Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

KillHour posted:

My very poor understanding as someone who does not live in Eastern Europe, but had it explained to me by a Ukranian at one point, is that when Ukrane was a part of the USSR, it was referred to that way, because Ukrane means "bread basket" and it was where the food was grown. It's kind of like saying "The Midwest" if you're in the US. By continuing to call it that, you're basically saying Ukrane (the country) is actually The ukrane (region of Russia) in the same way you would say The midwest (region of the United States).

The theory (one of many, but kind of the dominant one, I guess) is that it actually comes from the old Slavic word for "borderland," so calling it "The Ukraine" implies that it's just Russia's frontier and not a separate country/culture itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

No, because 'The Ukraine' is treating it as a place rather than a country, and this has been something Russia has been subtly doing. Putin already made it clear he does not view Ukraine as a legitimate country, he feels that its a territory that must be subservient to Russian interests to that end they often repeatedly call Ukraine "the ukraine"

Right, I don't see it. Ask me where I am from, and I would probably answer "The Czech Republic" and wouldn't consider it as saying that somehow it is not a country.

-----

Anyway, I am willing to drop it here because I don't have a particular issue with using the article-less version, it just seems weird.

Mokotow posted:

I guess it’s hard for non-native English speakers? I’d say “the United States of America”, for example. Conversely, in Polish we’d say “jadę do Ukrainy” and not „na Ukrainę” because „do” is for countries and „na” is for regions, or something to that effect.

I thought about this a bit, and there are countries I would use "na" for and places I would use "do" for, and while the former might not be grammaticla, the latter definitely is. Language is hard :v:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Most importantly: referring to people using the terms that they prefer to be referred by indicates that you respect them and consider them equals. People who purposefully and deliberately and repeatedly ignore those terms and use their own terms are indicating that they either do not respect those people and consider them equals, or that they do not find that putting in the effort to change an old habit is worthwhile.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Majorian posted:

The theory (one of many, but kind of the dominant one, I guess) is that it actually comes from the old Slavic word for "borderland," so calling it "The Ukraine" implies that it's just Russia's frontier and not a separate country/culture itself.

Thanks for clarifying. Same kinda vibe. You're implying there's a "of..." at the end of that, grammatically. But more importantly, sometimes things are just bad because assholes used them that way and you look like one of those assholes if you do it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Could we get an Ukrainian poster here to clarify their preference?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Cugel the Clever posted:

The reference is to the posters usage of "the Ukraine", not their usage of "the Ukrainian government".

As for the US, it's similar to the UK, but not "the America" it "the Great Britain". I'm not a linguist, so I couldn't explain what English is doing there. But in those cases, people would just look at you weird, versus Ukraine, where it is explicitly used as a dog whistle.

I think it's mostly just a combination of native English speakers (and a few others, like the Czech example) being used to throwing "the" in front of a country's name, then hearing or seeing "the Ukraine" in media and not thinking anything of it. I've always said just "Ukraine" but it never occurred to me that the alternative was actually a dogwhistle until it came up in the previous thread.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Cugel the Clever posted:

The reference is to the posters usage of "the Ukraine", not their usage of "the Ukrainian government".

As for the US, it's similar to the UK, but not "the America" it "the Great Britain". I'm not a linguist, so I couldn't explain what English is doing there. But in those cases, people would just look at you weird, versus Ukraine, where it is explicitly used as a dog whistle.

Doh, I didn't notice the first one.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

KillHour posted:

Thanks for clarifying. Same kinda vibe. You're implying there's a "of..." at the end of that, grammatically. But more importantly, sometimes things are just bad because assholes used them that way and you look like one of those assholes if you do it.

Yeah, I think there's a lot of that. If you wear a red baseball cap in some parts of the U.S., you're probably going to get some dirty looks (or approving looks in other parts of the country), even if it doesn't say MAGA on it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

Xarn posted:

Right, I don't see it. Ask me where I am from, and I would probably answer "The Czech Republic" and wouldn't consider it as saying that somehow it is not a country.

If it’s a noun and adjective, it always is with a definite article. The United States, the Dominican Republic, the Ivory Coast, and so on. That’s just how English language works.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Mokotow posted:

I guess it’s hard for non-native English speakers? I’d say “the United States of America”, for example. Conversely, in Polish we’d say “jadę do Ukrainy” and not „na Ukrainę” because „do” is for countries and „na” is for regions, or something to that effect.

Xarn posted:

I thought about this a bit, and there are countries I would use "na" for and places I would use "do" for, and while the former might not be grammaticla, the latter definitely is. Language is hard :v:

The way it was explained to me, some right-wing elements use a "na Ukrainu" construction in Slavic languages to imply that Ukraine is a region of Russia and not its own country. The grammar is less clear in English but it gets exported over as "the Ukraine."

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If it’s a noun and adjective, it always is with a definite article. The United States, the Dominican Republic, the Ivory Coast, and so on. That’s just how English language works.

drat that actually works

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I think all the damage to English-speaking poster perception here was done by a single 1995 episode of Seinfeld.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
And the Gambia just to throw a wrench into it

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, blame that one on the river.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

The way it was explained to me, some right-wing elements use a "na Ukrainu" construction in Slavic languages to imply that Ukraine is a region of Russia and not its own country. The grammar is less clear in English but it gets exported over as "the Ukraine."

Yeah, the thing is when Ukraine was a part of the USSR, you’d say “na Ukrainę” and that’s how it was until independence, and most people would still say “na Ukrainę”. It’s a similar case with Croatia - people incorrectly say “na Chorwację” but since it’s its own country now, “do Chorwacji” is correct. But then it’s gently caress logic Polish, you’d never go “na Estonię” during USSR for some reason, even though you’d go “na Litwę” and “na Łotwę”. :iiam:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

If I recall correctly, they named their country after a river. The real mystery is the Netherlands, which seems to be completely random.

Much like their language. :colbert:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The simple fact is the Ukraine harkens to a time when the country was an imperial subject, it has connotations of old colonialist /racist mindset, and is not palatable for the same reasons we no longer talk about Ceylon or Celebes or Malaya or Rumania or Burma... Whether or not it makes grammatical sense is immaterial.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Mokotow posted:

Yeah, the thing is when Ukraine was a part of the USSR, you’d say “na Ukrainę” and that’s how it was until independence, and most people would still say “na Ukrainę”. It’s a similar case with Croatia - people incorrectly say “na Chorwację” but since it’s its own country now, “do Chorwacji” is correct. But then it’s gently caress logic Polish, you’d never go “na Estonię” during USSR for some reason, even though you’d go “na Litwę” and “na Łotwę”. :iiam:

Sure and we're not straight up banning "the Ukraine."

It's the intent that matters, if someone is using it deliberately to piss people off well that's a lame form of trolling and we don't need people making GBS threads the thread up with it. Intent is not always easy to infer so I'm going to keep being pedantic about it for a bit.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If I recall correctly, they named their country after a river. The real mystery is the Netherlands, which seems to be completely random.

That's also an adjective and a noun. Just weirdly.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

after Ukraine gained independence in 1991, the Associated Press officially dropped the use of “the” to indicate it was a country. for over three decades, the government has had an official policy of requesting that English speakers not use the “the” because it considers the term to imply that ukraine is a territory of a larger power

i would not use it unless your aim is to piss people off

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

Sure and we're not straight up banning "the Ukraine."

It's the intent that matters, if someone is using it deliberately to piss people off well that's a lame form of trolling and we don't need people making GBS threads the thread up with it. Intent is not always easy to infer so I'm going to keep being pedantic about it for a bit.

Yeah, thanks for explaining! It’s certainly good to put these things together and know its not strictly down to grammar, but actual hostile language.

Also, what’s that with Rumania? I keep seeing that spelling, but always though its one of those latent grammatical mistakes, like “hanger” instead of “hangar”.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
from what i understand, almost all "the" names in english either come from

1) previous eras where said country was seen as just a geographical region/province of a greater, usually colonial empire. the gambia, the ivory coast, (we actually don't use 'the' too much here) the philippines, the netherlands etc. some still hold over in, let's say antiquated, off-color usage, like the ukraine, the congo, the sudan, etc.

2) where the "government structure" is part of the common name. 'x' republic, the united kingdom, etc.

or both.

"the united states" is called that because the individual states were seen much more separately up until the American Civil War, where they were usually called "These United States" etc.

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 16, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

steinrokkan posted:

The simple fact is the Ukraine harkens to a time when the country was an imperial subject, it has connotations of old colonialist /racist mindset, and is not palatable for the same reasons we no longer talk about Ceylon or Celebes or Malaya or Rumania or Burma... Whether or not it makes grammatical sense is immaterial.

Ceylon's kinda in an odd boat there, it's broadly an acceptable term for the island as long as you're not talking to someone even more ultranationalist than usual. or possibly, it's fine to use it to Sri Lankans but not to Brits :v:

Some of it might also be that Sri Lanka maintains good relations with the rest of the Commonwealth and feelings about British occupation are Complicated. I might compare the latter - or heck, both - with the Filipino "sure, the Americans were kinda dicks, but they weren't the Spanish or the goddamn Japanese".

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

"Lands" is a noun. The lowlands, the highlands, the wetlands, etc.

Fake edit: The Nether-regions.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

after Ukraine gained independence in 1991, the Associated Press officially dropped the use of “the” to indicate it was a country. for over three decades, the government has had an official policy of requesting that English speakers not use the “the” because it considers the term to imply that ukraine is a territory of a larger power

i would not use it unless your aim is to piss people off

This entire argument is really just an example of how goons are old and are remembering what they learned as a young kid/grade school if English is their first language.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Can we split the thread into those using the Ukraine and those using Ukraine as phrasing

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Can we split the thread into those using the Ukraine and those using Ukraine as phrasing

I'm going to go a step further and start calling it Poland.

Edit: The PoLands

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

KillHour posted:

I'm going to go a step further and start calling it Poland.

now those are some real fighting words, what with the reason a big chunk of western Ukraine is in modern Ukraine

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Gumball Gumption posted:

This entire argument is really just an example of how goons are old and are remembering what they learned as a young kid/grade school if English is their first language.

im p sure it's just one guy using it intentionally to stir poo poo and a bunch of people jumping in with variations of the same explanation

but, yeah, goons old

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's also potentially (but not necessarily) indicative of media consumption. Moscow-oriented media sticks with the pejorative usage, so folks who are quick to downplay Russia's belligerence while centering complaints about the West and Ukraine will often go with the language they hear most.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cugel the Clever posted:

It's also potentially (but not necessarily) indicative of media consumption. Moscow-oriented media sticks with the pejorative usage, so folks who are quick to downplay Russia's belligerence while centering complaints about the West and Ukraine will often go with the language they hear most.

ah, the "people who disagree with me are bad, uncouth people" manouver, a classic of modern discourse

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Linguistics is complicated subject and clearly lost among some people.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you're really baffled by the concept in english just look at the same country. The French Republic, aka France. The Federal Republic of Germany, aka Germany. Never the France or the Germany. Hell the Czech Republic is bordered by the Slovak Republic, commonly known as just Slovakia. The United States of America, aka either the United States or America, never the America. There's a tiny handful of exceptions, like the Netherlands which is an old timey adjective + noun aka the Low Lands, and many countries named after rivers or islands.

You should also use the accepted diplomatic name selected by the country in question if you aren't trying to make a point.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Mokotow posted:

drat that actually works

The Bahamas
The Maldives
The Gambia
The Netherlands
The Phillipines

The Vatican City

The Hague
The Dalles
The Bronx

It's English, there is no rhyme, there is no reason, but there is no "The" in "Ukraine."

piL fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 16, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

^ fwiw, I didn’t mean adjective+noun to be an exclusive rule for countries

OddObserver posted:

That's also an adjective and a noun. Just weirdly.

KillHour posted:

"Lands" is a noun. The lowlands, the highlands, the wetlands, etc.

Fake edit: The Nether-regions.

That’s how I explain it to myself, sure, but it doesn’t feel as clean as others. People don’t really say the Newfoundland.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Linguistics is complicated subject and clearly lost among some people.

Well let's go ahead and flush out any linguists in the thread just to be certain then

*clears throat*

You can tell Sapir-Whorf is correct because Klingons are very warlike and so is their language

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Let's bring in the real expert on naming things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ7kioOFM-g

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

^ fwiw, I didn’t mean adjective+noun to be an exclusive rule for countries

That’s how I explain it to myself, sure, but it doesn’t feel as clean as others. People don’t really say the Newfoundland.

It sounds awkward?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rju4RWdEyZk&t=100s

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzLtF_PxbYw

US foreign policy looking very desperate and Newman-like these days as the semi-periphery pushes back against their chronic obsession with neocolonialism and undermining the sovereignty of weaker nations using underhanded forms of political, military and economic duress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!