Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/AmongUsGame/status/1493298970805686273?s=20&t=XMcoSZ_3cVaieD9hO0RK2A

thanks amongus twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
You're welcome

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mix. posted:

thanks amongus twitter

This but extremely and brutally sincerely

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

smh getting your deres mixed up like that

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Namtab posted:

This but extremely and brutally sincerely

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Following up on my Haruhi Suzimiya watchthrough in January, I just finished The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan.

- I think this was the most generic anime I've ever watched. Like, if I had never seen an anime before and I had only seen images or little meme clips of them or something, this is what I would imagine anime to be. I guess that's what happens when you take away a show's central conceit and play the world mostly straight.
- That said, since I do already like the characters from the original show and movie, I still had a lot of fun watching this alternate take on their dynamics and world. Yuki is obviously very different, but Haruhi and Tsuruyu are just toned down 30%, Kyon is basically the same but less of a grump because Haruhi's less extreme, and Asakura, Mikuru, and Koizume are also roughly similar just without secret identities.
- Gotta say that, having now watched all of the Haruhi universe content that I'm aware of, Tsuruya never really worked as a character for me in any of it. Her main function in this show was seemingly to inflict suffering on Mikuru in Haruhi's steed, which, fair enough I guess. Somebody's gotta do it.
- Asakura was the star of the show for me. Her friendship with Yuki was sweet, and her constant conflicts with Haruhi made both characters more interesting, in the same way that I thought the feuding between Konata and Tsukasa made Lucky Star work.
- Although the first half of the show was the most insubstantial fluff I can imagine, I also enjoyed it significantly more than the more plot-heavy second half. It was so nice and cozy! I've been sick so the lighthearted vibes were just what I needed.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've finished vivy so that's two anime finished this year. hooray. maybe i can pull off one per month or something.....

i did start kageki shoujo however

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdowdyeCeYg

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
ooh ooh ooh oohhhh

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Should I watch concrete revolution

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i liked it. its very passionate about its love for jp history of kids' heroes in anime/manga/toku etc. and weaves it into commentary on stuff like disillusionment with government and social revolutionary movements (hence 'revolutio'). sometimes its messy about the main plot (most of the finale for me really) but there's a handful of one-off eps (or side chars that get 2-3 ep arcs scattered across the show) that are great and everyone is likeable and there's lots of layers to everyone's pasts and struggles. and its cool

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I binged through to the end of Gridman. Feels silly to use spoiler tags for an old show nobody else here is watching

That was pretty special. It's such a unique feeling. Looking back, I can say that it achieved what it was trying to do masterfully all the way from episode one, but that what it was trying to do was so unusual that it felt off, by design. The low-energy, dreamy atmosphere of the ordinary life and the very formulaic robot vs kaiju battles are disjointed in mood, because that's the point of the story. Gridman and his enemy don't belong in this world so of course they feel different from the rest of it.

I almost don't want to watch the sequel because I feel like a lot of the magic comes from the fact that you never really learn poo poo. The world the show takes place in is a tiny little closed circle barely intersecting with a much larger universe. Restricting the viewpoint to be that tiny circle makes it feel important, but if you zoomed out the camera, and made this just be yet another adventure of Hyper Agent Gridman, battling aliens across dimensions, then it wouldn't be special anymore. Rikka and Utsumi can be important only because the camera is zoomed in. It has the vibe of a single episode of a larger serial spread across an entire cour. I see that Gridman was originally a 40-episode live action show so maybe SSSS.Gridman is even based on one of the adventures Gridman got up to during that run. It's exciting to think about the bigger world, but cozy to not need to explore it. A strange feeling.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Up next is Odd Taxi which I've been led to believe is a bit off from my usual tastes but forums poster Metis of the Hallways told me to watch it and she has absolutely unerring skill at naming shows I absolutely love

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
fwiw dynazenon is very much its own thing and keeps things similarly vague. it's a spiritual successor with some minor tie-ins rather than a direct sequel

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tabletops posted:

Nah

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Space Flower posted:

i liked it. its very passionate about its love for jp history of kids' heroes in anime/manga/toku etc. and weaves it into commentary on stuff like disillusionment with government and social revolutionary movements (hence 'revolutio'). sometimes its messy about the main plot (most of the finale for me really) but there's a handful of one-off eps (or side chars that get 2-3 ep arcs scattered across the show) that are great and everyone is likeable and there's lots of layers to everyone's pasts and struggles. and its cool

Ok I’ll watch

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Up next is Odd Taxi which I've been led to believe is a bit off from my usual tastes but forums poster Metis of the Hallways told me to watch it and she has absolutely unerring skill at naming shows I absolutely love

:cheerdoge: enjoy

I watched odd taxi weekly and am jealous you can binge it for your watch

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I almost don't want to watch the sequel because I feel like a lot of the magic comes from the fact that you never really learn poo poo.
The sequel is pretty different tonally but doesnt really explain the setting anymore or anything, its not some deep dive lore thing. Its very character focused.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, SSSS Gridman and Dynazenon are very good shows but basically the only connection the latter has to the former is the return of two specific characters (also Dynazenon itself is modeled after a support robot from the OG Gridman and there’s a direct reference to that series later on)

The original live action series is alright for the most part but I kind of prefer the anime sequels more overall.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Does any site list it as having sequel/prequel relations? AniDBs graph shows them as 'other'.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Does any site list it as having sequel/prequel relations? AniDBs graph shows them as 'other'.

The shows themselves literally paint it as a sequel (complete with them using some archival audio from the live action show during Dynazenon)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 16, 2022

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Tabletops posted:

Yeah do it

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's a sequel. it takes place in the same canon at a later time. it's a sequel. there's no argument here, just "correct" and "not"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

All 3 shows have surprisingly decent English adaptions as well (the Power Rangers style adaption of the original Gridman also has slightly more entertaining characters in my opinion and the main villain is voiced by Tim Curry).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 16, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

lih posted:

fwiw dynazenon is very much its own thing and keeps things similarly vague. it's a spiritual successor with some minor tie-ins rather than a direct sequel

Endorph posted:

The sequel is pretty different tonally but doesnt really explain the setting anymore or anything, its not some deep dive lore thing. Its very character focused.

Well that's good to know

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

All 3 shows have surprisingly decent English adaptions as well (the Power Rangers style adaption of the original Gridman also has slightly more entertaining characters in my opinion and the main villain is voiced by Tim Curry).
SSSS. Gridman references Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad a lot. for instance. SSSS.

And all the assist weapons have names and attacks that reference the american cast's names.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I can understand being worried that Dynazenon would overexplain Gridman, but it instead introduces a ton of its own new concepts and explains them way, way less than Gridman ever did.

It's pretty cool.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

SSSS. Gridman references Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad a lot. for instance. SSSS.

And all the assist weapons have names and attacks that reference the american cast's names.

Yeah, I was aware of that.

Come to think of it, was Syber Squad ever redubbed and aired in Japan the way Power Rangers was out of curiosity?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Am I right in guessing that the original Gridman was a pretty typical robots vs monsters action show and the dreamy, half-explained nature of SSSS.Gridman is original to that show?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Am I right in guessing that the original Gridman was a pretty typical robots vs monsters action show and the dreamy, half-explained nature of SSSS.Gridman is original to that show?

Are you familiar with the Ultraman series? It’s basically that only in cyberspace and with a few extra robots added into the mix (also the protagonists are teenagers operating out of a basement as opposed to a military organization)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Larryb posted:

Are you familiar with the Ultraman series? It’s basically that only in cyberspace and with a few extra robots added into the mix (also the protagonists are teenagers operating out of a basement as opposed to a military organization)

I'm not

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1494071736429654025?t=zaSiU9heQVO_wyHcXSoifQ&s=19

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

There was a slightly dreamy atmosphere to the original Gridman, in that a lot of really random concepts were introduced for a single episode and never elaborated on, so there is that connection, but the pace was a lot more typical tokusatsu and the characters didn't have the long rambling conversations. That's mostly the director's style, you can see it in the episodes of idolm@ster he worked on and such.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Power Rangers except there’s usually only one of them and it’s all giant fights

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

WHAT

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

So, does anyone know anything about Seven Seas publishing/resale in Europe? Asking for a friend.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Seven seas is doing good work

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

:aaa: It finally happened!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

oh fuuuuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

lol I was rushing in here to post this.

Finally. I have been waiting to buy a copy of this for over 15 years now.