Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ulio posted:

From the subreddit

unironically that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I do think that this game will be more demanding than Sekiro was. It's a big open world game, and that usually means that your hardware will be pushed harder. The degree to which the system requirements crept up is surprising though, so I do think there will be some wiggle room on the low end, but if you have really old hardware then you might be in trouble. We'll see in a week.

Yeah I wouldn't look to Sekiro for reassurance on CPU requirements. Going from linear environments with constrained enemies to an open world with enemies all over the place must be more taxing on the CPU. There are more enemies to keep track of at any given time, and their AI may be more complex to handle pathfinding in an open environment. I would expect wiggle room on GPU since you can scale its utilization with graphics settings and resolution, but it's a lot harder to scale down stuff that runs on the CPU.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 16, 2022

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I think I'm looking forward to the release of Elden Ring more now just to end the nonstop speculation about PC requirements.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Relevant Tangent posted:

unironically that

git gud, gpu

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
The PC requirements are to shut the hell up and talk about what kind of skeletons there will be and how cool the swords will be.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Can’t wait for the easy mode discourse a week after release

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
easy mode was always summoning other people and watching them play the game for you. Sekiro didnt have that, or builds, and was a genuinely hard game. So you really had to get good. Which is why that game had so much easy mode discussion

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Disco Pope posted:

The PC requirements are to shut the hell up and talk about what kind of skeletons there will be and how cool the swords will be.

classic nude skeleton, skeleton wearing a robe, skeleton with cleavers for arms, skeleton with bird wings, skeleton shaped like a wheel, skeleton pot, skeleton dragon, etc. many opportunities for skeleton ecological diversity await

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

easy mode was always summoning other people and watching them play the game for you. Sekiro didnt have that, or builds, and was a genuinely hard game. So you really had to get good. Which is why that game had so much easy mode discussion

I'm actually way worse at Bloodborne than I am at Sekiro, simply because Sekiro has a 100% block button.

Also running past every enemy to get to a boss is way easier in Sekiro.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

for the confused console gamers in the audience i mspainted up a rosetta stone for you guys to translate our gibberish language

How does radeon do it?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

hatty posted:

"the easy mode debate is not allowed itt"

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Charliegrs posted:

I think I'm looking forward to the release of Elden Ring more now just to end the nonstop speculation about PC requirements.

that's when the pc troubleshooting discourse begins

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Sekiro taught me exactly how much of my motivation to stick with these games was tied to my aesthetic appreciation from making a custom avatar for myself.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

that's when the pc troubleshooting discourse begins

Someone please find that Bloodborne gif of an enemy doing a big explosion attack and the player gets hit by it but gets up and is mostly OK, but then physics objects get hit by it and stuff shatters and the entire game goes into slomo.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

doingitwrong posted:

Sekiro taught me exactly how much of my motivation to stick with these games was tied to my aesthetic appreciation from making a custom avatar for myself.

Then you should play Nioh 2 if you haven't.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
A friend of mine was having a rough time with Sekiro and I told him to just stop moving around and hold down block for a bit against enemies and his experience instantly improved.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

punished milkman posted:

classic nude skeleton, skeleton wearing a robe, skeleton with cleavers for arms, skeleton with bird wings, skeleton shaped like a wheel, skeleton pot, skeleton dragon, etc. many opportunities for skeleton ecological diversity await

Hell you can make skeleton versions of enemies that don’t make any sense, even in a magical fantasy setting. E.g. the Bone Piranha Plants from Mario. Why the gently caress do plants have bones?! Also the motorcycle skeletons from Castlevania 64.

Cant wait for videos of people modding in a motorcycle model in place of Torrent.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

A friend of mine was having a rough time with Sekiro and I told him to just stop moving around and hold down block for a bit against enemies and his experience instantly improved.

Yeah, it's hard to watch new players dodge around a lot because they are nervous about the big enemies, they are actively harming themselves!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I love how Midir's grand opening attack where he breathes fire and runs across the arena will never touch you as long as you don't get intimidated and stay put.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, it's hard to watch new players dodge around a lot because they are nervous about the big enemies, they are actively harming themselves!

Yeah, even once I learned to stop trying to dodge so much, I still kept circling enemies for no real reason. The Ashina Elite in the dojo is so much easier if you just stand there and wait to parry his bullshit.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

hatty posted:

"Elden Ring hides its difficulty toggle behind optional gameplay features" is really the perfect answer for either side of the argument

But mostly the anti-easy mode people, like 99% the anti-easy mode people, it's very important for me that they know they picked easy mode when they decided to co-op/strafe that boss on horseback/summon spirits/use magic/etc. If that prospect bothers them then they can always work towards getting over the label and just enjoy the game lmao

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it’s funny because metal gear revengeance prepared me for sekiro far better than any souls game did

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Regular DSR oversharpens the image by default but DLDSR does a better job with sharpening, and you can adjust the sharpening value in the nvidia driver settings if it's too sharp.

Yeah the sharpening is pretty insane compared to base dsr, also I think I used the wrong screenshot there since it's missing details (think you have to use geforce to get the full processing effect), here's a better one. I never noticed the freaky tentacles before. Definitely want to do the opposite of regular dsr and crank smoothness up to at least 33-50%

native 1080p v dldsr 2.25 0%

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

wait are you telling me the reason i suck so much at sekiro is because i was trying to adapt to ninja flipping bullshit when i should have been my usual tank and spank rear end in a top hat self

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
lol there's already people streaming the game, anyone who cares better go into lockdown mode

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Baggot posted:

Then you should play Nioh 2 if you haven't.

I kind of love Nioh 2.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Flytrap posted:

wait are you telling me the reason i suck so much at sekiro is because i was trying to adapt to ninja flipping bullshit when i should have been my usual tank and spank rear end in a top hat self

my dude with maybe some rare exceptions if it doesn’t have a red warning symbol above your head you can deflect it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Flytrap posted:

Yeah just stand there and parry everything lol. Only dodge to reposition or do the dodge counter on thrusts

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Charliegrs posted:

Pffft, that means we'll just get the troubleshooting posts then.

Disco Pope posted:

:hai:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Perfect Potato posted:

lol there's already people streaming the game, anyone who cares better go into lockdown mode

i been locked down for years bro

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

my dude with maybe some rare exceptions if it doesn’t have a red warning symbol above your head you can deflect it

and even if it does sometimes :eng101:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

skasion posted:

Yeah just stand there and parry everything lol. Only dodge to reposition or do the dodge counter on thrusts

Holy poo poo i never even tried to parry anything that was anything stranger than a slightly tall human. Those big hammer assholes always took forever to kill because of it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Flytrap posted:

Holy poo poo i never even tried to parry anything that was anything stranger than a slightly tall human. Those big hammer assholes always took forever to kill because of it.

You're the most powerful monster in Sekiro it rules.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm having a flashback to 10 years ago when i was playing dark souls for the first time and it was a revelation to me that if you had a heavy enough shield you could block just about anything. ninja gaiden for the xbox had drilled into me that some (most) attacks were simply designated "unblockable" and not to try

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

now i'm having a flashback to close to 10 years before that one of my earliest forum memories of telling some guy that the best way to practice counterattacks in ninja gaiden was to go to this one place in this sewer where it only spawns in yellow imps that have no attacks that can break your block so you could just stand there and let them wail on you while you got the timing down. i'm old.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Anno posted:

Instead of playing through DS3 again in preparation I'd actually rather watch a LP. Are there any recommended? Preferably with the DLC since I never saw that, and cool if it's a 100%/lore type thing too.

This was asked a while back, but I'd recommend these.

This guy is funny and generally entertaining, and the vids are edited down. He deserves more views. Edit: This is also his first Souls game:
Desoteric

This gal is hilarious and fun to watch and feisty as gently caress and the vids are mostly un-edited (i.e. this will be a lot more hours of watching than the first link):
8 Bites

Or if you just want to see someone beat the whole game + DLC in around 5 hours without getting hit once by anything:
Hob

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 17, 2022

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
there's the occasional time where it's still not really a good idea to parry everything in sekiro, due to taking too much posture damage as a result, but you can get a long way with it anyway

oh it looks like copies are out there in the wild & there's footage of the final game floating around. the ui changes are a little odd idk

lih fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 17, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

fun fact if you deflect (good timed "parry", a "parry" in sekiro's jargon just being a "block") you can never be posture broken. you will gain posture meter, yes, but so long as you deflect any attack that would put you over the top, you will not stagger.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

So long as you are not hesitating, you can not be defeated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

fun fact if you deflect (good timed "parry", a "parry" in sekiro's jargon just being a "block") you can never be posture broken. you will gain posture meter, yes, but so long as you deflect any attack that would put you over the top, you will not stagger.

I just got in the habit of calling it a perfect parry because of all the nomenclature confusion