Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1493960848066453510

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kyojin posted:

Painting knowers what is the source painting?

https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/about-us/art-collections/collection-highlights/applicants-for-admission-to-a-casual-ward/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah, thus mumsnet :hmmyes:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
No wind here in Dundee at all, for shame, I was all geared up for a crazy storm

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Friday's going to be pretty brutal for the wind. Some models are showing areas with 105+mph gusts, so I can see them issuing a red warning very soon.

Stay safe, and tie down your cats.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1494041588116471808

Love me some weather trampoline chaos. The name of the train just seals the deal

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All that bisto it's carrying to his family will be late.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Do they really, earnestly believe that they're just 'ard unlike the soft 'kids'?

I think the act of writing, and reading, things to that effect serves as an act of reification. It is vastly preferable to simple believe that everyone who isn't you is worthless and everyone you believe has cultural value would agree with you that you are the best person in the world.

You see it all over the place but it is especially obvious with the right as they work backwards to incorporate undeniable social victories into their worldview. They are simultaneously the true heirs to the legacy of civil rights and feminism and thus have the authority to tell all the civil rights campaigners and feminists that they're idiots. It is pure mythmaking, the desire to believe oneself to be right, and more importantly, historically vindicated, and rather than changing your opinions to accord with history, you simply imagine history and the present to be something different than they are, assisted by the process of repeating the ideas to yourself and to other, likeminded people.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Mebh posted:

It is very windy at that. I have secured the horse poo poo properly at least.

...did you put it back inside the horse?

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Borrovan posted:

Quick question:

Is it scabbing to go into the office on strike days for the sole purpose of getting my books on labour law so that I can advise the Committee on something that just came up in a Union meeting? We aren't picketing every day so no literal picket lines, just figurative ones. It really doesn't sit well with me though, even though in practical terms it's strictly beneficial to our action.

Imo of it means crossing a picket line then it's not worth it.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Guys, do not cross a picket line for any reason whatsoever. What's difficult about that?

Remember those Labour councillors who crossed the picket line to have a meeting about whether to support the strike or not? They were rightly condemned for crossing the picket line.

You do not cross a picket line! Trade unionism 101. Whether you're going to work, getting some personal belongings, or whatever. Don't cross a picket line.

Sure it isn't scabbing to sneak in and grab your books, but it *is* crossing a picket line and, well, don't cross a picket line.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Why wouldn't you just ask your fellow strikers how they feel about it

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

StarkingBarfish posted:

Love me some weather trampoline chaos. The name of the train just seals the deal

Really hoping that OLE was isolated.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that why he has a big stick? So he doesn't get electrocuted?

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Dabir posted:

It's not scabbing to literally just be in the building if you're not doing work imo.

If you're crossing a picket line to enter that building then it is as good as, imo.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
We shouldn't cross picket lines, obviously, but that means performing labour. It's maybe a bit reductionist to take that too literally. You wouldn't be meaningfully breaking a picket by running past the line to go take a poo poo in the building if you were desperate. I personally wouldn't hold it against someone to nip by the office to pick up their own possessions, so long as they weren't then using those possessions to continue to perform a job for the place of work on strike. Similarly though, not crossing any physical line but continuing to do work from home would count as crossing it.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 16, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One weird trick to defeat the revolution: go on strike at the armoury.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

When I was in sixth form our college’s union went on strike because they’d had 12 consecutive votes of no confidence over the college’s principal, all of which were unanimous against him. Anyway, my maths A Level lecturer was in a different union that didn’t believe in striking, considering teaching to be a profession like nursing that was too important to risk a strike. She informed us that on the strike day, the class would be held as normal, and if we didn’t attend we’d be marked as absent. So, she demanded that we cross a picket line in order to go to maths.

I don’t think anyone went.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

ThomasPaine posted:

We shouldn't cross picket lines, obviously, but that means performing labour. It's maybe a bit reductionist to take that too literally. You wouldn't be meaningfully breaking a picket by running past the line to go take a poo poo in the building if you were desperate. I personally wouldn't hold it against someone to nip by the office to pick up their own possessions, so long as they weren't then using those possessions to continue to perform a job for the place of work on strike. Similarly though, not crossing any physical line but continuing to do work from home would count as crossing it.

Maybe I'm overreacting but I never would. I'd rather go without whatever I've left in there than to be seen entering my place of work for any reason whatsoever if we were on strike.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Prole posted:

Maybe I'm overreacting but I never would. I'd rather go without whatever I've left in there than to be seen entering my place of work for any reason whatsoever if we were on strike.

Why, though? How does it damage the strike to go in and get your book? It's not facilitating work, it's not helping the work happen. I'm not being a dick, I honestly don't understand.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Prole posted:

Yeah I admit it doesn't look great, but it's not like you're actually doing any work, and I can see why you'd consider it if whatever stuff you had in the office was essential for some other thing you're doing not connected to your employer. Guess you just have to make a judgement call based on how much you need whatever it is, and how big a deal the optics are going to be. If you're some average joe it's probably not going to amount to much, but if you're one of those rare higher ups who's made a point of joining the strike maybe best not.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Comrade Fakename posted:

When I was in sixth form our college’s union went on strike because they’d had 12 consecutive votes of no confidence over the college’s principal, all of which were unanimous against him. Anyway, my maths A Level lecturer was in a different union that didn’t believe in striking, considering teaching to be a profession like nursing that was too important to risk a strike. She informed us that on the strike day, the class would be held as normal, and if we didn’t attend we’d be marked as absent. So, she demanded that we cross a picket line in order to go to maths.

I don’t think anyone went.

Interesting union that doesn't believe in collective action

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had a physics and biology teacher that didn't believe in evolution and thought the universe was 6000 years old, union that doesn't believe in strikes is not even the weirdest thing I've heard from a teacher.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

StarkingBarfish posted:

laughing at him jostling it with a big pole like it is a vicious beast

during storm ophelia some years ago i saw one zooming across a dual carriageway, people who don't moor them properly are a menace to society imo :mad:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

BalloonFish posted:

That's why four short years of the Labour Party having actual social democratic policies, most of which would be unremarkable in much of Europe, caused so many people's minds to snap in two and they've never recovered.
Ages ago someone in this thread put forward the theory that Corbyn drove centrists mad because they love to think of themselves as the nice guys, so as soon as someone came along offering to be nicer and genuinely improve things they were clamouring to tear him down so they could reclaim the high ground.

crazy she would openly call out her co presenter like that

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Prole posted:

you're being an a bit of a weirdo.

like if your kids insulin is in there but no the weird necessity to respect a probably not even there physical picket line

pick your battles better

edit --> this is an edit about me being arrogant lol --> lol maybe i dunno, what an arrogant post lol

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
while i'm reminded of it, Pratchett fans will likely enjoy this anecdote

i was in an Asda in one of the towns I work in sometimes. I'd never been in it before and not long after i'd gone in with my trolley, i started getting this uneasy, vertiginous feeling in the produce aisle, sort of like i was on a boat. then i let go of my trolley to reach at some onions and i went to put them in the trolley, and it was teetering off by itself. this kept happening every time i let go of the trolley, and Downpatrick is a funny and close-knit place and nobody else seemed to be finding this at all strange.

anyway i talked about it to someone at work and they told me the whole shopping centre was built on a reclaimed bog and bits of it are subsiding so that put my mind at ease

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you're being an a bit of a weirdo.

like if your kids insulin is in there but no the weird necessity to respect a probably not even there physical picket line

pick your battles better

edit --> this is an edit about me being arrogant lol --> lol maybe i dunno, what an arrogant post lol

Obvs there are emergencies and such. But to use the original example, are the books essential? Could you not just find them elsewhere? Do you *have* to enter the building? I'd honestly feel wrong even stepping foot inside my place of work if we were striking, unless it was to occupy the building or whatever (further direct action). As I say, I'm probably being oversensitive about it and others seem to disagree with me so I'll leave it there.

I've cancelled hospital appointments because I wouldn't enter the local hospital when junior doctors were striking. I wouldn't go into a shop to buy anything if workers were outside on strike. If I needed something from my place of work and I was on strike I'd honestly find a workaround. Maybe - as I have said - I'm overreacting. I'm unwell and feeling grouchy. And I'm. Ot judging anyone btw. I'm just saying I never would.

Prole fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 17, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Prole posted:

Obvs there are emergencies and such. But to use the original example, are the books essential? Could you not just find them elsewhere? Do you *have* to enter the building? I'd honestly feel wrong even stepping foot inside my place of work if we were striking, unless it was to occupy the building or whatever (further direct action). As I say, I'm probably being oversensitive about it and others seem to disagree with me so I'll leave it there.

you wont offend me you can tell me how wrong i am if you think so.

unless its about a certain brand of electric cars

I just think saying oh no someone might see me cross a picket line is a bit performative

although accusing someone of being performative is itself pretty poo poo

probably all on the same page

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

Is that why he has a big stick? So he doesn't get electrocuted?

Yeah. Not going to do much if it arcs to the trampoline and turns it into a cloud of angry plastic gas though.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I just think saying oh no someone might see me cross a picket line is a bit performative

although accusing someone of being performative is itself pretty poo poo

probably all on the same page

That's just it though. It's not necessarily about *being seen* to enter. It's more that I would *feel* that I shouldn't be there. As I say above, I've stayed away from places that aren't even my workplace I'm solidarity with strikers in the past. It's not about a physical picket line, it's more about the action of entering a place of work when workers are not doing so for very good reason.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Strong "what if you had to use the N-word to save a life" style hypothetical.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

if you can't handle my hypotheticals you could... i dunno...

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Failed Imagineer posted:

Strong "what if you had to use the N-word to save a life" style hypothetical.

Agreed, but didn't want to say so because I totally get their point. There are obvs extreme circumstances in which you would have to enter a place of work while on strike. And reasons why you would do so to *aid* the strike (ie, direct action like occupation or something).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'd also feel like it's about respecting the line in the sense that if they start letting anyone go in (even if they have a valid reason) it sort of destroys the message and then they risk having to let anyone go in as long as they have a good reason.

But the books would be useful. I dunno. I can kind of see both arguments and I don't think it's an absolute.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/TypeForVictory/status/1494034483108093956?s=20&t=MM0rH85ytbuD4I7kTRxzMw

https://twitter.com/TypeForVictory/status/1494071965514088448?s=20&t=MM0rH85ytbuD4I7kTRxzMw

Whelp. Thankfully I was on the earlier repayment plan and paid my loans off (for a Foundation Year and then a 1st Year and then dropping out) a couple of years ago.

This is some regressive poo poo though.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/iammightor/status/1494021434838032384

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Prole posted:

I've cancelled hospital appointments because I wouldn't enter the local hospital when junior doctors were striking. I wouldn't go into a shop to buy anything if workers were outside on strike. If I needed something from my place of work and I was on strike I'd honestly find a workaround. Maybe - as I have said - I'm overreacting. I'm unwell and feeling grouchy. And I'm. Ot judging anyone btw. I'm just saying I never would.

The books are literally resources to help the union, if that's not direct action then what is

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mebh posted:

I always thought people used ellipses for "dramatic pause" or for trailing off mid thought, leaving oneself open to interjection in conversation when writing casually online. They're absolutely rife in most persistent online chat rooms like MMOs (plug for irc!) I certainly use them far too often on here as a result...

I still remember my first SA probation for using XD as punctuation, and I still reflexively type lovely ascii smilies from growing up with old MMOs where you could pretty much identify people in your guild whatever character they were on by their weird quirks of emoji.

My first probation was for a low effort post. Pretty sure I essentially told Lemon Drizzle to shut up lib after he wrote a million words about some New Labour neoliberal bollocks.

It should never be a sin to tell libs to wheesht

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Dabir posted:

The books are literally resources to help the union, if that's not direct action then what is

And as I have said, I'm judging nobody. I just wouldn't cross a picket personally.