Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I just wanna point out that several of those pages weren't out when the realizations were originally made—anything from general receptions are new to the meta, relatively speaking.

And frankly, I would have loved to have Dante's passives for those boss fights, they make punching through enemies so much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Tempting, but I'm gonna see how far I can get with what I have. My first priority is to gently caress around with passives and decks as seldom as possible, and I think I can make it until the first Star fight without changing anything.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Unfortunately though, late Urban Nightmare opponents don't have any weakness to exploit. So Dante's weakness exploitation are kinda useless after the moment you obtain it barring certain Abnormality fight.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Finally finished Library. Even accounting for the ~100 hours or so I just left it running in the background out of normal habit and then exacerbated by not trusting the game to save my progress through a pile of uninvited guests, that was a lot of game.

Cards I most wish I'd started using earlier: rush down, feint. I still feel like I don't understand something going on inside the damage formula, because stacking +damage is way more powerful than I expected it to be, especially for types that are resisted/ineffective. I still had a ton of trouble with a few of the later fights because I couldn't stop trying to cram everything into a Gebura-shaped hole even when that was very much not the easiest approach. Really impressed with the design on this thing; it gets exhausting sometimes, but if you can avoid burning out I think it does a really nice job with gradually escalating challenges until you decide to step back and tweak your build to address the new problem and then having a huge pile of broken stuff you can put together to handle that problem when you really focus on it.

Still not touching their gacha with someone else's phone, but I'm glad PM are out there making stuff.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Are these what I think they are?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Lunar Suite posted:

Are these what I think they are?

They're almost definitely Carmen clippings, yes.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I am now a Star of the City. Steam says that 36.6% of players have the achievement for that, but only 26.9% have the one for beating the Crying Children. How is that possible?

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Solitair posted:

I am now a Star of the City. Steam says that 36.6% of players have the achievement for that, but only 26.9% have the one for beating the Crying Children. How is that possible?

It's because the achievements were added only shortly before the game was released. The SotC achievement fires if you have reached SotC immediately when you boot up your save, while the spoilered achievement needs you to beat the reception again.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I'm still blown away by the relatively high percentages on the endgame achievements. I would have expected this to bleed players before the end at an even higher rate than your typical AAA, but I guess it's a sufficiently self-selecting crowd to overcome the difficulty+length obstacles.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Irony.or.Death posted:

I'm still blown away by the relatively high percentages on the endgame achievements. I would have expected this to bleed players before the end at an even higher rate than your typical AAA, but I guess it's a sufficiently self-selecting crowd to overcome the difficulty+length obstacles.

also the progressive Early Access model means that many people who bought in early would play each chunk as is got released instead of having to do the whole game.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Torchlighter posted:

also the progressive Early Access model means that many people who bought in early would play each chunk as is got released instead of having to do the whole game.
I'm pretty sure this is exactly why their next game is a mobile game, since that's the structure of most gacha games.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Something I've never been clear on, as someone who beat LC and has only played a bit of Ruina... Spoilers obviously. Sorry for the dumb question.

Were all the sephirot made from the brains of their past selves? Or were some just made roughly in their image? I know everybody got killed when Binah or whatever her pre-sephirah name was attacked, but what about Michelle (Hod)? It implied that she killed herself and presumably she didn't do that in the building, did they go and take her body from her apartment?

There was some language in LC about them all leaving A, so I kinda assumed they quit, but then we have their roboclones, so...?

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Tiny Myers posted:

Something I've never been clear on, as someone who beat LC and has only played a bit of Ruina... Spoilers obviously. Sorry for the dumb question.

Were all the sephirot made from the brains of their past selves? Or were some just made roughly in their image? I know everybody got killed when Binah or whatever her pre-sephirah name was attacked, but what about Michelle (Hod)? It implied that she killed herself and presumably she didn't do that in the building, did they go and take her body from her apartment?

There was some language in LC about them all leaving A, so I kinda assumed they quit, but then we have their roboclones, so...?

I'm certain that somewhere it's expressly stated: yes, the sephirot were all made with the brains of their past selves. Certainly Garion's brain was shown physically inserted into Binah's chassis. And the only sephirah to behave differently from the rest, Tephiret B, was also shown to have a human brain inside; so there's nothing to suggest any of the sephirot aren't the original human brain in the chassis. So they must have retrieved Michelle's brain at some point. The City seems like a place that doesn't mind corpse desecration.

people do sometimes refer to their friends' or family's dying as "leaving" (particularly "leaving [the living friend or family] behind")

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 29, 2022

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

SITB posted:

It's because the achievements were added only shortly before the game was released. The SotC achievement fires if you have reached SotC immediately when you boot up your save, while the spoilered achievement needs you to beat the reception again.

I should have known, yeah.

Man, And Then Is Heard No More is such a good song.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Solitair posted:

I should have known, yeah.

Man, And Then Is Heard No More is such a good song.
I just wish the fight was better. It's a good fight mechanically with great aesthetics, but it just overstays its welcome.

ArchiveLurker
Sep 5, 2009
Finally cleared Kether. Initial shock of seeing a 25 minimum mass attack aside, bloodbath wasn't too bad once I remembered not to get paralyzed trying to clash the block pages. Aspiration probably took me more than 3 hours of attempts though. Winning clear had me barely finishing off the first set of lungs in the middle of Aspiration's mass attack by just eating it and finishing off the lungs with my own mass attacks. At best I could kill 3 lungs in the first 3 scenes, but I could never manage to control Hankering and kill the lungs. Pinocchio was a total joke; won on my first try even when I mistakenly redirected Eliminate Error when I didn't need to. Snow queen took a few tries to figure out how to break the ice with Angela but wasn't too bad. Remorse I beat on my second try even though I did not really engage with the mechanics. I was aware of the cost mechanics going on but didn't really go out of my way to manipulate costs other trying to get some cheaper mass attacks. In retrospect I over focused on Guilt and missed all of the power mechanics going in that phase.

GilliamYaeger posted:

I just wish the fight was better. It's a good fight mechanically with great aesthetics, but it just overstays its welcome.

And Then Is Heard No More is my favorite song in the game, but I have no idea why they decided so many phases was necessary. I'm not sure why the fight needed more phases than cherub, angel, and finally runaway unspeaking child.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
There's actually a sneaky trick to dealing with Aspiration.

I'm going to be showing it off in the thread because it's completely goddamn insane, but if you want to know it then click the spoiler:

If you use Learn to copy one of the Heart's counter-block pages and have any power bonus at all, you'll use it on them. The dice you attack them with keep the counter die properties, so you just clash all of its dice and instantly Stagger the Heart.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

TeeQueue posted:

Nikolai's Disposal destroys all of opponents' dice upon successful 1st hit. Well, since the counter block dice are nicely queued up together in one long chain of block, the results are funny.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Nikolai's Disposal destroys all of opponents' dice upon successful 1st hit. Well, since the counter block dice are nicely queued up together in one long chain of block, the results are funny.

this is also hilarious.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

ArchiveLurker posted:

And Then Is Heard No More is my favorite song in the game, but I have no idea why they decided so many phases was necessary. I'm not sure why the fight needed more phases than cherub, angel, and finally runaway unspeaking child.

Fun artbook fact: in the internal testing version, The Crying Children initially had even more phases for 2 and 4 babies respectively, for a total of 11 phases instead of a mere 7 :v:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Theantero posted:

Fun artbook fact: in the internal testing version, The Crying Children initially had even more phases for 2 and 4 babies respectively, for a total of 11 phases instead of a mere 7 :v:

EnjOy SAyInG
AdieU
aDIEu

:unsmigghh:

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

You can also one-side Regret her during the attack phase because she loses all counter dice during it.

In my original pre-nerf Hankering run I used Regret+Disposal to actually kill Aspiration since I didn't think of using Learn.

A Banana
Jun 11, 2013
Just posting here to share my pain.

I still had a spare floor so could have cleaned up if not for the softflock

Also as an aside, I just looked through the previous few pages of this thread again and I had no idea you could get useful uniques from general realizations. I think I did a couple right at the start of the game and found they just summoned mooks, and haven't touched that mechanic since.

A Banana fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 13, 2022

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

TeeQueue posted:

It isn't as good as the other ones but my strategy heavily relied on clashing them with power null cards like Trails of Blue to avoid getting owned by 20+ strength. Finally Boris' time to shine.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Man I can't-yet-also-can believe the LP thread predicted Distorted Yan's shtick.

Also I should really get around to doing that fight and the rest of the upper Star of the City receptions. At least, as soon as I get revenge on a certain fiery EGO.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Just got the achievement Do Cloned Rabbits dream of Rapid Gashes?. They knew. :allears:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcanuse posted:

Just got the achievement Do Cloned Rabbits dream of Rapid Gashes?. They knew. :allears:

They're in the same set, not a surprise is it?

Verant posted:

Man I can't-yet-also-can believe the LP thread predicted Distorted Yan's shtick.

It is extremely the kind of thread where someone would pretend they haven't played the game before to wow people with their incredible foresight, which is a thing people do sometimes for some reason. dunno about the guy you're talking about though.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
If I had to guess where the anime duo will end up, it'll either be the boring option or the cool option.

The boring option is Tiph's floor, because magical girls. The cool option is Chesed, because nothing is more anime than defeating your opponents with the invincible power of friendship.

NotteBoy97
Aug 17, 2021
Speaking of the LP I suddenly realized why TQ has driven the point about Angela either pretending to not see the Assistant Librarians or literally not being able to see them is because of the Keter Realization and how the Keter nuggets seem to just jump into the fight to help Angela. Would lead to a fun emotional moment for Angela after growing up as a person to acknowledge the Nuggets and them helping here in return even if for some reason this idea gives me Tron Bonne and her servbots vibes

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

NotteBoy97 posted:

Speaking of the LP I suddenly realized why TQ has driven the point about Angela either pretending to not see the Assistant Librarians or literally not being able to see them is because of the Keter Realization and how the Keter nuggets seem to just jump into the fight to help Angela. Would lead to a fun emotional moment for Angela after growing up as a person to acknowledge the Nuggets and them helping here in return even if for some reason this idea gives me Tron Bonne and her servbots vibes
She almost certainly already acknowledges them. When and why do you think she blocked her ability to see the employees? Answer: During the loops, around the time it started sinking in that she couldn't afford to give a gently caress about people if she wanted to progress and save them all - because she didn't have the heart to see people she'd almost certainly become close friends with die over and over and over again. Remember, the reason why she brought all the Sephirah back was because she does genuinely give a gently caress about them, and her near-incoherent rage at them thanking A instead of her is because they're thanking their tormentor instead of the person who worked tirelessly for millennia to save them. It stands to reason that she also gives a gently caress about the other people she's resurrecting, too. Even if it's probably too painful for her to even look at them just yet.

Legend of Ruina
Sep 29, 2021
I look forward to seeing how many parts the Crying Children ends up being.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
I'm guessing most of SotC fight will require multiple parts since some faction don't just pour all their named unit in the last act. RRR 2 in particular.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

I'm guessing most of SotC fight will require multiple parts since some faction don't just pour all their named unit in the last act. RRR 2 in particular.
Yeah, pretty much every faction has multiple fights. The main exceptions are Cane office and all the fights in the SotC Colors/Argalia chain.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

LP recording spoiler: I used Tiphereth. It was not particularly difficult with proper planning.

Getting to use memey and unusual decks or strategies is one of my favorite parts of this LP, I must admit.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

TeeQueue posted:

LP recording spoiler: I used Tiphereth. It was not particularly difficult with proper planning.

Getting to use memey and unusual decks or strategies is one of my favorite parts of this LP, I must admit.

Hope you're prepared for QoH straight out of the gate, given the way the thread votes. That fight is disgusting.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Qrr posted:

Hope you're prepared for QoH straight out of the gate, given the way the thread votes. That fight is disgusting.
It all depends on whether the thread can resist going for more TRAIN immediately. If they go for both TRAIN fights before anything else, TQ will have Bamboo Hat Kim and roflstomp QoH. Hell, even Sayo will make QoH relatively easy since bleed's really strong against her.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

You can fight QoH before UN, and I think right now Specifically Kurokumo is what is gating it.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

You need books from Kurokumo and Bremen to fight QoH, so… I’ll be fighting it right at the start of the level, but also I’ll have the two extra passive points from being in Urban Nightmare, so ultimately it all works out in the end.

I don’t particularly fear QoH though, it’s one of the fights I knew would be a pain in the arse so I’ve planned accordingly.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Can't imagine how you fight mid-late guests with unleveled floor. 4 max light and no Abnormality card. You can't even play 3 costs card more than twice.

At least Binah and Hokma doesn't cap emotion level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Ah right, now I remember why I took a break from Ruina - still can't get past Xiao and Price of Silence, with the latter even beating a team of Precepts and Hokma going Iori-Block and using the P key that the game never tells you about - just can't manage to burn down a specter in 1 turn 9 times out of 10.

Did at least get the achievement for Hokma's floor in an attempt, though.