Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And then Metroid Dread up and fixed everything by making it hella fun, encouraging a lot of exploration and giving Samus only two lines one which is spoken in birdese and the other is a guttural scream of unbridled rage which also syncs up with her suit being controlled by her emotions except that it becomes stronger the angrier she gets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I'm pretty sure the zero suit is from zero mission.

It is, I typed the wrong name. :shrug: I meant to be talking about zero mission there, Other M was not, despite my post, followed up by Other M.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

And then Metroid Dread up and fixed everything by making it hella fun, encouraging a lot of exploration and giving Samus only two lines one which is spoken in birdese and the other is a guttural scream of unbridled rage which also syncs up with her suit being controlled by her emotions except that it becomes stronger the angrier she gets

Was sorta hoping they dropped the bullshit controlled by emotions thing entirely tbh.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I decided to screw around in the Mafia Definitive Edition remake just to kill some time, I'm like two minutes in and I think I already can't stand the 1930s driving physics :/

I believe you can choose the game to be simlike or arcadey regarding the traffic rules. The only hard part driving is, of course, the racing mission.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

To be fair, he's not her sole creator like he likes to paint himself as in interviews. He's just kind of taken credit for a lot of work other people do since the more senior staffers have either quit or died. Multiple people are credited for her design and creation but Sakamoto was the one who would weirdly say things like "I'm the only one who knows where Samus' mole is" in interviews, when games had shown her in bikinis for years which just has some really bizarre implications.

I just got half of a good idea from that.

What if that was a figure of speech and Samus didn't fully trust the Galactic Federation and had an inside source feeding her information about what's going on? Like, a mole as in a spy and not a beauty mark?

Granted they'd have to make a new character that she interacts with supposedly on the regular for years at a time and that's a tall order since chronology in space settings isn't really their thing. Just look at Star Fox.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RareAcumen posted:

I just got half of a good idea from that.

What if that was a figure of speech and Samus didn't fully trust the Galactic Federation and had an inside source feeding her information about what's going on? Like, a mole as in a spy and not a beauty mark?

Granted they'd have to make a new character that she interacts with supposedly on the regular for years at a time and that's a tall order since chronology in space settings isn't really their thing. Just look at Star Fox.

They could also have just given her an inexplicable pet mole. Instead they put a mole on her face in Other M.

Also while I'm just complaining about samus poo poo, in metroid prime Retro used a very of-the-era style realistic human face for samus in the visor reflections and when she took her helmet off at the end of the game. Late in Echoes' development Nintendo told them they wanted to preserve brand and character design consistency and so Retro would have to make Samus look like she had in zero mission and such. Leading to a really uncanny looking 3D anime style samus in Echoes that looks like she walked out of ReBoot.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

HenryEx posted:

Tales from the Borderlands is like a double miracle in that it's separately counted both the best Tales from game, and the best Borderlands game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26y9H2ZLf0w

Someone found the way to make Borderlands fun to watch, and a Telltale game fun to play. Then after completing that magic, they apparently disappeared into a cloud of smoke.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Loader Bot is the best character ever. I bought him a tuxedo paint job and it made me happy.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Nuebot posted:

They could also have just given her an inexplicable pet mole. Instead they put a mole on her face in Other M.

Also while I'm just complaining about samus poo poo, in metroid prime Retro used a very of-the-era style realistic human face for samus in the visor reflections and when she took her helmet off at the end of the game. Late in Echoes' development Nintendo told them they wanted to preserve brand and character design consistency and so Retro would have to make Samus look like she had in zero mission and such. Leading to a really uncanny looking 3D anime style samus in Echoes that looks like she walked out of ReBoot.

I appreciate people wanting normal looking women but I'd take a non-lovely verson on zero suit samus over gamecube realism and possibly realism in general. Though there are some pretty awful interpretations of the zero suit samus design.

On topic: most of the smash brothers character renders look good, but the in-game versions sometimes look at bit off-brand (in a bad way)

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I bought RDR2 in the Steam sale because even though every other motherfucker has already played it I never actually had a PC powerful enough before, and maybe I'm just stupid but I had a hell of a time during the lasso tutorial because I'm using mouse and keyboard and when the mouse icon appeared to tell me to left- or right-click I couldn't tell which one was actually supposed to be highlighted. I think it was the darker one.

And again I'm sure these are criticisms that have already been made but a. why does every piddly little thing have its own dedicated keyboard key and b. why does it take longer to open a kitchen cupboard in the game than it does in real life

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I never bothered with opening drawers or boxes (unless I was doing a home robbery). If there is hair pomade or a box of biscuits sitting out, I'll grab them, but if they're in a cupboard I do not care.

Lassowise, I think you're supposed to hold down RMB until your crosshair is over your target, then click LMB to throw it. It doesn't make a lot of sense, I know.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I did figure it out in the end, I kinda wish I had done the hunting tutorial first because the bow has the same controls but I feel like they were more obvious somehow. Maybe only because I had already been loving around with the lasso.

I ended up having to repeat the lasso tutorial because I deliberately dropped the weenie guy in the campfire and he died lol

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It's quite the disappointment to open every drawer in a cabinet and find nothing to steal. It's not as bad in a video game, but still feels pretty bad.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Caufman posted:

It's quite the disappointment to open every drawer in a cabinet and find nothing to steal. It's not as bad in a video game, but still feels pretty bad.

This problem rears its ugly head once more:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
What could possibly be in the drawers or containers or whatever to justify opening them? It's not like it's Diablo where there is an infinitesimal chance of something awesome dropping, it is always going to be a few gold at most

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ZeusCannon posted:

Was sorta hoping they dropped the bullshit controlled by emotions thing entirely tbh.

It's a bit less nuanced than that. Basically during the ending she's dying then goes super saiyan angry and her metroid DNA kicks into overdrive and turns her suit into a metroid power armor that shoots hyper lasers and absorbs anything it touches

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

sephiRoth IRA posted:

What could possibly be in the drawers or containers or whatever to justify opening them? It's not like it's Diablo where there is an infinitesimal chance of something awesome dropping, it is always going to be a few gold at most

Look, if every container has a few gold coins and you open hundreds of them, thats a few hundred gold coins you make!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
RDR2 looks amazing and, on the surface, definitely something I'd want to play but this thread alone has put me off of it. Just reading the descriptions of how slow everything is and hampered by excessive animations would definitely frustrate and bore me. I don't care to see a slow cupboard door opening 1000 times, take a 12 step process to eat or make coffee or play a horse grooming mini game at all - no matter how much it adds to "immersion".

There's enough trivial, mundane, repetitive poo poo in everyday life slowing me down without adding it to my games.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
On a whim decided to get Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night because I wanted something relatively short to just tide me over a couple weeks until Elden Ring came out, and I played some of the Castlevania collection a little while ago so wanted something similar.

I must be mis-remembering when it was in development, because I thought it was closer to Symphony of the Night in both theme and graphics-style, i.e. only a LITTLE anime-esque and gorgeous 2D sprites...but it's VERY anime (Miriam's idle pose is literally a freakin' anime-waifu "oh, tee hee!" pose with her hand to her mouth and hip sticking out), and the graphics are that weird 3D sprites and backgrounds I've never cared for, like on some Mega-Man's/Mighty Number 9.

I can get past the theme, whatever, it's gonna have anime tropes, that's fine. But the graphics are annoying...not entirely the 3D's fault, but it feels way to "floaty" and not snappy like SotN/other Metroidvania's, and I do think the 3D part is partially part of that. Plus, maybe I'm starting to get "old man eyes" but it is so hard for me to discern what is background/foreground/interactable or not. I had a similar issue with Hollow Knight, though that was less the 3D-ness (since at least the sprites were flat) and mostly the "everything is the same shade of blue-grey."

I died to that first boss so many times because I could never tell when one of those tentacles was or wasn't going to come from the background to slap me.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

BiggerBoat posted:

RDR2 looks amazing and, on the surface, definitely something I'd want to play but this thread alone has put me off of it. Just reading the descriptions of how slow everything is and hampered by excessive animations would definitely frustrate and bore me. I don't care to see a slow cupboard door opening 1000 times, take a 12 step process to eat or make coffee or play a horse grooming mini game at all - no matter how much it adds to "immersion".

There's enough trivial, mundane, repetitive poo poo in everyday life slowing me down without adding it to my games.

This is related to the container thing. I just straight up stopped looting bodies in Skyrim because I'm old and time is fleeting. I'm already a God at level 5, I don't need to be looting that 1000th dragur or whatever. I did install a mod that makes dragons a loot pinata however.

In retrospect, a lot of games don't value my time. My buddy wanted to play dungeon defenders 2 and gently caress that. That game in no way values your time. Menus take forever. The mobs take their sweet time. Everything is slow and granular and I have a life to lead (wasted on other video games)!

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Leal posted:

Look, if every container has a few gold coins and you open hundreds of them, thats a few hundred gold coins you make!

I find it funny in games where the area you're in is some forgotten slum where everyone is dirt poor and you search a trash can and find money inside.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

BiggerBoat posted:

On one hand, it definitely is a slow game. I don't play many games and even I realised that. Your character is clunky and you kind of have to adjust for that, which isn't ideal.

On the other hand, most if not all of the tedious tasks people complain about are entirely optional, and you learn quickly not to bother opening cupboards and the like because the rewards are so minor. Things like grooming your horse and making coffee can help with certain things but in general the game is easy enough to that it's not relevant if you don't want it to be.

I say try it out and if you still hate it you can blame me idk.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RareAcumen posted:

Guacamelee 2 for having one dimension that throws like 8 memes at you

People had already thrown a fit because the town in the first game had meme posters all over the place.

Cleretic posted:

I remember that when I first told my dad about Duke Nukem Forever finally being released (he really liked the original Duke Nukems), he thought what they should've done was put it together in the order levels were actually finished. So you start in the 'direct DN3D sequel' territory, then move on to when it was on id Tech, then early Unreal, all the way through to eventually playing a modern FPS.

To this day I'm still disappointed that's not what we got. And still haven't, which is actually kinda weird; FPSes have had some very tangible eras of history comparable to platformers and RPGs, but you've seen those genres deliberately do sort of 'tour through the ages' games, you haven't seen it from FPSes.

It's a fun idea but it also sounds like a giant pain in the rear end. So much of the feel of classic FPSes comes from engine quirks and trying to replicate them all and also provide good (or at least passable) gameplay and map design for each on top of that sounds like a grueling task.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I feel like there's a tendency out there to play Bethesda games by roleplaying a vacuum cleaner

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The mole thing for samus has gotten game-of-telephoned a bit. The original context was some magazine interview asking each dev off the cuff 'hey is there some secret about samus that only you know' and his response was 'where her beauty mark is'.

So it's a wacky improv answer to a wacky question, not some kind of weird unsolicited comment.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

I must be mis-remembering when it was in development, because I thought it was closer to Symphony of the Night in both theme and graphics-style, i.e. only a LITTLE anime-esque and gorgeous 2D sprites...but it's VERY anime (Miriam's idle pose is literally a freakin' anime-waifu "oh, tee hee!" pose with her hand to her mouth and hip sticking out), and the graphics are that weird 3D sprites and backgrounds I've never cared for, like on some Mega-Man's/Mighty Number 9.

Not that i disagree with critique on the general lack of strong, cohesive style or the animation/floatiness issues or the fore-/background distinction, but you might want to get a prescription for glasses, if this looks like a tee-hee-waifu pose to you

Cuz that's basically the swords-and-sorcery equivalent of an MMA powerstance with some gratuitous memey Jojo posing thrown in. You know, these kinds of poses:

If you hold Up in idle for a few seconds, she'll straight up bust out a Jojo pose so the inspiration is not exactly subtle.

I mean, if Jojos are your idea of waifus, i'm not judging, go for it, but it's not what most people's minds would immediately jump to

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

HenryEx posted:

Not that i disagree with critique on the general lack of strong, cohesive style or the animation/floatiness issues or the fore-/background distinction, but you might want to get a prescription for glasses, if this looks like a tee-hee-waifu pose to you

Cuz that's basically the swords-and-sorcery equivalent of an MMA powerstance with some gratuitous memey Jojo posing thrown in. You know, these kinds of poses:

If you hold Up in idle for a few seconds, she'll straight up bust out a Jojo pose so the inspiration is not exactly subtle.

I mean, if Jojos are your idea of waifus, i'm not judging, go for it, but it's not what most people's minds would immediately jump to

Dang, based on his description I thought it would be some kind of stupid looking anime pose so I'm glad you set us straight.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

All poses are anime poses when you are kawaii enough

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

Dang, based on his description I thought it would be some kind of stupid looking anime pose so I'm glad you set us straight.

lol

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

P sure these poses are the opposite of straight actually

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Taiko no Tatsujin is fun but it has a money problem

You get coins by playing songs well. Playing a song perfectly on expert difficulty gives you 130 coins. To buy everything in the store (new songs, etc) you need 287,000 coins.

That's a lot of dondering

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Not a little thing but I hate how God of War 4 blossoms into an open world. I’d have been happier if it was linear.

Also, as echoed previously, the gear system blows.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Manager Hoyden posted:

Taiko no Tatsujin is fun but it has a money problem

You get coins by playing songs well. Playing a song perfectly on expert difficulty gives you 130 coins. To buy everything in the store (new songs, etc) you need 287,000 coins.

That's a lot of dondering

I know nothing about the game or the store. But I would hazard a guess that a real money option is available?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I know nothing about the game or the store. But I would hazard a guess that a real money option is available?

It is not, as far as I know

It's an old rhythm game series and the latest one just showed up on game pass

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Oh then I have no idea. Sadist devs, maybe?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair:
Golden checkmates. The game has some pretty tricky jumps and collectables that you get ONE SHOT (per life) to get, and if you respawn at a checkpoint five times, it gives you the opportunity to skip to the next checkpoint. And the living checkpoint reminds you of this in a patronizing way every single time. The way they presented the mechanic turned an anti-frustration feature into a frustration feature. Please shut up, I can't skip forward, I need that completely useless coin for my collection. Also, the enemy I need to jump off doesn't respawn unless I die, so suicide by sawblade it is.
Also, well, Laylee herself. The fact that taking a hit sends her flying off on her own means that you lose out on the hover mechanic and the buddy stomp move, which are imprinted in your muscle memory by this point. So you keep running and expect to be able to hover, but you can't. It's an interesting idea, but platformers like this rely heavily on maintaining a rhythm and it's really tricky when you can lose half your arsenal in an instant.

Suleman has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Feb 17, 2022

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Conan Exiles not having a compass on the UI is driving me crazy. I like that it doesn't have a minimap because I spend more time actually looking at the game world that way. But without the compass I can't quickly double-check my heading so I have to open the large map. And with the terrain the way it is you're often having to bypass mountains and whatnot that make it hard to tell where you're headed if you don't have the map memorized.

I'd also like Bethesda-style point of interest icons on my compass when I get close, though with the range being much shorter than in those games. Some places are so easy to miss if you don't have a filled out map open on another screen.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I am quite enjoying Nier Automata but was it absolutely necessary for every character to have the most irritating anime-rear end poo poo voice acting?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's a shame they couldn't get Stallone for the English VA like they initially planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Phigs posted:

Conan Exiles not having a compass on the UI is driving me crazy. I like that it doesn't have a minimap because I spend more time actually looking at the game world that way. But without the compass I can't quickly double-check my heading so I have to open the large map. And with the terrain the way it is you're often having to bypass mountains and whatnot that make it hard to tell where you're headed if you don't have the map memorized.

I'd also like Bethesda-style point of interest icons on my compass when I get close, though with the range being much shorter than in those games. Some places are so easy to miss if you don't have a filled out map open on another screen.

This is how I feel with Pokemon Legends Arceus. I'm okay with it not having a minimap but at least give me a compass.