Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Are you trying to reference Crimea, Chechnya, or Georgia? I mean I think I made it pretty obvious that I was referencing Afghanistan in the 80's but I didn't think I needed to spell the joke out that much.

You were comparing a minor militant group that has zero political power in its country (Azov), to a series of major militants who fully represented the resistance to a government that they eventually took out (Mujahideen).
This was a poor nonsense comparison, and works much better if compared to the Russian client pseudo-states where organized crime types and militant groups ARE the local forces of power (the two Donbas states, which is the "war in the east").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Are you trying to reference Crimea, Chechnya, or Georgia? I mean I think I made it pretty obvious that I was referencing Afghanistan in the 80's but I didn't think I needed to spell the joke out that much.

I'm talking about the conflict in the Donbas started by Russia that, once reached a stalemate, had an unfortunate effect on weapons and munitions making their way back to Central and Western Ukraine.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yes yes, you've nailed it on the head. There's a secret media cabal spreading lies at the behest of the Russians, and they can be spotted by their use of the word "the".
Are you disputing that a person's media consumption on a subject has an influence on the way they articulate about it themselves?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Oh dang, well I guess then there can be no negative outcomes from supporting the most insane bloodthirsty reactionary faction in an unstable country to own the Russians because the analogy isn't perfectly exact.
It's been discussed upthread that there've been measures in place to restrict Azov's access to arms. If you've reason to believe that's not working, the thread and the world would be interested to know more! Folks here and in the US DoS clearly agree with you that this tiny band of extremists are bad dudes, but your casting them as representative of Ukraine and insinuating that Ukraine is a failed state is not grounded in reality.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Also I wonder what the US alt-righters think about Azov battalion because Russia's reactionary anti gay stuff, footsie with white nationalism and Wagner Group used to get them all hot and bothered and now they're the jewish controlled opposition or something against the brave Azov volunteers that are willing to be even more on the nose than ever like the Wagner Group dude or whatever.

I can see them going both ways depending on their preferred media, or their individual backgrounds. Some right wing sites are still anti-Russia and treat Ukrainian independence as a nationalist issue (and a chance to play soldier). Others see Putin as a champion against American Homo-Globalist Communism.

Apparently Canada has a large, and very right-wing, Ukrainian expat community as a holdover from the Cold War, but I'm not familiar with how their politics have evolved on this issue post-Maidan. It's hard enough keeping up with insane Right Wing Americans.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Could someone please point me to where you think I said they're representative of Ukraine.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

CommieGIR posted:

Also love that you are linking us to a Russian Government Investigation Department.
Isn't this just called "linking to a primary source" seeing as these are the people doing the investigating?

I mean I link to statements by people and organisations I disagree with all the time, especially when I've done a bit of digging after reading a news article summarising something.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I'm talking about the conflict in the Donbas started by Russia that, once reached a stalemate, had an unfortunate effect on weapons and munitions making their way back to Central and Western Ukraine.

I'm not sure how you're going to get historical precedents from an ongoing war.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

XMNN posted:

Isn't this just called "linking to a primary source" seeing as these are the people doing the investigating?

I mean I link to statements by people and organisations I disagree with all the time, especially when I've done a bit of digging after reading a news article summarising something.

Its an Internal Investigative Service that is employed actively by a country who is looking for excuse to invade another country they don't like.

This is like trusting the excuses for the Iraq War. Do we really trust Russia to be honest about what they've found given the current position they are in any more than we shouldn't have trusted all the people banging war drums about Iraq? Do you trust the CIA's justifications for the Iraq War? If Russia believes they've found war crimes, they'll hopefully invite third parties to help investigate....except I suspect they won't.

And again: Russia has been in Donbass for 8 years. There's been basically an active civil war in Donbass for as long that Russia has supplied weapons and units for. Forgive me if I'm going to distrust a primary source from a country actively trying to justify their military actions that they have been threatening for the past few months.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 17, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The way tankies are spewing, you might even think the current government is the same one as immediately post-Maidan. And not the 4th one after, with multiple intervening elections and a change in controlling parties.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Could someone please point me to where you think I said they're representative of Ukraine.

Comparing them to an entire major side of a conflict by comparing them to the Mujahideen.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Could we all please dial down the sarcasm a notch?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I could make fun of some journalists instead?

https://twitter.com/katiedavies91/status/1494051108771274752

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Why should we care about Putin or Russia if the US has no legitimate role or interest in the region other than Ukraine being a lucrative market for arms sales and international development loans? Do you think US involvement is keeping Russia out? If so, how?
The "What's the US interest in this conflict, anyways??!" take is especially silly as, aside from Russia instigating this crisis with a goal of seating Putin across from Western heads of state to bolster his image, the US and all of us have a huge incentive to prevent wars of violent conquest wherever they might occur. I like to fall back on a reductive village analogy: if someone on the other side of town beats the gently caress out of his neighbor, seizing his home or enslaving him outright, it sets one hell of a bad precedent! If the village fails to hold the belligerent at least somewhat accountable for their crimes and set the situation right, there's unfortunately others who might follow their example and themselves seek to take what they want by force. That's not a village I think any of us want to live in.

Is there a mountain of hypocrisy for Western leaders to be holding others to that standard? Sure! I'm pretty sure most people in this thread aren't huge fans of much of Western foreign policy. But there's no logic to decrying America's imperialist misdeeds while at the same time giving Russia's a pass, unless your opposition isn't actually concerned with the misdeeds so much as it is unduly focused on any individual perpetrator.

In this case, Ukraine's request for Western assistance goes toward making them too spiky for Putin to attempt to take a bite out of. Adding to Ukraine's capacity to defend itself enough to make Putin think twice about following through with his threats is pretty cheap, all things considered. Certainly cheaper than the fallout of a Russian invasion.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Grape posted:

Comparing them to an entire major side of a conflict by comparing them to the Mujahideen.

Okay, if you want to claim you over analyzed my analogy to put whatever words you want in my mouth- do you think Whabbism was broadly representative of the entire Mujahideen during the conflict? Or maybe things outside actors did may have influenced that?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Did... did they think the 3M population capital of a European country would consist of a dirt road and a few confused-looking farmers?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Okay, if you want to claim you over analyzed my analogy to put whatever words you want in my mouth- do you think Whabbism was broadly representative of the entire Mujahideen during the conflict? Or maybe things outside actors did may have influenced that?

Your analogy really depended on the scale of the extremists receiving support, because it was weighting everything on "Well if we give the crazy reactionaries weapons, down the line we will hatch a whole country run by such people". Which really falls apart unless one assumes Azov is as the Mujahideen were, basically the entire side of a war.

So yes, you were definitely claiming Azov broadly represents the Ukrainian side of the conflict. Otherwise there was no point to your whole analogy at all.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

CommieGIR posted:

Its an Internal Investigative Service that is employed actively by a country who is looking for excuse to invade another country they don't like.

This is like trusting the excuses for the Iraq War. Do we really trust Russia to be honest about what they've found given the current position they are in any more than we shouldn't have trusted all the people banging war drums about Iraq? Do you trust the CIA's justifications for the Iraq War? If Russia believes they've found war crimes, they'll hopefully invite third parties to help investigate....except I suspect they won't.

And again: Russia has been in Donbass for 8 years. There's been basically an active civil war in Donbass for as long that Russia has supplied weapons and units for. Forgive me if I'm going to distrust a primary source from a country actively trying to justify their military actions that they have been threatening for the past few months.

The only assertion that Conspiratiorist seemed to be making in that post was that an investigation was being opened, I didn't read it as endorsing the validity of that investigation one way or the other particularly but perhaps there's some context I missed.

Conspiratiorist posted:

https://sledcom.ru/news/item/1656580?fbclid=IwAR1iWVW40g9V6z_ynIWRGjhYffpeWRcHYVy0ZwLBOLdVEmmnVfIwE47wWZc

Russian Investigative Committee opening an investigation into the mass graves in Donbas.

The link is to a statement from the department doing the investigation, saying they're doing an investigation, which supports the assertion made.

To return to the Iraq analogy, it would be the same as linking to, say, a CIA statement saying they believed there to be WMDs in Iraq and saying "the CIA believes there are WMDs in Iraq". If the problem is not adding the context that the CIA are obviously inherently untrustworthy, that's fair enough, but I don't think linking to their own words should be a problem in and of itself.

Generally, I'd say that if someone says they're doing something, it's ok to use those words as evidence that at the very least they claim they're doing that thing.

If you'd prefer a different source for the claim that the Russians are investigating alleged mass graves in the Donbas, you can find some secondary sources, but the ones I could find with a quick Google all seem to be quoting the same statement, or are framed in a "State Department warns about Russian disinformation" sort of way and don't include much about the actual investigation beyond a reference.

https://www.jpost.com/international/article-696703

quote:

The committee claimed that the civilians found in the area controlled by Russian-backed separatists were killed by Ukrainian shelling. "The Investigative Committee continues to take all possible measures to uphold the principle of the inevitability of punishment for those responsible for committing crimes in Donetsk and Luhansk areas," said the committee.

https://inews.co.uk/news/russia-investigation-mass-graves-ukraine-experts-propaganda-justify-aggression-1465639

quote:

The Russian Investigative Committee — the country’s main federal investigation authority — claimed in a statement on its website earlier today that it had seen evidence that “thousands of Russian-speaking civilians” have been killed by Ukrainian forces in the Donbas region of eastern Ukraine.

“Investigators obtained information about spontaneous unmarked mass graves,” the statement added. “The intent to eliminate Donbas residents is obvious… Ukrainian military forces have been constantly shelling settlements in Donbas, using lethal weapons of indiscriminate action designed to eliminate people and infrastructure as effectively as possible.”

https://tass.com/world/1404739

quote:

WASHINGTON, February 16. /TASS/. Russia’s statements about the mass graves of civilians in Donbass may be disinformation, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki told reporters on Wednesday.

Earlier, Russia’s Investigative Committee announced the initiation of a criminal probe into the discovery of the mass graves of those killed during operations by Ukraine’s armed forces in the Donetsk People's Republic (DPR). One of the journalists asked Psaki to comment on this information.

"We’re in the window where we believe an attack could begin at any time and that would be preceded by a fabricated pretext that the Russians use as an excuse to launch an invasion. <...> Those could include but not be limited to claims of provocation in Donbass, false state media reports, everybody should keep their eyes open and aware, faked videos, false allegations about chemical weapons," Psaki stressed.

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1494003189905043458?t=SmWO0mlBb9Owpcbg2rN91w&s=19

You can quote something someone says without either liking them or believing it. It's obviously good to dig into the motivations and facts behind the things people say, which is why it's often useful to find the actual statement or paper or other news article that the article you're reading is citing from.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

XMNN posted:

You can quote something someone says without either liking them or believing it. It's obviously good to dig into the motivations and facts behind the things people say, which is why it's often useful to find the actual statement or paper or other news article that the article you're reading is citing from.

You can also do a background of the poster posting this claim and quickly discover that maybe they are sharing this link because they have specific feelings about the events in Ukraine and possible US motives.

Strongly suggest you do that.

Regardless: Russia claims war crimes. Russia that also shot down an airliner and simply shrugged. I'll believe Russia has found war crimes when they invite third party verification. Right now, it just reads as an attempt to justify further Russian military action and nothing more.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 17, 2022

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

This is off topic, and I'd be glad to take it to another thread if you want, but none of the mujahedeen were Wahabi, and neither was the Taliban, which overthrew the mujahedeen . The only Wahabis in Afghanistan were Saudi volunteers.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ah journalists, apparently doing less research then the average backpacker about places they're informing others about.

Like obviously a Journalist can't know everything about everything, but if you're reporting about eastern European politics than I feel like it shouldn't be to much to ask to know, that yeah Eastern European cities often have "hipster bars" and "modern restaurants".

Feels like getting tech support from someone who doesn't know that computers need electricity to work. It's possible they've got a good script in front of them and they may help, but they probably have little idea of what's actually going on.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

The "What's the US interest in this conflict, anyways??!" take is especially silly as, aside from Russia instigating this crisis with a goal of seating Putin across from Western heads of state to bolster his image, the US and all of us have a huge incentive to prevent wars of violent conquest wherever they might occur. I like to fall back on a reductive village analogy: if someone on the other side of town beats the gently caress out of his neighbor, seizing his home or enslaving him outright, it sets one hell of a bad precedent! If the village fails to hold the belligerent at least somewhat accountable for their crimes and set the situation right, there's unfortunately others who might follow their example and themselves seek to take what they want by force. That's not a village I think any of us want to live in.

Is there a mountain of hypocrisy for Western leaders to be holding others to that standard? Sure! I'm pretty sure most people in this thread aren't huge fans of much of Western foreign policy. But there's no logic to decrying America's imperialist misdeeds while at the same time giving Russia's a pass, unless your opposition isn't actually concerned with the misdeeds so much as it is unduly focused on any individual perpetrator.

In this case, Ukraine's request for Western assistance goes toward making them too spiky for Putin to attempt to take a bite out of. Adding to Ukraine's capacity to defend itself enough to make Putin think twice about following through with his threats is pretty cheap, all things considered. Certainly cheaper than the fallout of a Russian invasion.

Yeah, it's like Imperial Japan falling back on the "Wow, hypocrites much?" argument when called out on their colonial campaigns in Asia. Sure, they were exactly right that the US and Britain were hypocrites, but that wasn't going to make them look any better or turn the oil back on.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Grape posted:

You were comparing a minor militant group that has zero political power in its country (Azov), to a series of major militants who fully represented the resistance to a government that they eventually took out (Mujahideen).
This was a poor nonsense comparison, and works much better if compared to the Russian client pseudo-states where organized crime types and militant groups ARE the local forces of power (the two Donbas states, which is the "war in the east").

It bears repeating, but they do have political power. Their political wing is called National Corps. They are not represented in Rada, thankfully, but do have some representation in local governments. More importantly, though, they are very active in staging street protests and pushing the government towards the military solution of the conflict. It is also an open secret that they are used by an ever changing cavalcade of oligarchs and politicians (both nominally pro-Russian and nationalist) to steer all sorts of poo poo to score political points for them, and they often suspiciously avoid any consequences for things like assaulting journalists they deem pro-Russian, or harassing Russian-speaking foreigners in the streets, or disrupting Victory Day marches, or just publicly advocating for re-education camps for people who lived on occupied territories. This very real issue is blown out of proportion by Russian propaganda, but it shouldn't be ignored or dismissed out of hand. If you can acknowledge that when a bunch of totally not-nazis march with torches in American towns under the guise of protecting historical heritage of South's Civil War heroes, and a major political party tacitly approves of their actions, there is a systemic issue, even if the government officially condemns the radical right, you should be able to acknowledge the same happening in Ukraine.

The same goes for Ukrainisation. It's not a genocide Putin claims it to be, far from it. The Russian language is not banned from schools or from media, but there are laws in place that limit its usage. The laws also limit the usage of other languages in a similar way, but EU languages, like Hungarian, are treated differently and enjoy some exceptions that Russian (and other minority non-EU languages) don't enjoy. It's a real systemic issue that is acknowledged by CoE's Venice Commission. On the plus side, at least from what I hear from Russian and Ukrainian-speaking Ukrainians alike, to the chagrin of far right nationalists, Ukrainisation laws are not properly enforced, especially in Russian-speaking regions. This, however, means, that small businesses or individuals do get from time to time targeted by said nationalists for real and perceived failures to adhere to Ukrainisation laws.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 17, 2022

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Grape posted:

Your analogy really depended on the scale of the extremists receiving support, because it was weighting everything on "Well if we give the crazy reactionaries weapons, down the line we will hatch a whole country run by such people". Which really falls apart unless one assumes Azov is as the Mujahideen were, basically the entire side of a war.

So yes, you were definitely claiming Azov broadly represents the Ukrainian side of the conflict. Otherwise there was no point to your whole analogy at all.

Okay so can I take this to mean that you claiming I said "Azov is representative of the entire Ukrainian side" was entirely based upon your own mistken interpretation of my analogy and nothing I actually said?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Epicurius posted:

This is off topic, and I'd be glad to take it to another thread if you want, but none of the mujahedeen were Wahabi, and neither was the Taliban, which overthrew the mujahedeen . The only Wahabis in Afghanistan were Saudi volunteers.

That was kinda my point, but I guess nothing is going to stop the power of them insisting I believe something that I explicit said I didn't.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

That was kinda my point, but I guess nothing is going to stop the power of them insisting I believe something that I explicit said I didn't.

I guess I'm just kind of confused at why you brought up Wahabism at all, or the Mujhadeen? Sorry. I probably just wasn't clever enough to get the analogy.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
And I guess, because there are probably people in this thread who think brave separatists fight for equality and socialism for all, I should also mention that Ukrainians and other minorities are not treated particularly well in Crimea and in LDNR. If anything, their language and cultural rights are less protected than those of Russians and Russian-speaking Ukrainians in unoccupied Ukrainian regions.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

KillHour posted:

Did... did they think the 3M population capital of a European country would consist of a dirt road and a few confused-looking farmers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mYqY5YELd0&t=13s

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:siren: There's the feint I was anticipating! Russia you can't fool meeeeeee! :siren:

US official: Russia adds 7K more troops near Ukraine border posted:

Ukrainians defied pressure from Moscow with a national show of flag-waving unity Wednesday, while the U.S. warned that Russia had added as many as 7,000 troops near Ukraine’s borders despite Kremlin declarations that forces were being pulled back from the region. While a Russian invasion of Ukraine did not materialize as feared, the United States and its allies maintained that the threat is still strong, with Europe’s security and economic stability in the balance.

Russia has massed more than 150,000 troops east, north and south of Ukraine, according to Western estimates. Russian President Vladimir Putin has signaled that he wants a peaceful path out of the crisis, and U.S. President Joe Biden promised that the U.S. would continue to give diplomacy “every chance,” but he struck a skeptical tone about Moscow’s intentions. Biden also insisted that Washington and its allies would not “sacrifice basic principles” respecting Ukraine sovereignty.

A senior U.S. administration official said the West detected that Russia had increased its force near Ukraine by 7,000 troops, with some arriving as recently as Wednesday, and that there had been a marked increase in false claims by Russians that the Kremlin might use as pretext for an invasion.

The official said those claims included reports of unmarked graves of civilians allegedly killed by Ukrainian forces, statements that the U.S. and Ukraine are developing biological or chemical weapons, and claims that the West is funneling in guerrillas to kill Ukrainians. The official was not authorized to speak publicly about sensitive operations and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. The official did not provide underlying evidence for the assertions.

The U.S. and Europe are maintaining threats of harsh sanctions. Trust between East and West remains elusive. “We haven’t seen a pullback,” U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken told ABC News. “He (Putin) can pull the trigger. He can pull it today. He can pull it tomorrow. He can pull it next week. The forces are there if he wants to renew aggression against Ukraine.”

State Department spokesman Ned Price said the U.S. had seen “more Russian forces, not fewer.” Asked why Russians would claim to be withdrawing when government intelligence, commercial satellite photos and social media videos showed no evidence of that, Price said: “This is the Russian playbook, to paint a picture publicly … while they do the opposite.”

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

dr_rat posted:

Like obviously a Journalist can't know everything about everything, but if you're reporting about eastern European politics than I feel like it shouldn't be to much to ask to know, that yeah Eastern European cities often have "hipster bars" and "modern restaurants".

it depends, yknow? i didn't find many hipster bars in vladikavkaz. may have been other reasons for that though.

Paladinus posted:

It bears repeating, but they do have political power. Their political wing is called National Corps. They are not represented in Rada, thankfully, but do have some representation in local governments. More importantly, though, they are very active in staging street protests and pushing the government towards the military solution of the conflict. It is also an open secret that they are used by an ever changing cavalcade of oligarchs and politicians (both nominally pro-Russian and nationalist) to steer all sorts of poo poo to score political points for them, and they often suspiciously avoid any consequences for things like assaulting journalists they deem pro-Russian, or harassing Russian-speaking foreigners in the streets, or disrupting Victory Day marches, or just publicly advocating for re-education camps for people who lived on occupied territories. This very real issue is blown out of proportion by Russian propaganda, but it shouldn't be ignored or dismissed out of hand. If you can acknowledge that when a bunch of totally not-nazis march with torches in American towns under the guise of protecting historical heritage of South's Civil War heroes, and a major political party tacitly approves of their actions, there is a systemic issue, even if the government officially condemns the radical right, you should be able to acknowledge the same happening in Ukraine.

it's true, but most of the time they're brought up it's not in the context of a nuanced or well-informed discussion of ukrainian domestic politics and society. SMEGMA_MAIL's "WE ARE ARMING THE HOMONAZI FORCES AND BY DOING SO INVITE THE NEXT TALIBAN REGIME" alarmist hot takes that essentially parrot Russian talking points are by far the majority. these add nothing substantive to anyone's understanding of the situation, they just assist Russia's (admittedly successful) campaign to influence the narrative about a region most people in the US and western Europe have limited familiarity with.

far-right movements, and their influence in society, aren't particularly unusual, as anyone who was alive in the US for the past few years should be well aware. this isn't a /good/ thing, but it does not somehow make Ukraine particularly unique.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Epicurius posted:

I guess I'm just kind of confused at why you brought up Wahabism at all, or the Mujhadeen? Sorry. I probably just wasn't clever enough to get the analogy.

No, you probably know more about the details than me. It's more that the CIA sent resources to the ISI sent the lions share of the resources to the most hardliners (ie, Hekyatmar) that later became key Jihadist leaders or directly supported global terrorism, and encouraged the gulf states to export their own stuff . The USA has been sending aid to Ukraine who also fell into the same trap where they've chosen to accept and enable the most vile factions because they can provide fanatical fighters. These kind of reactionary movements are cancerous particuarly in times when these type of fighters are useful, and while it's thankfully not that popular in Ukraine yet, it's growing and growing and it''s going to be a problem in Europe for decades.

It's insane to me that western media is playing into the exact same narrative. Look at this:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-60374655

BBC covering an Azov publicity event. I actually discovered this on my own, and noticed the patches. There's no way someone who works at the BBC didn't notice that either, and they still chose to parrot them.

The fact that the NATO hasn't demanded that Ukraine not allow a state sanctioned SS division to be part of their armed forces is not going to end well.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

SMEGMA_MAIL's "WE ARE ARMING THE HOMONAZI FORCES AND BY DOING SO INVITE THE NEXT TALIBAN REGIME"

JFC I give up never post in D&D

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Here we go...?

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1494158870755049474

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

far-right movements, and their influence in society, aren't particularly unusual, as anyone who was alive in the US for the past few years should be well aware. this isn't a /good/ thing, but it does not somehow make Ukraine particularly unique.

Well, using veterancy(?)[1] as political cover for being hired thugs for competing oligarchic interests is pretty specific to Ukraine's current circumstances. Of course those groups won't have existed without the war, and it's the war that makes it harder to get rid of them (and unsurprisingly the worst one is the one that survived... perhaps because people who were really just interested in protecting their country were happy to get a spot in the National Guard). Of course was would really empower them is the West going full Munich. Personally, I hope someone checks their finances thoroughly. Won't be surprised a few thinly disguised transfers from Moscow (not because there aren't Ukrainians with view this bad, but because this is who they are ultimately helping).

[1] I think a bunch of groups tried it in 2014 w/o doing any actual fighting. I think some form of Azov was in at least one actual battle --- where they stupidly overextended and had to get their asses bailed out by Ukrainian Marines over some village in a.. highly strategically dubious location.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

This is the rarest of times where the Twitter responses are mature and rational.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
They seem to be basing this entirely on retweeting Sputnik, so I wouldn't read anything into this until it's being reported more widely.

tweet link

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 17, 2022

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

THE FEINT IS HERE THE FEINT IS HERE

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
no one is falling for NATO's dumb false flag

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
#нюдсочетверг is still the hottest trend on russian twitter, same as every thursday, so i can confidently say the invasion has not started

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Could you clarify what you mean here? How is NATO staging a false flag in relation to the tweets above?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

NATO's false flag is to get Russian state media to declare Ukraine has attacked??