Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
People who know absolutely nothing about pets but are quick to claim abuse are the goddamn worst.

These are the same idiots who see a youtube video of someone pushing their dog into a pile of snow and leave comments screaming all caps nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Call CPS on her for ordering that her children trespass and interact with strange animals.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

AITA for holding on to the past?

quote:

I used to date a girl that we’ll call Riley for the sake of this story. Me and Riley dated twice in the span of a year. The first time we broke up, it was a mutual decision and we made up just fine, this second time was different and a lot more complicated, and I’m not sure if I should give her another chance.

Riley posts on twitter pretty much all day every day, it’s all she ever does. You can find pretty much anything on her page, and I honestly never minded it. One day I woke up to see a tweet from her which said “I love having a manipulative girlfriend” and my heart dropped. I didn’t know what I had done and wanted to make it right, so I texted her. I asked her what I did wrong and how I could make it right. She left me on delivered for 2 days before finally answering back, and that’s when I broke up with her. I didn’t even break up with her over the tweet, I broke up with her because of my mental health.

This made Riley absolutely pissed. She went to all of my friends and spread straight up bullshit about me, and they all took her side immediately. This is when her twitter page comes into the story. Riley and all of her little minions tweeted about me every. single. day. These tweets ranged from basic hate to literally doxxing me. I really can’t put into words how much they poo poo talked me. I was miserable. When I finally decided to stand up for myself, they told me I was a horrible person for being so rude to Riley. Riley got mad when I got anyone else involved, but every day it seemed like she had a new person defending her. She got mad when I responded, she got mad when I stay silent, she got mad at me for everything I did.

These hateful messages lasted about 4 months before they died down a bit, and Riley asked if we could be friends again. I decided to give her another chance, and I apologized to her for overreacting. She never apologized to me.

It’s been a month since then, and me and Riley got into another minor argument. It wasn’t a big deal to begin with, but it was escalating very quickly. I’m the heat of the moment, this is when I finally told her that I was still upset about the past, and how she treated me. She started getting mad at me, saying that I already forgave her and I’m just bringing it up for more attention. She said that it wasn’t a big deal anymore, and I needed to stop whining about it. A few hours later, she asked me to basically “forgive and forget” which wasn’t gonna happen. When I said I didn’t want to talk to her anymore, she sent all of her friends to attack me, and I ended up having to block about 10 people.

I want to be sure that I’m making the right choices here. I’m starting to doubt myself and feel guilty. So, you tell me, AITA for holding on to the past?

Update : It’s been about a week and she’s still posting about me, even after I’ve deleted all my accounts. She called me a hypocrite, and told all her followers that I made her cry herself to sleep. I’m not sure if that parts true, but I do know that she’s now lying about her moms death and her dad abandoning her. She’s claiming they both passed when she was young, but I met both of them in person. When confronted, she claims she wasn’t in the right state of mind. Do what you will with this information, but thank you for the support on this post. It’s helped me get through this so much and I genuinely appreciate it.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I can't get over the fact that apparently most houses don't have fences in the USA. How do you have any privacy in your back/front yards?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

A funnier one.

AITA for holding my SO socks hostage?

quote:

My boyfriend (24M) loves to go hiking & so do I (25F) so sometimes he lets me borrow his gear. He has 3 pairs of darn tough socks. The first pair he bought, the second I bought as a gift, the third pair he also bought. He let me borrow 2 pairs for our last hike. 1 pair I kept clean in my bag & never used. The second pair I wore the entire trip & since I’ve borrowed them so much I noticed there was a hole in one of the heels. Our hike was ruined by us accidentally having to walk through a swamp & the socks were covered in layers of mud and swamp poo poo so I figured I would put them in a plastic baggy once we got home and later soak them in dr. Bronners soap to see if the socks could be saved.

I forgot about the socks all together once home on accident. Later we left our home state to go travel and I left my backpack home since I have 2 backpacks and we were trying to save space since we had to share the car for all of our belongings (we live in air bnbs and travel) well he asked me today for his socks and I was like they’re ruined I’m sorry I don’t have them to give back (I was thinking of the first pair & forgot I even had the other clean one in my pack that was unused) and he was like ok but where’s the other pair and I was like I don’t have them I must have left them home &

then later he said how could they be ruined & just wanted them back so he could fix them and I was like there’s a hole in one & he didn’t believe me there was a hole he thought I was making it up & then got frustrated I offered to buy the socks and he said no don’t buy them. He thinks I’m gas lighting him and he’s right I actually used the socks to wipe my rear end while on the trail since I ran out of toilet paper. Am I the (rear end)hole?

TLDR; I used my boyfriends hiking socks as toilet paper

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

bell jar posted:

I can't get over the fact that apparently most houses don't have fences in the USA.

News to me

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

value-brand cereal posted:

AITA for holding on to the past?

You are being abused, please get the gently caress out and never talk to Riley again

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

bell jar posted:

I can't get over the fact that apparently most houses don't have fences in the USA. How do you have any privacy in your back/front yards?

Want to point to anywhere that says this?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

Where are you getting the impression that this is true.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for refusing to abide by my girlfriends overly strict house rules?

quote:

I (M28) live with my girlfriend (F24)

Before living together, I lived alone and so I became adjusted to living on my own terms, it’s been tough to adjust to having someone else to mind regarding manners and house rules, but it’s impossible to adjust when my girlfriends rules are this intense.

I get no shoes in the apartment rule, but my girlfriend says no feet on the couch pillows, no sitting on the couch after the gym before having a shower, no leaving dishes in the sink, no leaving any food wrappers out, and the most annoying, no drinking straight from the carton. I get that the carton thing is rude in someone else’s house but I live here, and I don’t get the rule considering my girlfriend and I make out so what does it matter?

I get that no food wrappers out can attract bugs but I’ll throw them away within a day or so, why does it need to constantly look perfect when we hardly even have guests over and this is my one place in this world to just relax?

We share rent, this is my home too, so I told her I’m not going to follow all these rules because I feel a prisoner in my own apartment. AITA??

reddit mod posted:

Be Civil. Just gonna nip this one in the bud and remind everyone to fight the impulse to call OP a man child, man baby, etc.
Please review our FAQ if you're unsure what that means.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Evil Willow posted:

The Reddit mods are ALWAYS the rear end in a top hat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Evil Willow posted:

quote:

I’ll throw them away within a day or so

Narrator posted:

ONE

WEEK

LATER

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Thats bait.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

All the fences in my neighborhood are the perfect height to keep out everyone but a mildly athletic highschool-age teenager, which incidentally turns out to be the demographic most likely to hop fences and wander through yards

Don't live adjacent to a highschool if you can avoid it, it's a whole thing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

All the fences in my neighborhood are the perfect height to keep out everyone but a mildly athletic highschool-age teenager, which incidentally turns out to be the demographic most likely to hop fences and wander through yards

Don't live adjacent to a highschool if you can avoid it, it's a whole thing

This is why my backyard has a group of perpetually loving old people in it. The gerontorgy they call it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

bell jar posted:

It depends on the neighborhood. No one on my parents side of the street has fences, everyone on the other side of the street does (because it abuts a public park and highway) but it's a more a security fence around the backyard, no one has a fenced in front yard.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

posting this for the dozens of redditor responses calling OP an rear end in a top hat (there's also a lot calling her a teacher for some reason)

AITA for kicking a freshman out of my student-run show because she made a "joke" about Hitler?

quote:

I (17F) am directing a play for my school this spring. The show is very dark and has some jarring moments. This being said the cast needs to feel comfortable with each other and trust each other. The cast list came out a few days ago when one of my leads we'll call her Lauren (16F) came up to me and showed me a picture of a group chat. Rylie (not real name) who was casted in my show had sent a picture of Hitler with hearts around him and kissy faces as well as saying he was hot. Lauren is Jewish, and no longer feels safe being in the cast with someone who would send something like that. I emailed Rylie that night letting her know that she has been removed from the cast and I will need her script back. She asked if we could talk in person so I said sure we'll meet in the morning.

We meet up the next morning, I asked if she wanted to go somewhere private but she shook her head. I told her I needed to look out for my whole cast and that everyone needs to feel safe. Her actions are what caused this consequence and there will be other opportunities in the future. she handed back her script and went back to class.

Later during my study period, one of the counselors asked to talk to me. She told me that what I did was wrong. I was bullying this girl, she's only 14, ext. I stood my ground and said I did what I did. She asked why I couldn't mend the friendship, my reply was "I'm not here to mend friendships, I'm here to direct a show." We went back and forth for a while before she ended the conversation.

So Reddit, AITA for kicking a freshman out of my student-run show because she made a "joke" about Hitler?

EDIT:

The school knew what she did as well as her parents.

EDIT 2:

It is NOT a dark comedy. It is a drama/horror.

quote:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say near every person in this sub has made an inappropriate joke or laughed at one. Frankly, if you can’t find humour in sarcastically crushing on a supremacist, but you can sit and watch Pineapple Express or pretty much any comedy, you’re probably a loving hypocrite. The 14 year old is obviously not serious. The other 14 year old should probably know she’s not serious, or she’s just incredibly sheltered. Imo, teacher, you should have sat your students down and had a serious conversation on how not funny it is, make sure that’s clear, and move on with the play. I have friends who literally get so into character for plays and shows, that honestly stuff like this would make it easier to play the part. Even if it is stupid.

quote:

Yta, you're not james Gunn, she's a kid who made a mistake, punishment is fine and dandy but that's just taking things a little too far, you're there to learn and grow too not just direct a show, learn to forgive, and try to guide her to do better if you really cared. Youre children at the end of the day. Don't get a huge head because your directing.

quote:

Jesus Christ this is not antisemetic. Yes it is a bad joke and a very stupid idea to post it in a groupchat especially if there are Jews in it. However saying IRONICALLY someone is hot does not mean that you worship that person or are a nazi. Saying a 14 year old, who made a ironic poo poo post joke, is a white supremacist probably hurts the Jewish community more than this stupid joke.

quote:

So you're banning a 14 year old girl from an event without looking for any context or doing any investigation. Where is this school located? NAZI GERMANY????

YTA

quote:

ESH Yes she made a joke about Hitler, but come on what 14yr old doesn’t?

quote:

You Cancelled her when you could have just used a corrective measure. That's better for everyone.

quote:

How is it antisemitic to like Hitler's appearance

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

quote:

Yta, you're not james Gunn, she's a kid who made a mistake, punishment is fine and dandy but that's just taking things a little too far, you're there to learn and grow too not just direct a show, learn to forgive, and try to guide her to do better if you really cared. Youre children at the end of the day. Don't get a huge head because your directing.

gently caress this one in particular.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Reddit comments full of nazis. With a feather, you could knock me over.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

The top comments on that one are NTA and they call out the Nazi apologist comments below

Don't intend to apologize for reddit, just completing the picture for anyone else that found these comments too depressing

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
of course she's 14, the only other time you can post that is when you're 88

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for giving my oldest daughter an ultimatum because she refuses to help us out?

quote:

She's achieved a lot in her life and her boyfriend has too, it'd fill her life with joy when she has kids. She hasn't had any of hers yet, so she's not liking babies.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fire the counselor who tried to talk her out of her decision because they're either a Nazi or too loving stupid to be allowed to supervise other people much less themselves.

Hrmmm the joke is "I like this guy who attempted genocide against your ethnic group in still living memory". This surely could be funny to the recipient and not exclusively funny to the sender.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Want to point to anywhere that says this?

Grape posted:

Where are you getting the impression that this is true.

It's come up a couple of times in recent posts, most recently the one where old mate tore his fence down to spite the neighbour who owned the pool, and the laws of that area only mentioned needing a fence if you owned a pool. I did some googling to see if it's an actual USA phenomenon and this is what I got.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-American-houses-have-no-fences-between-them-Its-odd-for-an-Australian-because-all-properties-have-fences-here
https://www.city-data.com/forum/general-u-s/3111179-lack-fences-american-towns-east-midwest.html
https://www.datalounge.com/thread/18982238-what-is-it-with-so-many-american-backyards-not-having-fencing-all-the-way-round-
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/340iro/why_dont_most_houses_in_the_usa_have_gates/

I also went and had a look at some random places in the USA on Google Maps.

Might be just a regional thing in the USA, but it doesn't happen anywhere here, even if it's just a little tiny fence to demarcate the property.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

bell jar posted:

It's come up a couple of times in recent posts, most recently the one where old mate tore his fence down to spite the neighbour who owned the pool, and the laws of that area only mentioned needing a fence if you owned a pool. I did some googling to see if it's an actual USA phenomenon and this is what I got.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-American-houses-have-no-fences-between-them-Its-odd-for-an-Australian-because-all-properties-have-fences-here
https://www.city-data.com/forum/general-u-s/3111179-lack-fences-american-towns-east-midwest.html
https://www.datalounge.com/thread/18982238-what-is-it-with-so-many-american-backyards-not-having-fencing-all-the-way-round-
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/340iro/why_dont_most_houses_in_the_usa_have_gates/

I also went and had a look at some random places in the USA on Google Maps.

Might be just a regional thing in the USA, but it doesn't happen anywhere here, even if it's just a little tiny fence to demarcate the property.

I mean, it's not a hard and fast law that you need one or anything; you're allowed to not have one if you like. In my experience, most have at least some amount of fencing, though fully enclosing your property with a gate and everything is pretty rare.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh derp, I skipped a bit of it. I'm feeling too charitable lately I guess

This thread would be a lot shorter if people didn't comment on posts they didn't read all the way through. A lot more readable too.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

AnoHito posted:

I mean, it's not a hard and fast law that you need one or anything; you're allowed to not have one if you like. In my experience, most have at least some amount of fencing, though fully enclosing your property with a gate and everything is pretty rare.

It is weird though, I thought fences were owned by both parties and couldn't be unilaterally torn down. That's why both parties have to agree to/pay for fence repairs.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Party Ape posted:

It is weird though, I thought fences were owned by both parties and couldn't be unilaterally torn down. That's why both parties have to agree to/pay for fence repairs.

This is only correct sometimes. It depends on where the fence is. General rule: If the fence is on your property, it is your fence. If it's on your neighbor's property, it's their fence. If it's on the line, then either it's part of the deed saying where the land ends or you both built it with an agreement.

Consider the wall Trump wanted to build. Mexico didn't want any part of that poo poo, so it had to be built on American land. It couldn't be built on the border, because then both sides have to agree. It works kinda like that. Fences are not automatically a team project just because one side wants a fence.

and this is leaving out stuff about how far from the line it has to be built if it's your Your Fence, etc. Because there are laws and ordinances that say how far stuff has to be inside your property.

Oh, and it gets extra complicated in subdivisions or places with HOAs. Mostly because things are so close together, if not because of HOAs sucking. They have more fence rules.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 17, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

This is only correct sometimes. It depends on where the fence is. General rule: If the fence is on your property, it is your fence. If it's on your neighbor's property, it's their fence. If it's on the line, then either it's part of the deed saying where the land ends or you both built it with an agreement.

Consider the wall Trump wanted to build. Mexico didn't want any part of that poo poo, so it had to be built on American land. It couldn't be built on the border, because then both sides have to agree. It works kinda like that. Fences are not automatically a team project just because one side wants a fence.

and this is leaving out stuff about how far from the line it has to be built if it's your Your Fence, etc. Because there are laws and ordinances that say how far stuff has to be inside your property.

This leads to hilarious things when mixed with HOAs as seen in the example where a guy A builds a fence, but it has to be about 33cm back from the property line. Guy B cuts his yard, but explicitly does not cut the 33cm gap between Guy A's fence and Guy B's actual yard. Guy A gets fined for not maintaining his yard, which he cannot reach, because he built a fence and Guy B will not let him enter his property to cut.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Barudak posted:

Fire the counselor who tried to talk her out of her decision because they're either a Nazi or too loving stupid to be allowed to supervise other people much less themselves.

Hey now, don't be hasty.

They could be a nazi and a loving idiot.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Invisible Clergy posted:

Hey now, don't be hasty.

They could be a nazi and a loving idiot.

But you repeat yourself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blastedhellscape posted:

That's a lot of words just to say "I'm lazy and emotionally manipulative."

And the thing with the ski lift. "Yeah, I just make up stupid lies to try and passive-aggressively cajole my husband into agreeing to things. No biggie. By the way, I've heard that a lot of women have been conditioned to avoid making direct statements about their wants and needs. Might be a connection there. But I'm going to keep on with the weird lies and indirect cajoling."

Also familiar with women who end up reduced to tears that the people aren't them haven't done the things that they want done but of course haven't actually told them, they're supposed to know.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The Reddit mods are ALWAYS the rear end in a top hat.

In this one case, it looks like the rear end in a top hat mod went ahead and called op a manchild for everyone else.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Uncle Enzo posted:

OP doesn't have to be friends with anyone and the neighbor is putting on a lot of pressure, which is wrong. The vacation thing is pretty lol.

That said, had OP considered, like, giving it a shot for a while? See where things go? She doesn't have to by any means and she isn't an rear end in a top hat for saying no. But man imagine just baldly spurning someone's friendship like that.

I guess she got her wish, they're sure as hell not friends now! :thumbsup:

So, how loud was your scream when she said she was an atheist?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

mllaneza posted:

This thread would be a lot shorter if people didn't comment on posts they didn't read all the way through. A lot more readable too.

I agree people shouldn't comment.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

AITA: For expecting my wife to put up with sexist comments from old men?
Hello reddit, throwaway for anonymity.

quote:

I (32M) have always wanted to be a politician. It is my dream goal to make what i find to be an ideal world into reality. As this is reddit and not a debate sub, I will try not to get deeper than i need to in order to make this post make sense.

My wife of 3 years (25F) is an amazing person. She took on the style of a goth in high school and ran with it. She also considers herself a liberal progressive feminist etc. These are things I take no issue with myself and agree with, in the broad strokes at least. We live in a very conservative, very wealthy, and very pious area in the states.

I made absolutely sure before we married that if my political aspirations we to come to fruition, that she would have stay on the DL about her more controversial beliefs. I also made it clear that should I try for a political position, that I would need her at least occasional help in the form of attending events and such. This is because in such a conservatives area, not being married/not having your wife at your side is seen as a sign of immaturity. Yeah, those are the kinds of people we are dealing with here. She agreed to these terms and said she totally understood the nature of politics in our town. Great!

Well, recently an elected position in the local city government of moderate power and responsibility came available. Soon a major annual charity event is coming up. I cant get all to descriptive of the event as that would threaten my anonymity. But lets just say... Its a big F*cking deal. Often raising 6 figures, once 7. And having a large upfront cost just to get into the door. With that, all of the big players are there. I ask her to go, she agrees and dresses appropriately.

We get there, are seated with some old man, and I Eventually need to go to the bathroom, when I come out, well... my wife is in a borderline screaming match with this hob-goblin. I see this and have to stop myself from panicking. I manage to mostly diffuse the situation, and we just requested a different table. I asked what he did to make that happen, and she said that he kept commenting on how beautiful she was and complementing her dress. Just being a general creep. And he eventually said something along the lines of that he doesn't think women should have any power in society. She said she didn't exactly remember what he said because she was already angry at that point and she just cut him off and called him out of his BS. I explained to her that while what he said was a terrible thing to say, but also that she cant be taking these things personally, and that the guy is literally pushing up on 80 and no matter what she says, she wont change his opinions. She didn't like that POV, and we start arguing in full view of everyone.

We decided cut the event short and drove home in awkward silence, and she has been giving me the silent treatment for 2 days.

AITA?

Had to omit a lot due to character limit, feel free to ask further context.

OP posted:

I would rather be called a neo liberal than a libertarian.[...]

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 17, 2022

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I will never understand the people who are like

Yeh our values are not aligned at all as partners or people in general, but that's my boo

Why? Why. Over and over again, we see that good sex is not a glue strong enough to hold the entire loving enterprise together on its own.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Ever think about trying to pick it back up? It might be easier than you think if you still retain any knowledge of it.

Looking at the wiki page it says there are 50000 native speakers, and it doesn't seem worth the effort for the something I'd never use. I was skimming through some of the sample dialogue and recognized about half the words, so the knowledge is still rattling around in there.

If there was an ever an application for it beyond "speaking to distant relatives that don't speak English" then yeah I'd try picking it back up, but it's never really come up otherwise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I will never understand the people who are like

Yeh our values are not aligned at all as partners or people in general, but that's my boo

Why? Why. Over and over again, we see that good sex is not a glue strong enough to hold the entire loving enterprise together on its own.

The sex isn't even good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA: For expecting my wife to put up with sexist comments from old men?
Hello reddit, throwaway for anonymity.

"I agree with my wife's political views, except for when it inconveniences me."