Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there are so many lil gems in this article

https://wasbappin.substack.com/p/banned-from-pelosis-zoom-call

quote:

I monitored Pelosi and Meeks for any signs they were reading the comments.

Undeterred, I continued posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Last week a separatist militant was killed from a potshot. Nobody cared.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

inception, except about brain worms

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarquardtA/status/1494103552469479428

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
guide to understanding the russia ukraine situation:

training is escalation

moving troops to the border is escalation

moving troops away from the border is escalation

demobilizing troops is escalation

being on the receiving end of mortar fire is escalation

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
So do the people who are running the Biden admin think that getting into a war with Russia will help them in November? Because no one but politics weirdos and blue checks care about Ukraine and the most popular thing Biden has done was getting out of Afghanistan ( even though we're now starving them for some insane reason)

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
whoah 1000 posts in the Eurasia thread…looks like Putin, still didn’t invade? as shucks

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

spacemang_spliff posted:

So do the people who are running the Biden admin think that getting into a war with Russia will help them in November? Because no one but politics weirdos and blue checks care about Ukraine and the most popular thing Biden has done was getting out of Afghanistan ( even though we're now starving them for some insane reason)

we’ve reached the point where the political machinery of the country has ceased to operate based off of reality and what ‘makes sense’

it wouldve made sense for biden to do a lot of things to save his party’s chances in November, but that’s the funny thing about dying empires with rotting brains what makes sense is never gonna happen.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

eSports Chaebol posted:

whoah 1000 posts in the Eurasia thread…looks like Putin, still didn’t invade? as shucks

no not yet, but its been fun posting with my forum friends :)

love you guys ❤️

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

eSports Chaebol posted:

hes thinking about it really hard

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Al-Saqr posted:

https://twitter.com/JasonMBrodsky/status/1494127713883500544?s=20&t=0HjrwQucIgS_M4Z-apHW-g

Why even negotiate anything when the American government cant keep any diplomatic agreements or treaties AT ALL when all it takes is one midterm to uproot any diplomacy?

There's no way the US Senate is going to ratify the JCPOA as an actual international treaty. The whole reason it's an "agreement" or "deal" is to get around the two-thirds votes requirement of the Senate for treaties.

The only recent treaty the Senate has ratified is Trump's USMCA trade deal to replace NATFA. You have to go back ten years for the next. Which is the free trade treaty with Korea.

Edit: I know asking for a statement of support is different, but the US Senate is filled with hawks and there's no way it will be able to overturn a future president pulling out of the deal again.

OhFunny has issued a correction as of 06:22 on Feb 17, 2022

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Al-Saqr posted:

we’ve reached the point where the political machinery of the country has ceased to operate based off of reality and what ‘makes sense’

it wouldve made sense for biden to do a lot of things to save his party’s chances in November, but that’s the funny thing about dying empires with rotting brains what makes sense is never gonna happen.

Yeah I guess that's true, like asking why the person who is stripping the copper pipes is taking time to smear poo poo on the walls

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

this *has* to be a bit

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

StashAugustine posted:

this *has* to be a bit

I regret to inform you that wasbappin is not a bit

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
that person is not well.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

WASBAPPIN posted:

Undeterred, I continued posting.

thread title

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

my unified theory on Ukraine is that Putin did larger than usual war games, saw the west panicked, and put some “we’re totally going to invade “ stuff into channels he knew were compromised to more or less troll us. our entire foreign policy establishment is too dogshit dumb to think about what invading Ukraine during mud season would entail and this whole thing has spun out of control. but it’s not so bad - now Ukraine needs to take more awful loans. maybe there’s like a library system or something else left we can make them privatize later hmm good deal

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
goddamnit I was supposed to be a pile of radioactive ash by now. what the gently caress poutin?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The invasion scare started like three months before the war games took place, that is if we ignore the invasion scare that happened six months before that.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Centrist Committee posted:

goddamnit I was supposed to be a pile of radioactive ash by now. what the gently caress poutin?

I would kill for a good Poutin with hot dogs and and stuff right now.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've been on a four-day bender in vegas and i'm all out of money. please biden, it's time to push the button

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

I would kill for a good Poutin with hot dogs and and stuff right now.

I've got just the place for you

https://www.tripsavvy.com/montreals-best-poutine-4059934

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

is there any good poutine in seattle

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is that southwestern poutine on the left

edit lol found it

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

is there any good poutine in seattle

Nothing extraordinary. The hockey bar in greenwood is alright.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

hell yeah, poutine and FREEDOM FRIEDS take that ukrainian nazis

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Best Friends posted:

my unified theory on Ukraine is that Putin did larger than usual war games, saw the west panicked, and put some “we’re totally going to invade “ stuff into channels he knew were compromised to more or less troll us. our entire foreign policy establishment is too dogshit dumb to think about what invading Ukraine during mud season would entail and this whole thing has spun out of control. but it’s not so bad - now Ukraine needs to take more awful loans. maybe there’s like a library system or something else left we can make them privatize later hmm good deal

https://i.imgur.com/WpqIYLQ.mp4

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Al-Saqr posted:

they don't want to be in power because then the expectation is they have to do things

they were so sad when they won those special elections and captured both houses as well as the white house and they had stop tilting at republicans to tilt at manchin/sinema

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Best Friends posted:

according to the guest on radio war nerd, ukraine's economy was already hosed because russia's new pipelines allow them to avoid paying them anything to transport gas around europe. they went from ~6 billion a year to ~4 billion when the turkstream went operational.

nordstream 2 getting turned on is probably only a matter of time since 30% of germany's energy comes from russian gas so ukraine is going to lose even more of its revenue.

deliberating agitating/trolling would create more pressure on ukraine and would risk another nazi coup and the backlash might delay nordstream 2 even more.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is actually the best joke in Raiders of the Lost Ark tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3IFVERSQkA

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 07:38 on Feb 17, 2022

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

crepeface posted:

according to the guest on radio war nerd, ukraine's economy was already hosed because russia's new pipelines allow them to avoid paying them anything to transport gas around europe. they went from ~6 billion a year to ~4 billion when the turkstream went operational.

nordstream 2 getting turned on is probably only a matter of time since 30% of germany's energy comes from russian gas so ukraine is going to lose even more of its revenue.

deliberating agitating/trolling would create more pressure on ukraine and would risk another nazi coup and the backlash might delay nordstream 2 even more.

an earlier rwn mentioned that ukraine was an industrial powerhouse when it was part of the ussr but got deindustrialized and asset stripped, with brave diaspora ukrainian patriots leading the way in bringing neoliberalism to the country. post maidan the politicians figured they could substitute nationalism for any attempt at industrial policy or economic rejuvenation and the result's been a lot of emigration and their gdp per capita cratering. excited to see where this is going (even worse)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/planetcommunism/status/1494051965382250496

I know it's going to sound like that joke about the British Airlines pilot that didn't know how to make an approach into Hamburg airport because he never landed there before despite having flown there previously,

but when I was vacationing in Cambodia in 2016, I was talking to an American lady who said she was there with her husband, and they decided to take a trip to the country because he wanted to see it from the ground.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mongolia has a higher gdp per capita than ukraine now

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

i say swears online posted:

Looks like Mongols need more democracy

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

mila kunis posted:

an earlier rwn mentioned that ukraine was an industrial powerhouse when it was part of the ussr but got deindustrialized and asset stripped, with brave diaspora ukrainian patriots leading the way in bringing neoliberalism to the country. post maidan the politicians figured they could substitute nationalism for any attempt at industrial policy or economic rejuvenation and the result's been a lot of emigration and their gdp per capita cratering. excited to see where this is going (even worse)

the diaspora story is really interesting. I don't know if they talked about it in Canada, and I can only piece together fragments of the whole thing from academic articles and some journalism, but basically the first wave of ukranian immigrants to canada became active in canada's nascent labour movement, were responsible for building labour halls, helping establish unions, not exactly endearing themselves to the state. the second wave that arrived in ww2 fleeing the red army successfully conducted a campaign of red baiting against the earlier immigrants, in some cases straight up getting the state to seize the property of the first wave on behalf of the second wave so that it could be repurposed as cultural centres and stuff that was much more cold war friendly.

canada has the largest ukranian diaspora in the world, with an outsized influence on our politics - and apparently ukranian politics - and it barely gets a mention in our media most of the time.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Best Friends posted:

I'm still hoping this whole goofup backfires horribly on the US/NATO/EU somehow. Ukrainians start burning American flags at a protest and the acela corridor folks just have their brains melt out of their ears

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Dreylad posted:

the diaspora story is really interesting. I don't know if they talked about it in Canada, and I can only piece together fragments of the whole thing from academic articles and some journalism, but basically the first wave of ukranian immigrants to canada became active in canada's nascent labour movement, were responsible for building labour halls, helping establish unions, not exactly endearing themselves to the state. the second wave that arrived in ww2 fleeing the red army successfully conducted a campaign of red baiting against the earlier immigrants, in some cases straight up getting the state to seize the property of the first wave on behalf of the second wave so that it could be repurposed as cultural centres and stuff that was much more cold war friendly.

canada has the largest ukranian diaspora in the world, with an outsized influence on our politics - and apparently ukranian politics - and it barely gets a mention in our media most of the time.

i think the time of the banderists affecting domestic politics (when they were used to smash the left wing ukrainian diaspora and used as strikebreakers by the state) is probably long gone, now its just grifting and using established networks to go to nice cocktail parties or get a piece of the pie in looting ukraine

that's the thing that consistently pisses me off about right wing nationalists, they talk a big game about national pride or whatever but when it comes down to it they're just thieves that make their country worse

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

mila kunis posted:

i think the time of the banderists affecting domestic politics (when they were used to smash the left wing ukrainian diaspora and used as strikebreakers by the state) is probably long gone, now its just grifting and using established networks to go to nice cocktail parties or get a piece of the pie in looting ukraine

that's the thing that consistently pisses me off about right wing nationalists, they talk a big game about national pride or whatever but when it comes down to it they're just thieves that make their country worse

Yeah fair enough, it's hard to get a feel for how much influence they have because Canadian politicians love showing up at some Ukranian cultural event with a portrait of Bandera in the background and it seems like they're juicing whoever is in power to get money and supplies flowing from Canada to Ukrainian right-wingers. As you say, there's a lot of grift going on as well.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

i say swears online posted:

So does Moldova (depending on the year), Ukraine is still in really bad shape economically. It is also why Nordstream 2 is still such an issue because the Ukrainian state needs those transit fees plus the additional cost of gas importation is really going to hurt them (especially if it remains elevated).

Their military is also consuming 4-5% of GDP due to the conflict in Donbas. Also, more recently they have had a issue with raising more debt on their own because there is so little confidence in their bonds (probably why they needed emergency lending.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:16 on Feb 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

??????

???

?