Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rusty posted:

I went and drove a Kona N at the local Hyundai dealer and loved it, and probably would have just bought it then and there until they guy said it had a $5k markup. I understand the ionic markup I guess, but even those weren't selling on the dealer lot, they had like 10 of them and were only marked up like 3k. Anyway, no way I am spending 40k on a Kona. I took a shot of my GTI by an Ionic 5 for size comparison since everyone says they are so large compared to what you think they are. It was large, but not that big.

Anyway, if you are in the Portland area and want to see a bunch of Ionic 5s, there are tons at the beaverton Hyundai on the lot and for sale.
Yeah Kona N markup is ridiculous, been hearing $5-10k from most places here in California. Found some dealers that do MSRP but didn't have the color I wanted, best I could find was $395 over which eh whatever, there's barely been any at all down here. Supposed to be coming sometime this month.

And can't tell if you're being sarcastic with that pic :v:. I saw one too, smaller than I expected but still thought the size was noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ok Comboomer posted:

Buy a ‘19 and get it painted. Way better looking front end and interior anyway

I’ll be damned if I want to pay $35k for a used Golf and $5k to get it painted.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
You've all made some good and interesting points, first stop will be test drives. Now as luck would have it I had to have surgery on my toe recently so that's going to delay things a bit.

Rhyno posted:

The choice is clear.

You must buy both.

Goddammit.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Rusty posted:

I went and drove a Kona N at the local Hyundai dealer and loved it, and probably would have just bought it then and there until they guy said it had a $5k markup.

I'm curious why you're thinking of going from a GTI to the Kona N? I've also been looking at Kona/Elantra N, but would probably buy a used 18/19 GTI if the prices were normal (PS: I'm in Portland if you want to sell yours for a normal price, though obviously now is a great time to make a lot of money on your car 😎).

Re: Focus RS, I have a '16 Fiesta ST and just test drove a '17 Focus RS. Very fun car, but the one I'm looking at has 60K miles and mods, and even for $30K (seems pretty low for the current market) I'm worried about problems and maintenance costs. But I've always wanted one, so I'm going back and forth.

One interesting thing I noticed is that the RS doesn't really feel that much faster than the Fiesta — it's just that you look down and you're going 60 whereas in the Fiesta you'd be going 35. But for daily driving at normal speeds (what I'm doing) I'm not sure if the RS would actually be more enjoyable. The interior, while not awesome, is definitely nicer than the Fiesta, though (heated steering wheel, sunroof, slightly better materials, bigger). The one that I drove had KW coilovers, and the ride felt similar to my Fiesta ST (not comfortable but not brutal).

But for 30-35K, I'm leaning more towards the Elantra N, or waiting for the new Civic Type R/GR Corolla, even though those will probably be closer to 35-40K. But maybe worth it for a new car with a warranty.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Yea, except ‘19s are selling for nearly 30k+ with at least 25k miles on them. I’ve been wanting to replace my 2012 but it’s rough out there.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

grahm posted:

I'm curious why you're thinking of going from a GTI to the Kona N? I've also been looking at Kona/Elantra N, but would probably buy a used 18/19 GTI if the prices were normal (PS: I'm in Portland if you want to sell yours for a normal price, though obviously now is a great time to make a lot of money on your car 😎).
I think I have decided after car shopping for a few weeks that I am just going to keep the GTI. The main reason for the Kona interest is that it is a bit more raw, a bit more stiff and has more HP. Also I kind of like the looks better, in black anyway. The more I look though the more it seems like the GTI is just as fast as the Kona, so not sure if this is just a limitation of the FWD platform, KIA inflating their numbers, or VW having more HP at the wheels. Either way, they don't seem to be that far apart as the HP numbers suggest which is kind of what it felt like in the test drive. The GTI just is really quiet and unassuming about it. I was going to use the value of the car to step up to something newer, but everything newer is also super expensive. The GTI is great so I am lucky to have it and I barely drive anyway. It's a `19 with 5k miles so not sure why I am car shopping anyway.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
His Holiness, the Great DeMuro, tells us that this bubble won’t last forever, and should burst in the next year or two once the manufacturers get their chip situation resolved

Also, my ‘15 FiST hit 86k miles. Anything I should do to it when it hits 100k? Bilstein B4/B6? Cobb motor mounts? Catback? I wanna go into the engine bay and clean/replace all the fasteners that have gotten corroded. I’ve read stories of these cars running really rough at ~150k and I want to keep mine as good as I can into the future

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i think the bubble will burst but it won't fully deflate for the kinds of cars you just cannot buy new anymore like the FoRS and the FiST

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i think the bubble will burst but it won't fully deflate for the kinds of cars you just cannot buy new anymore like the FoRS and the FiST

yep, the ‘09 bubble is what precipitated the astronomical rise in E30 and 911 prices and those never came back under like $40k

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Anything interesting is never going to be inexpensive ever again.

I know I posted the March Super Turbo earlier in the thread and I should have that (finally) in March, but I do have a maybe-less traditional 'hot hatch', this counts right?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KakerMix posted:

I know I posted the March Super Turbo earlier in the thread and I should have that (finally) in March, but I do have a maybe-less traditional 'hot hatch', this counts right?

Toe to tip, that’s a Hatch

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Homologation special, too. Pretty nifty vehicle.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

KakerMix posted:

holy f

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I always wanted a GT4, I have a more traditional Celica though. It's kind of a mess right now though. Five years ago someone keyed it so bad in every panel, there are grooves in the metal. :(

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Rusty posted:

I think I have decided after car shopping for a few weeks that I am just going to keep the GTI. The main reason for the Kona interest is that it is a bit more raw, a bit more stiff and has more HP. Also I kind of like the looks better, in black anyway. The more I look though the more it seems like the GTI is just as fast as the Kona, so not sure if this is just a limitation of the FWD platform, KIA inflating their numbers, or VW having more HP at the wheels. Either way, they don't seem to be that far apart as the HP numbers suggest which is kind of what it felt like in the test drive. The GTI just is really quiet and unassuming about it. I was going to use the value of the car to step up to something newer, but everything newer is also super expensive. The GTI is great so I am lucky to have it and I barely drive anyway. It's a `19 with 5k miles so not sure why I am car shopping anyway.

On paper the speed numbers look close enough that I imagine they'd feel pretty darn close in real world driving. The Kona N weighs a couple hundred more pounds per google, and word on the street is VW underreports the GTI power - if I'm reading the page right (https://www.goapr.com/products/software/ecu_upgrade/parts/ECU-20T-EA888-3-T-IS20) APR dyno'd the stock GTI at 264 HP on 93 octane. If you want more power, can always slap one of the APR/Unitronic/etc. no mods required stage 1 tunes on to get closer to the 300 HP mark, and there's the APR+ tune option for their powertrain warranty coverage so you don't lose that.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Rusty posted:

It's a `19 with 5k miles so not sure why I am car shopping anyway.

Yeah to me that is sorta a perfect car/situation. If I was you I'd hold onto it for a few more years and sell it 6-12 months before the warranty expires — by that time prices should be more normal, you'll have a lot of exciting things to choose from, and you'll get the extra $$ from selling a VW still in warranty.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/5IGc28kpDD4

A four-eye Integra counts as a hatch, right?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ok Comboomer posted:

https://youtu.be/5IGc28kpDD4

A four-eye Integra counts as a hatch, right?

If the Celica counts then the Integra also counts, it's only fair.
:colbert:

I bought the GT-Four for resell only, it's 100% stock (though it is missing its head unit but the harness isn't cut) including the exhaust (!!!). Making it good and pretty then I'll put it up for sale and hopefully snag a fat profit.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KakerMix posted:

:perfect:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Does my 2004 Honda-CR-V count as a hatch?

Even if it had a five-speed manual it wouldn't count as a hatch, because the rearmost door opens sideways, not up. Are there any cars with side-hinged rear openings that are disqualified for the same reason?

The side-hinged door is the best design because you can put the spare tire on the back and you can get things in and out of the back with a forklift.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you should not be putting things in and out of your cr-v with a counterbalance :wtc:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you should not be putting things in and out of your cr-v with a counterbalance :wtc:

Yeah, that’s what a wagon is for

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Acura taking pre-orders on the new Integra starting in March. Looks like the Civic Si + is coming soon. I do like the look of it though I think I'm in the minority on this.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023-acura-integra-reservations-open-march/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

On Terra Firma posted:

Acura taking pre-orders on the new Integra starting in March. Looks like the Civic Si + is coming soon. I do like the look of it though I think I'm in the minority on this.

I don’t hate the new Integra, there I said it.

It is, however, very obvious that Honda isn’t letting US buyers get an Si with heated seats or a fully digital dash, etc because they want to upsell those customers to this.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

On Terra Firma posted:

I lol every time I see the INTEGRA on the side.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Midjack posted:

I lol every time I see the INTEGRA on the side.

That they did it at all kinda speaks for how not-an-integra-as-people-remember it is, ironic because they are trying to bank on the name.

That the car itself isn't white and the INTEGRA on the side isn't red is the biggest goddamn crime of all. Like goddamn Honda at least put in the tiniest amount of effort to understand why people like the Integra so much.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Hatch?

At least it’s turbo and has straight pipes.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KakerMix posted:

That they did it at all kinda speaks for how not-an-integra-as-people-remember it is, ironic because they are trying to bank on the name.

That the car itself isn't white and the INTEGRA on the side isn't red is the biggest goddamn crime of all. Like goddamn Honda at least put in the tiniest amount of effort to understand why people like the Integra so much.
Whenever I see the giant name on the side I just imagine Principal Chalmers yelling "that's how people know it's an Integra!"

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Hatch?

At least it’s turbo and has straight pipes.

GTIs are longer and wider :shrug:

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

coopers are early 000s fashion carified.

sickening

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

japtor posted:

Whenever I see the giant name on the side I just imagine Principal Chalmers yelling "that's how people know it's an Integra!"

GTIs are longer and wider :shrug:

And heavier apparently. This thing squeaks in under 3k lb since it’s not the All4

I was pleasantly surprised at how not-massive this car is when I went to test drive it. It’s much more useful that the first gen new Coopers, and the ten years of development make for a way better interior and ride quality.

Here it is next to the R53 we traded.

Qmass posted:

coopers are early 000s fashion carified.

sickening

Yeah I 100% agree it’s goofy looking.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
From what I understand wrt Mini Coopers, there’s a ton of 00’s-era cars out there that are fun and quirky, but you have to settle for the Tritec or Prince motors, both of which appear to be considered—not worse, but certainly a lot less capable than the modern BMW stuff. Also the Tritec is half Chrysler and the Prince is half Peugeot, which like eww on both counts.

But those cars are relatively plentiful and relatively cheap, barring market bubble times.

And if you want the best ICE Mini experience possible as an enthusiast, then you’re basically obligated to shell out for a 3rd generation model with the B48, and that Gen 3 is a radically better car.

Am I correct in that assessment?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 18, 2022

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ok Comboomer posted:

From what I understand wrt Mini Coopers, there’s a ton of 00’s-era cars out there that are fun and quirky, but you have to settle for the Tritec or Prince motors, both of which appear to be considered—not worse, but certainly a lot less capable than the modern BMW stuff. Also the Tritec is half Chrysler and the Prince is half Peugeot, which like eww on both counts.

But those cars are relatively plentiful and relatively cheap, barring market bubble times.

And if you want the best ICE Mini experience possible as an enthusiast, then you’re basically obligated to shell out for a 3rd generation model with the B48, and that Gen 3 is a radically better car.

I haven’t dug into all this stuff massively in depth or anything, but to my eyes the second iteration is a marked improvement over the first ones, which was all I’d owned before as far as Minis go (R53 x3). This car has the Prince N18, which does seem to be decent in terms of performance. It feels at least as fast as the R53 which had a smaller supercharger pulley, exhaust, and intake.

I didn’t really want to spend Gen 3 money since I wanted to keep my Fit in the stable as well, and honestly I was impressed with the Countryman, especially for the price. I thought it was going to be very “meh”, but it is a genuinely nice and fun car for my long drives, and the interior is worlds more comfortable and usable than the R53. It’s just way more silly looking.

If I’d been ok with getting rid of the Fit I might not have gone with another Mini at all, but at least for now I’m glad I did.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 18, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I haven’t dug into all this stuff massively in depth or anything, but to my eyes the second iteration is a marked improvement over the first ones, which was all I’d owned before as far as Minis go (R53 x3). I didn’t really want to spend Gen 3 money since I wanted to keep my Fit in the stable as well, and honestly I was impressed with the Countryman, especially for the price. I thought it was going to be very “meh”, but it is a genuinely nice and fun car for my long drives, and the interior is worlds more comfortable and usable than the R53. It’s just way more silly looking.

If I’d been ok with getting rid of the Fit I might not have gone with another Mini at all, but at least for now I’m glad I did.

Seems like people appreciate the more linear power delivery and relative durability of the supercharged R53, but yeah seems like the consensus on the Prince cars is “much more power and torque than before, arguably more reliable and easier to maintain, all of the problems are your bog standard ‘turbocharged DI engine problems’ which is to say carbon buildup, turbo failure, and fuel pump failure. If you’re buying one in 2022 chances are a lot of that stuff got taken care of by a previous owner”.

And then the B48 is basically the same turbo 4-cyl that BMW rolled out across their lineup ~10 years ago.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ok Comboomer posted:

Seems like people appreciate the more linear power delivery and relative durability of the supercharged R53, but yeah seems like the consensus on the Prince cars is “much more power and torque than before, arguably more reliable and easier to maintain, all of the problems are your bog standard ‘turbocharged DI engine problems’ which is to say carbon buildup, turbo failure, and fuel pump failure. If you’re buying one in 2022 chances are a lot of that stuff got taken care of by a previous owner”.

And then the B48 is basically the same turbo 4-cyl that BMW rolled out across their lineup ~10 years ago.

I also enjoy the straight pipe turbo cackle, and better fuel economy

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

Don't know the 1st gen much other than auto trans issues, although I'm sure there's more. 2nd gen I'm decently familiar with, particularly with the early models like my 08. Came out with the 07s and I think tweaked for the 11 refresh or so, and maybe a few other times as they kept trying to fix things. 3rd gen is pretty solid from most accounts, I vaguely recall something...maybe the engine mounts, but could be totally off there (and might be Countryman specific since that's what I was looking into).

But Prince stuff off the top of my head: timing chain potentially blowing up engines, valve cover (or whatever various gasket) leaks, turbo line leak, coolant thermostat/housing leak, fuel pump failure...and new one that I just got recently :suicide:, oil filter (housing?) leak. I've had a few of those happen a few times, luckily got the timing chain fixed before it destroyed the engine.

There's cheapish replacement turbo lines that supposedly fix that problem, coolant thermostat housings appear cheap enough, and the various gaskets and such. It's mainly* the labor that'll get you cause from what I can tell it seems like a bitch to get at anything. So might be ok for a DIYer, but a potential money pit for an idiot like myself. Didn't seem too complex for the ones I looked at, mostly just annoying and time consuming with all the stuff you need to get out of the way first to access anything. I might be able to do the stuff...but also might just end up stuck with a bunch of random car parts on the floor and an inoperable car.

*...well the fuel pump was expensive as poo poo and took a while to come in a few years ago...I wouldn't want to look at that with the current state of things.

I also enjoy the straight pipe turbo cackle, and better fuel economy
Early second gen didn't get the cackle :(. I think it was added back for the refresh. I forget if 3rd gen might've recently lost it for 22s.

Cat Pancakes
Apr 24, 2012

New wheels and tires, feel wayyy better than the old boat anchors on there.
Now I need brakes, mine are ugly and you can see them now.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

japtor posted:

Don't know the 1st gen much other than auto trans issues, although I'm sure there's more. 2nd gen I'm decently familiar with, particularly with the early models like my 08. Came out with the 07s and I think tweaked for the 11 refresh or so, and maybe a few other times as they kept trying to fix things. 3rd gen is pretty solid from most accounts, I vaguely recall something...maybe the engine mounts, but could be totally off there (and might be Countryman specific since that's what I was looking into).

But Prince stuff off the top of my head: timing chain potentially blowing up engines, valve cover (or whatever various gasket) leaks, turbo line leak, coolant thermostat/housing leak, fuel pump failure...and new one that I just got recently :suicide:, oil filter (housing?) leak. I've had a few of those happen a few times, luckily got the timing chain fixed before it destroyed the engine.

There's cheapish replacement turbo lines that supposedly fix that problem, coolant thermostat housings appear cheap enough, and the various gaskets and such. It's mainly* the labor that'll get you cause from what I can tell it seems like a bitch to get at anything. So might be ok for a DIYer, but a potential money pit for an idiot like myself. Didn't seem too complex for the ones I looked at, mostly just annoying and time consuming with all the stuff you need to get out of the way first to access anything. I might be able to do the stuff...but also might just end up stuck with a bunch of random car parts on the floor and an inoperable car.

*...well the fuel pump was expensive as poo poo and took a while to come in a few years ago...I wouldn't want to look at that with the current state of things.

Early second gen didn't get the cackle :(. I think it was added back for the refresh. I forget if 3rd gen might've recently lost it for 22s.

Mine is a ‘12 so it has it, thank goodness.

The other hatch is now lukewarm

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

KakerMix posted:

They made it a nicer and sportier Civic, and the "biggest goddamn crime of all" is that the show car is Phoenix Yellow instead of Championship White.

Sounds pretty loving great to me.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

They already had a nicer and sportier civic. This generation is gonna have two of em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Dr. Lunchables posted:

They already had a nicer and sportier civic. This generation is gonna have two of em.

Si isn't a hatch though which automatically disqualifies it for me and a lot of people though.