Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm honestly just going to stan Cody harder to make people mad when he turns into Hogan in WCW and puts the nail in the coffin. It will be meta like everything he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm honestly just going to stan Cody harder to make people mad when he turns into Hogan in WCW

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
It's still weird to me that he did all the wink wink nudge nudge stuff and the pedigree teases if he never intended to turn heel

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

mooseinfants posted:

It's still weird to me that he did all the wink wink nudge nudge stuff and the pedigree teases if he never intended to turn heel

one fan theory running around is this was part of a compromise with Tony who was pushing for him to go heel

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Drakkel posted:

Not only did Cody play himself into losing his executive status in the company (not to mention his two other TV deals with Warner), he also played his wife into giving up her cushy office job where they at least had to try to book her in storylines/matches so they could go to WWE where they won't even have to attempt to use her in any way.

This news has been depressing. I may disagree with people thinking they have to sell out or work for bad people to make money but I get why people do it. That said if Stardust literally tosses away everything he had built for a payday that just feels dumb as gently caress. Dude not only had his EVP status in a company he founded, had extra shows and was getting some fame/pull to make more for both himself and his wife and then he chooses to go back to a liche that thrives on spite and revenge who previously tried to steal his own real life name and the legacy of his family? That’s just insane. Vince might accidentally play nice for a month or two but he hates when his toys disobey and he didn’t like him from the beginning. Barely anyone in wwe remembers or is dying for a returning Handsome Cody Rhodes or Stardust. Not a question of if but when Vince punishes him and forces him to be Stardust again. Only real uncertainty is can Vince’s spite overpower the ability of Nick Khan to kill his contract at a whim? Then the guy has to start over AGAIN from the ground up after jobbing to Happy Corbin and Tony Pepperoni for five years. Anyone who has even remotely followed wwe since 2000 knows what’s coming so just seems sad and mind boggling. Oh well… not my life. Hopefully he has good lawyers that will let him keep his name.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 17, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hefty Leftist posted:

one fan theory running around is this was part of a compromise with Tony who was pushing for him to go heel

i don't know why people are trying to go this weird about it. dude had a character he was trying to play and would've continued it if he had stayed at aew. him leaving doesn't retroactively make all that untrue or stop existing

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

flatluigi posted:

i don't know why people are trying to go this weird about it. dude had a character he was trying to play and would've continued it if he had stayed at aew. him leaving doesn't retroactively make all that untrue or stop existing

I think fans who were too eager to buy into the "He's doing a brilliant slow-burn heel turn!" are also too eager to go "He was just a delusional guy who wanted to be a face all along!" now that they realize they were wrong.

He repeatedly, openly said he didn't want to turn heel, but he's also self aware enough to understand the reactions he was drawing, and he's never shied away from showing off some heel tendencies even when the crowd embraced him as a babyface. I think he was willing to play into the boos to a certain extent once he realized that's what he had to work with, but he also thought he could eventually land a dismount where the fans were back on his side. Like, I don't think he went into a program with cool new violent heel Malakai Black and thought "this'll be what gets everyone to support me again!", but I also think in the back of his head he envisioned an eventual end to his tweener run that didn't involve a full-fledged heel turn, and the crowds were not gonna give him an opening to do that in a way that felt organic.

The moment I began to suspect he couldn't thread the needle of what he was trying to pull off was after Grand Slam, when he did some interview where he was like "Look, some crowds will be home crowds, and some will be road crowds." and then basically every crowd after that booed the poo poo out of him. "Smarks hate me, normies like me" is the kind of dynamic Cody seems like he would love; he's a big Shades of Grey guy. But he really struggled to keep any crowd on his side for longer than the occasional stretch of a match or a promo, and I don't think he was equipped to deal with that

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Today on A Shot Of Brandi we're trying out a new drink called "Unemployed"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Today on A Shot Of Brandi we're trying out a new drink called "Unemployed"

Brandi's social media intern scrolls through twitter one Thursday evening to see that Vince went on another firing spree. It's now a race against time to pull down the next episode of A Shot of Brandi featuring the newly fired Ricochet before it premieres.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Holy hell that's even sadder. Like I never enjoyed a Brandi match but she'd made it pretty clear she wants to be an active wrestler and then went and gave up everything she was doing with AEW/TNT/Warner to.....do nothing? Is she gonna go back to the indies while Cody does his WWE 24/7 title run? Something she could have just done while still working for AEW and it wouldn't even be that weird cause there's tons of couples that work for both companies? It's a real messy situation.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think Cody and Brandi will probably be fine

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Cody is going to win the IC title at Wrestlemania and then abscond with the belt to NJPW.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
(Guy leaves his very well paying job for another very well paying job) Oh wow. What a misstep. I think it's putting it lightly to say Cody has set up a dreadfully fraught situation for him and his wife, another rich adult who decided to leave her job

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

If Cody didn't want to be booed, going to WWE is the right move.

That way he'll get no reaction from the crowd.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MorningMoon posted:

Brandi's social media intern scrolls through twitter one Thursday evening to see that Vince went on another firing spree. It's now a race against time to pull down the next episode of A Shot of Brandi featuring the newly fired Ricochet before it premieres.

Genuine question: did they also lose all their shows? I’m thinking yes as they said bye to Warner media and Vince does not tolerate side hustles but do we know 100%? Can’t imagine I’d be be happy saying goodbye to a few shows and a position of my own in a company because my significant other decided to go work for a senile tyrant. Unless the person just wants to chill at home and focus on raising a child Brandi seems to be losing a lot based on this. Will Vince let her have her own YouTube or whatnot shows or will that be tied to Cody’s downside?

I feel bad for Brandi now.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I have really good news for the people who feel bad for Brandi or are worried about her. There's actually a chance she and her husband talked about all this stuff together and came to a decision based on that

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Brandi is gonna do an indie tour ala pre-AEW Cody

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

xbilkis posted:

(Guy leaves his very well paying job for another very well paying job) Oh wow. What a misstep. I think it's putting it lightly to say Cody has set up a dreadfully fraught situation for him and his wife, another rich adult who decided to leave her job

He hated it so much that he traveled the world and started another Federation. They wouldn’t let her honor his favorite person in the world, his dead father.
WWE is much worse now

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
cody is going to return to raw before veer does

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

veer debuts immediately after cody and pins him in 4 seconds, neither are seen again after

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

a.lo posted:

yeah and where are they now

They also kept CJ around and signed Zelina Vega specifically to try and make their lives worse with humiliating booking. Where Brock ended up compared to his first few years of booking is an anomaly.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

There is at least a 50/50 chance of either an explicit or implied cuck angle with Cody just because they'll be told it will pop ratings like a reality show.

Or maybe this time they'll make him a straight up creepy stalker like with DDP.

They also paid Sting a lot of money.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

What is all this talk about Cody desperately trying to be a face

The dude kept teasing walking through the heel tunnel. Along with a thousand other wink wink heel things

He absolutely knew what he was doing and I won't stand for this rewriting of history

(It's still a huge meta-work marks)

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

What is all this talk about Cody desperately trying to be a face

The dude kept teasing walking through the heel tunnel. Along with a thousand other wink wink heel things

He absolutely knew what he was doing and I won't stand for this rewriting of history

(It's still a huge meta-work marks)

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

There isn't an outcome that isn't extremely hilarious. Either Cody gets humiliated in the fed on purpose or by the fact they literally can't book anything anymore, or he's showing up Shibata and NJPW working Meltzer on the WK match on an entirely different level.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

shiksa posted:

learning that cody wasnt doing some sort of insanely advanced meta post-wrestling storyline and just had a very unlikeable character that he kept trying to force into being a face has been akin to christmas for me

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I love being correct, and hell, I’m not afraid to say it

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

In hindsight its the loving funniest outcome possible.

Cody left because Tony won't let him keep booking complete crap for more money. I say this after the flaming table spot and the teasing the pedigree made me codypilled.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

this is so stupid that i've come completely around and now i think its a work

cody will be back at revolution and he'll pedigree hangman at the end then give a you people promo

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It’s a shame tho, him going back to NWA for a coffee break to lose to Cardona (someone who actually is worth a drat And good at what he does) would have been funny/good

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I don’t like Brandi at all and could go the rest of my life without ever seeing her on AEW programming again, but by not following Cody to WWE she is absolutely the smart one in this situation because Vince would have eventually exercised the 90 day cut option on Cody to make the tempting big payday turn into dust, while retaining Brandi for the most sexist and/or racist angles anyone has ever dreamed of. This is the only time I will ever say this but good on Brandi.

There is a 99.9% chance of this, and the .1% is just acknowledging that Vince is very very old and could foreseeably shuffle off this mortal coil, at least in theory. In practice, Vince made the same deal with the devil as Dick Cheney and will live 1000 years before his soul is claimed and dragged to hell.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbh even if Cody had zero creative control he'd still be a really good wrestler, not least because the Dustin match and the Sammy ladder match were two of the best matches in AEW history up to this point. If the man hadn't let his loving stupid overinflated ego get in his way and ceded control to Tony Khan, maybe actually turning heel (and not even changing up his character that much! Look at Bo Dallas, he was a great delusional heel!), he could have had a great year as a professional wrestler, not least because he wouldn't be booking his own loving angles.

ah well. Best of luck to Cody Rhodes, Sports Entertainer, because he's really gonna need it lmao

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/RWASVLx.mp4

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lol that Cody haters are so desperate to maintain that they're rewriting the last 6 months of Cody's storylines so they can proclaim themselves to be justified in hating a dude who did great matches and great promos because he *checks notes* wears a suit

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

Lol that Cody haters are so desperate to maintain that they're rewriting the last 6 months of Cody's storylines so they can proclaim themselves to be justified in hating a dude who did great matches and great promos because he *checks notes* wears a suit

it's pathetic tbh.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

I love being correct, and hell, I’m not afraid to say it

Do you think posting like this is endearing?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Cody is good. Cody is also ridiculous. Part of why he's good is that he's ridiculous.

I don't think he's going to find what he's looking for in WWE but I hope I'm wrong about that.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Cody has good matches but his character / I guess his real life self are both clown asses.

It's okay to like his matches and think he's a total clown rear end. Those two things are both equally valid.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lamuella posted:

I don't think he's going to find what he's looking for in WWE but I hope I'm wrong about that.

I think he's going to find exactly what he's looking for (money)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think he's going to find exactly what he's looking for (money)

It will be underneath a black and gold makeup kit and a full body suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They don’t allow black and gold anymore.