Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

JBP posted:

You're the most powerful monster in Sekiro it rules.

This. You have no stamina bar. Your attacks are relentless and unending. When the enemy finally decides to get an attack in edgewise, you shut them down brutally with a parry/counter/face-kick and go right back into keeping the pressure up. You are in control of the fight and you make the enemy react, rather than the other way around.

There are some rare attacks that you need to dodge or that are worth dodging, but dodging is a quick dash to evade, followed up by immediately attacking again.

I remember learning this lesson against the illusion summoning lady early on in the game - by constantly sticking to her and keeping her on the defensive, she was never actually able to pull off the summoning. By constantly parrying her attacks and keeping up my own attacks, I filled her stagger bar incredibly quickly and ended the fight much faster than when I was still treating the game like a Souls game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I just got in the habit of calling it a perfect parry because of all the nomenclature confusion

seems like we had a perfectly serviceable thing going with "block" being just defending without timing and "parry" being "block with timing" but every new game that comes along needs to put their own loving stank on it for some reason

looking at you revengeance, with your "parry" and "counter-parry" nonsense

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Dont give up, gpu

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Dirk the Average posted:

This. You have no stamina bar. Your attacks are relentless and unending. When the enemy finally decides to get an attack in edgewise, you shut them down brutally with a parry/counter/face-kick and go right back into keeping the pressure up. You are in control of the fight and you make the enemy react, rather than the other way around.

There are some rare attacks that you need to dodge or that are worth dodging, but dodging is a quick dash to evade, followed up by immediately attacking again.

I remember learning this lesson against the illusion summoning lady early on in the game - by constantly sticking to her and keeping her on the defensive, she was never actually able to pull off the summoning. By constantly parrying her attacks and keeping up my own attacks, I filled her stagger bar incredibly quickly and ended the fight much faster than when I was still treating the game like a Souls game.

i threw a lot shurikens at her

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

beer gas canister posted:

i threw a lot shurikens at her

I ran around her and spammed that one early game skill that she was incapable of dealing with

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Guy streaming it early finally got hit by the DMCA hammer

RIP, you were bad at the game but you had the spirit of exploration

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
There are also some scans from the official guide or something floating around so beware of spoilers all

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Everyone in the spoiler cave. See y'all in a week and a bit.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

goferchan posted:

There are also some scans from the official guide or something floating around so beware of spoilers all

That's the small game guide you get for pre-ordering I believe. Spoils bosses of the 2nd legacy dungeon

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

RatHat posted:

It's part of the early game hype cycle I legitimately like. Getting short previews of areas while simultaneously giggling at people flailing around in the game.

Including the original Dark Souls, where it was a couple of goons streaming.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Perfect Potato posted:

Yeah the sharpening is pretty insane compared to base dsr, also I think I used the wrong screenshot there since it's missing details (think you have to use geforce to get the full processing effect), here's a better one. I never noticed the freaky tentacles before. Definitely want to do the opposite of regular dsr and crank smoothness up to at least 33-50%

native 1080p v dldsr 2.25 0%

Yeah, I have my smoothness set to 33% which I think is the default value, and the image looks pretty good to my eyes.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dirk the Average posted:

Another way to think of it is that when you attack an enemy, you pre-stagger them. That is, they cancel their own behavior, and perform a block animation.

They only get an opportunity to attack when their AI rolls high enough on a RNG that they gain the ability to ignore your next attack, in which case you need to smoothly transition into your own blocks.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think I've finally decided on my class. Wretch and level arcane to 20 before anything else :getin:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Think I'll go with wretch as well. It'll be even more fun in an open world setting to just set off in a direction and use whatever I come across.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mailer posted:

It's part of the early game hype cycle I legitimately like. Getting short previews of areas while simultaneously giggling at people flailing around in the game.

Including the original Dark Souls, where it was a couple of goons streaming.

It's a truly bizarre phenomenon, yet entirely consistent, that anyone getting an early leaked copy of a game will be absolutely loving terrible at it. It's like some weird cosmic balance poo poo.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

~16 Strength
~12 Dexterity
~28 Intelligence

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

put Dark Slayer in the game

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

8 more loving days I'm dying here

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Elden.. Ring??

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Prepare for ring

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Pwnstar posted:

~16 Strength
~12 Dexterity
~28 Intelligence

40arc this time I bet

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm torn between picking prisoner so I can make him look like Griffith and the Souls tradition of making a blue skinned monster freak

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

now i'm having a flashback to close to 10 years before that one of my earliest forum memories of telling some guy that the best way to practice counterattacks in ninja gaiden was to go to this one place in this sewer where it only spawns in yellow imps that have no attacks that can break your block so you could just stand there and let them wail on you while you got the timing down. i'm old.

And 10 years before that? We had hope jobs and cash. Now we almost have elden ring

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

RatHat posted:

Guy streaming it early finally got hit by the DMCA hammer

did they have a physical copy? wondering if any of the old street date breaking spots i knew are still open and have the game. The last game I did this for is MGS V.

drat I’m as hype for Elden Ring as I was MGS V. Good work From.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

is it next week yet?

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
okay fine i’m 150 hours into souls games without ever parrying, but put 30 mins into practicing on the silver knights in anor londo and now i got it down. i hope you’re happy

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The problem with parrying is that once you start you just can’t stop even when you miss constantly

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

did they have a physical copy? wondering if any of the old street date breaking spots i knew are still open and have the game. The last game I did this for is MGS V.

drat I’m as hype for Elden Ring as I was MGS V. Good work From.

Lets hope ER isn't a monotonous piece of trash like MGSV was. Can you believe people still think kojima deserves to be held in the same universe as Miyazaki?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

giZm posted:

is it next week yet?

yes

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

tote up a bags posted:

Everyone in the spoiler cave. See y'all in a week and a bit.

Be safe, friend. Don't you dare go hollow.

a.p. dent posted:

okay fine i’m 150 hours into souls games without ever parrying, but put 30 mins into practicing on the silver knights in anor londo and now i got it down. i hope you’re happy

Never parried in Souls so when I got Bloodborne I didn't and hit a brick wall with Gascoigne. Had to go back to the brick trolls and get some practice in. It became my favorite combat mechanic in a video game.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 17, 2022

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I never liked parrying because the animation is always too long (especially those where the character does two hits) and feels to me like it takes away player agency. I bounced hard off sekiro and haven't really loved BB where those felt almost required.

Maybe I'll like the new active guard counter thing in Elden Ring, but in all likelihood I'll just become a wizard and snipe everything from afar.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I would love if there were a Mother Base equivalent you could build up and invade and draft little freaks to guard it.

e: speaking of mgsv

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

And have a helicopter flying in with Real American blaring from the loudspeakers.

E: I am talking about Elden Ring obviously

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i played through BB a couple times before ever learning to parry anyone, it made maria hard as gently caress but its very doable

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Communist Thoughts posted:

i played through BB a couple times before ever learning to parry anyone, it made maria hard as gently caress but its very doable

What the...

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Groovelord Neato posted:

Be safe, friend. Don't you dare go hollow.

I decided this thread is probably safe. But if anyone were to betray me, say, kick me off a ledge into a cave. Hohoho... I should imagine I'd find myself rather hollow

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Communist Thoughts posted:

it made maria hard as gently caress but very doable

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

tote up a bags posted:

I decided this thread is probably safe. But if anyone were to betray me, say, kick me off a ledge into a cave. Hohoho... I should imagine I'd find myself rather hollow

ROBERTUUUUU

Oh wait wrong From game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

codo27 posted:

Lets hope ER isn't a monotonous piece of trash like MGSV was. Can you believe people still think kojima deserves to be held in the same universe as Miyazaki?

MGSV was magnificent, begone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
I gotta say, those system requirements scare me and I am already thinking of impulse buying some parts so i can run it. I'm currently on a six year old i5 with a gtx 960 (I think?) and 4 gigs of RAM. I might just try to play it anyway....