Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Near Dark was on criterion channel a couple years ago. Wonder what the deal is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

Latter day jenny posts like 1 non patreon video every 6 months or more. Even I, someone who largely likes her videos, find there's not much to talk about. Lindsay gone, jenny faded, folding ideas usually committed to tediously explaining internet concepts to boomers. We've no recourse left but ralph and, sigh, the auralnauts

Jenny might not be a good fit for this thread.

However, there is a different lovely youtuber who's totally original gimmick is being "drunk" while making GBS threads on star wars who might have some moron fans.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If you haven't punched out several dudes in single swings or fist fought a cop your YouTube channel doesn't belong itt

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

kalel posted:

I have a nit to pick with that movie

what the gently caress is this movie even supposed to be about? because the only thing I can think of when people pontificate about how it's a powerful statement on gender identity or sexuality or parenthood or industrialism is "she killed half a dozen people in cold blood and the movie reveled in it and then promptly forgot and hoped the audience would too"

It's the shitlib manifesto made flesh: look guys, we need to make sure that people of every race, gender, orientation, and creed get to gently caress over the poor and blow up foreigners.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The content creator community/fandom community feels like it's gotten far more aggressive in the last 10 years, though, and it seems to be an endless cycle of drama, hypocrisy, and sudden crashes, turns, and take downs in popularity when things snowball as easily as they can.

Onto the topic of the latest video on Near Dark, though...

Their description of Near Dark made me think of another vampire movie of about the same era:

Darkness (Video states NSFW content, so be warned)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTmaZHvFByA

Not really a good/great film, but the 'crap life vampires running silently rampant through America' vibe of the movie always stuck with me and every so often I feel like I'd like to watch it again. (Best advice, though: Adjust your TV to run it in B&W. A 'remaster' I watched about 14 years ago was just a garish with how bright and oversaturated it looked that made it look cheap. B&W hid a lot of that.) But just from the trailer you can tell they're going more for that 'gore' look than to tell a story.

Like Near Dark, Darkness' disc went out of print for a while and I think its into high dollar price ranges according to Amazon/eBay.

I'm also not sure if this has been mentioned about Near Dark yet or not:
-For a while the actress who played the lead was apparently missing and no one could find her. This would have been I supposed sometime in the 2000s when they were prepping to do the DVD/BD releases. I think someone claimed in the years since the last US issue of the disc that she reappeared and was doing some convention circuit stuff, though. I'm not sure if this might have had any influence on the movie being out of circulation, though, unless they were hoping to do ANOTHER reissue someday with more of the cast, but that seems like a stretch.

-The kid vampire from the movie apparently wrote a book/made a movie in the 90s called The Mao Game described as, "15-year-old child actor's odyssey through the temptations of Hollywood and the emotional minefield of his family's life." Seems from further description to be a bit bleak.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

kalel posted:

what the gently caress is this movie even supposed to be about? because the only thing I can think of when people pontificate about how it's a powerful statement on gender identity or sexuality or parenthood or industrialism is "she killed half a dozen people in cold blood and the movie reveled in it and then promptly forgot and hoped the audience would too"

It's a cautionary tale.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

kalel posted:

she redeemed herself by twerking ontop of that warehouse shipping container in boy form while all the volunteer firemen watched, is what you were supposed to take from it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I'm sure she's a nice person, but I'm not the target audience for a girl who dresses like a small child and sits in a bedroom full of stuffed animals and talks about movies for tiny, tiny kids while filming herself from above to make herself look very small.

Interesting that you'd let us know you're a fan, though.

legit in awe of how yikes this post is lmao

have a good one dude

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Kingo Ligma posted:

It's the shitlib manifesto made flesh: look guys, we need to make sure that people of every race, gender, orientation, and creed get to gently caress over the poor and blow up foreigners.

...that's your take on Titane? :psyduck:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

I'm sure she's a nice person, but I'm not the target audience for a girl who dresses like a small child and sits in a bedroom full of stuffed animals and talks about movies for tiny, tiny kids while filming herself from above to make herself look very small.

This is genuinely so loving weird.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I know exactly what AGH means but to maintain dominance and play both sides I will also denounce that post

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im ready for Anime Rohirrim. Im am prepared mind and body and soul for Eorl the UwU.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dabir posted:

I don't get all the hate for Jenny. She's completely inoffensive.

I don't get why people are posting her in the RLM thread either though so

Only offensive thing about Jenny is her editing style. I've never actually managed to watch her videos long enough to find out if the content is good.

My middle-aged brain can't handle the multiple cuts for every sentence style that young people enjoy.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

kalel posted:

People are hosed up and damaged people drift to each other in hosed up ways
They also dance so you probably should just vibe with it, its a vibe movie
Asking arthouse horror to moralize is the wrong approach

Chinese version of Titane would replace last scene with a brief explanation that police sorted it out dont worry

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 17, 2022

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I wouldn't mess with Jenny, her sister is way too powerful

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sarah Zed.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Spek posted:

You could go with Sarah Z, the Canadian Jenny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNATsAa9sa0

thanks, but it was a rhetorical question

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

lobsterminator posted:

My middle-aged brain can't handle the multiple cuts for every sentence style that young people enjoy.
i dont do any cuts, perhaps you will love me one day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKNVwROjf70

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
No

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm ready to "jakk in"

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

kalel

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

X JAKK posted:

The average entertainment YouTube video has 9,816 views, so you've only got 9,786 to go!

Unfortunately, when I clicked on it again to double-check my math, you'd gone from 30 views to 16 views, so you don't seem to be moving in the right direction.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

X JAKK posted:

gently caress you for posting this and for buying an SA ad for it.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PostNouveau posted:

The average entertainment YouTube video has 9,816 views, so you've only got 9,786 to go!

Unfortunately, when I clicked on it again to double-check my math, you'd gone from 30 views to 16 views, so you don't seem to be moving in the right direction.

For the first time ever, the fool-proof plan of "buying banner ads on the Something Awful forums" has failed to rocket-ship a channel to success.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.johndaro.com/blog/2021/9/17/kimi-virtually-a-virtual-production

Really cool article here about the post production on Kimi, the new Stephen Soderbergh film. I didn’t even realise they used LED screens for the outside the window stuff until I saw this, that’s how good and convincing it looked.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Coxswain Balls posted:

A poo poo webcomic made by the dude who did Pupkin. As bad as the movie may turn out, it's still hilarious how he ended up being so much more successful than Lowtax.

I ALWAYS FORGET IT WAS THE PUPKIN GUY

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

https://www.johndaro.com/blog/2021/9/17/kimi-virtually-a-virtual-production

Really cool article here about the post production on Kimi, the new Stephen Soderbergh film. I didn’t even realise they used LED screens for the outside the window stuff until I saw this, that’s how good and convincing it looked.

It's all so jargon heavy I dunno what they're talking about but that's cool about the LED screens. I definitely didn't have a clue.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

HELL YEAH there's a new Kevin James movie out! and Rob Schneider's in it? No way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xppbyXSxPlo

WAY!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

X JAKK posted:

HELL YEAH there's a new Kevin James movie out! and Rob Schneider's in it? No way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xppbyXSxPlo

WAY!

The saddest bit of local press I saw promoting this turd was a story trying to claim that this was a huge transformation for Kevin James and that he's totally indistinguishable from Sean Payton when it's just Kevin James wearing a visor.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Kevin getting that joe rogan-face. Gotta stay on top of that mma body!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sorry hodor if you want to be a true anime fan you need to embrace grown women who talk like babies and act as though they have brain damage
https://twitter.com/g0m/status/1339282322999406593?s=20&t=CoWXqwZxqXGxemQm3u0ltg

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Last year before Christmas FYAD started a thread about how all v-tubers are pedofile enablers and the V-tuber thread in ADTRW got really bent out of shape, but eventually some of the QCS petitioned the mods and had admins look into it, and within 12 hours the V-tuber thread had been closed, reopened, locked, closed forever, and then mod of the anime forum got banned for posting pedofile poo poo. One of the funnier microsagas of FYAD for sure, IMO.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

sorry hodor if you want to be a true anime fan you need to embrace grown women who talk like babies and act as though they have brain damage
https://twitter.com/g0m/status/1339282322999406593?s=20&t=CoWXqwZxqXGxemQm3u0ltg

lmao

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that meme where it's like "if i had a nickel for each time the mods and a bunch of pedophiles got purged from adtrw i'd have two nickels which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Bust Rodd posted:

Last year before Christmas FYAD started a thread about how all v-tubers are pedofile enablers and the V-tuber thread in ADTRW got really bent out of shape, but eventually some of the QCS petitioned the mods and had admins look into it, and within 12 hours the V-tuber thread had been closed, reopened, locked, closed forever, and then mod of the anime forum got banned for posting pedofile poo poo. One of the funnier microsagas of FYAD for sure, IMO.

Thread's back, in pog form.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

DebonaireD posted:

Kevin getting that joe rogan-face. Gotta stay on top of that mma body!

You think he's looking rough, that's his buddy from King of Queens in the shades and moustache behind him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
drat i thought that dude looked familiar lmao

hot take: king of queens isn't a bad background show. fat guys are funny (because of the fat)