Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Thomamelas posted:

Waldenbooks was my first retail job. By retail standards it wasn't bad. Sunday nights I would get the 6pm to 12 am shelving shift. There is something very relaxing about taking a cart of books and just putting them in alphabetical order. Two other coworkers did that shift and we had full control of the sound system. So we'd each put in a few CDs and hit random. You'd get this mix of 90's metal, showtunes and bits from comedy albums. Which shouldn't work but it kind of did.

And I got to take part in this:

That was a pretty good day. Hung out with a bunch of TSR people, gave away a gently caress ton of swag, didn't have to go near a register, and got an attaboy from my manager for selling 10000% of the RPG sections sales total for the year in one day.

Back then you could ask him if you'd get a bonus without getting reprimanded for a bad attitude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I worked at a CompUSA in high school, and the best part was getting printer cables at cost because back then no printers came with their own cable. And the loving things cost like $50 retail, but under $1 at store cost.

I also had to stock the shelves when Windows 2000 was being released and we had to put them in huge plastic security cases because they were also crazy expensive, like $300, and software was incredibly easy to steal. We had a badass ex-Polish military manager who would absolutely ignore the corporate mandate to not follow or confront shoplifters outside the store and he once tackled a guy who was making his way out with an armload of software.

One of the best parties of my life would have passed me right on by if I hadn’t worked at that stupid place.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Of course, we didn't loose the Epoch Times in the 90s like we should have..

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
We didn't get a Steve and Barry in our mall until like 2003 but I loved that store.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, turns out he was pretending the entire time.

:aaa:

Hey, remember Sonique? No, not the MP3 player, this lady:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zns8Y8phigk

Man, what a fantastic song.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Trabant posted:

Oh dang, I forgot about this song. I listened to this so much back then.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Back then you could ask him if you'd get a bonus without getting reprimanded for a bad attitude

She, but yeah. She was a pretty good boss, and a great one for retail. No random fuckery with the schedule. When she needed coverage, she didn't ask someone to close who was opening. She might not have given me the raise if I asked but she would have just said no. And not tried to imply I was an rear end in a top hat for wanting it. Also it was the queerest place I ever worked. Everyone there was either LGBT+ or an ally.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.avclub.com/beavis-and-butt-head-do-the-universe-new-movie-announce-1848544271

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Trabant posted:

Heh, I lost my V-card to that song.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's like Mike Judge and John K are in an eternal competition to see who can be more irrelevant with their 90s animated refuse.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Not that it matters, but this will make, what, a third Beavis and Butthead continuity?

Original series + movie.
Reboot series circa 2011
New series where they are old (well, like middle-aged, the age they would be if they aged in real time since their debut), set in modern times. Sort of a continuation of the first series.
This series, which is still I guess the continuity from the first one, but "alternate" because of a black hole, or something.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Rocko's Modern Life already did it.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Happy Landfill posted:

Two strawberry and...orange, I think the second one was? They were real good 10/10

I didn't know that! It's a drat fine looking logo

I actually had no idea Chupa Chups were Latin American until I looked it up just now

I think they are Spanish Spanish not Latin American Spanish.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mind the walrus posted:

It's like Mike Judge and John K are in an eternal competition to see who can be more irrelevant with their 90s animated refuse.

yeah but Judge still has all the goodwill from Silicon Valley, Idiocracy, his recent animated reboots, etc. to work off of

the most relevant thing John K’s done since some animated backgrounds/etc for a Miley Cyrus tour during her first shock phase is getting MeToo’d

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Trabant posted:

don't remember which as-seen-on-tv comp this song was on, but i can say in spite of never hearing it all the way through i definitely know the hook that's going to be in my head all day now

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

:3: SCALE ITCH :3:

Thomamelas posted:

Waldenbooks was my first retail job. By retail standards it wasn't bad. Sunday nights I would get the 6pm to 12 am shelving shift. There is something very relaxing about taking a cart of books and just putting them in alphabetical order. Two other coworkers did that shift and we had full control of the sound system. So we'd each put in a few CDs and hit random. You'd get this mix of 90's metal, showtunes and bits from comedy albums. Which shouldn't work but it kind of did.

And I got to take part in this:

That was a pretty good day. Hung out with a bunch of TSR people, gave away a gently caress ton of swag, didn't have to go near a register, and got an attaboy from my manager for selling 10000% of the RPG sections sales total for the year in one day.

I loved working at Walden. Genuinely probably the happiest I ever was in retail. My managers all the way up to district were fair people and every single coworker was weird but in a sweet and harmless way. The manager who hired me remembered me from my dad bringing me to the store as a kid and that was really pretty sweet.
I was crushed when the business went under. That last year of operation was just... Sad.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

You can get laid and pay in 8 weeks?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Milo and POTUS posted:

You can get laid and pay in 8 weeks?

It’s called lay-away :dadjoke:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Look at these lamestains swingin' on the flippity-flop wearing wack slacks like some kind of tom-tom club.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

You’re just jealous because you’re bound and hagged while they get to be big bags of bloatation. Harsh realm, cob nobbler

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I was catching up on the schadenfreude thread and I thought this'd fit this thread:

https://imgur.com/2863QiH.mp4

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How the hell did Encino Man become a meme.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Mu Zeta posted:

How the hell did Encino Man become a meme.

How did Jeremiah Johnson? :iiam:

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
"a dream of a superstore so grand, it would shake the foundation of entertainment marketing"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqteqcR4uKg

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Holy poo poo. Did his music suck then or did that come later?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Animal-Mother posted:

Holy poo poo. Did his music suck then or did that come later?

It was horrible rap music. So it sucked, but in a different way.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dUuwbFH0u4

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HGW-6V7vHI

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

dialhforhero posted:

It’s called lay-away :dadjoke:

Layaway feels like a mad 90s things; do stores even do layaway anymore?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Neito posted:

Not many or it’s not often advertised like it was back in the day. Walmart did it up until a year or two ago. I know Toys R Us was doing it until they went out of business.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Now they just get you to sign up for a credit card.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkWYP95WbbY

I'm watching the first episode and it's so hard to get through, I'm so embarrassed for everyone involved in this.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

BaronVonVaderham posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkWYP95WbbY

I'm watching the first episode and it's so hard to get through, I'm so embarrassed for everyone involved in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfG0-iW5o0Y

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Neito posted:

TJ Maxx in my town still does it

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

fartknocker posted:

Not many or it’s not often advertised like it was back in the day. Walmart did it up until a year or two ago. I know Toys R Us was doing it until they went out of business.

Theres a smallish chain of outdoors stores around me that I'm pretty sure does it, or did until recently, but it was more like "make down payment now, pay the remainder within 90 days", or 60 days or whatever. So basically two payments as opposed to IIRC, weekly or monthly payments of like 10% or some poo poo back in the day.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Most department stores still do, especially if they sell larger appliances. There's not even a credit check most places, since you don't get the item till you pay it off. It's basically just saying, ill give you 20%-40% what you're asking right now and you'll honor that price in a month or two when I return with the rest.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

FilthyImp posted:

Now they just get you to sign up for a credit card.

I mean, I guess in retrospect this is the real answer. Cheap revolving credit accounts became popular starting in the 80s, right around the time you see lay-a-way start declining.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Alternate universe Macaulay Culkin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Alternate universe Macaulay Culkin.

Thank god this univere's Culk ended up pretty cool