Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

gileadexile posted:

Ok. I was just asking if I could change plugs and idle in my shed because it's in the buttcrack of winter, there is salt and cinders on the ground and didn't want to ride in 20 degree farenheit weather if it wasn't necessary. I wasn't trying to be a nuisance, I just thought asking advice in the questions thread was ok. I'll know better next time.

Questions Thread: We Tolerate Slavvy's Occasional Abrasiveness In Exchange For Free Expert Advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

gileadexile posted:

Ok. I was just asking if I could change plugs and idle in my shed

He gave you a very detailed description of how to do exactly this, without saying, "yes, do exactly this."

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Well, that's why I generally lurk. I'm the absolute last person in the world to ever speak up when I feel insulted, but I was in a good mood after getting some stuff done and I guess part of the post just rubbed me wrong. I appreciate any feedback I get, from any source, I just hate feeling like I'm a kid again and either being disregarded for asking something I thought was reasonable or just trying to learn something. My dad is still bad for that type of poo poo to this day and I guess that colored my response a bit. For that I'm sorry. That's why I tend to keep my mouth shut when I feel that way or think someone was insulting me. I'm never sure that was the intention. And more often than not, I wind up apologizing even when I thought I was the aggrieved party.

Hence, lurking, mostly, for ten drat years.

Again, I apologize that I got lovely. It felt like a slap in the mouth after feeling good about being outside in the sun and doing something after being cooped up inside for weeks on end.

I'm fully aware that we're getting what's basically free professional diagnosis and I shouldn't have lost sight of that, even for a second.

The other stuff going on in my life and the fact I've been using my motorcycle as a hobby and a way to keep my mind off things shouldn't color my perception on words on the internet.

gileadexile fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 12, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Who gives a poo poo, :justpost:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

gileadexile posted:

Well, that's why I generally lurk. I'm the absolute last person in the world to ever speak up when I feel insulted, but I was in a good mood after getting some stuff done and I guess part of the post just rubbed me wrong. I appreciate any feedback I get, from any source, I just hate feeling like I'm a kid again and either being disregarded for asking something I thought was reasonable or just trying to learn something. My dad is still bad for that type of poo poo to this day and I guess that colored my response a bit. For that I'm sorry. That's why I tend to keep my mouth shut when I feel that way or think someone was insulting me. I'm never sure that was the intention. And more often than not, I wind up apologizing even when I thought I was the aggrieved party.

Again, I apologize that I got lovely. It felt like a slap in the mouth after feeling good about being outside in the sun and doing something after being cooped up inside for weeks on end.

I'm fully aware that we're getting what's basically free professional diagnosis and I shouldn't have lost sight of that, even for a second.

The other stuff going on in my life and the fact I've been using my motorcycle as a hobby and a way to keep my mind off things shouldn't color my perception on words on the internet.

You're good my man. Slaavy's love is tough and he has the bedside manner of a rusty chainsaw but I sense ultimately what he is trying to do is stop his posting pals from digging their own goon well. My background is in computer touching and similarly I am often cranky with my friends when they suggest doing something computer related that will ultimately end in misery and me helping them dig out. The last thing you should do is let something someone said on the internet take your escape away from you. Things suck rear end out there right now in a myriad of ways, you're not alone in thinking that even if it feels like it.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

I think you'll find the fault can be traced to the logo on the tank :v:

Well it's certainly either there or between the seat and handlebars.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Strife posted:

Well it's certainly either there or between the seat and handlebars.

PEBSAH

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don’t remember if I asked this before but I went through my bin of engine parts and I remembered my piston is really carbon fouled. Is cleaning this just a matter of taking a toothbrush and some kerosene to it? How abrasive can I get? Can I just throw it into a tupperware container upside down with a small pool of kerosene and leave it overnight? I’d hope that would soften a bunch of the crud.

Or I mean, whatever else would work. I’m saying kerosene because that’s been my go-to for a bunch of things since someone mentioned it to me last year.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have found that pine-sol is the best stuff to use for carbon and varnish. Mix it with about twice as much water and soak the part for a few hours, then scrub with a toothbrush or the like. As a bonus, it makes the parts smell nice.

I would not use anything abrasive.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kero is my favorite substance of violence that's safe to use on engine internals.

Cleaning the carbon out of the ring lands is a very worthwhile activity and you should definitely do it if you plan on swapping in new rings. Cleaning the crown is much more easily accomplished by putting the bike together and giving it an Italian tune up, it makes no difference and I wouldn't bother.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

gileadexile posted:

Have you considered therapy?

Serious question.

It seems like you might benefit from it (we pretty much all would, we all have some poo poo from our childhood which triggers us in some way), given your response to Slavvy’s post and what you’ve described here.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m probably not going to change the rings based on last discussion we had but I did just put it through 30 min ultrasound with pinesol and it’s basically 99% shiny so I’m calling that a win and moving on after I just give it a bit of a toothbrushing to get rid of the last loose gunk... Thanks gang :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I went to buy pinesol once but it was $40 for a 800ml bottle so I got four bottles of kerosene instead. It seems like magical stuff but gently caress paying synthetic engine oil prices for a cleaner.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It’s not that expensive here but it gives me a good excuse to clean the laundry room floor after I get dirty soot water all over it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Reminder that pinesol is dangerous for your cats and dogs. If you clean your floors inside with it, make sure at a minimum to go over it with a wet water mop after.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Have you considered therapy?

Serious question.

It seems like you might benefit from it (we pretty much all would, we all have some poo poo from our childhood which triggers us in some way), given your response to Slavvy’s post and what you’ve described here.

Not to get E/N in the bike thread, but I've lost my mom and grandmother in the past few months. I'm not going to sit here and blame my feelings for everything, but I've also not been what I would call myself since then either. It's just another few little bricks in my wall, as they would say.

Would it be ok if I posted some bike questions instead? :blush:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

I went to buy pinesol once but it was $40 for a 800ml bottle so I got four bottles of kerosene instead. It seems like magical stuff but gently caress paying synthetic engine oil prices for a cleaner.

it's like 5 dollars for 2 litres here. they must not make it in the upside down parts of the world.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Not a question but a statement, Slavvy is a good lad with (wrong) opinions and that's ok.
Being around these parts for a few years now I really think Slavvy adds like at least 20% value to CA, and all his "abrasiveness" is usually just him coming off different than he intends through text.

IDK what my point is, I just wanted to express my appreciation for Slavvy hanging out with us.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking as someone who sometimes has a hard time differentiating blunt and terse feedback from someone being an internet rear end in a top hat, I fully agree and tbh I’ve benefitted a lot from not having pulled up stakes and peaced out when a conversation has rubbed me the wrong way.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

PineSol is Dettol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

echomadman posted:

PineSol is Dettol

Holy poo poo really?? :psyboom:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

gileadexile posted:

Not to get E/N in the bike thread, but I've lost my mom and grandmother in the past few months. I'm not going to sit here and blame my feelings for everything, but I've also not been what I would call myself since then either. It's just another few little bricks in my wall, as they would say.

That sucks, sorry to hear it. :(

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

gileadexile posted:

Would it be ok if I posted some bike questions instead? :blush:

I'm so sorry.

I don't know your budget but if you're considering keeping the bike long term have you looked into a parts bike or second set of carbs? Title-less 80's Hondas often go for a few hundred bucks. You could take your time and work on the second set of carbs while keeping your bike running in its current rough condition. I think people tend to make more mistakes when they are trying to quickly get their lone bike back on the road, hence the old "one to wrench one to ride" adage.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Storage for a second bike would be problematic at the moment. The carbs worry me in an esoteric sort of way, like ye olde maps that state "Here Be Dragons" at the very edge of unexplored seas.

I don't know if any PO's have sprayed starter fluid or carb cleaner down the intake and damaged the diaphragms. I don't know if somebody rejetted after cutting off the stock mufflers, which on these bikes is apparently not required unless you also get rid of the collector.

So many unanswered questions.

I've decided a few things. Just going to do bits that I'm comfortable with. That mainly includes following along with my shop manual and diagnosing the issues I see. And testing, testing and more multimeter testing.

I have a new set of 4 spark plugs ordered, already have a new air filter in hand. Going to use my multimeter to test the coils and I think I can test my wires that way too. Battery is a cheapish "Fill the cells on your own, peasant" unit I bought last year, but it seems the tender did its job over the coldest parts of the winter so far, as it cranked over ok the other day while I was fiddling.

The things that concern me most are the wiring and a few of the black boxes of magic. I want to use the correct terms here.

Spark units. And pulse generators. Spark units are two little boxes that fit under the seat. Pulse generators are two separate units that reside under the clutch side cover, illustrated here.

Also pictured are the spark units.

Now, peep this poo poo..

[url]Spark https://imgur.com/a/jDf2CBA[/url]

Now, I know the plug is hosed. That's why I'm not making any assumptions yet. I used the best looking one I had out of the pile I have from the big box of extras that came with it and what came out of the bike, both after I did my first post purchase tune up in 2020 and not only were they mismatched by brands, they were gapped by a hamfist.

None of the parts stores have anything in stock that isn't also a resistor type plug, which isn't what this calls for, so that's why I'm waiting on proper NGKs to be shipped via Amazon.

Added an extra onto my order, so I'll always have a clean plug on hand to do testing with or if I need it. Whatever, it's a few bucks.

That spark is repeated over every single cylinder I tested. Means nothing since it's a compromised plug. But, if a new, properly gapped plug still shows a weak spark, that does seem to indicate a wider issue.

I replaced the right side coil last year, and it ran really well that day. That could be down to me making sure all the connections were tight. Hell, it could be butt dyno, but I rode a route I've taken at least two dozen times before, and it rode like a bike possessed. Sounded good and it surprised me and I had to relearn how to ride it on the hilly route.

It was that different of a bike.

I feel..close. The carbs may well indeed be off somehow, but the issue doesn't feel mechanical, if that makes any sense. It's intermittent. And the tach going nutso sometimes, that seems to indicate an electrical issue too. I think.

I can't vouch too much for my first season of riding. I was learning more than just the machine, I was learning how to ride on the road, so I can't look back on any issues I had then because I was concentrating so much on everything else. I don't think I ever cracked it wide open for more than a few seconds at a time, but it never struck me as what I would call a "Big Bike".

I know a 750 isn't huge for a cruiser, but for somone coming over from single cylinder off road stuff, I was always a bit underwhelmed.

This is turning into an effortpost, I just want to try and leave nothing out.

I guess I'm either searching for a validation that I'm right for wanting to disregard the carbs right now or that I'm not just grasping at straws chasing down electrical issues because that's something I'm more familiar with. Does that make any sense?

I took alot more photos and videos, but all the videos show the same weak spark from all cylinders with that same janky plug.

Photos are boring stuff, like suspected leaks in the cooling hoses and air intake stuff before and after I removed pieces that I took to make sure I could put everything back the way it was after I was done. If any of that stuff would help or if anybody is interested in what anything looks like I can make another post with them.

gileadexile fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 14, 2022

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

gileadexile posted:

Storage for a second bike would be problematic at the moment. The carbs worry me in an esoteric sort of way, like ye olde maps that state "Here Be Dragons" at the very edge of unexplored seas.

I don't know if any PO's have sprayed starter fluid or carb cleaner down the intake and damaged the diaphragms. I don't know if somebody rejetted after cutting off the stock mufflers, which on these bikes is apparently not required unless you also get rid of the collector.

So many unanswered questions.

"Here be dragons" is apt, but the bigger nastier dragons will always be electrical. I wish this bike was a single cylinder. This is like starting a game on the highest difficulty setting.

Like Slaavy said above troubleshooting coils and spark, other than just the eyeball test, requires some special testing equipment. A $15 multimeter is good for testing DC current, continuity, and for sticking into AC outlets in your house to make sure you turned off the right circuit. They don't have the polling speed or precision to give any good information on the coils themselves. There are continuity tests in the manual for the coils and if they fail those tests they should be replaced. Chasing that rabbit any further is going to lead to deep, deep holes. I would say if the problem is electrical you probably don't want to have anything to do with it. We're talking weekends full of wiggling wires and checking voltages and grounds here.

Don't make any assumptions on anything until a few boxes have been checked. In this case, nobody has even seen the inside of the carbs. Could be torn diaphragms, wrong jetting, air leaks, pilot screws all akimbo, literally anything. Any kind of PO modifications to the carbs, intake, or exhaust without the proper tuning turns these things into long term nightmares. Check the easy tune up type things that can be done without ripping into it. Compression test. Change the plugs. Airbox/filter clean and no holes? Air leaks? 35 year old carb boots can cause all kinds of issues.

Nobody is going to tell you that you can't work on your own bike, but expectations need to be tempered. The most likely end result here if you dig in is the bike doesn't ever get put back together or run again. Used markets are filled with 80's bikes that people attempted to fix. I guess the question is do you want a running bike or do you want a learning experience, because this is unlikely to end in both.

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
So the battery on my bike (‘18 Ninja 650) is on its way out. Given that it’s my only way back and forth to work at the moment I want to go ahead and order a replacement before it completely shuts the bed. I looked on RevZilla and all I really saw in stock was a few AGM for around 90-100 and a lithium ion at like 175.

Is there anything that’s going to be much cheaper? And what’s a good brand? All things being equal I’d like a lithium battery but I’m not interested in paying a crazy premium for it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Based on my experiences with lithium about ten years ago, I'd take an expensive AGM over a cheap lithium battery. Bad welds/soldering and overall shoddy workmanship made for a very unreliable experience back then. Here's hoping things have improved because the weight and power density were magical.
Antigravity in particular was just getting started then in power sports. They had bad attitudes about warranty replacements and were much more expensive then. I hope they got the bugs sorted out because when it worked it worked great.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 17, 2022

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

katka posted:

So the battery on my bike (‘18 Ninja 650) is on its way out. Given that it’s my only way back and forth to work at the moment I want to go ahead and order a replacement before it completely shuts the bed. I looked on RevZilla and all I really saw in stock was a few AGM for around 90-100 and a lithium ion at like 175.

Is there anything that’s going to be much cheaper? And what’s a good brand? All things being equal I’d like a lithium battery but I’m not interested in paying a crazy premium for it.

nothing wrong with an AGM, just gotta ride it enough or get a tender. only benefit a lithium battery really has is weight and that it won’t go flat over months without use. I only replaced my yuasa with an antigravity because I got it for the same price as a yuasa on a black friday sale

OmniumOccidental
Feb 27, 2021

katka posted:

You can look on amazon or search the sizing online and get a cheap AGM.

But those drelikely to last around a year and you're back in the same boat.

I recommend going to Oreilly's or Autozone and picking one up for around the same price. Both have warranties on the batteries and will give you a new one if they poo poo the bed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There is no such thing as cheap but good batteries. $100 for a battery is crazy cheap for something big enough for a ninja 650.

You can learn about CCA and battery standards and try to get specs and compare. Or you can just skip forward and get an AGM yuasa, which is what you inevitably end up with at the end of that process.

Lithium is a waste of time and will almost certainly cost you more in the long run.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I think lithium makes sense in certain situations where weight or space (dirt bikes) might be an issue but going with yuasa is almost always the best option.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nobody ever got fired for buying yuasa

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Literally same bike here, '18 Ninja 650 and I'm about to pull the trigger on a YTZ10S Yuasa. I figure if I have to replace it in 3 years it's still fine. Prices all over the place is the only catch so I just need to take fifteen minutes after work to hunt for the cheapest genuine Yuasa YTZ10S in Canada, within reason and not spending like weeks bargain hunting.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Verman posted:

I think lithium makes sense in certain situations where weight or space (dirt bikes) might be an issue but going with yuasa is almost always the best option.

slight derail on my experiences with them: I was using them for freestyle standup jetskis, where weight savings are very important and using an AG LiFePo easily shaved off 10lbs for just a few hundred bucks. If that sounds ridiculous, it is. But stock Yamaha Superjets (the old 2Ts) used to weigh in at ~320 lbs or so. A carbon hull that's worth anything will reduce hull weight from 120 lbs down to maybe 60 lbs, all for only $7-10k!
With the best/lightest aftermarket equipment you could get the entire ski down to ~210-220 lbs.
So a 10 lb savings in the battery is fantastic.
But when you're riding in big surf and/or cold water, having an unreliable battery in an e-start only engine is a really bad loving idea.
And a 1000cc-1200cc twin engine with a direct drive produces a lot of heavy vibration. Add to that endless backflips and other heavy impacts on the hull and those batteries would break like nobody's business.
Probably understandable that Antigravity got tired of warrantying those.
I've opened up a couple of them and they looked like some dude with a soldering iron went to town with standard 123 cells and siliconed a fancy looking plastic case together.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 17, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They look like that because that's exactly what happened. Lipo batteries made 'properly' are not profitable to produce afaict.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Every bike should have a kick start and a battery eliminator *showers u with angle grinder sparks*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dog Case posted:

Every bike should have a kick start *showers u with angle grinder sparks*

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dog Case posted:

Every bike should have a kick start *showers u with crankcase parts*

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

new thread title please