Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

does anyone know how to get round substacks paywall?

This Rayner poo poo has made me finally cancel my labour party membership. If she is talking like that then it is long past game over.

edit: 67 is 2 away from 69, which is nice

notaspy fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I wouldn’t worry about this too much tbh. I tested positive for COVID on the 27th of December and was able to end self isolation on the 5th of January.

As of writing this post my sense of smell still hasn’t returned.
I meant I was worrying about fudge guy, who just put all his resources into running a fudge kitchen, not having his sense of taste return.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

Oh I'm sure there is lots if reasons why it wouldn't work in real life.
(The writer of the comics, Larry Hamma, was a Vietnam Vet who had a lot of meticulous work in researching a lot of accuracies for military hardware. But he also had stories where Cobra had Robots, mind control machines and tricking GI Joe into creating a new island by dropping a load of bombs on a faultline.)

That being said for something from the 80's/90's as a kid it seemed plausible enough that you could build on it to create some type of non-lethal pacification protocol for a suicide bomber.

As for the foam, obviously it doesn't exist. But periodically I have to get that expanding foam that you use to fill in holes in walls/near pipes to stop mice from getting in.
And let me tell you, that stuff hardens really quickly. And it's also super sticky, so much so if you get any on your clothes or hands, it's a right bastard to get off if you don't act quickly.

The Americans did actually play with the idea of using sticky foam, based on insulation foam but with more propellant for both increased range and increased expansion, for less-lethal riot control in the 80s (which was of course the peak period for extremely (and justifiably) angry demonstrations outside US embassies), which is probably where he got the idea from.

Now they abandoned the idea for a couple of reasons (not least that there's very obvious suffocation issues) but one of the main reasons was while they were demonstrating it for the news everybody noticed the special, highly-secret solution they were using to remove the foam from the soldiers being used as guinea pigs was actually just Johnson's Baby Oil with the labels torn off the bottle, and every revolutionary in the world took a trip to their local equivalent of Mothercare.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Thanks for the advice, all. Looks like I’ll be back in action this weekend then.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Has your sense of taste / smell returned? Was worrying about this the other day, seems sort of important.

Hard to say. The other day I could smell something constantly, which I eventually realised was the inside of my own nose (given you mentally block it out, having lost my sense of smell I stopped doing this so that was a weird 24 hours). My sense of taste is.. muted, but certainly better than it was at the weekend.

I’ve obviously not been cooking this week (due to both feeling too rotten and the health risk factor), so we’ll have to see how things shake out next week.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Are people still getting the loss of taste/smell? I was under the impression that's way less common with omicron, and I never noticed it (probably because I have no taste at the best of times lol). I wonder if some of the other variants are still kicking about in much smaller numbers?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

ThomasPaine posted:

Are people still getting the loss of taste/smell? I was under the impression that's way less common with omicron, and I never noticed it (probably because I have no taste at the best of times lol). I wonder if some of the other variants are still kicking about in much smaller numbers?

It's very much still a thing.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

It's less common than it was but it's not gone anywhere

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Time for a Goon to step up and and offer to be Camrath's official fudge taster for the next couple of weeks.

Re various covid rules - don't forget Wales is different to England as I expect Scotland & NI are. Can't be arsed digging out the welsh rules but no covid pass required after Friday 18th is one I remember. Expect to remove other rules after 28th Feb but not definite yet. Masks still mandatory in shops and health centres.

I wish the Great British Press would make it clear when Al Johnson is making rules for England and when for the Uk.
Eg this £150 council tax milarkey - while it does now apply to Wales following recent decision by the senedd, when it was all over the press at first it was just for England.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

My back fence/gate already needed a barricade yesterday, and that storm didn't even go through where I live, so it's looking grim for it surviving tomorrow.

Looking forward to having an argument with my neighbour when his loose roof tiles he's done nothing about for over a year fall on my roof and cause damage.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 17, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mega Comrade posted:

My back fence/gate already needed a barricade yesterday, and that storm didn't even go through where I live.

Looking forward to having an argument with my neighbour when his loose roof tiles he's done nothing about for over a year fall on my roof and cause damage.

Take lots of photos before it happens so you've proof it wasn't already damaged.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Our back gate is barely clinging to life, a good storm might finally finish it off.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

COMRADES, THE RED WIND IS UPON US

oh it's just destroying poo poo and making people miserable?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Our roof makes worrying pinging sounds whenever the wind picks up beyond a wet fart so am hoping if the roof gets ripped off the insurance will sort us out with a proper one

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope the wall parakeets are safe from the storm.

https://twitter.com/NiamhMaryCurran/status/1493503591549739012

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

ThomasPaine posted:

I definitely did. I didn't lose my sense of taste completely but there are certain things I can't taste currently, it's super weird. I didn't realise I'd had any loss the first few days because things tasted fine, then it turned out it was just those things that tasted fine and other stuff didn't

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Insurance companies must be making GBS threads themselves, I’ve been getting texts and emails advising me on how to prepare for the storm.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lady Gaza posted:

Insurance companies must be making GBS threads themselves, I’ve been getting texts and emails advising me on how to prepare for the storm.

"Remember, this was an act of god, so good luck!"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
It's proper windy down here in civilisation and we weren't even covered by the yellow warning for the last storm or the red one for the next, gently caress knows what it's like where the warnings are in force.

Mind you we also have all the tall buildings acting like the Death Star and focusing winds in weird places - I was walking across this bridge earlier and out of nowhere suddenly got hit by 30-40mph gusts from what felt like every direction, making the bridge bounce around so much I actually undid my jacket and started clocking where the nearest ladders were just in case I suddenly found myself in the drink.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
It's very sedate here in the west country so far

....too sedate...

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's proper windy down here in civilisation and we weren't even covered by the yellow warning for the last storm or the red one for the next, gently caress knows what it's like where the warnings are in force.

Mind you we also have all the tall buildings acting like the Death Star and focusing winds in weird places - I was walking across this bridge earlier and out of nowhere suddenly got hit by 30-40mph gusts from what felt like every direction, making the bridge bounce around so much I actually undid my jacket and started clocking where the nearest ladders were just in case I suddenly found myself in the drink.

I don't know what it is about that model of bridge, but crossing them always makes me a little nervous. They bounce around far too much at the least provocation. I know that's by design and makes them more stable but boy do they give me a sweat.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't know what it is about that model of bridge, but crossing them always makes me a little nervous. They bounce around far too much at the least provocation. I know that's by design and makes them more stable but boy do they give me a sweat.

That's the thing, this one generally doesn't (it's cousin here does, to the point where I try to remember to take the long way round to avoid it), because despite appearances it is actually anchored at both ends. This is the first time I've even been aware of it moving, which is what freaked me out quite so much, along with being hit by winds that were making it pretty hard to stay upright.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Our roof makes worrying pinging sounds whenever the wind picks up beyond a wet fart so am hoping if the roof gets ripped off the insurance will sort us out with a proper one

As Jaeluni said, consider taking photos of your roof before the storm.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Just checked out my local (Somerrrrset) weather forecast for tomorrow, holy moly that's some wind

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"Can you prove your house had a roof before the storm sir?"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

COMRADES, THE RED WIND IS UPON US

oh it's just destroying poo poo and making people miserable?

Yep, pretty typical for a red wind

In weather news there's also some powerful gusts coming

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

As Jaeluni said, consider taking photos of your roof before the storm.
Oh poo poo, very good point.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

My work for tomorrow has been cancelled. I'm thinking of the stuff that we left behind that could blow onto train tracks. Mind you hey could cancel all the trains anyway.

Now I'm wondering what could be open because I want to pop into town and return some library books.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Lol i'm supposed to be driving down to my mum's birthday party tomorrow. Hope we don't die and the house is here when we get back.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Leave the books outside and they'll be returned for you

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

only if they're copies of Gone With the Wind

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

We're right on the red/amber border, wondering if my daughter's farm school group is going to be cancelled tomorrow. Not heard anything yet!

E: Cancelled now.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 17, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
They're telling people only essential travel so presumably everything is cancelled

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

sebzilla posted:

Corbyn is a podcaster now.

https://twitter.com/corbyn_project/status/1493271161676996610

Praxiscast team, you know what must be done

Can't wait for parasocial relationships to get even more loving weird when Jezza intersects with Vaush and Contrapoints.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The latest models also show potential fuckery in the East:

quote:

The arome model which runs at 1.3km in resolution is picking up on gusts of the mid 80's for the east Midlands and East Anglia tomorrow as the system pulls away. It has been on 2 consecutive model updates.

Stay safe, stay home and tie down your cats.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

There's an idea! I just logged onto my library account and they've already added another week for me to return them (which is nice of them.)

The missus has an order coming tomorrow, I think I'll be popping round the corner shop for some milk.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
London’s smallest microflat up for sale at £50,000 for 7 square metres

quote:

The owner has already recouped their investment by getting £800 in rent each month. The current tenant lives elsewhere for most of the time and spends just a night or two each week in the flat as it is closer to work.

The auction minimum is well below the average deposit for first-time buyers in London, which Halifax calculated at £130,357 in 2020, but Neal Hudson, a housing analyst, warned that first-time buyers should be aware it is not sustainable to live in a tiny flat long-term and that if they are unable to sell they could find themselves stuck.

The price is a powerful symbol of how inaccessible housing has become. The TV presenter Kirstie Allsopp recently irked millennials by suggesting they could afford to buy their own homes if they spent less on the gym, easyJet flights, coffee and Netflix. Critics have pointed out that when she bought her first flat, the average home cost £50,000 and measured 73.4 sq m – 10 times bigger than the Clapton flat.

normal country

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
you can live anywhere if you don't care about being able to be active, move about, drink something other than water or partake in entertainment

that's one hell of a netflix bill

Guavanaut posted:

I hope the wall parakeets are safe from the storm.

https://twitter.com/NiamhMaryCurran/status/1493503591549739012

that seems like a feature

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

quote:

The arome model which runs at 1.3km in resolution is picking up on gusts of the mid 80's for the east Midlands and East Anglia tomorrow as the system pulls away. It has been on 2 consecutive model updates.

I don't even see the towns anymore, all I see is code.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope the heat output of this absolutely galactic brain doesn't wreck the James Webb telescope :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/NicholasTyrone/status/1493271072887746563

When you're so #FBPE that the one UK democratic result of the last 10 years you'd change isn't actually that one.

And half the replies are for David Miliband over Ed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

I hope the heat output of this absolutely galactic brain doesn't wreck the James Webb telescope :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/NicholasTyrone/status/1493271072887746563

When you're so #FBPE that the one UK democratic result of the last 10 years you'd change isn't actually that one.

And half the replies are for David Miliband over Ed.

Not sure if I'd go for a Labour win in 2017 but Corbs has to do Brexit or a Remain win in 2016 meaning no backbench poo poo fit and a Brexitless election against Osborne or whoever where anti-austerity would hopefully win out.