Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

When you die in elden ring it says “you rang?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

2house2fly posted:

MGSV was magnificent, begone

Oh cmon, it only successfully transplanted previously very bespoke environments in a wider open world that looked great and had tons of secrets to find. The gameplay was basically the same except streamlined and new additions were added to make it feel less on rails and...

Wait, which game am I talking about again?

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

MGSV Jeep scene, the clear point they ran out of money and surprise final boss made me feel like I was in a fever dream. shame. still fun as hell tho

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I hope Talisman choices are interesting instead of FaP/Third Dragon/Favor on every character last 3 souls games but considering one of the starting gifts is boring +HP I’m not getting my hopes up

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

they should have a master key starting gift but it only opens a single chest that contains nothing but skeletons

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Call it the skeleton key

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
wait what does parrying have to lady maria

you just get your axe and spin like a beyblade until she goes away

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

2house2fly posted:

MGSV was magnificent, begone

The same 3 missions repeated over and over and over is magnificence, ok.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lakbay posted:

I hope Talisman choices are interesting instead of FaP/Third Dragon/Favor on every character last 3 souls games but considering one of the starting gifts is boring +HP I’m not getting my hopes up

My hope is that they are all good out of the box, and none of them in the style of "Now this may SEEM like it is weak... But in NG+ it will be better!" design.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

come on guys stop asking from software not to be from software

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
So a Youtube Elden Ring guy made a video arguing in favor of playing as Wretch for your first playthrough, and he makes some good points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyAHtC9xqUM

I've never done this for my initial playthrough of a FromSoft game, and I'm considering it now. One of my consistent minor gripes about the series is that most loot acquisition doesn't feel great. Sure, it's nice when you find an Estus Shard or one of the particular rings you're going to equip for the rest of your run, but the vast majority of loot just sits in your inventory and is never interacted with. Scrounging around and discovering upgrade equipment repeatedly would be a nice change of pace, especially coupled with ER's open world structure.

I imagine this would only be true for the first 20-35% of the game however, as you'll eventually find the setup you're most comfortable with and start building upon it for the rest of the game.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
The only correct method of picking your starting class is Fashion.:colbert: Go with whichever class has the outfit you like.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Oenis posted:

I never liked parrying because the animation is always too long (especially those where the character does two hits) and feels to me like it takes away player agency. I bounced hard off sekiro and haven't really loved BB where those felt almost required.

Maybe I'll like the new active guard counter thing in Elden Ring, but in all likelihood I'll just become a wizard and snipe everything from afar.

Parrying in Bloodborne and parrying in Sekiro are very different beasts.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't really care about discovering new gear apart from dressing up - I tend to find the weapon I use throughout the first playthrough early on (for example Heide Sword for 2 or Butcher Knife in 3). It's about discovering new locales and bosses for me.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Flytrap posted:

I don't know how much is me getting better but this playthrough I snagged the Whirlygig from the DLC pretty early proceeded to let er RIP the rest of the game to great effect. I was shocked how much damage I did to Amygdala on a overhead swing

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

CYBEReris posted:

they should have a master key starting gift but it only opens a single chest that contains nothing but skeletons

I know everyone on SA seems to love contextless images or one liners but I've not fully converted yet - this is a picture of a trap from Gary Gygax's DnD module "The Tomb Of Horrors", infamously a trap-filled fun house made to kill players unfairly. Which if anyone played through Sen's Fortress knows that Miyazaki and his crew are definitely familiar with that place

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 17, 2022

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Trap chest skeletons were a Kings Field staple, not sure why they never made the jump to Souls

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

isn't that what mimics are for

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cowcaster posted:

isn't that what mimics are for

Why not mimics with skeletons inside them, feeding symnecrotically upon their prey?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I wish more mimic type enemies were like the ones in Darksouls. Everyone keeps obsessing over gotcha death traps, but the reason they stand out to me is-

A: They let you go if you have enough health to not die. What a nice monster.

B: They know Karate to loving spin kick you to death. Which is much cooler than being some vaguely gooey shapeshifter.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Welp, that video sold me. Definitely doing my first blind playthrough as a wretch.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Has anyone gotten a key from Humble yet?
Normally you get them right away.

Magitek posted:

So a Youtube Elden Ring guy made a video arguing in favor of playing as Wretch for your first playthrough, and he makes some good points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyAHtC9xqUM

I've never done this for my initial playthrough of a FromSoft game, and I'm considering it now. One of my consistent minor gripes about the series is that most loot acquisition doesn't feel great. Sure, it's nice when you find an Estus Shard or one of the particular rings you're going to equip for the rest of your run, but the vast majority of loot just sits in your inventory and is never interacted with. Scrounging around and discovering upgrade equipment repeatedly would be a nice change of pace, especially coupled with ER's open world structure.

I imagine this would only be true for the first 20-35% of the game however, as you'll eventually find the setup you're most comfortable with and start building upon it for the rest of the game.

I've done this for all the DS games and it is so, so good. You truly feel desperate and terrified of what's to come. There's no way to experience it the same way on anything but your first playthrough.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 17, 2022

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

knobgobblin posted:

Welp, that video sold me. Definitely doing my first blind playthrough as a wretch.

Same, I think. I mean, why not? All the starting class gear will become available at some point in the game anyway.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

knobgobblin posted:

Yeah, I think it got into my head too.

Almost like a callback to starting a character in Diablo, or a brand-new MMO.

I'll probably still have a build/playstyle in mind for how I want to play, but maybe I should dump that idea too and just let what I find take me as I go.

I know items are upgradeable in these types of games. I goofed around on my old DS1 character a couple nights ago, and it got me thinking - I had a +9 Halberd in my bags, but I also had an upgraded Black Knight Polearm. And an upgraded Great Sword for some reason. In these types of games, are there only a certain number of "upgrade" reagents in the game, or could I upgrade a weapon freely and if I find something I like better later, I'd still be able to fully upgrade it? Or are there only so many Titanite Chunks or whatever available so upgrades should be considered carefully?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
In the other games you could farm every material except the final one that gets stuff to +10 of which there’s about 3 per NG

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Flytrap posted:

are we still talking about Nioh

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Raygereio posted:

The only correct method of picking your starting class is Fashion.:colbert: Go with whichever class has the outfit you like.

That's exactly the point he's making for why you should pick Wretch first. All the other starter fashion looks so good you might lock yourself out of other, equally good looking stuff you find in the world.
Wretch first, non-Wretch starter is for follow up playthroughs.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well huh, yeah I will probably try wretch out first now. Also I should look at learning about connecting my PC to the TV, I somehow sorta forgot that's a thing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

Has anyone gotten a key from Humble yet?
Normally you get them right away.

I've done this for all the DS games and it is so, so good. You truly feel desperate and terrified of what's to come. There's no way to experience it the same way on anything but your first playthrough.

not only did i get my key from humble it let me unlock elden ring early i'm playing it right now

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Cowcaster posted:

not only did i get my key from humble it let me unlock elden ring early i'm playing it right now

literal humble brag

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Do weapon arts - or whatever the Ashes of War add to the weapon - consume FP to use? Or do they just work on some kind of cooldown system?

Edit: Not sure it's a spoiler, but added tags anyway.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to decide if even a straight STR build will want Mind.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

is wretch this game's version of the naked level 1

i always pick that class anyways for pvp griefing reasons (in every souls game)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Raine posted:

Yeah it's this game's Deprived.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Raine posted:

Yep. And I never pick that option, but the dude made a pretty compelling argument

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Gonna be wretched

Like some goons have already said, it's the thrill of starting with nothing and scrounging together bits and bobs while trying to figure out exactly what build it's going to be

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

cant wait to break this game over my knee and find the most OP poo poo in the game with the lowest stat requirements

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Always start as the naked lvl1 because it makes slipping on that first pair of dirty zombie jorts all the sweeter.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
This next week is going to be brutal. Why couldn't this be out now instead of Horizon while I have a nice long weekend ahead of me

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

give me my northern regalia is what im sayin

also i heard that you have to actively request invaders or something so my plans might be for nothing. my heart will break. i just want to torture new players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

im gonna bet there will be some form of weapon art that makes a dagger output ridiculous damage, like far beyond what a dmb build can put on it in souls