Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Wait really? I always thought anisotropic was one of those things that basically had no performance impact

It was my go-to to turn down in TWW2 and I notice a difference in 3. I'm up for being wrong.

EDIT: I've noticed that "Advice Frequency" keeps turning itself to high after I turn it down.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I got to mess around with settings a bit and run the campaign benchmark a few times before work. Hopefully it’s indicative of in game performance because I got it to a point where it seemed pretty good. Sadly the Warham games have just never been super smooth performance wise.

I really hope that DLSS is an option somewhere in the future.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Its just the campaign map for me tbh. Battles run fine. But man does my gpu turn into a jet engine on campaign maps

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

These skaven siege maps CA why

:negative:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I've only played the prologue so far, but loading into battles took longer than I'd like, so after they iron out the important bugs, I hope there's going to be another optimization pass. It's definitely playable, but especially for co-op I think it could add up to be kind of a pain. Otherwise, game's good. My early impression is that I don't think I'm going to fall in love with playing as Kislev, but I might stick with them past the prologue just to at least give them a shot with the full roster and campaign mechanics unlocked.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Bumped my settings up to High, 2560x1440, followed some of the tips here like Fog to low, FXAA, and it looks pretty good now. Performance from my 970 is fine, some slight lag on the campaign map. This is the prologue though so maybe the main map will be worse. loving love the bear units

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Electronico6 posted:

These skaven siege maps CA why

:negative:

your punishment for not allying with the Best Faction

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I have no performance issues at all :smug:

No lag and the turn times and load times are quick

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Finished the tutorial. You know, I never realized how much I don't like quest battles until I had to do three of them in a couple hours. Not knowing what you're up against until it's over and having reinforcement armies keep spawning in from the sides and rear of the map just makes them slogs.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay the mono god chaos factions rule

Playing as Tzeentch, butting heads with Cathay at the great wall while trying to spread south and capture more of the Chaos Wastes. Storm Dragon lady pushed her way out from the wall and began besieging the city my main army had just colonized from ruins. I figured I was screwed, but I started looking around and realized I could Changing of the Ways several of their settlements from the other side of the wall to other factions. I had enough Tzeentch corruption spread across the chaos wastes that I was able to cheaply transfer ownership of all three visible settlements from the other side of the wall to random minor chaos factions, which not only peeled storm dragon lady off of me, they managed to get their armies inside and cap some other Cathay cities and now they're spreading through Cathay

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Battles seem slower paced which is nice. Units definitely live longer and move slower which is actually making me do ~tactics~ instead of just slamming all my dudes into the enemy.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Randallteal posted:

Finished the tutorial. You know, I never realized how much I don't like quest battles until I had to do three of them in a couple hours. Not knowing what you're up against until it's over and having reinforcement armies keep spawning in from the sides and rear of the map just makes them slogs.

The last one was easy, but I did think the second and third were harder than I expected for an experience meant to hand hold new players through the game.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Mordja posted:

Sure enough, TWW3 is already the biggest launch in the Warham series, hitting over 130K concurrence already, more than either previous game. Gonna install it now and see how it runs on my 1070 given all the Steam performance complaints (probably mostly from people on generations-old cards trying to run it on max). I'm seeing that low fog and FXAA instead of TAA can make a big difference.

To be honest I'm running it on my pre-historic 960 and while it's obvious not amazing it's also not painful in anyway. A little slow in the big fights but otherwise fine

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Seems well optimized, some games make my 3070 scream for no reason but this is quiet as a church mouse at ultra settings

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Just finished the prologue and drat, it was pretty cool throughout albeit very easy. Also sets up the rest of the game storywise.

Game runs pretty well on my 3060 Ti. :)

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah, got a couple of hours in before work and it feels like a really great foundation to build the culmination of the series on. Really excited to see what they add through DLC, and to have all the other factions brought forward.

First home run of 2022 for me, and it’s only gunna get better from here.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Have a 1060 6GB and I put it to medium textures but I'm still getting 60 fps in battles on 1080p with scale set to large so I'm happy. Haven't had any huge fights with more than 60 units yet though.

Campaign map is another story, the framerate doesn't bother me too bad but it is only a bit over 40 (high -> medium textures gave me +3 fps lol) and dips to 30.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kind of got it in me to put together a short video, grabbing the audio from the intro to the old Polish TV adaptation of with fire and sword

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4EJ3ZD-Gdc

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Water is usually a big one. I don't know if they still do it, but most TW games have a constantly rendered layer of water beneath the ground layer, even on a 100% land map. If you can take the minor visual hit, turning Anisotropic from 16x to 8x can make a big performance difference.

Water isn’t a setting anymore ;(

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
All the campaign story stuff is really well put together, which makes it even more confusing that CA decided to have it be a prequel to the much more narratively weaker first game.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Unselecting the Screen Space Shadows checkbox gave me like 10FPS on high settings in the benchmark.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Vagabong posted:

All the campaign story stuff is really well put together, which makes it even more confusing that CA decided to have it be a prequel to the much more narratively weaker first game.

Archaon's invasion is canonically the last thing that ever happened in the setting. Obviously depending on who wins here that would never happen though so just don't worry about it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Are your units in the prologue supposed to be getting absolutely creamed in every fight after Dervingard? I was winning, but basically every battle was a pyrrhic victory. Its thematic I guess, but its making feel like I'm even worse at this game than I thought I was.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Vagabong posted:

Can't have anyone stealing Archaon's thunder as the ultimate threat. Hopefully the combined map will have a cooler version of the chaos invasion that takes the events of WH2 and 3 into consideration (somehow).

1stGear posted:

Are your units in the prologue supposed to be getting absolutely creamed in every fight after Dervingard? I was winning, but basically every battle was a pyrrhic victory. Its thematic I guess, but its making feel like I'm even worse at this game than I thought I was.

Have you recruited up to your max army size? It seems like you can pretty much hang back and build up as much as you want after you take Dervingard if you're having trouble. I was able to get decisive auto-resolves for everything except the quest battles past that point.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 17, 2022

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Katarina is a fun start. You have a relatively calm start as you try to ready yourself as much as possible and then the demons start coming and you have to get used to fighting on multiple fronts at the same time to hold the line and try to find ways to expand for both exp and resources.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Verify the integrity of the game cache yall

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i named my demon prince Bone Rockin' Charles but i feel like his canon name should be SLAMBO because slambo was just a regular chaos soldier too so he could have ascended to daemonhood by being super cool

edit: lmao the wood elves who live in nordland sailed across the sea to come and try and kill me on turn 4

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 17, 2022

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Randallteal posted:

Have you recruited up to your max army size? It seems like you can pretty much hang back and build up as much as you want after you take Dervingard if you're having trouble. I was able to get decisive auto-resolves for everything except the quest battles past that point.

I had, but was still getting wrecked. Oh well, still finished it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

"just ignore them Eltreon, just think of all the slaanussy you're gonna get after this battle."

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

edit: lmao the wood elves who live in nordland sailed across the sea to come and try and kill me on turn 4

i did about 20 turns of that campaign and the theme was everyone wants to kill you and will sail across the sea to do it

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Vagabong posted:

They are probably going to do different start dates, probably bundled with DLC (like 3k did). It’s a great idea because it can move factions and characters around to keep things fresh.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Heads up, if you have a 12th gen Intel CPU you must follow these instructions from CA to get the game working correctly.

I love the performance from my 12700k, but this is the 3rd game I've had trouble with.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/sujy21/combined_map_regions_from_the_game_file/

Looks like the included the region files for the big map.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i'm a big fan of the new minor settlement sieges. you can't see anything that's going on in the skaven ones with brown rats in brown dirt tunnels. i feel so immersed.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got it unpacked last night, but just clicked through some menus before going to bed.

It confirmed that Cathay characters don’t have quest battles for legendary items. I wonder why that happened.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
ogre kingdoms are nuts btw, skrag is an easy recommend for first campaign. you start off conquering the southwest corner of the map and then seems like you can do whatever you want after that.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'm assuming at this point it's too late to get the Ogre Kingdoms for free if I bought it now?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'm assuming at this point it's too late to get the Ogre Kingdoms for free if I bought it now?

Pretty sure you have a week.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Dr Christmas posted:

I got it unpacked last night, but just clicked through some menus before going to bed.

It confirmed that Cathay characters don’t have quest battles for legendary items. I wonder why that happened.

Katarin also gets her Frost Blade with no quest battle but then has a quest battle for her cloak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

That's weird, I wonder if they'll get some added later.