Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Have you guys never really seen/used a outside touchscreen whatevermachine?

Theyre not an absolute disaster. Tbh the worse problem is light from the sun making things unreadable. Oh and not enough light making it readable. And being slow as gently caress.

actual gently caress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

those touchscreens are pretty big, a couple feet tall, to accommodate all the icons necessary in a large enough size for people with limited vision to use. it would be difficult to mount them at a suitable height to be usable for people both in small cars as well as giant trucks

It's this, there's no standard car height which sound waves don't care about but arms do.

The most likely implementation of this would be a small screen you actually punch the order into because fast food is quite attached to their huge boards with all the menu and specials on it and an actual screen that size would be mondo expensive and failure prone.

Of course the primary reason this hasn't been even explored as a concept as far as I'm aware is because it's much, much, much slower than just having someone say what they want and have someone who is experienced with the POS deal with inputting it, and if you aren't familiar with the industry it's hard to imagine how frothingly psychotic loads of people get when it comes to drive thru times

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ozmunkeh posted:

unable to edit contact dr pepper. here’s what I found on the web for cheeseburger *reads wikipedia*

I feel like I'd take a clear error over the nightmare that is deadlocking trying to order food with someone in a different language and not being clear what they are asking half way through the transaction. Just looping around with no way to escape of "are you asking me if I want change? sure? no? what are you asking me? are you asking for more money? are you asking if I want something? I see you are pointing at the change, are you saying take the change? are you saying I need more change? are you saying you don't have enough change? I don't understand what is happening. please. number two. :small hand motion: coke. take-away" a siri thing I could muddle my way past an error, the horror of almost getting through a transaction then having no way to back up with a person is just the worst thing.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

Of course the primary reason this hasn't been even explored as a concept as far as I'm aware is because it's much, much, much slower than just having someone say what they want and have someone who is experienced with the POS deal with inputting it, and if you aren't familiar with the industry it's hard to imagine how frothingly psychotic loads of people get when it comes to drive thru times

yes absolutely. i go on this little rant about once a year in this thread but 99% of restaurants in america already have touchscreens, and only trained operators are allowed to use them. one of the things apple spends a shitload of money on is intuitive UI. it is very, very difficult to make a UI which is simultaneously comprehensive, easy to use, and fast to use. restaurant POS terminals compromise on being easy to use, meaning that training and experience are part of the skillset of working in foodservice. i'm not kidding, when you're interviewing for a restaurant job as a server you will be asked what POS systems you have experience with, because this influences how many training shifts you'll need before you are expected to not make mistakes or take five minutes punching in an order

the biggest reason that touchscreens haven't replaced workers at a counter in fast food lobbies is that it is usually faster to just tell your order to a trained touchscreen toucher than to interact with the touchscreen yourself. this is especially true for older people who struggle with all technology. again, throughput is the number one critical factor in terms of turning a profit in fast food. people holding up drive throughs whining about free sauce murder your bottom line, this is a big reason they are given whatever they want to go the gently caress away. an old person taking 120 seconds to order a small coffee via drive through touchpad in the breakfast rush could easily cost the restaurant fifty bucks in lost revenue as subsequent customers simply drive away to a different place to get food. its not a problem with perfecting the technology, its a social problem inherent in some customers simply needing to be guided by hand through the ordering process so that they match the tempo of the restaurant operations

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

voice tech is still extremely unreliable, even on phones or within controlled indoor environments. using it for a fast food drive through sounds like a recipe for a fantastic nightmare where you repeatedly scream your order for 5 increasingly frustrated minutes as the line backs up behind you. god forbid you have an accent or it's mildly windy outside.

it sounds like the kind of thing a company would experiment with at half a dozen location and then quietly roll back after profits drop 50 percent in 2 weeks.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Seems like the solution to that is just have one guy per 50 machines or whatever and have it direct unclear audio clips to him to either just hear the clip and seamlessly correct or have a button to break in and take over the speaker remotely. It doesn't matter if the system is 100% perfect if it covers the routine orders.

what on earth kind of goofy solution is this lol

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Stexils posted:

what on earth kind of goofy solution is this lol

It’s how automated phone systems have worked for like 35 years. A computerized menu that falls back to a live operator when needed

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

... which companies have to devote resources to changing in an arms race with the all users who desperately want to bypass the automated system and just talk to a human

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

automated call systems with human operators, a famously fast and responsive solution to a high volume, low margin business that mandates moving every customer through the queue as fast as possible

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It’s how automated phone systems have worked for like 35 years. A computerized menu that falls back to a live operator when needed

No time constraints until it hits the desk of a real person, orders of magnitude simpler and more standardized in terms of the duty it is tasked with automating, and EVEN THEN a huge chunk of people will just sit there mashing 0 until a real person comes on the line

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
People are already bad enough when the person on the drive-thru mic has a foreign accent, I can't imagine getting stuck behind some raging boomer frothing at the mouth because McSiri can't understand him.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
they're gonna steal my childhood idea of beaming the menu to an info screen in your car and ordering from it!

heck, they could just make the info screen small enough for people to carry around! also allow them to access it from a distance rather than having to be near the restaurant

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I wonder what the odds are that this mystery person who took over the DAO was the same person who set up the DAO.

But no, no blockchain company would ever do such a thing.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

PhazonLink posted:

Have you guys never really seen/used a outside touchscreen whatevermachine?

Theyre not an absolute disaster. Tbh the worse problem is light from the sun making things unreadable. Oh and not enough light making it readable. And being slow as gently caress.

actual gently caress them.

The EV Charging stations in Palm Springs, CA are burned to unintelligibility due to their constant exposure to sunlight.

Fortunately the mobile app did the deed.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i was thinking about how to make this work. my initial thought was that, if i were a chain, i’d ultimately want everyone using my app or page. and to encourage that, i’d levy a hefty drive-thru fee.

but then i got to thinking a bit, and now i’m curious: is there a political slant to those who use apps and pages for delivery versus those who call or order in-person? i obviously see an age trend, and that obviously has an inherent political slant. but if you controlled for age/technical ability, i wonder what characteristics of a customer correlate with personal ordering (calls and in-person). and similarly, what characteristics of a customer correlate with apersonal ordering (apps and pages).

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

yes absolutely. i go on this little rant about once a year in this thread but 99% of restaurants in america already have touchscreens, and only trained operators are allowed to use them. one of the things apple spends a shitload of money on is intuitive UI. it is very, very difficult to make a UI which is simultaneously comprehensive, easy to use, and fast to use. restaurant POS terminals compromise on being easy to use, meaning that training and experience are part of the skillset of working in foodservice. i'm not kidding, when you're interviewing for a restaurant job as a server you will be asked what POS systems you have experience with, because this influences how many training shifts you'll need before you are expected to not make mistakes or take five minutes punching in an order

the biggest reason that touchscreens haven't replaced workers at a counter in fast food lobbies is that it is usually faster to just tell your order to a trained touchscreen toucher than to interact with the touchscreen yourself. this is especially true for older people who struggle with all technology. again, throughput is the number one critical factor in terms of turning a profit in fast food. people holding up drive throughs whining about free sauce murder your bottom line, this is a big reason they are given whatever they want to go the gently caress away. an old person taking 120 seconds to order a small coffee via drive through touchpad in the breakfast rush could easily cost the restaurant fifty bucks in lost revenue as subsequent customers simply drive away to a different place to get food. its not a problem with perfecting the technology, its a social problem inherent in some customers simply needing to be guided by hand through the ordering process so that they match the tempo of the restaurant operations

But they have? Here in the UK both my local KFC and Mcdonalds have primary touchscreen order points. Undeniablely, this is much slower than queuing up to order - more because people browse the entire menu and dither over what they want much more than when a person is staring at them. However, Mcdonalds for example has 6 order points replacing one human order point, which makes up somewhat for the slow speed. Furthermore, you have delivery orders occupying a substantial amount of kitchen time without having to worry about customers, so your staff are spending more time flipping burgers and less taking burger orders (in theory, in practice delivery drivers are worse than the public at harassing staff because they only make minimum wage if they can shout at other minimum wage workers to get their food to them quickly). The KFC only has two order kiosks, so people often queue up anyways in rush periods because otherwise takes ages to order - but it still means they don't need someone on the order point all the time.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
In Australia both KFC and McDonalds have an app where you can place your order, then just head through the drive-thru and quote the order number at the person instead of giving your order. Rather than having to train a system to recognize your menu, just get it to recognize order numbers and direct people to use the app beforehand.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

the biggest reason that touchscreens haven't replaced workers at a counter in fast food lobbies is that it is usually faster to just tell your order to a trained touchscreen toucher than to interact with the touchscreen yourself.
Is this another thing the US doesn’t have yet? In the UK pretty much every fast food place has tall touchscreen ordering points spread out in front of the counter, hardly anybody actually queues up to order from a human now (pretty sure it’s not even an option anymore in some places).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

In any case, automation that frees people from menial jobs dealing with the shithead public is actually good and was the entire point of inventing mechanised labour; the actual problem is the lack of basic income / basic services / other fundamental societal welfare that makes people wholly reliant on these awful jobs in the first place.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

TACD posted:

Is this another thing the US doesn’t have yet? In the UK pretty much every fast food place has tall touchscreen ordering points spread out in front of the counter, hardly anybody actually queues up to order from a human now (pretty sure it’s not even an option anymore in some places).

They exist in the United States but they're not nearly as common as they are in Europe.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Kaal posted:

They exist in the United States but they're not nearly as common as they are in Europe.

Yeah, I see them quite a bit here in FL but, to me, they make more sense when you're ordering something like a sub sandwich than just Quarter Pounder meal or something just because there's so many variations and ingredients for a sub. I like the touchscreen kiosk at Daily's and Wawa for this reason. Presumably, fast food doesn't have a ton of customization but there's always someone who wants no pickles, extra mayo, etc.

Still doesn't solve the problem of the kitchen getting it wrong though. I don't like american cheese and somehow I'll still get it on my food like 1/4 of the time. Same for my kid who doesn't like pickles and ketchup on his burgers.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

those touchscreens are pretty big, a couple feet tall, to accommodate all the icons necessary in a large enough size for people with limited vision to use. it would be difficult to mount them at a suitable height to be usable for people both in small cars as well as giant trucks

Imagine if we lived in a scifi future where we all carried a touchscreen in our pocket!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like a huge advantage of a machine ordering system is that it could inherently speak any language the software supports if they wanted to. Like that feels like a big deal. Being able to just roll up only speaking french or spanish or chinese and expecting to have a way to interact with a drive through. Ordering food in a language you don't speak is a charming magical experience like 8-10 times that grows extremely frustrating rapidly. Speaking to siri in your native language would be a thousand times easier for a lot of people that trying to pantomime "cheese burger" to a bored teen

Is there any voice recognition software that not only supports multiple languages, but just automatically detects what language someone is speaking instead of needing to be explicitly set to a language? Given the current state of the art, I kinda doubt it.

I don't have an iPhone, but I'm pretty sure you can't just roll up and start speaking French to Siri. You have to go into a menu and change its language setting first.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If I yell at a touchscreen I'm a crazy person.
If I yell at a fast food worker I'm getting an extra burger. And it's going to be extra moist too.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Is there any voice recognition software that not only supports multiple languages, but just automatically detects what language someone is speaking instead of needing to be explicitly set to a language? Given the current state of the art, I kinda doubt it.

I don't have an iPhone, but I'm pretty sure you can't just roll up and start speaking French to Siri. You have to go into a menu and change its language setting first.

You can try this by going to Google Translate, choosing "detect language" and then saying some phrases in different languages to mic. The results are wild. Selecting a language will give far more accurate results.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Main Paineframe posted:

Why over complicate it with automatic detection?

Why not just start in the local language and have a sign saying what phrase to say to switch languages? Or say it in the greeting if two languages are common like the human speakers at fast food places literally do right now in heavy spanish speaking areas.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The local McDonalds has ordering automats and they have three flags for choosing language (finnish, swedish and english).

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

TACD posted:

I was going to say here in The Netherlands I haven't ordered at a McDonalds or Taco Bell counter in years, ordering and payment are all handled on a big touchscreen and frankly it's pretty great. The screen can be in your language, you can see all the options available, and make sure your order is what you actually intended.

I don't know how you could handle this from a car but using your phone would be a good start.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
At the end of the day, ordering drive thru fast food that you then eat alone in your car during your daily commute is a miserable and dehumanizing experience for everyone involved, even the robot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Some restaurants down here I can just sit down at a table, access the site or scan a QR code, and order entirely using my phone. The UI is a bit dubious but otherwise it's a smooth process, and saves time, contact and social awkwardness.

A lot of the problems come from a mix of solutions in search of problems and trying to adapt existing systems when they could be rethought from the ground up.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

Imagine if we lived in a scifi future where we all carried a touchscreen in our pocket!

this is true, but it also has nothing to do with why large public touchscreens don't generally show up at drive throughs - smaller ones are better to account for variable vehicle height, but aren't suitable for fast food menu ordering when the menu is guaranteed to be crammed with large images

TACD posted:

they exist in the US and i hardly ever see anyone using them, granted i don't spend much time hanging around in fast food lobbies. but usually the preference is for people to talk to another person, local levels of social anxiety and avoidance may vary. i can see why brits would want to have as little contact with each other as possible

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 17, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Okay, so how's this for the US market. Make a bulletproof screen and you just shoot at biathlon targets next to the pictures of items you want. You can call it the drive-by-through!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Local Weather posted:

I was going to say here in The Netherlands I haven't ordered at a McDonalds or Taco Bell counter in years, ordering and payment are all handled on a big touchscreen and frankly it's pretty great. The screen can be in your language, you can see all the options available, and make sure your order is what you actually intended.

I don't know how you could handle this from a car but using your phone would be a good start.

Netherlands has actual actual 1930s style automats though, where you buy long chicken nuggets and weird croquettes that all look and taste the same.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Japan has had things where you buy a token from a vending machine then trade the token for the food it represents since like the 70s. And conveyor belt sushi where you just take whatever plates you want then feed them into a machine that calculates your bill and also is a slot machine where you win toys and stuff. Automated fast food has worked in a bunch of forms all over.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

they exist in the US and i hardly ever see anyone using them, granted i don't spend much time hanging around in fast food lobbies. but usually the preference is for people to talk to another person, local levels of social anxiety and avoidance may vary. i can see why brits would want to have as little contact with each other as possible

I don't see them super often but the last time I was in a McDonalds (pre-pandemic) I attempted to use one and found it surprisingly inconvenient. I just wanted to press the #3 button (or whatever) and hit submit but I literally couldn't find a way to order a meal instead of individually selecting a burger, a drink, and some fries.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
We already did Disney talk but drat did they find a new shtick:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1494152376068022274?s=20&t=3hzZwKo6C5YS5w1EEnd56w

quote:

"Storyliving by Disney" is a master-planned residential community that is "designed to be the perfect setting for Disney fans to write the next exciting chapter in their lives," said Josh D'Amaro, chairman of Disney's Parks, Experiences, and Products division. Angling to combine the "warmth and charm of a small town" with the "beauty of a resort," the first of these towns will be named Cotino and located in Rancho Mirage, California, just outside Palm Springs, where Walt Disney himself once lived. Cotino is expected to be home to 1,900 housing units, including single-family houses, condos, and larger estates.
Residents will be able to attend Disney-themed activities and programming throughout the year, in addition to special club memberships for an extra fee. Public visitors will be able to purchase a day pass to access the community and its various shops.

“Every single element of these communities will be steeped in a story,” D’Amaro told USA Today. The residents, he says, will be active participants in the stories.

So we have a $5k a night "LARP Cruise" in the Star Wars Hotel, and now Disney is trying to make entire LARP towns. I cannot wait for the inevitable "We didn't deny minority residents because we're racist, we just had already filled up those roles in the cast!" when the law comes to check up on them. That or it's going to just turn into some kinda capitalist cult town.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Crain posted:

We already did Disney talk but drat did they find a new shtick:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1494152376068022274?s=20&t=3hzZwKo6C5YS5w1EEnd56w

So we have a $5k a night "LARP Cruise" in the Star Wars Hotel, and now Disney is trying to make entire LARP towns. I cannot wait for the inevitable "We didn't deny minority residents because we're racist, we just had already filled up those roles in the cast!" when the law comes to check up on them. That or it's going to just turn into some kinda capitalist cult town.

This is actually a rehash of an old schtick, this aligns with what Walt originally wanted to do with EPCOT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKYEXjMlKKQ

Basically the new company town, complete with moral guidelines and everyone being a part of the set.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Imagine what it will be like for the staff when everyone there has paid a shitload of money to be The Main Character.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

CommieGIR posted:

This is actually a rehash of an old schtick, this aligns with what Walt originally wanted to do with EPCOT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKYEXjMlKKQ

Basically the new company town, complete with moral guidelines and everyone being a part of the set.

Yeah, but that was more a codified company town, but utopic (Even though that had been tried over and over and over already). I don't think even Walt had the mind to think that residents would pay to live in a town that was explicitly a stage show.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
So excited for them to bring serfdom back out of the vault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Crain posted:

Yeah, but that was more a codified company town, but utopic (Even though that had been tried over and over and over already). I don't think even Walt had the mind to think that residents would pay to live in a town that was explicitly a stage show.

But I mean, that is what EPCOT was: A stage show. Yes, you did real jobs, but everyone was supposed to come tour EPCOT and see the utopia you were working in.