Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Brexit the Frog posted:

just got this email:

:laffo:

get it together criterion QA

Seriously. They can't find ONE person willing to sit down and watch a movie for them to see if there are glitches?

I'll do it. Hire me, Criterion. Send me the discs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Brexit the Frog posted:

just got this email:

don't hold your breath lmao. criterion seems to be allergic to not bungling releases these days.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Brexit the Frog posted:

just got this email:

still waiting for a replacement Godzilla collection case

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what the error is

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they accidentally used a take where someone says “The Beakles”

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

I wonder what the error is

It's got a few minutes from Gimme Shelter spliced in.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Apparently it's that some scenes are played out of order resulting in continuity errors and other scenes have the wrong soundtrack over them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

lol apparently thanks to the Criterion Collection same Japanese classics are easier to find in America than in Japan

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1491974194594455561?s=20&t=IfIqIWosI1M2pWn7kzIaBw

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1491974793251667974?s=20&t=IfIqIWosI1M2pWn7kzIaBw

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
kojima should get to visit the criterion closet

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
It's the same with Australian movies. There's more releases of stuff on UK labels, with commentary and extras by Aus film critics, than there are local releases.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Cloks posted:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Cloks posted:

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Cloks posted:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Japan rejected Kurosawa and forced him to go elsewhere to fund his films so they can pay a few extra bucks to import the blu rays.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Yeah, when I lived in Japan, I spoke to a bunch of film people there and asked them about their opinions of Kurosawa and it was universally negative. "Too Western" was the note.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

VoodooXT posted:

Yeah, when I lived in Japan, I spoke to a bunch of film people there and asked them about their opinions of Kurosawa and it was universally negative. "Too Western" was the note.
Yeah, I've heard of that before, Godard most famously. Who did they prefer?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Coaaab posted:

Yeah, I've heard of that before, Godard most famously. Who did they prefer?

I think at the time they respected Mizoguchi and Ozu more, although I think those two were getting criticism for being too old fashioned so maybe Japanese audiences were just really hard to please. It's interesting to hear that people in Japan would still feel that way about Kurosawa though, I would've thought they'd have seen the light by now.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
The names I heard thrown around the most when I was there was Mizoguchi, Ozu, and Kinoshita for the old guard. You'll pretty much never hear anyone talk about Japanese New Wave unless they're a diehard cinemaphile but even then, you probably won't hear Ōshima's name thrown around because of his politics and sympathetic views towards Koreans.

I think one of the big problems is how cinema and canon are taught in Japan. I dated someone who was studying to be an editor at the Japan Institute of Moving Images for a little bit and they're pretty much taught a very small and specific canon of films considered "right" and "correct" (and all Japanese). I once tried to talk to her about Walter Murch and the editing in the Godfather I and II and she wasn't having any of that.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 11, 2022

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://mubi.com/lists/japanese-movies-all-time-best-200-kinejun-readers

It's a little old, but here's a top 200 Japanese films list from Japan that I think is an interesting read as someone from the US.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

FancyMike posted:

It's a little old, but here's a top 200 Japanese films list from Japan that I think is an interesting read as someone from the US.

This is a good list because it has The Castle of Cagliostro as the best Miyazaki movie.

edit: The top Obayashi picks are really interesting too.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 11, 2022

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

pospysyl posted:

This is a good list because it has The Castle of Cagliostro as the best Miyazaki movie.

edit: The top Obayashi picks are really interesting too.

Thankfully, US/UK folks and distributors are slowly starting to catch on to Obayashi's post-House films. I haven't seen I Are You, You Am Me yet, but the other four on that list are all great even though I might pick some others over them.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

FancyMike posted:

This is really neat, I'm definitely seeing some stuff I've been meaning to watch or now want to watch on this list.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
May's release slate is really strong:

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1493629248376090626?t=RysfKrsqVM1HpU8NXqelmg&s=19

Double Indemnity
Mr. Klein
The Funeral
Mississippi Masala
Chan is Missing

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Double Indemity 4k is a must have for me

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ratedargh posted:

May's release slate is really strong:

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1493629248376090626?t=RysfKrsqVM1HpU8NXqelmg&s=19

Double Indemnity
Mr. Klein
The Funeral
Mississippi Masala
Chan is Missing

Mississippi Masala is as charming as Mr Klein is devastating. Both essential.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh man I’m kinda glad I haven’t got round to Double Indemnity yet cos that’s gonna be beauuutiful

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

FancyMike posted:

Doesn't seem to reflect the supposed anti Kurosawa feeling at all. Interesting that even in Japan they won't give credit to any other animation directors beyond Miyazaki. A similar list by English language speakers would probably be pulpier, with more animation and more directorial variety, but I bet it would be pretty similar.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

Doesn't seem to reflect the supposed anti Kurosawa feeling at all. Interesting that even in Japan they won't give credit to any other animation directors beyond Miyazaki. A similar list by English language speakers would probably be pulpier, with more animation and more directorial variety, but I bet it would be pretty similar.

I'd take it with a grain of salt since Kinema Junpo readers are pretty much the Criterion people of Japan, so they're more well-versed and openminded than the average Japanese film goer.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

And even then stuff like Woman in the Dunes is way way way down the list.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

gently caress I haven't thought about Chan Is Missing in a loving decade.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

VoodooXT posted:

I'd take it with a grain of salt since Kinema Junpo readers are pretty much the Criterion people of Japan, so they're more well-versed and openminded than the average Japanese film goer.

I guess I wouldn’t be particularly interested in the average person’s opinion. The average American probably says Avengers or Shawshank or something

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

I guess I wouldn’t be particularly interested in the average person’s opinion. The average American probably says Avengers or Shawshank or something

Forrest Gump. American Sniper.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Lumbermouth posted:

gently caress I haven't thought about Chan Is Missing in a loving decade.

I remember seeing it on IFC all the time years ago. It's cool to see it getting a release like this

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Seriously. They can't find ONE person willing to sit down and watch a movie for them to see if there are glitches?

I'll do it. Hire me, Criterion. Send me the discs.

My theory on all the recent fuckups is that they're happening after QC somehow since it's not just Criterion having issues.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Barry Convex posted:

also watched Kurosawa's Kagemusha for the first time last week, jesus christ this film is stunning

Got to see this on 35mm last week, beautiful colors. So annoying that every movie these days has the same look and muddled color scheme.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Pink Flamingos coming in June https://time.com/6148756/john-waters-interview-maisel-2022/

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

yes!! more filth!!!

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Criterion's edition of Miller's Crossing is cut by almost two minutes - because the Coens suffer from Lucasitis, I guess. Also, the transfer is exactly the same as the 2011 Fox edition.

They cut one of the best lines - "Jesus, Tom!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3YATAlIkk8

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does Bernie shoot first now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy_Udo
Apr 16, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Does Bernie shoot first now?

It was worth the Cohens bungling the Criterion release for this remark.