Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TulliusCicero posted:

Rewatching YuYu Hakasho, i realize that the ToP was basically the Dark Tournament except everybody in that had wacky powers (which admittedly ToP also had some of) that power levels really didn't matter against, and you can definitely compare Togoro to Jiren, but Togoro actually had a very straightfoward but very nuanced goal/reason for fighting as he goaded and prodded Yusuke to his limits throughout the whole thing, and Jiren wanted to be strong...because ???

What I'm saying is that Hit is a way more interesting rival/ challenge to Goku and his fight against Jiren was highway robbery.

Kanos posted:

Jiren's motivation is pretty simple. An evil dude killed his family, so he picked himself up and joined a group to get revenge on the evil guy, made friends with everyone in the group, and then the evil guy killed that group too, leaving Jiren the only survivor. He then decided that relying on others to be strong simply gave you a weak point and opened you up to suffering and resolved to be the strongest person ever on his own merits. Presumably he probably would have used the super dragon balls to wish his family and friends back from the dead(and then all of them would have been erased because the ToP was basically a brutal honeypot trap).

Unfortunately we only got any of this motivation like four episodes before the end of the show despite the arc being like 40% of the show.

The Manga goes into details on his motive. Namely Jiren joined the Pride Troopers because his master who he respected above all else told him to. And when the evil guy (Who was also a Demon, so the Angels could not bring him back to life.) killed Jiren's master he had also never actually acknowledged Jiren's strength. Jiren's wish is ultimately for his master to be brought back to life so he can tell him what a cool dude he is.

I posted the relevant panels earlier in the thread.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Jiren was a better character in the manga version. Cause his motives and stuff were actually explained. Like what his wish was, and why he joined the Pride Troopers despite having no interest in working with them.

Top and Dyspo's elimination while not as good a spectacle I would say also worked better in the manga, as it helps Jiren's character.

Also here's Jiren explaining his motives after defeating Ultra Instinct Goku.

And Bermod explaining why he joined up with the Pride Troopers.

Also his Master was killed by a Demon which is why neither Bermod or his Angel can revive him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

jiren is brock lesnar

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Most of this is already conveyed in the anime only less directly and with a somewhat different spin on the character. Jiren's backstory in the anime isn't good, but it's not because it isn't spelled out to you it's because it's spoken of in complete vagueness like Jiren is somehow an onlooker in his own history. The manga backstory by comparison is far more blatant and expository (Which is saying a lot as the anime just STOPS to tell you about it). I can't really say either is good, but I feel like anime Jiren is approached with more nuance? His goals are far less straightforward not meant to be something as simple as bringing a guy back to life, so this version in the manga just seems more childish and like he's willing to erase multiple worlds solely to feel good about himself. Which you can argue the anime Jiren was too, but it was for far more complicated reasons.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Who's ready for nothing to happen this Sunday. :)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think there's an interesting core to Jiren as a nominal good guy who when you peel back his exterior at all is just a selfish, callous rear end in a top hat fixated on his own desires which just happened to intersect with being a superhero in his own world. Really the actual expository reasons for why he needs the dragon balls barely matters, even if his backstory had been better written or explained it wouldn't really have changed his interactions with the rest of the cast

Darth TNT posted:

I have not been this disappointed with Dragon Ball since GT, my body is ready

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

No Dignity posted:

I think there's an interesting core to Jiren as a nominal good guy who when you peel back his exterior at all is just a selfish, callous rear end in a top hat fixated on his own desires which just happened to intersect with being a superhero in his own world.

Just like Goku!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Any good antagonist holds a mirror up to the protagonist. Jiren basically being “goku that didn’t learn the power of friends/having fun” fits well into that groove.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He's the anti-Goku. Goku doesn't go around calling himself a hero or deliberately involving himself other people's business but he has a good heart and if he sees something wrong happen in front of him he'll try to stop it. They both even have similar backstories in that they violently lost their guardians as children but Goku just made peace with it and moved on with his life whereas Jiren hyper fixated on it to the point it defined his entire personality

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Darth TNT posted:

Just checked the preview and yeah...I feel that's exactly what we're getting. This is the lamest arc, can we move on? Maybe the next one will be the one where Toyotaro finally learns to write an arc without giving up at the final antagonist fight...

No Dignity posted:

He's the anti-Goku. Goku doesn't go around calling himself a hero or deliberately involving himself other people's business but he has a good heart and if he sees something wrong happen in front of him he'll try to stop it. They both even have similar backstories in that they violently lost their guardians as children but Goku just made peace with it and moved on with his life whereas Jiren hyper fixated on it to the point it defined his entire personality

Honestly, when you put it this way, it makes Jiren sound like a better Turles than Turles.

...not like that's too complicated but still.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I didn't hate Jiren as much as other people because I kind of liked the way he has a complete breakdown and totally loses his inhibitions when Goku turns out to be an actual match for him. It indicated that his previous stoic demeanor was just kind of a fragile front and he was hoping that nobody would ever crack it (Frieza gleefully points this out). They could do something with that idea of him longing for approval from a person he admired more than anything and who's disappearance without confirming how important their relationship was left him permanently embittered and wary, like this is almost exactly the opposite of Goku who is always sunny and up front about his relationships with others.

I think they could probably flesh him out a bit more along these lines in the future which might retroactively improve how he comes across in the ToP, but I'm not really sure how you could organically include major exploration of Jiren and his history in the future.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Broly is going to kill and eat Jiren off-screen

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I also enjoyed Frieza and Vegeta (manga) talking poo poo to Jiren.

"You want to bring your master back so he can tell you what a good boy you are?" :allears:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
As far as we know, Jiren's bad guy is STILL out there

That seems like a perfect set up, Jiren has to call for help from Goku and friends to come help him slay the demon once and for all

"Great hero Freeza, I beseech you!"

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Despite the late introduction of the plot (or perphaps because of it) I was pretty sure that the "evil guy" that killed Jiren's family and his friends was going to be revealed to be the clown GoD and that Jiren then trained enough until he beats him into his bitch

But then it turns out it was just "some evil guy of average evil guy height"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Burkion posted:

As far as we know, Jiren's bad guy is STILL out there

That seems like a perfect set up, Jiren has to call for help from Goku and friends to come help him slay the demon once and for all

"Great hero Freeza, I beseech you!"

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Evil Doer for Fighterz2

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

lezard_valeth posted:

Despite the late introduction of the plot (or perphaps because of it) I was pretty sure that the "evil guy" that killed Jiren's family and his friends was going to be revealed to be the clown GoD and that Jiren then trained enough until he beats him into his bitch

But then it turns out it was just "some evil guy of average evil guy height"

This would have been great, especially since they gave Belmod a shitload of pointlessly menacing scenes. It's an easy setup, too - Belmod could have seen Jiren's potential and intentionally hosed up his life to get him to both become insanely strong and also a dickhead, which are both primo qualifications for being a new GoD.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Honestly I think that would be giving Jiren's complex far too much credit. The point of revealing his backstory is to show that he's let his past dictate his entire life and it's closed him off to forming new relationships and valuing other peoples lives, if it looped back round to being a present plot point and making him a pawn of Belmond it just validates Jiren having been that way up until then. He doesn't need to fight Evil Doer to get closure, he just needs to move on and accept new things into his life.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

No Dignity posted:

Honestly I think that would be giving Jiren's complex far too much credit. The point of revealing his backstory is to show that he's let his past dictate his entire life and it's closed him off to forming new relationships and valuing other peoples lives, if it looped back round to being a present plot point and making him a pawn of Belmond it just validates Jiren having been that way up until then. He doesn't need to fight Evil Doer to get closure, he just needs to move on and accept new things into his life.

Jiren finally tracks down Evil Doer, learns that he's already dying of old age or something.

. . .
Jiren borrows the dragonballs from U7 to wish Evil Doer back to full strength so he can defeat him properly.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly

Captain France posted:

Jiren finally tracks down Evil Doer, learns that he's already dying of old age or something.

. . .
Jiren borrows the dragonballs from U7 to wish Evil Doer back to full strength so he can defeat him properly.

This leads to either a) Evil Doer is in fact _so_ evil that even noted brick wall Jiren needs help, proceed with standard DB arc.
or b) Evil Doer is actually just Raditz tier, and so even at full power just gets obliterated. Cheap laughs/angst about how vengeance isn't even that satisfying.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Evil Doer should have a magic sword. We need a good magic sword occasionally.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jiren is pretty much Tenshinhan.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

if it is a Demon, then Jiren had absolutely no chance even at his current beyond-Destroyer levels of strength

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Black August posted:

if it is a Demon, then Jiren had absolutely no chance even at his current beyond-Destroyer levels of strength

Dabura wasn't that big of a deal.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain France posted:

. . .

And that Evil Doer's name? Moro

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Demon Lord Riccolo

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Let's go Gohan, in and out, 20 minutes trip to Namek.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

No Dignity posted:

Demon Lord Riccolo

Innovative way of getting piccolo back to relevance but sure I'll take it

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

khwarezm posted:

Let's go Gohan, in and out, 20 minutes trip to Namek.

I really dislike Rick & Morty but I'm not a liar; I'd absolutely love to watch a DBZ parody like that

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Blaze Dragon posted:

Maybe its whatever that Universe's version of Demigra is? How does the Demon Realm work? Does each universe get its own?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I feel like we’re going to find out that ‘demons’ are more like defective kais, while actual DEMONS are angels gone rogue

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Yeah I think the videogame canon is essentially that Demons like Towa and Demigra are corrupted members of the Kai race.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Captain France posted:

I remember a Batman story like this. With Joe Chill, I think.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blaze Dragon posted:

Idk dude seems pretty big to me

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would like the Demon who killed Jiren's master to have some gimmick that makes it so that Strength is actually useless against him, similar to how Moro started out but more on the tricky and weird end. Something like immunity to Ki based attacks or something. Would explain why Jiren despite how strong he got could never beat him.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

A sort of Reverse Devil-man where the less Evil you are the stronger he becomes

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
People seem really down on this arc now just because of Gas. We knew he was gonna fight someone eventually of course, but it doesn't feel like the arc ever tried to pretend Granolah wasn't the main focus. He could definitely have someone better to fight at the end but I think they still got him over as a character well.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can't remember what are the Heeters even trying to accomplish here?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

They want to be the big bosses in charge of everything. And viewed Strongest in the Universe Granohla as a threat to that. (They also want to take over Freeza's organization and felt if they sent Granohla at Freeza he would have destroyed it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Kill Freeza, they are literally called Heat.