Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Basebf555 posted:

There was just too much time wasted in those first two episodes because they needed that Boba in the desert story to justify why he's changed as a character. Basically an entire episode(i.e. half of each of the first two episodes) was dedicated to that and it's time that could've been very valuable for giving the actual main story room to breathe a little bit.

I can't remember if it was 2, 3 or 4 but one of them is almost entirely spent in flashbacks. There's maybe five minutes of present day Boba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

No Mods No Masters posted:

landlord who wants to complain to the manager of crime
Yes. Feudalism.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Has disney talked about where they want to take these shows in the timeline? I feel like we haven't heard poo poo from the sequel trilogy side of things in years now. Is that just all done now? gently caress it why not just retcon them

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, I imagine S2 was completed or at least already being made by the time TRoS was crashing and burning. Had a feeling that now they've got nothing else to distract them Disney's suits are going to descend on the one thing that people like and begin throwing their poo poo at it presuming they can Make It Better.

The concept art book for S2 that just came out provides a timeline for this, and since Season 1 had a similar timeline, it seems like these shows are made in 2-year cycles:

Season 1:
  • Nov 2017 - Oct 2018: Development and writing
  • Oct 2018 - Feb 2019: Filming
  • Nov 2019: Release

Season 2:
  • Dec 2018 - Oct 2019: Development and writing
  • Oct 2019 - March 2020: Filming
  • Oct 2020: Release

So assuming they just used the same production timeline for Boba, it probably went like this:
  • Late 2019 - Nov 2020: Development and writing
  • Nov 2020 - June 2021: Filming
  • Dec 2021: Release

Book of Boba Fett was internally being developed as "Mandalorian Season 3" to prevent people from finding out about the show before the post-credits teaser, so while the "Nobody at Disney knew the show existed until we announced it" thing might technically be true, they still knew they were working on something, and apparently didn't catch on that it was about a different character. If there was a lot of studio meddling, they probably would have found out sooner what the show was.

That doesn't mean there couldn't also be a lot of studio influence in post-production, though.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Amy Sedaris' character owns, she hosed a jawa

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Has disney talked about where they want to take these shows in the timeline? I feel like we haven't heard poo poo from the sequel trilogy side of things in years now. Is that just all done now? gently caress it why not just retcon them

I just want them to continue the story rather than carry on meandering in the gaps between trilogies. TRoS left the series as a blank slate - everyone's dead or no longer relevant and the status quo is basically restored. They can do whatever the hell they want and take things in a million different directions.

Hell, bring back some of the seeds Rian Johnson planted before JJ smashed it all up. Show us more kids discovering the force with no Jedi around to guide/kidnap them. Show us more of the war profiteering class.

stev fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 17, 2022

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The Boba Fett show being very bad has given me a perverse desire to revisit the prequels for the first time since I was a teenager and I just finished AOTC. In the hubbub of Anakin building C3P0 I completely forgot that Owen Lars also owned him for a few years, only to unknowingly rebuy him three decades later. Absolutely unhinged filmmaking:laffo:

Anyway, my question is: is there some random EU story that goes into the deal with Palpatine's entourage of blue guy, rodian, and other guy? Its kinda cool that these three nameless, voiceless randos are in every important scene on Coruscant so I wonder if anyone ever did anything with that, or if Sheev just casually executes them or whatever.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Robot Style posted:

Book of Boba Fett was internally being developed as "Mandalorian Season 3" to prevent people from finding out about the show before the post-credits teaser, so while the "Nobody at Disney knew the show existed until we announced it" thing might technically be true, they still knew they were working on something, and apparently didn't catch on that it was about a different character. If there was a lot of studio meddling, they probably would have found out sooner what the show was.

It's a bit of a different situation, because Disney had been planning a Boba Fett movie since at least early 2018, then began retooling it into a TV series sometime before Season 2 of Manderlorian was released.

So, Book-O-Boba's pre-production was happening in parallel with the filming and release of Manderlorian Season 1, and obviously shifted gears multiple times in reaction to how that show was going.

"Manderlorian Season 3" ultimately wasn't a cover story; the Boba show ended up literally being that because they took the existing plan and filmed a bunch of extra stuff about Baby Yoda overcoming PTSD while practicing his superpowers. The Baby Yoda plotline takes up nearly 50% of the runtime, but isn't integrated into the Boba narrative at all. There are, like, three scenes where the Manderlorian characters (Mando, Baby and Sedaris) are in the same room as the Boba characters.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I feel like the lack of Sequel era focus might partly be a result of the diminishing returns on the movies, but the Disney Star Wars stuff has been very protective of certain elements of the franchise, and seems to be "saving" them in case someone wants to make a show about them. We know that Coruscant was supposed to be in Episodes 7 and 9, and was kept off-limits for writers working in the post-OT era to allow the movies to show them first. Bothans have also been conspicuously absent from the franchise as well, presumably because someone might decide to make Rogue Two someday.

Disney probably doesn't want to do a canon reset on their own published material, so putting a big stop sign at the end of the Sequel Trilogy is probably just a way to make sure that whoever ends up making Episode X doesn't have to be beholden to another 20 years of EU stories.

That being said, based on a list of published Star Wars media on Wookieepedia, here's a breakdown of how much has been actually published per era since Episode 9 came out:

High Republic: 22%
Prequel / Clone Wars: 15%
Inter-Trilogy: 8%
Original Trilogy: 25%
New Republic: 13%
Sequel Trilogy: 17%

On the surface, it actually seems like the Sequels are the third most popular era behind the evergreen Original Trilogy and Lucasfilm's big High Republic push, but most of the Sequel stuff is geared towards kids as opposed to the higher profile projects that the other eras have, so it feels like there's less of it out there.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

stev posted:

Hell, bring back some of the seeds Rian Johnson planted before JJ smashed it all up. Show us more kids discovering the force with no Jedi around to guide/kidnap them. Show us more of the war profiteering class.

But all that stuff sounds boring who cares. They’re not characters anyone cares about at all

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's a bit of a different situation, because Disney had been planning a Boba Fett movie since at least early 2018, then began retooling it into a TV series sometime before Season 2 of Manderlorian was released.

Josh Trank apparently started developing his version of the story in tandem with the Rogue One people, so it probably goes back to at least 2014. Though just because they had ideas for a Boba Fett movie prior to the series, that doesn't make it the same project. To hear Jon Favreau talk about his experience pitching the Mando series:

Jon Favreau posted:

I dusted off some old ideas and characters from when I heard that Disney might be doing more Star Wars.

The idea of Boba Fett emerging from the sarlacc pit, or suggesting he had survived the sarlacc, was something that I wanted to see.

I don't know if I could have gone in there with a fresh pitch and said "I want to make a Boba Fett TV show." I figured starting off with something very simple and small and on the scale of the original Star Wars, the scale of the old Westerns, would leave us someplace to go.

After Kathy heard the pitch, she mentioned that Dave Filoni was thinking about doing something with the history of the Mandalorians. And I said "I know Dave. I love Dave."

We knew that Boba Fett was someone who was going to have to be dealt with at some point, especially considering that the first season was about a Mandalorian who is explicitly not Boba Fett.

The Lucasfilm Approved books that these quotes are from could absolutely be omitting details, but it seems like when Favreau pitched his show at the end of 2017, the Boba Fett character wasn't something he felt like he could access, and if Lucasfilm had said "actually we've been thinking about doing a Boba Fett movie", he likely would have gravitated towards that project. It's also possible that Filoni's ideas were for the cancelled Fett movie rather than his own thing.

Disney/Lucasfilm could also have re-activated whatever work had been done on Trank's project in reaction to Favreau's pitch and dovetailed that into the series once Solo killed the spinoff movies, but considering that the entire Mandalorian project came out of Favreau thinking "I really like Boba Fett but there's no way they'd let me do Boba Fett" it's hard to believe that he would make an an entire series of television based on someone else's story for the character (obviously not counting his partnership with Filoni and Rodriguez).

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I just don't see how you can use the arms dealers in disney wars (a big reason why introducing them at all was pretty dumb). The star wars being eternal and both sides having lots of toys is a feature not a bug. In fact the arms dealers are in some sense the true heroes of the setting from an endless trash POV

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

Anyway, my question is: is there some random EU story that goes into the deal with Palpatine's entourage of blue guy, rodian, and other guy? Its kinda cool that these three nameless, voiceless randos are in every important scene on Coruscant so I wonder if anyone ever did anything with that, or if Sheev just casually executes them or whatever.

Of course there are.

The Blue Guy is Mas Amedda, and was the Vice Chancellor for both Terence Stamp in Episode 1, and throughout the entirety of Palpatine's term. At some point he learned Palpatine was a Sith (in the Legends continuity it was before Episode I, but in the Disney canon it was after), and became Palpatine's willing puppet. He was pretty high ranking in the Empire, and in the Disney canon was the Grand Vizier of the Empire, basically becoming the de-facto Emperor after Palpatine's death until he signed a peace agreement with the New Republic, and for some loving reason was even allowed to maintain control of Coruscant.

The Rodian is Dar Wac. There isn't really much about him, but he was Palptaine's aide and liaison with the Jedi.

The Other Guy is actually a woman named Sly Moore. She was a Force sensitive Umbaran who was kidnapped as a child by Maul and groomed by Palpatine to be a Sith acolyte. She was colloquially known in the EU as the "Queen of the Empire" and was heavily rumored to be the mother of Triclops, Palpatine's deformed son.
In the Disney canon she doesn't have the creepy romantic connection to Palpatine, but has been a recurring character in the Darth Vader comics, and apparently is the person in charge of arranging assassination attempts against Vader to keep him on his toes.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 17, 2022

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I remember the spiky guy from episode 1 where he whispers to Valorum and Palpatine says "ah here we go, here come the bureaucrats" and then when Palpatine had that same guy working for him in episode 2 I figured he was working for Palpatine to undermine Valorum

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I always found it kind of funny how the empire was portrayed as so virulently human supremacist in legends but it slowly turned out upper management was full of non-humans because having one of the two factions not have any cool aliens in star wars was boring. Did disney continuity just throw out that element completely? Honestly, good if so

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Robot Style posted:

Disney/Lucasfilm could also have re-activated whatever work had been done on Trank's project in reaction to Favreau's pitch and dovetailed that into the series once Solo killed the spinoff movies, but considering that the entire Mandalorian project came out of Favreau thinking "I really like Boba Fett but there's no way they'd let me do Boba Fett" it's hard to believe that he would make an an entire series of television based on someone else's story for the character (obviously not counting his partnership with Filoni and Rodriguez).

In between Trank and Favreau, they were gearing up to do the Boba film with James Mangold as director. That’s what ended up morphing into the Boba TV show midway through 2018, and then that morphed into “Manderlorian Season 3”.

The proof is in the pudding: Book Of Boba is effectively just five episodes, yet still incredibly padded. And then, scenes like ‘blowing up the Sarlaac’ make absolutely no sense in context, and I presume are recycled from earlier versions.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I always found it kind of funny how the empire was portrayed as so virulently human supremacist in legends but it slowly turned out upper management was full of non-humans because having one of the two factions not have any cool aliens in star wars was boring. Did disney continuity just throw out that element completely? Honestly, good if so

I flipped through one of the nu-canon Thrawn comics the other day and they state that the Empire isn't anti-alien because they're racists, it's that the Separatists are made up of so many different worlds that just so happen to be filled with aliens because they just so happen to be closer to the outer rim. And ever since, the Empire has been wary of people from those worlds due to their potential Separatist connections. But not because they're racist!

It seemed to be stating this with no shred of irony or sense of self-awareness whatsoever.

The implication, of course, being that Disney doesn't want to have their unequivocal bad guys be racist because they need to sell Star Wars comics to racists to maximize profits.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The saying is "the proof of the pudding is in the eating". There wouldn't be any proof in an actual pudding

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In between Trank and Favreau, they were gearing up to do the Boba film with James Mangold as director. That’s what ended up morphing into the Boba TV show midway through 2018, and then that morphed into “Manderlorian Season 3”.

Unless Kathleen Kennedy is just straight-up lying, Mangold was never more than a rumor. In the same interview she was pretty open about their ideas for Rangers of the New Republic potentially being recycled for other shows, so it's strange that she would lie about it happening with Fett.

Could Mangold have been working on something for Star Wars? Absolutely. He ended up Directing Indy 5, so it's not like he doesn't have a working relationship with Lucasfilm. Maybe he was even being courted as a potential director for the Fett episodes of Mando before Rodriguez was hired.

I'll definitely put some of the bloating on Lucasfilm mismanaging the project - apparently it was only supposed to be 4 episodes before Covid pushed things back - but there's more evidence than not that the series' lower quality was the result of Favreau's fanboyism interfering with his storytelling, Filoni shoehorning his own OC's into the plot, and Rodriguez just being a sloppy filmmaker in general.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

They can be pretty easily ignored without bothering to retcon them. In terms of the setting, nothing of consequence really happened. Somehow, the Empire returned, and then after about a year they were gone again. The end.

The rest of the content is always going to gravitate toward 0 ABY, because that's when all the OT characters are still alive and in play to be teased for future cameos. If you want to put something in a far-off setting with more freedom, you could set it 500 years before the OT or 500 after and it would make functionally no difference.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Robot Style posted:

Unless Kathleen Kennedy is just straight-up lying, Mangold was never more than a rumor. In the same interview she was pretty open about their ideas for Rangers of the New Republic potentially being recycled for other shows, so it's strange that she would lie about it happening with Fett.

Could Mangold have been working on something for Star Wars? Absolutely. He ended up Directing Indy 5, so it's not like he doesn't have a working relationship with Lucasfilm. Maybe he was even being courted as a potential director for the Fett episodes of Mando before Rodriguez was hired.

I'll definitely put some of the bloating on Lucasfilm mismanaging the project - apparently it was only supposed to be 4 episodes before Covid pushed things back - but there's more evidence than not that the series' lower quality was the result of Favreau's fanboyism interfering with his storytelling, Filoni shoehorning his own OC's into the plot, and Rodriguez just being a sloppy filmmaker in general.

This is my beef considering he wrote every episode minus episode 6 which was co-written with Filoni. I just do not think Favreau is that great of a writer.

General Dog posted:

They can be pretty easily ignored without bothering to retcon them. In terms of the setting, nothing of consequence really happened. Somehow, the Empire returned, and then after about a year they were gone again. The end.

The rest of the content is always going to gravitate toward 0 ABY, because that's when all the OT characters are still alive and in play to be teased for future cameos. If you want to put something in a far-off setting with more freedom, you could set it 500 years before the OT or 500 after and it would make functionally no difference.

I mean I guess but they are setting up things like Luke's temple and all that poo poo and we know where that leads later (it failed and then Luke becomes a recluse). Its not just new empire stuff that returned you know. And lets just say they do it 500 years in the future, who are the characters? Most of the stuff I'm seeing for the tv stuff is all these cameos from popular characters from the past like Luke, Ahsoka, Boba fett, etc

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Favreau's never been a great writer or director. He was involved in Iron Man 1 and was incredibly lucky that it spawned one of the most lucrative media franchises of all time. Now Disney gives him everything and most of it ends up being mediocre or incredibly disappointing. He's not a good actor either.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I mean I guess but they are setting up things like Luke's temple and all that poo poo and we know where that leads later (it failed and then Luke becomes a recluse). Its not just new empire stuff that returned you know. And lets just say they do it 500 years in the future, who are the characters? Most of the stuff I'm seeing for the tv stuff is all these cameos from popular characters from the past like Luke, Ahsoka, Boba fett, etc

I've been told the main recurring character in all the disney stuff set in the far past is maz kanata. Presumably she can be around in anything they do in the far future too. She is eternal

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I've been told the main recurring character in all the disney stuff set in the far past is maz kanata. Presumably she can be around in anything they do in the far future too. She is eternal

drat that fuckin sucks lol

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

stev posted:

Favreau's never been a great writer or director. He was involved in Iron Man 1 and was incredibly lucky that it spawned one of the most lucrative media franchises of all time. Now Disney gives him everything and most of it ends up being mediocre or incredibly disappointing. He's not a good actor either.

I enjoyed Chef where he not only manages to make better beignets than anyone in New Orleans, and better barbecue than anyone in Austin, but in doing so repairs his relationship with his ex-wife Sofia Vergara while loving Scarlett Johansson.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

stev posted:

*pulls up to a cliff in Ach To, slams the brakes and rolls down the window just in time to shout nooo as Luke dies*

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Robot Style posted:

Of course there are.

This rocks! Genuinely surprised Sheev lived up to his end of the 'help me steal society' deal and set them all up with money and power, since 'now time for my EVIL betrayal' is usually the level of dark side nuance in SW

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Robot Style posted:

well i mean she said the EU didn't exist before so yeah she might be

“Every one of these movies is a particularly hard nut to crack,” said Kennedy. “There’s no source material. We don’t have comic books. we don’t have 800-page novels, we don’t have anything other than passionate storytellers who get together and talk about what the next iteration might be. We go through a really normal development process that everybody else does.”

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Our process is, uh, er, extremely normal

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

I mean, she's right. The question that preceded it is "Is this final entry in the trilogy a particularly hard nut to crack?", so she's specifically talking about plotting the Sequel Trilogy itself, not the franchise as a whole. When she says "there's no source material" she's comparing it to something like Lord of the Rings or Watchmen where it's adapting a specific story that already has all the beats laid out.

She's clearly aware of the Expanded Universe as a concept, because a few months before that interview, someone asked her about KOTOR and she said they were actively developing stuff related to it (allegedly the cancelled Benioff & Weiss project).

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The main thing focus groups didn't like about KOTOR was lack of Maz Kanata. And thus the high republic era was born

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

“Every one of these movies is a particularly hard nut to crack,” said Kennedy. “There’s no source material. We don’t have comic books. we don’t have 800-page novels, we don’t have anything other than passionate storytellers who get together and talk about what the next iteration might be. We go through a really normal development process that everybody else does.”

This is funny because they did actually have some source material, but they threw it away lmfao. Talking about George Lucas original treatment for the sequels he gave to disney

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

This is funny because they did actually have some source material, but they threw it away lmfao. Talking about George Lucas original treatment for the sequels he gave to disney

It's a crime against art that the world will never know the tale of Skylar Solo & Winkie vs Darth Maul and the World Crime League.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I want to know where George wanted to go with the Whills. Like ok, there are these little creatures that feed on the Force and what we think of as "the will of the Force" is actually these little creatures using the midichlorians to steer people like vehicles to get the best Force for themselves, but like... what's the ending to the story that explores that?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I know the winkie v. darth maul treatment has been more widely reported on, but I hope he gave disney the one set in the microscopic world instead

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think they were the same thing. Starting to tell a story about an underworld army amassing against an unstable new government and suddenly veering off to deal with microscopic god creatures is a very Lucas thing to do.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Well Kira/Qira still shows up in Solo at least

Robot Style posted:

It's a crime against art that the world will never know the tale of Skylar Solo & Winkie vs Darth Maul and the World Crime League.
Unironically :yeah:

https://twitter.com/Oozer/status/1316096777762803714
https://twitter.com/Oozer/status/1318725609284055040

2house2fly posted:

I want to know where George wanted to go with the Whills. Like ok, there are these little creatures that feed on the Force and what we think of as "the will of the Force" is actually these little creatures using the midichlorians to steer people like vehicles to get the best Force for themselves, but like... what's the ending to the story that explores that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wv7Li2V7S8

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 18, 2022

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
https://twitter.com/Oozer/status/1316132222471155718
I am still so loving annoyed that The Force Awakens didn't end with her going off on a journey to find Luke, it's just like "Well here's Luke"
Fuckin' trash. (Though really, maybe that journey should have been the movie instead of the poorly edited heap we got)
I'm still amazed people were invested enough to be disappointed by TLJ or RotS. There was nowhere to go but downhill.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The fact TFA and TLJ take place within the same spitting distance of one another makes telling stories around them difficult

Granted, Forces of Destiny crammed an episode into TLJ's runtime, so anything goes at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vinylshadow posted:

Granted, Forces of Destiny crammed an episode into TLJ's runtime, so anything goes at this point
Several episodes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdHf9KkVkno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjxLBUhEIHI