Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The helmets were such a payoff for the entire episode. I legitimately never would have even considered writing the poo poo Gunn does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

DeNomolos posted:

loved the finale, glad my guesses about Auggie being the first helmet ghost, and the butterflies being a group that wants to stop global warming by controlling us

What's this about Auggie being the "first helmet ghost"? Like, I know he's a figment of Peacemaker's mind, but are you saying he's a projection of a helmet or something?

I am often very dumb, I should note.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

People have survived a lot more poo poo than movies show. There’s plenty of people who were shot to hell but still made it.

Those are outliers, though, in the same way that people have died from stubbing their toes.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

thrawn527 posted:

What's this about Auggie being the "first helmet ghost"? Like, I know he's a figment of Peacemaker's mind, but are you saying he's a projection of a helmet or something?

It's an unforseen interaction between the Sonic Boom helmet's Alexa and his smart neck bomb. It got out and is living inside his brain stem now.

Edit: Stuff that actually happened on screen; ghost dad appeared at the spot the helmet got dropped on.

Edit2:

Crusader posted:

it’s from the comics
oh

itry fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 17, 2022

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

it’s from the comics

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

itry posted:

It's an unforseen interaction between the Sonic Boom helmet's Alexa and his smart neck bomb. It got out and is living inside his brain stem now.

Edit: Stuff that actually happened on screen; ghost dad appeared at the spot the helmet got dropped on.

Edit2:

oh

Oh. Yeah, I'm gonna say that conclusion is definitely not on screen. Yet. You're probably right that they may reveal that in the future, but that definitely is not established in the show yet, no matter what the comics have done.

edit: If anything, that may be a pretty huge spoiler, if they go that route in the show.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Enjoyed the journey, not sure about some of the destination. Show very solid and good but maybe not AMAZING.

Ghost dad being a thing seems kinda meh, I'm annoyed Harcourt survived (that was a lot of blood out of her mouth with no medical assistance), still digesting the morals and characterisation of Peacemaker instantly genociding the butterflies even if the scene played out well (i mean, it was reverse genocide, for every one of them they'all killed at least one human, but like...still digesting this).

What I can't figure out is - was the cow a victim or an accomplice? It looked like a prisoner last episode and during the milking, but then it looked sympathetic in the end, and Goff said it helped them.

Wait, do actual cows look like prisoners when they're being milked?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

VagueRant posted:

I've got some really bad news for you.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The cow got butterflied, that’s pretty funny.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
It's been discussed in spoiler tags in the thread previously, but seeing as how gunn has been adapting without wholesale recreating, it seems more like a way to display something that is like a trait in the comics without doing the full blown version the comics does. Like how Adrian isn't a district attorney, but the portrayal is still very much in the heart of Vigilante from the comics without being a complete retread. Relating the helmets to visions of Auggie because he created them is the most reasonable way to bring peacemaker believing his helmet is haunted by everyone he killed without making it silly. However, this could also set up a Flagg cameo down the line to really tap into the regret Peacemaker felt about killing him

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

VagueRant posted:

Enjoyed the journey, not sure about some of the destination. Show very solid and good but maybe not AMAZING.

Ghost dad being a thing seems kinda meh, I'm annoyed Harcourt survived (that was a lot of blood out of her mouth with no medical assistance), still digesting the morals and characterisation of Peacemaker instantly genociding the butterflies even if the scene played out well (i mean, it was reverse genocide, for every one of them they'all killed at least one human, but like...still digesting this).

What I can't figure out is - was the cow a victim or an accomplice? It looked like a prisoner last episode and during the milking, but then it looked sympathetic in the end, and Goff said it helped them.

Not saying you're wrong about the cow, just a little context to maybe help with digesting the episode however you wish, they said their planet was dying, and when they came to Earth, they brought the cow to Earth to feed them. So the cow would have died on their planet, too, presumably. And the cow would have died in 100 years (though this is a long life span, it's not long for a species as a whole, since it can't reproduce on its own...presumably). But it was saved from extinction to keep the butterflies alive, and then killed by Peacemaker to stop the butterflies from staying on Earth where they would keep killing and controlling humans.

A pretty mixed bag, I'd say.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 17, 2022

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It’s very much a morally grey ending. None of the characters are pure, regardless of their side, so it wouldn’t be right for the ending to be a clear-cut good one. Everyone has developed but probably isn’t at their endpoint, and season 2 has a lot to work with.

It’s a pretty perfect finale to me. Season 2 is set up but it also would work as completely self-contained if they didn’t get renewed.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
It is odd to remember James Gunn even tried to give Starro a bit of pathos with the 'I was happy floating in space and staring at the stars'.

On a lighter note, there were some absolutely sick stunts. When he chops the guys legs up in the air with the shield and then domes him mid-air?!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Adebayo's first human torpedo is one of the best pieces of physical comedy I've ever seen

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

VagueRant posted:

It is odd to remember James Gunn even tried to give Starro a bit of pathos with the 'I was happy floating in space and staring at the stars'.

On a lighter note, there were some absolutely sick stunts. When he chops the guys legs up in the air with the shield and then domes him mid-air?!

That whole battle was incredible. Dozens of stunt performers just getting to fling themselves all over the field and show off how many flips they can do per headshot.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I can't believe they did the Justice League cameo, that was awesome. Overall, a great finale. I am another poster that had low expectations for this show and ended up loving it.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Peacemaker just whipping out a giant shield and started taking out guys better than captain america. Best moment however Adebayo tearing up after Chris said she was his best friend, after Eagley

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-studios-dc-peacemaker-finale-film

Gunn got the Marvel and DC film crews to help with his simultaneous projects.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
the staircase construction was bugging me but they addressed that and I felt a lot better

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1494008738268823562

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

chitoryu12 posted:

It’s very much a morally grey ending.

Ehh.

The very first thing, THE VERY FIRST THING, the butterflies did when they got to Earth was massacre a poo poo ton of unknowing and blameless humans. Like, as horrifying as the scene where Vigilante whistles as he snipes Goff's kids, we now know that those kids were murdered, cored-out meat suits for a couple of butterflies; however abstractly noble their ultimate goals, the butterflies were starting from a sub-Vigilante level of ethics. Nothing good would have possibly come from their plan.

*Puts on his "Peacemaker Did Nothing Wrong" t-shirt*

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Ehh.

The very first thing, THE VERY FIRST THING, the butterflies did when they got to Earth was massacre a poo poo ton of unknowing and blameless humans. Like, as horrifying as the scene where Vigilante whistles as he snipes Goff's kids, we now know that those kids were murdered, cored-out meat suits for a couple of butterflies; however abstractly noble their ultimate goals, the butterflies were starting from a sub-Vigilante level of ethics. Nothing good would have possibly come from their plan.

*Puts on his "Peacemaker Did Nothing Wrong" t-shirt*

"We destroyed our own homeworld with our own bad management, and that's why we should be the ones making all the decisions on this planet even if it means we have to gruesomely murder a bunch of innocents to do so."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

According to a study published today in the journal Science, 46% of bald eagles are suffering from lead poisoning. This must be why Eagly didn't drop the helmet on-target. It's truly tragic seeing him succumb to the disease that haunts his species.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I can’t be happy enough that these guys are in their 50s and singing this well and
James Gunn singlehandedly took them from an obscure failure to a worldwide success.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hobo Clown posted:

"We destroyed our own homeworld with our own bad management, and that's why we should be the ones making all the decisions on this planet even if it means we have to gruesomely murder a bunch of innocents to do so."

Also, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, The threat of climate apocalypse is to life on Earth. The planet isn't going anywhere. Massacring the human race does not solve the problem of the human race facing doom from its own actions. And they've already shown willingness to take over other species, so it's not like non-human animals would necessarily be any better off.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Most of the cast was really good. But more than anything, I hope Annie Chang gets some mayor roles after this. Both of her characters where amazing. It's kind of sad that she wont return in season 2. Unless Gunn would consider something stupid like a twin sister.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It’s the comics business baby, dumber things can and will happen.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Warbird posted:

It’s the comics business baby, dumber things can and will happen.

She will show up at the beginning of next season with a concussion and a broken clavicle.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Season 2 is going to be about Peacemaker getting a time machine so he can go back and save her

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I do wonder why Economos goes back to work at Bell Reve. He could make a decent living as a computer toucher with nowhere near the amount of bullshit. Everyone else was either addressed or a career Operative. How the hell did he even get in Amanda Waller's orbit?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

DeNomolos posted:

Like how Adrian isn't a district attorney, but the portrayal is still very much in the heart of Vigilante from the comics without being a complete retread.

Watch when there's a scene in season 2 where he randomly info-dumps about obscure legal precedent "What I have a law degree, I had dreams before my tragic backstory you know"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

I do wonder why Economos goes back to work at Bell Reve. He could make a decent living as a computer toucher with nowhere near the amount of bullshit. Everyone else was either addressed or a career Operative. How the hell did he even get in Amanda Waller's orbit?

I'm really glad all the non-Peacemaker backstories were done as exposition without flashbacks. I watched some Doom Patrol and bounced off because it just got so maudlin and exhausting to have 10 minutes of weird cartoony plot and 50 minutes of weepy and unnecessary flashback.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Hello I am Sophie Song's identical twin sister, Landfill"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Warbird posted:

So what was even the point of Judomaster anyway?

I think the actor mentioned in an interview that the role got expanded during filming. I guess they just went "poo poo that was great, let's just have this dude keep turning up and randomly beating the crap out of people"

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Do we know if the cow squeezings have an expiration date? If Goff is the only butterfly left they could presumably last a while on the existing barrels as Peacemaker's second favorite non-verbal animal sidekick.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

thrawn527 posted:

Fun person for them to fight that wasn't just another Butterfly to mix things up, and prove that the Butterflies can just reason with people. Also, he was entertaining in his own right. And I'm sure he'll be back and pissed next season.

My question is, how the gently caress is he still alive? They never really explained that, and I was expecting them to. I guess he's just another super of some kind, but I thought it was going to at least come up.

He's a martial artist, he can move his organs around

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

Adebayo's first human torpedo is one of the best pieces of physical comedy I've ever seen

*Clunk*

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Warbird posted:

So what was even the point of Judomaster anyway?

It's all a secret brand placement ad for hot cheetos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hobo Clown posted:

Do we know if the cow squeezings have an expiration date? If Goff is the only butterfly left they could presumably last a while on the existing barrels as Peacemaker's second favorite non-verbal animal sidekick.
I guess she could keep on living on some of what was left, but there are other butterflies other than the ones that were present on that field (all over the world probably). It'll probably take weeks, but they're all going to starve. Unless they somehow find or create a new food source. Or go back home I guess.

itry fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 18, 2022