Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Insert "felt his presents" joke here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/juanluissays/status/1493203742090481664

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
drat it woulda been so cool to be Christopher Lee’s stand in. I wonder if he got to meet him

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

indigi posted:

drat it woulda been so cool to be Christopher Lee’s stand in. I wonder if he got to meet him

https://twitter.com/juanluissays/status/1493246897024208901

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I know I shouldn't be surprised but I am that Lucas went with the tried and true stand-in solution rather than trying to have a CGI Christopher Lee for those shots.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

gently caress yeah

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Hulk Smash! posted:

I know I shouldn't be surprised but I am that Lucas went with the tried and true stand-in solution rather than trying to have a CGI Christopher Lee for those shots.

It was likely still on the table. They were already doing face replacements for Lee's stunt double during the fights, so it may have been shot with the idea of not using the stand-in's face if it didn't hold up.

Though it wouldn't be the first time the prequels would just use a really obvious stand-in for a famous actor.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
that's jace tindu

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Samuel M. Jackson

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Robot Style posted:

It was likely still on the table. They were already doing face replacements for Lee's stunt double during the fights, so it may have been shot with the idea of not using the stand-in's face if it didn't hold up.

Though it wouldn't be the first time the prequels would just use a really obvious stand-in for a famous actor.

Hey, it was good enough for Donny

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Stand-ins are the actors who stand on the actor's marks between shots (and sometimes takes) so the director and DP can dial in lighting, focus, camera moves, blocking, and framing. They don't appear on camera and make a little bit more than a SAG background actor (extra)

Photo doubles are actors who appear on camera as principal actors (sometimes for just specific body parts or for size mismatches like hobbits in LotR) when the actor can't do a shot due to scheduling or whatever. (Sometimes the principal is just lazy and doesn't want to do wide or reverse shots lol) PDs make stand in rate.

Stunt doubles are photo doubles that do stunts the principal can't/shouldn't/doesn't want to do. They get stunt scale (a little less than principal rate) and up.

If anyone was curious

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Robot Style posted:

https://youtu.be/iwV61t_Tec8

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

theflyingexecutive posted:

Stand-ins are the actors who stand on the actor's marks between shots (and sometimes takes) so the director and DP can dial in lighting, focus, camera moves, blocking, and framing.

Jackie Chan, in his book, and talking about Rush Hour, was amazed at how wasteful Hollywood movies are because they hired a stand-in for him, and he was like "I'm right here!"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Davros1 posted:

Jackie Chan, in his book, and talking about Rush Hour, was amazed at how wasteful Hollywood movies are because they hired a stand-in for him, and he was like "I'm right here!"

Jackie Chan is a very frugal man though. Instead of buying a punching bag he had a son.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
forgot I had this until recently:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Davros1 posted:

Having watched the end credits for Police Stories 1, 2 & 3 I wouldn’t trust that man on any kind of safety or wastefulness discussion

“Michelle Yeoh’s character falls from a moving bus to a car in this scene? Pull that car up here!”

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

devmd01 posted:

forgot I had this until recently:

I have to admit, I had to look it up to see whether that was John or Billy Dee. Either way, very cool.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

smh the self described communist trying to deprive a laborer of their job. makes me loving sick

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Nheme9Q.mp4

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

That is rad as hell.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

:neckbeard: So wizard.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I want it :stare:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Apparently you could do something similar on the N64 version by plugging in two controllers and using one stick for each engine.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Robot Style posted:

Apparently you could do something similar on the N64 version by plugging in two controllers and using one stick for each engine.

I used to love podracing in the cockpit view, but never tried it like this. I wonder how you're supposed to do the boost and the brakes

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Considering how the podracing game is on PC now, you could probably set it up to have some kind of similar controls. A lot of fancy joystick peripherals come with a throttle lever for your other hand.

Would probably take a lot of finagling though.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

If you had a dualshock for the playstation version, you used each joystick for an engine. I loved that control scheme

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
My local bar/arcade got one of those sit-down Episode I Racer machines a few years ago (they didn't retrofit it with a nice new flatscreen, though.) Like every other game in the place it was set to 1 credit per quarter, but it still had a big yellow "1 PLAY/$1" sticker on the cabinet from when it was a new release, which tricked drunk dudes without fail. They'd pump a fistful of quarters into the thing, play a game or two and move on to another machine. Thing probably paid for itself in a week.

Speleothing posted:

I used to love podracing in the cockpit view, but never tried it like this. I wonder how you're supposed to do the boost and the brakes

Z-triggers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JethroMcB posted:

My local bar/arcade got one of those sit-down Episode I Racer machines a few years ago (they didn't retrofit it with a nice new flatscreen, though.) Like every other game in the place it was set to 1 credit per quarter, but it still had a big yellow "1 PLAY/$1" sticker on the cabinet from when it was a new release, which tricked drunk dudes without fail. They'd pump a fistful of quarters into the thing, play a game or two and move on to another machine. Thing probably paid for itself in a week.
Money well spent :colbert:

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

I thought this was a luge simulator for a moment.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Racer_Arcade

This was fun but my favorite was Star Wars Trilogy arcade:

https://youtu.be/a9a049ngdDE

So many quarters wasted in this.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Cartoon Man posted:

Hell yeah this thing ruled

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Unironically the best thing out of Episode I. Lucky enough to find a few in the wild as a kid and it plays really well.

Cartoon Man posted:

Also a classic. Seriously the framerate is like loving butter. How tf did they do that?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Arcade emulators.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

Arcade emulators.

No like back in the day. It was noticeably smoother and crisper than other poo poo-- even other SEGA Model 3s didn't look as smooth. It was a $0.75 ride and you'd often get cheaped out but it was worth it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cartoon Man posted:

I had my name or initials at #1 on like 15 different of those machines across the various parks and hotels in Disney World for years. I haven’t played it in like 15 years, but I can still instinctively remember half the spots to lead the targets to get them as soon as they appeared on the screen.

That game loving owned and I wish some place close to me had it to play again or it was online somewhere decently.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

fartknocker posted:

That game loving owned and I wish some place close to me had it to play again or it was online somewhere decently.

:ssh: The emulator you're looking for is called "Supermodel".

Star Wars Trilogy plays surprisingly well with a light gun (even the lightsaber duel parts, with a bit of practice), or, failing that, a mouse (which is more or less what a lightgun is on modern systems).

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Napoleon Nelson posted:

If you had a dualshock for the playstation version, you used each joystick for an engine. I loved that control scheme
There was no PlayStation version of Episode 1 Racer, just N64, Dreamcast and PC (and Game Boy Color, but that was obviously a very different game with 2D top-down gameplay). A PlayStation port was announced shortly after the N64 version's release (with some PlayStation magazines gloating about this game finally coming to a real console, because it was the 90s) but never came out. I don't know how much of the game was done by the time LucasArts quietly cancelled it.

Star Wars Racer Revenge did come out on the PS2 a few years later, though, and you could use the dual analog setup in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Huh, there I was thinking I played Episode 1 Racer on Playstation 2 all those years ago. I must have conflated the various versions and Starfighter somehow.