Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Total War Warhammer 3: We let an intern design the tray icon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Cathay cool, game good. Taking my time and playing like an old man with responsibilities on the side but on VH/N and minor settlement fights really making me think and do moment to moment "I want to win" micro. Would be getting my poo poo slapped on legendary. The towers are annoying for the part of your brain that wants to take your time and not suffer attrition but it makes the map control really engaging. And if 4 iron hails focus on the same tower it dissolves, lol. Nice that arc fire and short range shooters get a SP niche boost with all the tight corridors and intricate minor settlement map design.

Kinda see how Tzeentch is strong as hell but it's a lopsided strong. Taking Teracota Graveyard was tough but within acceptable losses. Barriers are proportional to remaining health the tool-tip says. Day 1 patch change? Also most Tzeentch units have sub 20 armor, getting yeeted by cheap peasant bowmen doesn't speak well to barrier shenanigans. A MP concern?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

*Heavy Breathing Intensifies*

What is that giant landmass East of what is presumably Ind?

It might be Nippon, but THICCCC. We always assumed Nippon was analogous to Japan, but actually there's no reason it cant be more Australia-sized. Nothing in the fluff prevents that.

Edit: It might also be Kuresh, which makes more sense. Snake-people might be a cool addition, but who knows.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 17, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ad090 posted:

Found in the game files:

This would be amazing, way beyond what I considered the most likely combined map. It would still need some kind of teleport or theater mechanic to make going from Lustria to Cathay for example not take dozens of turns. I guess if the chaos rift spawns are also part of the combined map, that would be one solution. But combined with the settlement names found in the files, I'm super stoked for Immortal Empires!

Noonsa posted:

Why do people in this thread call it Immortal Empires? It's Mortal Empires. Is there a reference I'm missing?

It's simply the fan name of the combined map, to distinguish the WH2 combined map (Mortal Empires) from the WH3 combined map. Also, the WH2 map mostly had empires of mortals, while there are way more immortals in WH3 (all the chaos factions plus Cathay).

Edit:

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

*Heavy Breathing Intensifies*

Oh man, are those even provinces down on Chaosarctica?

What is that giant landmass East of what is presumably Ind?

This gets my hope up that the Mortal Empires 3 map will be circular. You've got the entire map, one big projection. I'm not sure the engine can handle a big rotating map though. :(

This was an overlay of the WH3 map over an old Warhammer Fantasy world map from Games Workshop:

So that's not Nippon but indeed Kuresh, as one poster speculated.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 17, 2022

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It’s kind of funny how some of the game 2 epilogues feature N’kari plotting a big move, and his game 3 bio makes note of his vendetta against Tyrion and Teclis, but because game 3 happens before game 2, none of that will technically pay off unless you make it happen on the sandbox map. N’Kari’s quest battle has him fight High Elves lead by a generic lord and not the twins, and a screenshot of N’Kari’s epilogue I saw on Reddit shows his thoughts now turning to the twins, who he will still just be thinking about in the epilogue to the next chronological game.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 17, 2022

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Oh drat, starting as chaos undivided and there's just soooo much stuff to pick. I dunno where to even begin with what to focus on.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Game owns so far, couple small issues/bugs:

Campaign map - what happened to the trees?
Steam Overlay offsets my mouse to a different resolution than the game when clicking things (I'm at 1440)
Snow Leopards are not nearly strong enough.

That's it so far, playing a release day TW game on a 1070, 4th gen intel cpu at high+ >60fps.

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 17, 2022

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Torrannor posted:

This would be amazing, way beyond what I considered the most likely combined map. It would still need some kind of teleport or theater mechanic to make going from Lustria to Cathay for example not take dozens of turns. I guess if the chaos rift spawns are also part of the combined map, that would be one solution. But combined with the settlement names found in the files, I'm super stoked for Immortal Empires!
Maybe they'll make it round

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
TW 3 fun so far! Even if I got a bad start with Greasus because I didn't place my camp until like turn 16...

Nitpick: I hate that saves don't overwrite by default any more.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Sinteres posted:

I'd generally probably recommend Warhammer 2 for newbies over 3, despite the prologue campaign in 3, but yeah if Chaos is your thing you're definitely going to want 3. It has all four monogod daemon factions plus undivided. 1 had chaos warriors, norsca, and beastmen, but chaos warriors and norsca aren't really in the best shape, and going all the way back to 1 to play them (or getting both 1 and 2 to play them on the combined map) is just a lot of effort when you can go ahead and start 3 instead, and beastmen didn't get good until 2 so playing them in 1 would be garbage too.

Neat.

So…uh…in Total War games are there like instant fail states? Will I be generally successful if I run the tutorial campaign, play main campaigns on “normal” difficultly, be mindful with liberal use of the pause function? Strategy games seem like one of the last bastions of “unequivocally the best to play on PC”, or in most cases are only on PC, and I’ve been interested in diving back in for awhile. Variety is the spice of life and all.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
This game owns. The intro campaign was amazing and I'm currently kicking rear end as Kislev! :black101:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Anti-Hero posted:

Neat.

So…uh…in Total War games are there like instant fail states? Will I be generally successful if I run the tutorial campaign, play main campaigns on “normal” difficultly, be mindful with liberal use of the pause function? Strategy games seem like one of the last bastions of “unequivocally the best to play on PC”, or in most cases are only on PC, and I’ve been interested in diving back in for awhile. Variety is the spice of life and all.

The only failure state is if you pick far too many fights at once. As long as you have a secure home province and a few turns to rebuild you can try again even if your best army gets deleted. The primary difficulty of higher campaign difficulty in TWWH2 is managing the numbers of foes you're at war with and how many angles you can be attacked from while you build your game winning momentum. It's also why some factions are drastically harder, a few campaign map misplays on the like of Norsca guarantees a painful death spiral.

I don't want to spoil too much for you so I give you a really strong bit of newbie advice: DO NOT declare war on somebody in early game(before turn 50-100) because "eh, why not." I know border gore is offensive to the eye but you gotta clean your plate, so to speak. All my early problems came from pure greed and overextending.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Anti-Hero posted:

Neat.

Not really. You are going to be snowballing towards either victory or defeat and its usually easy to see the latter coming.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

The prologue plot feels like a intentional homage to another rts

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

good performance, feels a bit smoother than even 2, really fast turn times

the AI feels like it has learned some new tricks based on faction, ogres use mass to push into your backline, tzeentch spams magic actually pretty effectively
some minor factions feel really hapless on the campaign side, like they won't even properly recruit chaff stacks, might be intentional and depend on campaign ofc

settlement battles are a nice change, but the maps (at least around Cathay) are probably a bit too elaborate and grindy for a paint-the-map campaign
they will probably make for great battles in mp
ran into one pathfinding problem, AI here is not spectacular but not horrible either
overall much more engaging than the previous version, there's a lot more to do than just drawing up ranged units + wizard outside tower range and deleting AI units one by one as they shuffle around

miao ying's campaign feels like it has a nice mix of things to do and things to pressure you at least at the start, we'll see around turn 100
her brother is an idiot who can't even secure a second city for himself while she's already throwing chaos hordes back from the bastion
you have to be really careful with the Cathay bombardment army abilty you get from the compass, as it's not totally accurate
and will happily delete both your own unit and the enemies they're engaging, recommend using with the ancestor summon

initial impression is like 9.5/10, if DLC manages to hit the same high notes as the best stuff from 2, I might not play other videogames ever again

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Flavahbeast posted:

Warcraft 3 and Arthas I assume?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Flavahbeast posted:

Yeah, when Yuri went Goth and sacrificed his brother with his evil magic sword I was like "we get it, you played Command and Conquer: Red Alert."

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Dr Christmas posted:

It’s kind of funny how some of the game 2 epilogues feature N’kari plotting a big move, and his game 3 bio makes note of his vendetta against Tyrion and Teclis, but because game 3 happens before game 2, none of that will technically pay off unless you make it happen on the sandbox map. N’Kari’s quest battle has him fight High Elves lead by a generic lord and not the twins and a screenshot of N’Kari’s epilogue I saw on Reddit shows his thoughts now turning to the twins, who he will still just be thinking about in the next chronological game in the series ends.

Well N'Kari beefed with Anearion way way back, and I think N'Kari's beef with Tyrion and Teclis happened way before any of the games.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Man, these fat bois are HUNGRY. Gotta watch that meat consumption lol

Can't just run around with a full stack without any cares.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I am absolutely loving the fact that you can just spawn an army to fight you if you're bored as Khorne.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

dangling pointer posted:

Wow thanks for the detailed response! Your explanation and the first battle in the prologue made me realize your right there is a lot of mechanics/ information to take in. A little more in depth than micro zerglings to harass early, should be fun to learn. Thanks for the tips.

I’ll definitely be utilizing the pause button a lot. In general is turtling a valid strategy? Building up infrastructure while slowly expanding until I can make one big push?

e: this game is surprisingly GPU intensive, it’s making my 3060ti hotter than anything else I’ve played. What’s this about unit size? Do I want them big or little?

So many replies since I went to bed, hopefully you end up seeing this!

If you're coming to Warhammer from a Starcraft background, you've actually got a good mental model ready for your use: "as much econ as I can get away with and not die, use scouts to find out what's happening on the map, don't overextend, and build up a composition that will break what you're going to fight next." Exactly how much econ that is will vary every single game, depending on your race, the campaign difficulty setting, and what happens with the AI's wars against each other, but that's something you'll get a feel for over time.

Re: turtling, it is for some factions. In Warhammer 3, Nurgle seems built to crawl methodically across the map, consolidating his gains and basically doing the opposite of snowballing. Tzeentch might be good for this too depending on how his "gently caress with other factions with my special resource" ability works, I haven't looked into that too closely. Khorne and Slaanesh are about tempo and you absolutely do not want to turtle with them. Cathay I know very little about, but one of their lords starts up next to the Great Bastion fortress, so holding that against Chaos could be fun. We'll see rather more turtle-y factions when the gigantic Immortal Empires map is out in a few months, Dwarves in particular.

In general though, you don't want to take a defensive, consolidating posture until you have to. Early on, every major faction is surrounded by weak minor factions ("minors") for them to gobble up and start their economic engines running, and you absolutely want to expand aggressively and absorb everything smaller than you until you hit the limits of what you can safely take - which is to say, your territory starts to border another major power. If that power is hostile (or you intend to make them hostile), you'll usually need to stop for a few turns, building up something that is suited to taking on a serious enemy with walled cities, and tweaking your armies to deal with whatever bullshit you expect to face. If the power you run in to is a useful ally, then you have some turns of buildup as you march your troops over to a different front. Don't neglect that diplomacy, either! This is going to be a much bigger deal in Immortal Empires when there will be a lot more factions to play Marry/gently caress/Kill with, but even now trade deals are quite valuable, and secure borders even moreso. That said, be careful about who you make full-blown Military Alliances with: they can and will pull you into wars you don't want, so a Defensive Alliance is often preferable unless you're a position to make good on your commitment to your allies.

Note that a lot of this advice might out the window at high difficulties, where constant aggression for nearly the entire game can be the norm because the alternative to not expanding constantly was death in Warhammer 2 - we'll see what Warhammer 3 is like in that regard.

Re: unit sizes, the game is balanced around the default unit size (which is apparently Ultra now), and changing sizes does have a meaningful impact on how the fights play out; the TLDR is that you probably want to play Ultra if your PC is good with it, or Large if you want to give it a break. Unit size has a lot of repercussions that aren't immediately obvious. Like, larger unit sizes make magic stronger, because instead of a howling death-vortex hitting only a third of the unit before its randomized movement makes it goes haring off into the sunset, it will often hit the entire unit and inflict devastating damage. Certain lords and other solo fighters ("single-entity models") without big sweeping AoE attacks get worse on higher unit sizes because because they're massively overkilling each individual dude they hit, but there's just So Many Dudes. Another wrinkle for Warhammer 3 is that I suspect Ultra-sized units are going to have more trouble navigating the city maps, where pathfinding can already get difficult.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Randallteal posted:

Yeah, when Yuri went Goth and sacrificed his brother with his evil magic sword I was like "we get it, you played Command and Conquer: Red Alert."

lmao

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

fyi you can get ogres on game pass:

confirmed working

queeb fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 17, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I really don't understand the campaign tiering. For Kislev, you can get every unit at tier 4 except for Ice Guard(Spears) - which are available at T4 with a building in Kislev - and the Elemental Bear, which, fair, it's their capstone giant monster.

Cathay needs to wait until T5 for Terracotta Sentinels(fair, it's their capstone giant monster), Longma Riders(uhh what? why???), and the Sky Junk(which, uh, it's a worse fire rain rocket battery that flies very very slowly).

It sucks because Longmas are the only mobility option for Cathay that's worth a single poo poo and god almighty am I getting tired of doing town battles without more of them because the maps are so goddamned big and Jade Warriors are so goddamned slow.

(Incidentally I think their answer to "no one uses cavalry in campaign" is "make the settlement maps the size of Siberia so marching infantry across them takes 25 minutes")

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 17, 2022

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I've played 3 hours and had 3 CTD's. Game has been good other than that but I think I've had my pre major patch fun for now.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Flavahbeast posted:

ya it fuckin owns.

i've been deliberately starving myself of most info for WH3 but its clear they've put a lot of effort into ui and presentation. it sure is purty

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
the pathfinding and movement AI seems extremely broken, way more than normal.
combining this with every minor settlement battle being on a city map is going to be fun

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Been so long since I played without a 'Less Agents' mod and boy oh boy I can't wait for that

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Really, really hoping that the big map is something like what that datamined map entails. GO BIG OR GO HOME.

Also, holy poo poo I actually have to pay attention to diplomacy now wtf. It's like... useful. WHAT THE poo poo. :allears:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Unit pathing feels so buggy, it really ruins most of the battles for me right now

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Performance seems all right, about what I'd expect with my now-outdated card. I'm on a 1070/i5-6600k machine and I'm getting around the same performance on Ultra graphics/large unit size as I do in Ham2, with TAA and Fog to Low. Assuming comparability, I ran a full stack of emp spears v emp spears on 2, then one with a similar Cathay makeup. In fact, the latter actually has more models then their Western counterpart, and while the framerate dips a little lower on average, it somehow seems smoother if that makes sense. Gonna check out both games' benchmarks next.

Two things tho:
1)Blood DLC not working yet? Booooooo!
2)Can you not turn off unit outlines in this one? I hate them and desperately want them gone again.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh wait, thank Christ, you *can* turn them off you just have to do it in battle.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Campaign map performance seems... iffy on my 1080 (resolution 2560x1080). Not unplayable, but noticeably low. I'm gonna have to play with settings more. Battles are fine, though, no problems there.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

reminder to my beloved fellow gamers to update drivers if you havent yet

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
When the no fog or less fog mods come out, FPS on campaign map will jump way up.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Every settlement battle becomes a slog. My ogres just get stuck on literally everything and the fighting becomes such a sloggy mess

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Does anyone else dislike the minor settlement battles? I find them super tedious and boring. Which is bad news because like 90% of my battles are settlement battles.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I haven’t played this yet but minor settlement battles in 3K were more fun than field battles imo. It’s fun having to use multiple small armies rather than one big line. They’re also more mentally taxing though so i usually had shorter play sessions on that game.

I also enjoy infantry grinds, though.

Anno fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 17, 2022

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The trick with the settlement battles is to split your dudes up and use different entrances, if you try to all blob through the same way everything gets hung up on everything else and it turns to poo poo

I quite like them so far but it definitely requires a different approach than field battles

I'm a basic idiot so my first campaign is kislev, enjoying it so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Played for two hours with auto resolve, first battle I have to fight the game locks up and won’t load the battle.