Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dr Christmas posted:

I got it unpacked last night, but just clicked through some menus before going to bed.

It confirmed that Cathay characters don’t have quest battles for legendary items. I wonder why that happened.

They're so strong that they don't really need anything, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

What the gently caress is it about the campaign map that uses up so much GPU? Every 'end turn' sends my graphics card wheezing and groaning, yet the actual battles seem to run with like half as much GPU. Is this just insanely poor optimizaiton? What the gently caress?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's actually to encourage you all to just fight all the time.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Is it me or are special buildings less cool
In this one. Only have the one +-80 skarbrand game to go off atm. Also i want old chaos to get updated as soon as possible.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Is the salutara song in it? I have been salutara'ing for 15 years and I look forward to 15 more.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Can't wait for a mod that removes some of the capture point maps. I get that it's nice to mix it up but every settlement battle makes it really difficult to use cavalry.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
The game seems to perform ok but my laptop sure is loud 100% of the time like it's never been on any other game I can think of. Also my game doesn't crash on alt tab but it sure feels like it's going to crash while it takes 10 years to find the desktop. This was only up to the second battle of the prologue. Reminds me of playing strategy games on sub par machines as a teenager.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

I was checking out what GeForce Experience thinks I should be playing at out of habit and noticed this was the default name for it? Monkey King DLC Confirmed?!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I’ve never played a Total War game. The last “modern” RTS games I played were XCOM 1 & 2 and…uh….Company of Heroes 1. I like the aesthetic of Warhammer, is diving into the 3rd one viable or would I need to consider playing the first two titles?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The quest battles were anyway pretty awkward. I've only seen the Benchmark, but did they ever add something like the skulls to the land area?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Anti-Hero posted:

I’ve never played a Total War game. The last “modern” RTS games I played were XCOM 1 & 2 and…uh….Company of Heroes 1. I like the aesthetic of Warhammer, is diving into the 3rd one viable or would I need to consider playing the first two titles?

3 comes with a 2-5 hour prologue narrative tutorial campaign that's pretty comprehensive so frankly it's the best one to start with.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Anti-Hero posted:

They pretty much just build on one another. The only reasons to get the other two are because you want to play as their races or you want to play on their unique campaign maps. Well, there might be another reason to get 2 specifically, and that's that the 3rd game is more buggy and doesn't have the big, combined map yet.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

ultrachrist posted:

The game seems to perform ok but my laptop sure is loud 100% of the time like it's never been on any other game I can think of. Also my game doesn't crash on alt tab but it sure feels like it's going to crash while it takes 10 years to find the desktop. This was only up to the second battle of the prologue. Reminds me of playing strategy games on sub par machines as a teenager.

My PC is unusually loud as well. That, plus the game freezing every 20 minutes for a few seconds, are the only performance issues I can see.

It runs fine other than that.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Muscle Tracer posted:

What the gently caress is it about the campaign map that uses up so much GPU? Every 'end turn' sends my graphics card wheezing and groaning, yet the actual battles seem to run with like half as much GPU. Is this just insanely poor optimizaiton? What the gently caress?

daemon bitcoin mining

I get ~60 FPS on Ultra Unit Sizes with mostly high settings on a 1080 TI in battles at 1440p which is frankly the best performance in battle I've never seen in total war game (better than 3k even which ran about the same FPS for me but at 1080p). So the battles I'm pretty happy with. I did have to knock down the textures from ultra to high to get over the 50 -> 60 FPS hump, it wanted to default textures to Ultra for my 1080ti.

Anti-Hero posted:

3 has the most well put together total war tutorial which is cool. There isn't really any narrative you miss out by jumping straight to 3. The best recommending new player Total War games are Shogun2, Three Kingdoms and now Warhammer 3. If you like the Warhammer theme the best of those 3, then give Warhammer 3 a try on steam. Just make sure you check how it preforms on your PC during your 2 hour steam refund window.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 17, 2022

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Vagabong posted:

All the campaign story stuff is really well put together, which makes it even more confusing that CA decided to have it be a prequel to the much more narratively weaker first game.

I think the Chaos Invasion once we get the final version of III is going to be a spectacular conclusion on Mortal Empires. Imagine not just having Warriors of Chaos but each Chaos god invading different parts of the map, and you've got all the different factions holding off crazy amounts of daemons and chaos cultists

EDIT: There was a really cool mod for W2 where they had like 8 chaos factions spawn all over the map during the invasion, you had Nurgle running through Brettonia, Slaanesh in Uthluan, etc., etc.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Oh nice, I turned the game back on and there was a banner saying Ogres are free with PC gamepass version. I just had to register my account to claim the code and enter it in a Microsoft link.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'd like it if in Immortal Empires, if a minor chaos-prone faction is threatened with extinction they might just turn to chaos gods and create a minor chaos invasion instead of just fighting with no chance.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ultrachrist posted:

Oh nice, I turned the game back on and there was a banner saying Ogres are free with PC gamepass version. I just had to register my account to claim the code and enter it in a Microsoft link.

Do you have game pass ultimate or just regular?

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Found in the game files:

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Do you have game pass ultimate or just regular?

Ultimate.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ad090 posted:

Found in the game files:

That's way better than I hoped we'd get. Obviously we'll have to see the scale too, but it looks really good. I bet Ind conspiracy theorists are going to go crazy again now though.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

canada jezus posted:

Is it me or are special buildings less cool
In this one. Only have the one +-80 skarbrand game to go off atm. Also i want old chaos to get updated as soon as possible.

So far the Kislev ones seem to be in line with previous games, including one that gives massive growth in the province its built in which gives less growth at max level but makes the bonus factionwide

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
never played a total war but had warhams figures as a kid and want to see my new computer do it's thing.. thinking about getting this game tonight! do I just wait till 1 and or 2 are on sale to be able to play the armies from those versions?

Noonsa
Jan 18, 2003
For the love of god, anything other than the
Why do people in this thread call it Immortal Empires? It's Mortal Empires. Is there a reference I'm missing?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Noonsa posted:

Why do people in this thread call it Immortal Empires? It's Mortal Empires. Is there a reference I'm missing?

Mortal Empires is the name of the combined map in game 2. Immortal Empires is what we call the combined map for game 3. I don't remember if that's an official name or a fan one

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Vashro posted:

never played a total war but had warhams figures as a kid and want to see my new computer do it's thing.. thinking about getting this game tonight! do I just wait till 1 and or 2 are on sale to be able to play the armies from those versions?

The game 1/2 races won’t be playable until a future update that introduces the combined campaign map to game 3. At that point yeah if you own game 1/2 then it’ll all mash up.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
What am I missing when it comes to recruitment for the Daemon Prince? I have enough glory with each god to have 2-3 options for recruitment but my only options in the actual recruitment screen are blue horrors, hounds and furies.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Dr. Clockwork posted:

What am I missing when it comes to recruitment for the Daemon Prince? I have enough glory with each god to have 2-3 options for recruitment but my only options in the actual recruitment screen are blue horrors, hounds and furies.

Which God you dedicate settlements to matters, in that it directly affects what recruitment buildings can be built there. If you dedicate to Tzeentch, you can only build his recruitment buildings, hence you're getting Blue Horrors.

You need to dedicate to the other gods to be able to build their stuff and recruit their units.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Gonkish posted:

Which God you dedicate settlements to matters, in that it directly affects what recruitment buildings can be built there. If you dedicate to Tzeentch, you can only build his recruitment buildings, hence you're getting Blue Horrors.

You need to dedicate to the other gods to be able to build their stuff and recruit their units.

Ah ok, serves me right for just diving in without reading the tooltips. I was too stoked!

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Has anyone had luck figuring out which settings affect the campaign map the most? I’m hoping to get 60 fps on it ideally, but also have an ultra wide monitor so realize I’m asking a lot given how dumb my resolution is.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

3 comes with a 2-5 hour prologue narrative tutorial campaign that's pretty comprehensive so frankly it's the best one to start with.

Mordja posted:

They pretty much just build on one another. The only reasons to get the other two are because you want to play as their races or you want to play on their unique campaign maps. Well, there might be another reason to get 2 specifically, and that's that the 3rd game is more buggy and doesn't have the big, combined map yet.

Captain Beans posted:

3 has the most well put together total war tutorial which is cool. There isn't really any narrative you miss out by jumping straight to 3. The best recommending new player Total War games are Shogun2, Three Kingdoms and now Warhammer 3. If you like the Warhammer theme the best of those 3, then give Warhammer 3 a try on steam. Just make sure you check how it preforms on your PC during your 2 hour steam refund window.

I might be giving this a whirl during the weekend. I have a week until I leave for a week vacation first week of March. Horizon Forbidden West comes out tomorrow and I’m not sure I want to dive into that and try to power through it a week before I leave, but a completely foreign game like TWW3 might be good filler.

My main interest in this is that the Chaos Armies seem to a be a main campaign faction? That didn’t appear to be the case in the first two games. Chaos is my jam.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

I have to ask the folks who are already playing. Do the Cathay infantry scream, "They cannot destroy Cathay!"?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

I might be giving this a whirl during the weekend. I have a week until I leave for a week vacation first week of March. Horizon Forbidden West comes out tomorrow and I’m not sure I want to dive into that and try to power through it a week before I leave, but a completely foreign game like TWW3 might be good filler.

My main interest in this is that the Chaos Armies seem to a be a main campaign faction? That didn’t appear to be the case in the first two games. Chaos is my jam.

I'd generally probably recommend Warhammer 2 for newbies over 3, despite the prologue campaign in 3, but yeah if Chaos is your thing you're definitely going to want 3. It has all four monogod daemon factions plus undivided. 1 had chaos warriors, norsca, and beastmen, but chaos warriors and norsca aren't really in the best shape, and going all the way back to 1 to play them (or getting both 1 and 2 to play them on the combined map) is just a lot of effort when you can go ahead and start 3 instead, and beastmen didn't get good until 2 so playing them in 1 would be garbage too.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

ad090 posted:

Found in the game files:

Noticeably missing the galleon's graveyard, so take with a pinch of salt.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Im just glad to know they're working on unshrinking lustria and naggaroth

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Building on a suggestion from the last thread the thread title should be '"killed-a-bear workshop"

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Grumio posted:

Building on a suggestion from the last thread the thread title should be '"killed-a-bear workshop"

seconded

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ad090 posted:

Found in the game files:

Jesus christ. If that's real it looks very promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

ad090 posted:

Found in the game files:

*Heavy Breathing Intensifies*

Oh man, are those even provinces down on Chaosarctica?

What is that giant landmass East of what is presumably Ind?

This gets my hope up that the Mortal Empires 3 map will be circular. You've got the entire map, one big projection. I'm not sure the engine can handle a big rotating map though. :(