Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

ALFbrot posted:

Are we gonna gently caress, or what

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

delish

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Unless you're a huge Godzilla fan or have studied Japanese, her last line requires some cultural context in the original language.

She says 「これだから昭和は。」, "Kore dakara Shouwa wa.", "That's why the Shōwa era..." or "That's why [people from] the Shōwa era..."

(It's one of those ambiguous Japanese sentences that ends with a subject particle. In English it kinda comes across as finishing a sentence half-way through your thought, but it's perfectly acceptable in Japanese, which is so context-sensitive that often you can just omit verbs and be perfectly understood. So I'm kinda making a logical leap here to infer what she means, but I'm pretty confident I know what she's getting at.)

Shōwa refers to the years of reign of Emperor Hirohito (1926-1989), whose imperial name was Shōwa. In ye olden tymes, Japan used an imperial calendar system, so instead of having "the year 1600 A.D.", they had "the fifth year of the reign of Emperor Keichō". The imperial calendar system was largely abandoned as Japan entered modernity, but the imperial names themselves persist today as a useful way to divide up historical epochs and criticize the young'uns for "not being as industrious as the Shōwa generation." Or criticize giant monster movies: "The original Shōwa Godzilla films have an energy and sense of fun that the Heisei and Millennium films simply can't replicate."

The Shōwa era covers some of the most turbulent events of Japanese history: Ultra-nationalism, the American Occupation, the Great Economic Miracle, all the way up to the eve of the Bubble Economy Collapse.

So this assistant, in an indirect way, is calling the producer a relic, an old-timer, a dinosaur. In her mind, she's characterizing him as a barking general of the 40s or a heartless industrialist of the 60s. She sees his behavior as unreasonable and out of touch with contemporary Japanese mores, a kind of embarrassing relic of a by-gone era.

So she's kinda saying "Okay Boomer."

Or maybe I'm just projecting too much.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Too much text. MOAR NEET.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

projecthalaxy posted:

The Daily Life of a Certain Incompetent Community Manager

I don't know, if he's going for a Jerry Springer approach you'd expect to ignore criticism and wait for everyone to talk about it the next day.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mackerel Cornflake posted:

Shōwa refers to the years of reign of Emperor Hirohito (1926-1989), whose imperial name was Shōwa. In ye olden tymes, Japan used an imperial calendar system, so instead of having "the year 1600 A.D.", they had "the fifth year of the reign of Emperor Keichō". The imperial calendar system was largely abandoned as Japan entered modernity, but the imperial names themselves persist today as a useful way to divide up historical epochs and criticize the young'uns for "not being as industrious as the Shōwa generation." Or criticize giant monster movies: "The original Shōwa Godzilla films have an energy and sense of fun that the Heisei and Millennium films simply can't replicate."

Here's a gas tank out of a 1982 Datsun:

The date stamp indicates that it was made in year 56 of Showa era.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Unless you're a huge Godzilla fan or have studied Japanese, her last line requires some cultural context in the original language.

She says 「これだから昭和は。」, "Kore dakara Shouwa wa.", "That's why the Shōwa era..." or "That's why [people from] the Shōwa era..."

(It's one of those ambiguous Japanese sentences that ends with a subject particle. In English it kinda comes across as finishing a sentence half-way through your thought, but it's perfectly acceptable in Japanese, which is so context-sensitive that often you can just omit verbs and be perfectly understood. So I'm kinda making a logical leap here to infer what she means, but I'm pretty confident I know what she's getting at.)

The Shōwa era covers some of the most turbulent events of Japanese history: Ultra-nationalism, the American Occupation, the Great Economic Miracle, all the way up to the eve of the Bubble Economy Collapse.

So this assistant, in an indirect way, is calling the producer a relic, an old-timer, a dinosaur. In her mind, she's characterizing him as a barking general of the 40s or a heartless industrialist of the 60s. She sees his behavior as unreasonable and out of touch with contemporary Japanese mores, a kind of embarrassing relic of a by-gone era.

I really love the translator notes but "lol ok boomer" would be a great speech bubble in panel 2

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Here's a gas tank out of a 1982 Datsun:

The date stamp indicates that it was made in year 56 of Showa era.

That's bitchin'. :cool:

simplefish posted:

I really love the translator notes but "lol ok boomer" would be a great speech bubble in panel 2

I know. I lacked the courage to commit to that one. Felt it would be too egregious. :cry:

I dunno. She's not really being outwardly rude there... you can tell she's kinda nervous to be even thinking it...

edit: Maybe "He's such a Boomer..." or "What a Boomer attitude..." would be appropriate.

Mackerel Cornflake fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 17, 2022

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

No you were right the first time. Translator's note much appreciated. Depends on if the context will be important later, and in this case I'd guess it's a throwaway reference. You could say "this guy's stuck in the 50s" and the reader knows it's Japan in this context. Boomer is a distinctly American idiom. Conveys the era, but not necessarily the stereotype. Boomers are hella nazi-fashy though so idk.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

yeah no you made the right call i think, the tone of "boomer" wouldnt really fit with her facial expression

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Vic posted:

Boomer is a distinctly American idiom.

not really tbh, its anywhere english speaking i think.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Projecting or not, this is incredibly interesting and I appreciate you for going those extra miles to properly explain your train of thought when translating <3

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

simplefish posted:

not really tbh, its anywhere english speaking i think.

When you say Boomer without context you mean G.I. veteran benefits, suburbs, post-great depression and post-ww2 optimism in United States. Nobody thinks of Jamaica or New Zealand. I'm not talking about the actual generation as there was a baby boom all across the world, but the war was very different for Japanese obviously, as it was for the whole rest of the world. Either way it's tied to a different culture, language and country.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

When you say it in the US, sure it has some us-specific connotations

But the "your generation benefited in terms of housing/environment/global exploitation/cheap education/etc" is p universal as a sentiment when calling out boomers

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

simplefish posted:

When you say it in the US, sure it has some us-specific connotations

But the "your generation benefited in terms of housing/environment/global exploitation/cheap education/etc" is p universal as a sentiment when calling out boomers

uhhh

not in most of the world

Vic fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 17, 2022

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

ok, can't speak to your experience, only from mine :)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Greggster posted:

Projecting or not, this is incredibly interesting and I appreciate you for going those extra miles to properly explain your train of thought when translating <3

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

The imperial calendar system was largely abandoned as Japan entered modernity

Japan finally entered modernity?! O.O I was there recently, and you could still buy floppy disks in major stores.

I feel like "largely abandoned" might be a bit strong; it still sees some use. At the very least, when filling out forms, I sometimes had to select an era when entering my birthday. This was a few years ago though.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
"It is frankly astounding how little of a gently caress I give about this guy"

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Sounds like neet is curious alright...

Isn't there a sticker you can get from that sticker pack that has Izawa with a bunch of hearts around him?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Shadow0 posted:

Japan finally entered modernity?! O.O I was there recently, and you could still buy floppy disks in major stores.
The US is technically a modern country even though our banks keep implementing things decades after the rest of the world did(and usually in a worse way than everyone else did), or (insert literally anything about our internet companies here). :shrug:

Too much text. MOAR NEET.

It hit me what feels so weird about this: So this is basically like if someone on a reality show in the US suddenly went "HOME FLIPPING SHOWS ARE FAAAAAAAAKE" and it freaked everyone on the station the gently caress out because they're 100% convinced it will result in a huge backlash against that show genre. Instead of it being a thing most people know already and that the people who watch the shows either don't care about or don't believe.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I think with stuff related to superstition/spirituality it's felt as more of a personal attack on the audience, because people incorporate these things into their honestly held beliefs about the world. Claiming that house flipping shows are fake just exposes dishonesty in the entertainment industry. House flipping itself is a real thing and you could theoretically make a show about it, it's just easier to make a fake one, so that's what you're watching. Claiming that a superstition is fake targets the viewer for having a fundamentally incorrect belief.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

:neet:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Not to reveal myself as a lout with no cultural knowledge but... no?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Notice me, senpai kouhai.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 17, 2022

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i dunno what's on NEET's chopsticks but it looks like a clump of wet hair

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I think NEET just needs to chug that beer or they need some shots

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Shadow0 posted:

I feel like "largely abandoned" might be a bit strong; it still sees some use.

You're right. I should've picked a better a choice of words.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

You're right. I should've picked a better a choice of words.

What was "rather ballsy" 's original translation? I'm assuming there's no direct word for that in Japanese

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

oh well, might as well :neet:

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Same here Tohru. Same here.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Umbreon posted:

What was "rather ballsy" 's original translation? I'm assuming there's no direct word for that in Japanese

厳しい, kibishii, "difficult, tricky, intense" but when used to describe a person or action can give the impression of "strict, rigid, or doggedly tenacious".

You can tell by the way Oda's speaking that he has a kind of admiration and respect for someone who could put on a shitshow like they just witnessed. So "ballsy" immediately came to mind.

"Rather" is just a qualifier I snuck in because it fit and sounded nice.

It's kinda a stretch. But it sounds like something Oda would say and it's more colorful than simply saying "difficult to pull off".

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

We know the artist can draw very fine looking hands, so it must be a deliberate choice to give Oda this grotesque mitt. This is what 40 years of manga illustration does to a person.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Aino Minako posted:

We know the artist can draw very fine looking hands, so it must be a deliberate choice to give Oda this grotesque mitt. This is what 40 years of manga illustration does to a person.
Don't forget the careful formation of his snot carpet.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Normally I'd be able to sympathize with this situation, but in this case Tohru and Izawa just went through the same ordeal together, and the whole thing was wrapped in mystery and uncertainty. Seems like something you'd want to talk about!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

“So why don’t we unionize?”