Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

"it forces them to make dangerous moves trying to pass you on the right, which is more likely to cause an accident"

car brains get the gently caress out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Sphyre posted:

"it forces them to make dangerous moves trying to pass you on the right, which is more likely to cause an accident"

car brains get the gently caress out

hate it when someone isn't speeding enough for my taste, literally forcing me to do a whole bunch of psychotic poo poo to pass them.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fitzy Fitz posted:

By all means protect yourself by staying out of the left lane, but the framing always blames the slow drivers, not the psychos, even in this thread.

:hai:

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
shooting over a parking spot in center city philadelphia today

https://twitter.com/MarcusFOX29/status/1494399257100656644

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

The passing lane argument is similar to the "most accidents caused by driver error" argument: yeah, it's mostly the psychopaths who cause problems when you don't use the passing lane (like it's mostly the psychopaths who cause problems with "driver error"), but that means we have to drive in such a way as to minimize the damage done by the psychopaths (just like we need to start designing roads and vehicles around the fact that people drive like psychopaths). You should only use the passing lane for passing.

https://youtu.be/4oqfodY2Lz0

This reminds me, you should always wear reflective clothing when you're walking somewhere. Consider waving a bright colored flag when in a crosswalk. And always make eye contact with drivers when you cross the street!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fitzy Fitz posted:

By all means protect yourself by staying out of the left lane, but the framing always blames the slow drivers, not the psychos, even in this thread.

Anyone who drives faster then me is a psycho driver, anyone slower then me is a slow driver.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Anyone driving within the legal limits is fine.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

And always make eye contact with drivers when you cross the street!

Won't matter, they'll be looking at their cellphone.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This reminds me, you should always wear reflective clothing when you're walking somewhere. Consider waving a bright colored flag when in a crosswalk. And always make eye contact with drivers when you cross the street!

If you don't look both ways when crossing the street with the light or at a stop sign even though you have right of way, you have a loving death wish.

Should you have to do that? Absolutely loving not. Do the rules and dictates of society as it currently operates make it mandatory? Yup.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

related, does anyone have a good recommendation for an obnoxiously bright flashlight with a random interval flash mode? I have to cross a 4 lane road with a median divider before dawn and find a lot of inattentive drivers.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

hard to tell but they’re parked entirely on the sidewalk lol I love tbe little metal cutouts to make the round headlights more angry looking

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I get the argument for short term harm reduction through accommodation of psychos, even if I don't think it's always the best approach, but regardless of its merits, it shouldn't be where the discussion stops about eliminating dangerous driving more broadly. There are steps society can take to not only limit the psychos' ability to harm, but to reduce the number of psychos behind the wheel. Technical impediments like speed limiters on cars can be mandated, just like other safety features.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

how about if you go above the listed speed limit tbe car falls apart like a prop in a buster keaton film and you’re left driving a motorless frame you have to pedal forward with your feet flintstones style

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

Technical impediments like speed limiters on cars can be mandated, just like other safety features.

Yeah frankly if we're gonna be putting chips and sensors in absolutely everything, it feels incredibly stupid to leave this one feature which is instrumental to the safe operation of the vehicle up to choice. It's like putting up signs on the highway that say "You have to have brakes to drive on this road" rather than just making them a standard part of the vehicle.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

donoteat posted:

shooting over a parking spot in center city philadelphia today

https://twitter.com/MarcusFOX29/status/1494399257100656644

i'm glad they clarified it was people and not dogs or something

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/grescoe/status/1494326829305323521

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I love any headline starting with or containing cars banned

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Yeah frankly if we're gonna be putting chips and sensors in absolutely everything, it feels incredibly stupid to leave this one feature which is instrumental to the safe operation of the vehicle up to choice. It's like putting up signs on the highway that say "You have to have brakes to drive on this road" rather than just making them a standard part of the vehicle.

I can't even open my email without second factor authentication, every new car sold should be required to verify the identity of the driver and automatically limit speeds to the speed limit of the street

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

oui... hon hon hon... OUI!

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i could eliminate 90% of my driving if they put a couple stores within a block or so of me. as it is i can only get liquor within walking distance, which is a convenience i don't take for granted, but i should be able to buy some vegetables and a hunk of a cow too

mystes
May 31, 2006

gently caress yes

Dolphin posted:

i could eliminate 90% of my driving if they put a couple stores within a block or so of me. as it is i can only get liquor within walking distance, which is a convenience i don't take for granted, but i should be able to buy some vegetables and a hunk of a cow too
Yeah this is the biggest problem in most of the US but unfortunately Americans love lovely single purpose zoning for some reason.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

mystes posted:

Yeah this is the biggest problem in most of the US but unfortunately Americans love lovely single purpose zoning for some reason.

R-r-racism?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Anyone who drives faster then me is a psycho driver, anyone slower then me is a slow driver.

Anyone driving is a psycho

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Mr. Sharps posted:

hard to tell but they’re parked entirely on the sidewalk lol I love tbe little metal cutouts to make the round headlights more angry looking

what is up with jeeps... in the past 10 decades jeeps have morphed from "cute tiny suvs" into spiky mad max designs, with mandatory punisher decals

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you want to drive slow, that's fine, but don't drive

Ftfy

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I remei getting my learner's, and filling the written test because my dumb teen brain was like "yeah I can over take someone traveling the speed limit" then the instructor said "now think about this"

And I said "oh right, doi, it's the speed limit, if have to speed to pass them"

That a significant portion of the population doesn't grasp this, or chooses not to means cars should be banned period

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

so everyone who lives in that area will still be able to drive their cars in and out?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Lmfao

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

actionjackson posted:

so everyone who lives in that area will still be able to drive their cars in and out?

How many people who live here own cars, would you estimate

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

mixed used mid rise housing... god i wish that were me

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

actionjackson posted:

terminal carbrain on display

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

actionjackson posted:

lmao

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

actionjackson posted:

the carbrain

i have to manually override my brain from this damage

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Anyone who drives is a psycho

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Sphyre posted:

mixed used mid rise housing... god i wish that were me

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Nitevision posted:

How many people who live here own cars, would you estimate

You think of I sent the French consulate a picture of Bellevue Square Mall they'd grant me asylum?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i'm just asking a question :confused:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

actionjackson posted:

i'm just asking a question :confused:
Yeah, and it's not really a bad one, either. I've not been to Paris in over a decade, so my impressions of the city are pretty stale, but the city is notoriously rich at the center and poorer in the suburbs, so there are serious equity concerns that are worth raising. Especially if they turn out to have been adequately addressed, making Paris an even better model to follow! It'd be a super bad look if this were effectively putting up a wall to keep the poors from passing through, while rich financiers gallivant in and out with their Lambos. Fortunately, Paris has long been amazing for its public transit and the wild improvements to bike infrastructure and traffic culture in recent years probably actually make it easier than ever for the space to be frequented by everyone.

It's worth asking when residents of less monied quartiers get to benefit from the same, though, either through expansion of the zone interdit or building more homes where people want to live (even if that means transforming the Parisian esthetic a bit).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I remember seeing quite a few super luxury cars in that area of paris when I was there seven years ago, including that porsche spyder that is 950K and I think is not street legal in the US. Had dubai plates of course. this was either on the champs d' elysees (however you spell it) or rue de rivoli

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Considering it's atlanta they're probably going down that offramp at 60+