Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Haifisch posted:

Reminds me of people who are aghast when they find out that places like Dunkin Donuts get premade donuts shipped to them that they put in the oven. Like, did people seriously think that chain donut places are making everything from scratch every day?

I blame it on the fact that so many people don't cook anymore that they have no idea how long things actually take to make.

Krispy Kreme for one, showing them being made being an entire gimmick at the store.

I actually do expect a donut to be baked that day from anywhere but a gas station, Dunkin' specifically sucks for that reason as the only place I know of that doesn't. although, I guess there's only really been the two as chains anywhere I've lived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Haifisch posted:

Where does adding cream cheese to alfredo sauce fall on the Italian food wrath scale?

My mom is overall a pretty decent cook, but her "alfredo sauce" is definitely not one of her better recipes: combine equal parts sour cream and cream cheese. I'm not one who is a stickler for authentic food but even I know that is definitely not alfredo sauce.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Krispy Kreme for one, showing them being made being an entire gimmick at the store.

I actually do expect a donut to be baked that day from anywhere but a gas station, Dunkin' specifically sucks for that reason as the only place I know of that doesn't. although, I guess there's only really been the two as chains anywhere I've lived.
Krispy Kreme has always been as mediocre as Dunkin in my experience, although I'll admit I'm never awake early enough to get them when they're theoretically fresh. (and I'd have to drive an hour to get to an actual Krispy Kreme in the first place) The only non-mediocre donuts I've had have been from actual independent donut shops and bakeries. :shrug:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Krispy Kreme and Dunkin both only have one or two donuts that are worthwhile for me, and they dry out pretty fast if you don't get them fresh. Much better to go with a more local place.

Although, more relevant to this thread, that also puts you at risk of finding a Voodoo Donut and having to decide which crazy gimmick is edible and which is just silly

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Best donuts are from the local and regional chains of 2-20 stores. Never trust an independent donut shop, they are clearly practicing. Never trust a national chain, the donuts are made out of lowest bidder flour and yeast made to rise quickly and tastelessly.

Starting a donut shop seems like it works on Sith rules, so you know you found a good possible shop when you learn the history is that the owner used to be a baker for another shop and got into a fist fight with the owner about donut opinions.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Best doughnut shop in Rochester is a single place way out of the way for me (Ridge Donut Cafe)

I wish I could get them anywhere else but it's probably best for my health that I cannot

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
People went apeshit for Krispy Kreme back in y2k when they opened one up outside of Seattle. I never found them to be that mindblowing, but my parents loved them because they had them when they were children.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Best donuts are the ones made from yellow cake mix that a local place does. Just sucks that they are in such out of the way location.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

People went apeshit for Krispy Kreme back in y2k when they opened one up outside of Seattle. I never found them to be that mindblowing, but my parents loved them because they had them when they were children.

Krispy Kreme were good for if you wanted to destroy several doughnuts in a row and only feel like poo poo instead of literally dying

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

zedprime posted:

Best donuts are from the local and regional chains of 2-20 stores. Never trust an independent donut shop, they are clearly practicing. Never trust a national chain, the donuts are made out of lowest bidder flour and yeast made to rise quickly and tastelessly.

Starting a donut shop seems like it works on Sith rules, so you know you found a good possible shop when you learn the history is that the owner used to be a baker for another shop and got into a fist fight with the owner about donut opinions.

I feel like this is true of pizza too.

Independents way too often end up being the big tasteless wasteland of bad cheese and canned mushrooms places. You don't get actual good stuff until it's a chain and can manage bulk purchasing of quality ingredients.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Zil posted:

Best donuts are the ones made from yellow cake mix that a local place does. Just sucks that they are in such out of the way location.

There's a place that is thankfully not near me in Richmond, VA called Country Style doughnuts that has an amazing plain cake doughnut; slightly crunchy on the outside and soft and cakey in the middle. It's the perfect pair for coffee. They have 2 locations so you know they are legit, no Instagram bullshit froot loops doughnuts here, just quality.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Whooping Crabs posted:

an amazing plain cake doughnut; slightly crunchy on the outside and soft and cakey in the middle.

Honestly, that’s just the best way to do it. One town over from where I grew up, there was what was basically a donut truck, sitting by the entrance of a locally-owned grocery store on the edge of town, and that’s how the guy there [and his family I suppose] made his donuts. You could get them plain or with a modest sprinkle of powdered sugar, and they were pretty fantastic. They’ve been at it since the ‘30s, even after that grocery store where they stayed parked closed in the late ‘90s and in recent years turned into a [lmao] Planet Fitness

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Captain Hygiene posted:

Krispy Kreme and Dunkin both only have one or two donuts that are worthwhile for me, and they dry out pretty fast if you don't get them fresh. Much better to go with a more local place.

Although, more relevant to this thread, that also puts you at risk of finding a Voodoo Donut and having to decide which crazy gimmick is edible and which is just silly

Voodoo donuts are overrated imo. A perfectly nice cakey donut that's smothered under a huge chunk of sugar icing and stale cereal. Yum!

If you're in Portland, Blue Star is the better hipster donut place. I think every time Voodoo comes up I have to rag on them because they're crappy to eat and also have terrible labor practices.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

And Rogue makes terrible beers based on Voodoo doughnuts and they have their own terrible labor practices

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

big dyke energy posted:

Voodoo donuts are overrated imo. A perfectly nice cakey donut that's smothered under a huge chunk of sugar icing and stale cereal. Yum!

If you're in Portland, Blue Star is the better hipster donut place. I think every time Voodoo comes up I have to rag on them because they're crappy to eat and also have terrible labor practices.

I’ve had Voodoo a couple of times and every time it’s been disappointing because all you taste is the sugar. It’s a doughnut so I know what I’m getting going in, but it would be nice if the doughnut has a flavor to actually be able to taste it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Imho nothing beats a classic glazed ring

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Brawnfire posted:

Imho nothing beats a classic glazed ring

That's what she said

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

zedprime posted:

This is only true if you don't live near the Amish. There's an Amish donut stand near me, that used to be a pizza stand before all the donut lady's sisters got married and left, that has the best donuts I've ever had in my life. The stand is only open Saturdays in the summer and you better get there early because they sell out. Everything there is fresh, hot, the size of your head, and less than $2 each. Some of my sheep shearing clients specifically schedule on a Saturday so they can beg me to bring donuts from the donut lady. Jolly Pirate is pretty good but it has nothing on that random Amish lady.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Instant Jellyfish posted:

This is only true if you don't live near the Amish. There's an Amish donut stand near me, that used to be a pizza stand before all the donut lady's sisters got married and left, that has the best donuts I've ever had in my life. The stand is only open Saturdays in the summer and you better get there early because they sell out. Everything there is fresh, hot, the size of your head, and less than $2 each. Some of my sheep shearing clients specifically schedule on a Saturday so they can beg me to bring donuts from the donut lady. Jolly Pirate is pretty good but it has nothing on that random Amish lady.

I went to a fall Apple festival in western PA where five really wonderful older Amish ladies tried to murder me via the most amazing fresh apple cider doughnuts you can possibly imagine.

Also, turkey sandwiches with fresh apple slices.

I need to go back there.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
When I visited california my friends seemed to think voodoo doughnuts were really great/something to visit in portland, but they really just seem like grocery store doughnuts dipped in cereal??

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Here in Queensland Krispy Kremes didn't exist until 2008. The only time you saw them was when someone was getting off a plane from Sydney and they had a big box of them as carry-on luggage.

We got Cinnabon in 2020. There's probably a lot of appeal in the first few months for people to try out these places they've only heard about on TV (I gave it a go thanks to Better Call Saul). No idea how long they will survive in the long term, though.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Brawnfire posted:

Krispy Kreme were good for if you wanted to destroy several doughnuts in a row and only feel like poo poo instead of literally dying

Some youtube person called them "the ghost of a doughnut" which seems pretty accurate. They're very airy.

And on the subject of awful doughnuts, some years back a coworker brought a bunch of assorted doughnuts for the office and I took a Boston cream one because those are my fave. Alas, it was April Fool's and the coworker had convinced the doughnut shop to give her an empty doughnut and she filled it with mayonnaise. I could tell there was something wrong with the first bite, but it took until the second for me to figure out what the issue was. It was so oily, ugh. It took years before I could eat a cream filled doughnut again.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Some youtube person called them "the ghost of a doughnut" which seems pretty accurate. They're very airy.

And on the subject of awful doughnuts, some years back a coworker brought a bunch of assorted doughnuts for the office and I took a Boston cream one because those are my fave. Alas, it was April Fool's and the coworker had convinced the doughnut shop to give her an empty doughnut and she filled it with mayonnaise. I could tell there was something wrong with the first bite, but it took until the second for me to figure out what the issue was. It was so oily, ugh. It took years before I could eat a cream filled doughnut again.

how are you not in prison for killing this "person"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Wegmans donuts are staggeringly good

I am at least 200 miles from a Wegmans (they keep creeping closer)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

how are you not in prison for killing this "person"

Apparently I'm fairly laid back. She said she was glad I got the mayo doughnut because I can take a joke, which begs the question... what was she going to do if someone who couldn't take a joke got it?

Also, it was already cut in half by the time I got to the kitchen, so someone else got the other half but we never did figure out who.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Empty Sandwich posted:

Wegmans donuts are staggeringly good

I am at least 200 miles from a Wegmans (they keep creeping closer)

So angry that Wegman’s were mask skeptics (like, the actual Wegman family), because I love their everything but can’t bring myself to shop there now.

The local donuterias in Boston are mostly very good. Porter Square Donuts in Cambridge and Union Square Donuts in Somerville are both outstanding.

Dunkin’ used to be pretty good back when they made the donuts in the stores. :smith:

Also, shout-out to Winchell’s Donuts, probably my favorite chain donuts.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gromit posted:

Here in Queensland Krispy Kremes didn't exist until 2008. The only time you saw them was when someone was getting off a plane from Sydney and they had a big box of them as carry-on luggage.

We got Cinnabon in 2020. There's probably a lot of appeal in the first few months for people to try out these places they've only heard about on TV (I gave it a go thanks to Better Call Saul). No idea how long they will survive in the long term, though.

Jesus. Imagine Cinnabon becoming a trendy place with hip international cachet because of it being featured in a show where its entire purpose is as such a stark embodiment of sad lifeless suburban anonymity that all of the scenes concerning it are filmed in black and white.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
these look so dank but I guess I'll never get to have one.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Data Graham posted:

Jesus. Imagine Cinnabon becoming a trendy place with hip international cachet because of it being featured in a show where its entire purpose is as such a stark embodiment of sad lifeless suburban anonymity that all of the scenes concerning it are filmed in black and white.

Not gonna lie, I want a delicious buttery cinnabon every time I watch one of those bleak mall hellscape sequences

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Bismuth posted:

When I visited california my friends seemed to think voodoo doughnuts were really great/something to visit in portland, but they really just seem like grocery store doughnuts dipped in cereal??

The thing about Voodoo isn't that the donuts are particularly good, it's more about the novelty/the fact a lot of them are "adult" gags a la Cards Against Humanity. Like they used to sell one that was phallus-shaped and cream-filled but I can't find it on their site anymore. Their tagline is also literally "Good things come in pink boxes" :nallears:

They might not have the dick donut anymore but they do still sell the one shaped like a blunt, the one with a pentagram and the namesake Voodoo Doll

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Indy pink box Cambodian donut shops > any chain.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I remember when Krispy Kreme opened in Melbourne. That's the first and last time I ever ate a Krispy Kreme doughnut. They're weird. I don't know what they are, but they're not doughnuts as I know them. I don't particularly care for iced doughnuts to begin with, but the actual doughnut itself also wasn't right. Can't really remember what it was like, just that it wasn't what I expected.

But you can get a perfectly good cinnamon or jam doughnut from literally any bakery. I guess if you're looking for whatever it actually is that Krispy Kreme doughnuts are then you might not find that so easily, but regular doughnuts are pretty much the same everywhere they're sold and they're quite good? Nothing to write home about, but fine?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Not gonna lie, I want a delicious buttery cinnabon every time I watch one of those bleak mall hellscape sequences

Cinnabon is great. It's a shame they only exist in malls since malls don't exist anymore.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I live in Philly because I can't stand the idea of living somewhere that doesn't have 6 different breakfast meats.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Blood Nightmaster posted:

The thing about Voodoo isn't that the donuts are particularly good, it's more about the novelty/the fact a lot of them are "adult" gags a la Cards Against Humanity. Like they used to sell one that was phallus-shaped and cream-filled but I can't find it on their site anymore. Their tagline is also literally "Good things come in pink boxes" :nallears:

They might not have the dick donut anymore but they do still sell the one shaped like a blunt, the one with a pentagram and the namesake Voodoo Doll

God, they're the spencer's gifts of pastries

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've only had Voodoo donuts in Eugene, never from the original place in Portland, and I don't know if they're comparable. The one in Eugene seems fine - not spectacular, but fine. I like the bacon maple bar, at least. :shrug:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I live in Philly because I can't stand the idea of living somewhere that doesn't have 6 different breakfast meats.

calling scrapple and Taylor ham "meats" is a stretch

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
The best doughnuts are bagels.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

When I was a teenager my family was involved with the Top Pot Doughnuts startup in Seattle, and I helped build their first 3 locations. That came with the perk of free doughnuts every day, once the doughnut production lines were up. Once, as a special thank you, I got an apple fritter (my favorite) the size of a medium pizza, served in a literal pizza box.

To this day the thought of eating doughnuts makes my stomach feel queasy thanks to that.

Speaking of working on restaurants, when I helped commission a really nice Italian joint the last 2 months before opening they tested out recipes on us for lunch every day, all you can eat out of massive serving bowls, like an enormous bowl of brown butter cooked ravioli that you would normally get 3 of for $15, and you could just load up an entire plate, that was loving dope.

Oh, and when I rewired a sushi restaurant that had no cash to pay us, so they gave us unlimited free food for us and our friends for a year in trade.

I think I just figured out why I've been fat since I turned 19.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

A donut shop called "Happy" or "Lucky" or "Sunshine" is good. That's the tell.