Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

oh drat it Baz, you done it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

Well remember that trailers and movies are almost always color corrected by different people. It may be better in the theater

I don't even mind it to be honest. It might not be totally original, but it's not like a "this is a memory" total sepia wash. As someone that is from super rural Mississippi... that's basically what it feels like. There's always a light coating of dirt and pollen floating in the air and combined with the extreme heat everything just *feels* yellow.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Sorry, someone got banned for being obnoxious in this very thread about Mel Gibson and they bought me this AV because I said Gibson is a racist piece of poo poo. I still need to change it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I love Walk Hard

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

I love Walk Hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8ZUsFkrNQE

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Truly one of the greatest films ever made.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It kills me that Baz just refuses to make films I have any interest in these days. I just want more wild and crazy 90s Baz, not things about Australia and Elvis.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

remembering and loling that her breakout role was knock knock

Arguably her break out role was Knives Out.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Arguably her break out role was Knives Out.
For sure. No one saw Knock Knock. Some people saw BR2049 but probably don’t recognize her from that movie.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I just always assumed the relevance of the term 'break out' was to describe the moment when a person's career first got them publicity rather than describing the moment they reached industry prominence or universal appeal :shrug: , but hey if I'm wrong then whatev

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Haha the Elvis movie is distributed by WB so they highlight the Captain Marvel Jr inspiration

I mean thats my favorite Elvis trivia but come on

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Truly one of the greatest films ever made.

I can't really take the Elvis movie seriously because of it.
It was just too perfectly done it ruined music biopics for me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I just always assumed the relevance of the term 'break out' was to describe the moment when a person's career first got them publicity

That would still be Knives Out though. I had no idea she was in Knock Knock before I watched it.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Vegetable posted:

That sepia coloring for the childhood scenes is so bad lol. Elvis is a magnetic subject and I’m sure this movie will be more than competent, though.

This rather looks like the early Kodachrome, later renamed Fox Nature Color, which was a red+green color system focusing on semi realistic skin and foliage tones. Almost period appropriate.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Scrolling thru the comments and it once again reinforces my impression that Elvis fans are some of the weirdest music fans to ever exist

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Hopefully Lakeith Stanfield is in this as Little Richard

Yeah just found out that 20 of the 24 songs he first did with RCA were covers including a bunch of Little Richard covers. Hope they do that justice

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I didn't know that, interesting!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
you didn't know that Elvis mostly did cover songs?

i thought everyone knew that

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I didn't know either but I loving hate Elvis so

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

precision posted:

Elvis was a singer, not a song writer.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rT9vk4MCZI

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

precision posted:

I didn't. I knew about Fools Rush In though, which I thought was his until I looked it up last week and saw how far down on the list he was because of how old that song is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
one of the few things i ever had on vinyl that was worth money was a Canadian pressing of Elvis' last proper album, Moody Blue, with his loving killer version of "Unchained Melody"

i never liked Elvis a whole lot, but he did a few things that were great... King Creole is defintely a legit good movie and the soundtrack (especially the song "Trouble") is really good... i hope the Baz movie includes some of that material where you see how Elvis was a huge influence on bands like The Cramps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wMLRBlLUOQ

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Imagine thinking any movie about Elvis could top Bubba Ho-Tep.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Alhazred posted:

That would still be Knives Out though. I had no idea she was in Knock Knock before I watched it.

But ADA was getting press and recognition before Knives Out, is my meaning. Like, for example, Minnie Driver's 'breakout role' is not Good Will Hunting, or Grosse Point Blank, it's Circle of Friends...a movie nobody really cares about, but that's where she first got press.

Ana De Armas was amazing in BR2049 and everyone thought so at the time.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
apologies if this was posted already, i didnt see it. But alex garland is extremely my poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKJ4Thgk1Js

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

it was posted and yeah it looks way good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
alex garland has done nothing that's less than astounding. i can't think of many other people with as clean of a track record... Ben Wheatley or Yorgos Lanthimos maybe

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

precision posted:

alex garland has done nothing that's less than astounding. i can't think of many other people with as clean of a track record... Ben Wheatley or Yorgos Lanthimos maybe

agreed to all those, also Steve McQueen & Denis Villeneuve have solid oeuvres

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

ozmunkeh posted:

Imagine thinking any movie about Elvis could top Bubba Ho-Tep.

Easily Bruce Campbell's best performance. Possibly the best portrayal of Elvis in a movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDNj8mJAJyU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

But ADA was getting press and recognition before Knives Out, is my meaning. Like, for example, Minnie Driver's 'breakout role' is not Good Will Hunting, or Grosse Point Blank, it's Circle of Friends...a movie nobody really cares about, but that's where she first got press.

Ana De Armas was amazing in BR2049 and everyone thought so at the time.

In that case, her breakout role was "El internado". When she got famous enough, she had her character killed and moved to the US even though her English wasn't great.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Spermando posted:

In that case, her breakout role was "El internado". When she got famous enough, she had her character killed and moved to the US even though her English wasn't great.

Fair enough :colbert:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Never understood (or watched) the point of biography films.
They all have parts that are faked or added for drama.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
The breakout role of Ana De Arma was being Ben Affleck's girlfriend. I think she's great, but she got more publicity from that then any movie she's done.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

happyhippy posted:

Never understood (or watched) the point of biography films.
They all have parts that are faked or added for drama.

but The Last Temptation of Christ was great

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

precision posted:

but The Last Temptation of Christ was great

I like Amadeus a lot too. Straight up accurate and traditional biopics are the most boring genre by far.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

wizardofloneliness posted:

I like Amadeus a lot too. Straight up accurate and traditional biopics are the most boring genre by far.

Amadeus is so dope

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Would wager Mishima: A Life in 4 Chapters is the greatest biopic ever made, personally.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Another stunner. I really like Che, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DetoxP posted:

Would wager Mishima: A Life in 4 Chapters is the greatest biopic ever made, personally.
For me it's Walk Hard