Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lackey posted:

It's a stereo check. Hearing him in your right ear lets you know that your headphones are set up correctly as binaural beats absolutely need to be separated.
Also, if people know the Gateway routine I highly recommend checking out SBaGen; I've found the length of the Gateway courses to be too short and need a much longer time with the tones to relax. The courses were originally made to fit on cassette tapes, so it's my understanding they're as long as they could manage during the time.
Focus levels are included in the set of example tones with SBaGen, but you can create your own.

Also, hello, UFO thread. When I'm not crack-pinging my mind out in the Covid thread I like reading about people's experiences here. Grooving on Hitchhiker Effect.

This is raaad. I was thinking about chopping and splicing some of the Monroe tracks to expand the tone sections but this is way easier.

Also thank you the compliment
In case people missed it in the video comment I have also put the whole album up ready for streaming (and pre-order to download, currently $1 but it will be free on release bandcamp won't let me make it free to pre-order)
https://rozkol.bandcamp.com/

You can also grab my ambient album based on thread (and personal) favorite "Roadside Picnic". Mimetic Theater is also an entirely ambient instrumental album inspired by John Carpenter soundtracks I just re-listened to the other day for the first time in a while and I was grooving on it way more than I remember a year ago.. The rest vary between noise, electronic, etc.
All free please to download and use in other projects.

(The first 2 are very raw so I'd suggest skipping them and maybe going back later if you like the other stuff)

Good Soldier Svejk has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Feb 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Jazerus posted:

neurosci is cool as gently caress that's my degree as well

but i also ended up following the path of the computer toucher

A friend is teaching me C#, I gotta say, even though I'm a neophyte on programming, it seems like understanding computers as a science is increasingly important as a job skill no matter what field you enter these days, like it's on par with welding as essential tool understanding lol

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
thanks for the answers, I think im convinced it doesnt matter, or if it does, subtly.

Lackey posted:

It's a stereo check. Hearing him in your right ear lets you know that your headphones are set up correctly as binaural beats absolutely need to be separated.

This makes sense, and the Monroe Institute claims it works with speakers if set up correctly.

Still gonna do the flip though. even if my placebo is ruined :arghfist:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I read somewhere that someone decided to look and see if other animals have handedness like we do, and it seems like by far most don't but some do, and in some animals it's actually reversed, with left handed being more common than right handed. In other animals that have this they also have some difference in brain hemispheres like we do. IIRC overall most animals are not particularly handed and don't have much hemisphere difference. Supposedly there's some connection to having a dominant eye as well? Idk.

Even more weird is that the only animals that have a corpus callosum connecting their brain parts are placental mammals, but a lot of the animals that don't have it have something else that apparently does a similar job?
What was the animal that has a placenta but not a corpus callosum, or vice versa? How did these two traits get linked together?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Jazerus posted:

if you find yourself sometimes turning your left ear toward half-heard conversations in order to understand them slightly better (rather than the right ear which is what most people use for this purpose) then you might want to flip your headphones around for more than just hemisync; but handedness probably isn't correlated reliably with, uh, earedness

I have the typical ear setup where I use my right ear more for listening to speech, and I'm also right-handed

but my left eye is dominant instead of my right eye, does this mean i'm a hybrid

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rah! posted:

I have the typical ear setup where I use my right ear more for listening to speech, and I'm also right-handed

but my left eye is dominant instead of my right eye, does this mean i'm a hybrid

radar is ur dad

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
tfw you realize mom hosed an alien life form

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I read somewhere that someone decided to look and see if other animals have handedness like we do, and it seems like by far most don't but some do, and in some animals it's actually reversed, with left handed being more common than right handed. In other animals that have this they also have some difference in brain hemispheres like we do. IIRC overall most animals are not particularly handed and don't have much hemisphere difference. Supposedly there's some connection to having a dominant eye as well? Idk.

Even more weird is that the only animals that have a corpus callosum connecting their brain parts are placental mammals, but a lot of the animals that don't have it have something else that apparently does a similar job?
What was the animal that has a placenta but not a corpus callosum, or vice versa? How did these two traits get linked together?

Monotremes and marsupials are the exceptions. They're egg laying and pouch rearing, respectively, so that tracks in a sense. Interesting!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Jazerus posted:

radar is ur dad

gently caress u dad!!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

u abandoned on me on the piss ape hell planet so that u could become a hat model

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Monotremes and marsupials are the exceptions. They're egg laying and pouch rearing, respectively, so that tracks in a sense. Interesting!

But no corpus callosum or placenta, and only monotremes lay eggs.

To find a combination of one without the other we need to find ways to reanimate stem group eutherian fossils. And if we can do that I would like to put in a vote for Morganucodon--I realize it won't help with the present question, but they are so loving cool looking

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Bilirubin posted:

To find a combination of one without the other we need to find ways to reanimate stem group eutherian fossils. And if we can do that I would like to put in a vote for Morganucodon--I realize it won't help with the present question, but they are so loving cool looking

I said respectively :mad: I meant they are the mammals which are the exceptions to having a corpus callosum, meaning that the placenta is necessary for the corpus callosum and being mammalian isn't sufficient. There are no placental animals without a corpus callosum.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Bilirubin posted:

this mfr's gonna evolve and buddy you ain't gonna like it

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I said respectively :mad: I meant they are the mammals which are the exceptions to having a corpus callosum, meaning that the placenta is necessary for the corpus callosum and being mammalian isn't sufficient. There are no placental animals without a corpus callosum.

OK I got confused because that wasn't the question being asked, which was "What was the animal that has a placenta but not a corpus callosum, or vice versa? " and for that its some stem lineage Eutherian like the fossil with the eminently cool name Zalambdalestes. (I mean, assuming the assertion the corpus callosum is restricted that way is correct, which I am assuming for discussion's sake)

And then we have the corollary question: Which came first, the placenta or corpus callosum?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I was made by a greylien named Steve

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

toggle posted:

ghost ride the tic tac

ghost ride
go crazy
who's that driving
radar baby

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

birds?

no!

cats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtM0-yQERtY

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beautiful.

I'm not watching this Lyran so-called 'Commonwealth' propaganda!!!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

i really like this

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

these conspiracy theories of all the alien species have been around and propagated for so long it feels like we're gonna find out it's all been true

everything the government says is a goddamned lie anyhow
why not have cat people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9GbGO7CKdQ

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

haha fantastic

munce
Oct 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r5Ly1AUXFM&t=2856s

Lue saying ufos are seen literally every day. Seems like it should be easy enough for one of the ufo hunter groups to put some cameras on a boat/plane and go out to one of the navy practice areas and get some videos. why not done.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

man, give me a tic tac swarm
give me encounters

I've been doing the hemi-sync and all that, what a ripoff

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

munce posted:

Lue saying ufos are seen literally every day. Seems like it should be easy enough for one of the ufo hunter groups to put some cameras on a boat/plane and go out to one of the navy practice areas and get some videos. why not done.

you cant just enter those areas without being shot down/sunk...birds are exepmt!

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

Rah! posted:

ghost ride
go crazy
who's that driving
radar baby

This made me think of Golden Earring's Radar Love.

"I've been drivin' all night
My hand's wet on the wheel
There's a voice in my head
That drives my heel
It's my baby callin'
Says: I need you here
And it's a half past four
And I'm shifting gear

When she is lonely
And the longing gets too much
She sends a cable
Coming in from above
Don't need no phone at all

We've got a thing that's called Radar Love
We've got a wave in the air
Radar Love"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

munce posted:

Getting together with my camera technician friends so we can jump on a small boat to gatecrash the Navy's exercises, hope I see a uap!!!

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Sleekly posted:

you cant just enter those areas without being shot down/sunk...birds are exepmt!

Looks like theres a lot of area to choose from. Stop waiting for a bird to fly over your university avi loeb. Get hunting. I want videos.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

so that's seen everyday only in those areas? also only seen conveniently in the navy/military areas hey? hmm ok :thumbsup:

as usual, talking a big game. but where's my gun cam footage, louis?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

toggle posted:

so that's seen everyday only in those areas? also only seen conveniently in the navy/military areas hey? hmm ok :thumbsup:

as usual, talking a big game. but where's my gun cam footage, louis?

you, uh

you remember the videos that started this whole thing, right?

(but yeah I want more too. gimme more UAP videos and voiceovers by confused fighter pilots.)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

BRO IT'S A DRONE BRO

BRO, DID YOU SEE THAT

I DID BRO, TOTALLY

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Log082 posted:

you, uh

you remember the videos that started this whole thing, right?

(but yeah I want more too. gimme more UAP videos and voiceovers by confused fighter pilots.)

people that are trained and experienced in identifying flying objects getting confused by weird flying objects is the best content

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

blatman posted:

people that are trained and experienced in identifying flying objects getting confused by weird flying objects is the best content

*points out cockpit window* lotta weather balloons out tonight

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

loling at the idea that tictacs are just hanging out 24/7 around coastal areas where the navy does exercises

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Given the amount of credible reported sightings around the world in any given month coupled with the idea that there are likely countless birds unreported/unseen by the general public, it seems very reasonable that there is likely a constant presence.

With certain elements of the military having the most advanced tech in the world when it comes to monitoring the skies and space, the past couple of decades probably has them pissing their pants unless they have a solid grasp on the phenomenon.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Gary Nolan suggested on the "Engaging the Phenomena" podcast that there apparently might be a physical inflammatory response that occurs when a person is afflicted with poltergeist experiences and we should analyze the blood of experiencers at the "peak" of a particular poltergeist flare up. This fringe paranormal biology poo poo is fascinating.

tldr ghosts are stored in the blood.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Some time ago I saw a study linking intense, life changing religious experiences with dramatic alterations in brain function, but I don't know enough about what to look for to be willing to wade through the turdstorm that google has become.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Nolan has dropped even bigger bombs than Lue IMO. This is the kind of thing we (the public) literally had no idea about. Stuff that goes deep into unexplored territory, that we can barely fathom the meaning of.

Slide 9 was huge granted, but most of us in the know figured the military was up to poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Fly Ricky posted:

Nolan has dropped even bigger bombs than Lue IMO. This is the kind of thing we (the public) literally had no idea about. Stuff that goes deep into unexplored territory, that we can barely fathom the meaning of.

Slide 9 was huge granted, but most of us in the know figured the military was up to poo poo like that.

Yeah the stuff that dude is coming out with is straight up bewildering

I still don't know what to make of the guy