Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I'm surprised, but I'm really loving the Slaaneshi faction for attacking settlements. They have a lot of shock units that can exploit openings and get there before defenders, or if all else fails, just blast into weaker units and put them at half health for my infantry to mop up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Is there something lorewise about Ice Witches giving up their names to become magic secret police?

Because every single one I've recruited has been named "Evelina Bebchuck".

Which certainly has highs and lows vis-a-vis gravitas.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

About how long is the tutorial campaign?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

how are the ogres? are they cool/fun? my dumbass boss scheduled a 5pm meeting and i’m stuck at work.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Randalor posted:

Its fairly chonky, but very flavorful

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

So I have a notebook with a 1050Ti and the campaign map murders my computer.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The campaign map definitely makes my gpu unhappy. Fan runs at 100% and temp is somewhere in the 82 zone. :(

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Had two full stacks of Norscans rush me at Kislev while Katarin was away dealing with rebel shits, and I turtled up in the citadel area with towers raining bullshit down and wrecked them. I like the new settlements.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Finished the prologue, what a cool mini campaign.

Thinking ogres for my first real game.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Communist Bear posted:

The campaign map definitely makes my gpu unhappy. Fan runs at 100% and temp is somewhere in the 82 zone. :(

It's not that bad for me, but my cooling system is pretty decent.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

Oh drat, starting as chaos undivided and there's just soooo much stuff to pick. I dunno where to even begin with what to focus on.

Basic advice for how to spend your favour:
  • Your first settlement gives you a free hero. You probably want this to be a caster (as Demon Prince isn't a reliable caster) so not Khorne
  • Your only low level shooting is blue or pink horrors (and almost all your shooting is Tzeentch); get an early Tzeentch minor settlement even if you don't want a major one for blue horrors.
  • The two significant campaign buffs come from Khorne's bloodletting and Nurgle's plagues; rush these. Seduction and teleporting armies occasionally are both useful but not so necessary.
  • Unaligned favour is almost worthless early on (although it's probably the best in the late game after you've dedicated). It only unlocks body parts and you need units to make an army and not to just try and fight with furies and hounds.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Randalor posted:

Two to three hours.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Pheeew

For an "easy" campaign Kat has a pretty rough start. Norscans plus rats plus token enemy same-faction all at once is an endurance run that I failed because I meandered to auto resolve to many times :v:

I do appreciate the increasingly more silly tradition of starting with the map of literally your own kingdom as unknown and obscured tho

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Trillhouse posted:

how are the ogres? are they cool/fun? my dumbass boss scheduled a 5pm meeting and i’m stuck at work.

Greasus seems insanely overpowered and rich, and I had a fun event where they discovered ketchup

The battle engine does seem to be borked a bit atm for everyone though

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I love how you can tell what type of corruption is going on in an area just by looking at it.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

man some of these siege maps are gorgeous but kairos just got stuck on nothing and wouldn't move while he got melted by towers. have had several pathing issues, if they've made improvements to pathing AI it's hard to notice.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
The IE map thumbnail is loving Monkey.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Game runs smoothly and looks great. Started with Kislev and battles are insane wiyh almost every unit having a ranged attack and Katarin zooming around slowing enemies down.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

man some of these siege maps are gorgeous but kairos just got stuck on nothing and wouldn't move while he got melted by towers. have had several pathing issues, if they've made improvements to pathing AI it's hard to notice.

Yeah I wish they made some of the passages wider, I keep getting this thing where I can't drag a unit box into the space I want

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Kazzah posted:

Yeah I wish they made some of the passages wider, I keep getting this thing where I can't drag a unit box into the space I want

I think this is part of my problem too because at least in the kislev settlements it really feels like every lane needs to be 1.5x as big as they are

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Work from home and had a calm day so lots of time for WH3! Started as Slaanesh and is currently busy corrupting empire factions while catching souls and building up my two first provinces. Invaded Khornes realm first because duh and now racing for Slaanesh against Greasus.

Killed everyone I start at war with except Skarbrand, gave him a trampstamp and kicked him out a few times then he came begging for peace lol :v:

Game owns, I have had a few pathfinding issues in small settlements but nothing major, corners have always been the bane of pathing AI in Total War. Plans heading forward is getting N'Karis sword, collect the dragonballs while vassalizing the entire Empire and maybe get some Empire Handguns into my army because why not?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Turn Fog to low 10000x to improve your campaign map meltdowns. It gave me like 15fps

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Captain Beans posted:

Turn Fog to low 10000x to improve your campaign map meltdowns. It gave me like 15fps

the funniest thing is they have known about this since like atilla and refuse to do anything about it

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Flavahbeast posted:

The prologue plot feels like a intentional homage to another rts

I loved it. It makes me long for Warcraft 4. If CA is wondering where to take the series next, that seems a great direction to go. Total War: Warhammer - Warcraft 3 would be an amazing game.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Okay, so played a little bit more ogres. It looks like if you're in the range of camps then your armies just straight up don't consume meat, while your big boys will still consume meat if they're just garrisoned without a camp in range. So I suppose in the early game you will probably want to make a camp near your starting settlement. You probably want one there anyways since most of your units are tied to camps and not settlements and you need time for it to grow.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Third World Reagan posted:

the funniest thing is they have known about this since like atilla and refuse to do anything about it

Units - 5fps
Trees - 3fps
Fog - 10000fps
Buildings - 8 fps

Someone please help me optimise my game my framerates are dying.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

Units - 5fps
Trees - 3fps
Fog - 10000fps
Buildings - 8 fps

Someone please help me optimise my game my framerates are dying.

Cut the trees.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

This game would rather I die than alt+tab it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Randalor posted:

Cut the trees.

Are you sure players won't complain if we change the trees?

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

This game would rather I die than alt+tab it.

I'm able to alt tab okay running in windowed mode. Had to restart the game after changing that setting though in order for the mouse cursor to work correctly

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I have had a LOT of minor settlement fights with Ogres where poo poo gets stuck. Sometimes it's enemy units that seem to be in terrain or something and my units can't find pathing, once it happened on the Ogre map main capture point, some Trappers stood behind the flag on the edge of the cliff and my units wouldn't move to them if I told them to attack, I had to move-command them up close for attacks to happen.

Other times units just stop moving. I give them a move command a decent distance away towards the next control point with like 1 routing enemy in the way, and they just keep stopping. Incredibly annoying.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'll be open palm slamming the Minor Settlement = Field Battle mod into my folder as soon as its made

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I've only had one field battle so far and it was me reinforcing my ally

Amoxicilina
Oct 21, 2008
So officially now I suppose, I've been patiently waiting 7 years to play as Nurgle. I am not disappointed at all. The animation and sound design really is superb. Every Nurgle unit is just sooo excitedly happy to just be, and to spread love and gonorrhea and rear end juice!

But holy gently caress are they slow. I'm ok with that though.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Man, that big map leak has a lot of potential. I wish there was a bit more water west of Naggaroth, but beyond that... holy poo poo that's the entire WH world (with the exception of Nippon, to no one's surprise).

Ind and Khuresh are there but likely not playable, or full of lizardmen or something. But the rest of the map looks good. I'm hoping the final one is something like that, because I NEED IT.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Other than the tutorial, are there any good total war guides I can watch online? Either for Warhammer or Three Kingdoms.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

After the second tutorial battle, my unit sizes all switched to smaller unit sizes. In menu, it says the unit size is still large, but my guys all have 40-something men. Save reload did not change. Anyone else faced this?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Other than the tutorial, are there any good total war guides I can watch online? Either for Warhammer or Three Kingdoms.

For Three Kingdoms - user Serious Trivia is your holy grail. From general guides, period lore, battles mechanics, to literal step by step early game openers, ect.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV2U5Ov1FXfALwZ5-EcVN5usNl-VX4yQy
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV2U5Ov1FXfD7b6DVMxxe49UAh2gSqkfA
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV2U5Ov1FXfBg_xaB9kqGDggvELoK15wn

For Warhammer - user Party Elite has a great series covering the game mechanics from A to Z
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwVftHdWAdHNOJ-PMquSZMVVAGWIq2TVQ

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If Ind and Khuresh are on the map then even if CA doesn't do anything with them we can at least expect some kitbashed OVN stuff.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Does Tzeentch have a stalk stance or something? Because during my try of Cathay I was continually getting into situations where I should have been getting a straight up fight but instead got pushed into an ambush with the defending Tzeentch army as the attacker. Was annoying when it was just the roving stacks that pop out of portals/gently caress around in the Storm Dragon's starting areas, made me quit out when it was a roid'd up Kairos stack and instead of getting to pull off my meticulous ambush, he managed to grind through my two support stacks through these buggy, very pre-changes Skaven ambushes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Captain Beans posted:

For Three Kingdoms - user Serious Trivia is your holy grail. From general guides, period lore, battles mechanics, to literal step by step early game openers, ect.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV2U5Ov1FXfALwZ5-EcVN5usNl-VX4yQy
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV2U5Ov1FXfD7b6DVMxxe49UAh2gSqkfA
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV2U5Ov1FXfBg_xaB9kqGDggvELoK15wn

For Warhammer - user Party Elite has a great series covering the game mechanics from A to Z
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwVftHdWAdHNOJ-PMquSZMVVAGWIq2TVQ

drat, thanks! Exactly what I needed