Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Thanks for a shitload of recommendations, thread! Added everything listed that's available on crunchyroll, gonna start with Cromartie High School

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I should add that if you do make it to Gintama, start with episode 3. Episodes 1 and 2 are filler for the manga readers as a thank you/celebration of it getting animated and make even less sense than the shows typical gag comedy routine because it assumes you already know all of the characters.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just recently started getting into reading manga but want to support someone other than Amazon for my physical purchases, is there a preferred place that everyone likes to buy their books? I'm in the US assuming that matters.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Photex posted:

Just recently started getting into reading manga but want to support someone other than Amazon for my physical purchases, is there a preferred place that everyone likes to buy their books? I'm in the US assuming that matters.

I've only used them for anime and not manga, but Rightstuf has generally been a good retailer. Also Books-a-Million has been my go-to for physical books in general and they have a whole manga section too.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Srice posted:

I've only used them for anime and not manga, but Rightstuf has generally been a good retailer. Also Books-a-Million has been my go-to for physical books in general and they have a whole manga section too.

i'll stick with BAM and Rightstuf then, there is a BAM near me and that's where I picked up a few and got hooked.

Thanks!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rightstuf has discounts if you preorder but you're mostly offsetting the shipping with it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Kinokuniya if there’s one around

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

There's also https://bookshop.org/ which connects with small book stores around the country.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Is Hanebado any good? I saw this amv, and seems pretty dope.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

It was pretty good IMO, definitely leans real hard into the melodrama. If you want you can also read the manga on top of it, the anime and the manga have the same general plot points but they diverge a lot in the presentation and details, and the manga goes further on than the anime. Like the manga slowly transforms from comedy to drama while the anime goes full drama episode 1. Manga art's great as well.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

AlternateNu posted:

I don't typically watch sports shows but I enjoyed it a lot. The fantastic animation got me hooked, and I really like what they did with the protagonist's characterization as the series went on.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ibblebibble posted:

It was pretty good IMO, definitely leans real hard into the melodrama.

Wow. You weren't lying. :stare:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I'm looking for recs.

Looking for something kind of slow-paced, positive, maybe slice-of-life without any casually horny poo poo in it. You know, comments about boob size or whatever. Big plus if it's about adults instead of teens. BIG plus if it's got simple, non-slang dialogue. I have a friend learning Japanese who is looking for some nice stuff to watch that isn't turbohorny and it'd be cool if I could find something like that to recommend.

Supernatural elements are welcome, but not required!

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 1, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

not sure how simple the language in moribito is but it seems like a solid pick here

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tiny Myers posted:

I'm looking for recs.

Looking for something kind of slow-paced, positive, maybe slice-of-life without any casually horny poo poo in it. You know, comments about boob size or whatever. Big plus if it's about adults instead of teens. BIG plus if it's got simple, non-slang dialogue. I have a friend learning Japanese who is looking for some nice stuff to watch that isn't turbohorny and it'd be cool if I could find something like that to recommend.

In order of how much I personally liked the show:

Natsume Yuujinchou (mostly teens)
Hanada Shounen-shi (elementary school kids)
Polar Bear Cafe (they're all adults but also mostly animals)
Flying Witch (more of an ensemble mix iirc but the lead is a teen)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tiny Myers posted:

I'm looking for recs.

Odd Taxi might do the trick. Also Restaurant to Another World.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mushi shi

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Tiny Myers posted:

I'm looking for recs.

aria (Supernatural ) half adults/half teens
non non biyori (no Supernatural ). children

all no horny. both have simple dialogue. aria has 1 char that talks a bit with slang, but its not that hard

Davincie fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 1, 2022

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

I'm looking for recs.

Doesn't really fit the simple language part but Sakura Quest was a decent show about adults working to revitalise a town out in the countryside.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Tiny Myers posted:

I'm looking for recs.

Seconding Restaurant to Another World, Polar Bear Cafe and Flying Witch. Odd-Taxi is extremely good but it does get kind of heavy, so keep that in mind.
Violet Evergarden (drama), Saint Young Men (comedy) and Heaven's Design Team (comedy) could also fit the bill.

Closer to the teen age range, Laid-back Camp is exactly what it says on the tin. Haven't gotten around to watching it just yet so can't confirm how it is on language and tone, though.
Marimashita! Iruma-kun! (boy gets transfered to spoopy demon high school, befriends everyone) is positive, unhorny and supernatural, but not particularly slow-paced.

If you're okay with live-action shows, I also suggest Minight Diner: Tokyo Stories. It's extremely chill.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Both Yuru Camp and Non Non Biyori are very much slow, chill and not horny.

NNB has one beach episode which is a bit ??? but it's very minor stuff. It more than makes up for it throughout the rest of the show. Also it's a full adaptation which is also great.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tiny Myers posted:

I'm looking for recs.

K-on is good for this.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Do be mindful there are like two or three instances in S1 of their homeroom teacher being a bit of a perv which can be a bit ehhhh for whatever it's worth my mom loved the show the most out of all the SoL anime she's seen so it's definitely very minor stuff. It's stuff like "I could tell it was you and not your sister because of the size of your boobs" or w/e

Still very much a great show, just wanting to let you know in advance lol

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Odd Taxi might do the trick. Also Restaurant to Another World.

odd taxi is a great show but odd rec for someone looking for "something kind of slow-paced, positive, maybe slice-of-life"

anyways im seconding Natsume Yuujinchou

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tiny Myers posted:

I'm looking for recs.

From days ago but if you are still looking for more recs My Roommate Is A Cat and Sweetness & Lightning might be worth checking out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Friend of mine wants fantasy and medieval anime suggestions and I can't really be a good source since I'm not that big a fan. I recommended Vinland Saga and Berserk since I do like those shows, and he doesn't want isekai shows.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

How grounded does it need to be? Rage of bahamut: genesis is a pretty fun fantasy anime

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Friend of mine wants fantasy and medieval anime suggestions and I can't really be a good source since I'm not that big a fan. I recommended Vinland Saga and Berserk since I do like those shows, and he doesn't want isekai shows.
2019 Dororo if medieval Japan works, no idea on the quality of the 1960s version.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Maria the Virgin Witch.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

Maria the Virgin Witch.

Seconding this. The heroic legend of arslan is worth looking at too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Srice posted:

Maria the Virgin Witch.

That's the 100 Years War one right?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

That's the 100 Years War one right?

Yep!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

Yona of the Dawn

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arc Hammer posted:

Seirei no Moribito (Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit)

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Seconding Moribito, it was fantastic. Twelve Kingdoms would also be an option (though it is technically an Isekai, it is so different from the current Isekai crop that it would be akin to calling Gulliver's Travels an Isekai).

Malsangoroth fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 10, 2022

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Scrapped Princess, Spice and Wolf, and while its more greek mythology than castles and poo poo, the 80's YAS flick Arion is prolly worth a look. There's also The Witcher movie on netflix.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Arc Hammer posted:

there's been plenty of excellent anime recs, if he might be interested in manga recs, there's quite a lot of them that have(yet) to be adapted to anime.

my personal top shelf series that might fit the bill:
Delicious in Dungeon - a group of adventurers descend to the depths of a dungeon to rescue a party member they lost. They are poor, so must make do with cooking and eating the monsters they fight, with very detailed methods of preparing fictional creatures for eating. Probably my favorite series, period. Just incredibly well made in every way, art, writing, characters, story, worldbuilding, humor, everything.
Henkyou no Roukishi - Bard Loen - an elderly retired knight goes on a journey to find his final resting place, and enjoy good food along the way. A really, really strong fantasy setting with excellent storytelling and fantastic characters.
Frieren: Beyond Journey's End - follows a nearly immortal elf through her journeys.
Heterogeneous Linguistics - a traveling linguist in a world of monsters, who aims to learn the languages of various monster races. One of the most fascinating series I've ever read, it focuses so hard on creating such in-depth methods of communication between various races and how their cultures work outside of typical human understanding.
Helck - Helck was an ADTRW darling for a while, and recently was announced will be getting an anime. Follows the titular character and his companions in uncovering the truth of their world, a very solid(and often very silly) fantasy series.
Ancient Magus Bride - not medieval per se, but deals almost entirely with european fae and mystical creatures and mythology in a way I haven't really encountered in many other manga or anime. outstanding characters and worldbuilding. Has an anime, I haven't watched it but hear it's very good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arc Hammer posted:

You and your friend appear to have not seen Ranking of Kings. This should be remedied immediately.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

A few years ago YouTube kept recommending me clips from an anime, but I don't remember what it was called. It was a bunch of beefy guys beating the poo poo out of each other, and it looked relatively modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Baki?