Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A few 1800s dudes had a brilliant scheme to build a canal from Utah to the SF Bay, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A few 1800s dudes had a brilliant scheme to build a canal from Utah to the SF Bay, iirc.

Just how many locks would be needed for such insanity, goddamn.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Arrath posted:

Me, just after Dyson Sphering every star I don't have a colony around in Stellaris: "We're gonna fuckin find out!"

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Arrath posted:

0 if youre determined enough

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
this quote, from the dev replies on the monument dev diary, has me more hyped for Vic3 than pretty much anything:

quote:

[Access rules for canals is] functionality we do want to add, but haven't yet, so it's not something I can promise at release. There's a small bundle of potential mechanics oriented around control of narrow naval passages I'd like to explore, so I don't want to prioritize shoehorning in special mechanics only for canals that will rarely have an impact if we can create something more coherent and universally applicable instead.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cease to Hope posted:

this quote, from the dev replies on the monument dev diary, has me more hyped for Vic3 than pretty much anything:

Sounds like we need a series of straits diaries asap.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
At last that East vs West stolen code is going to be put to good use!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I hope building your own monuments is something added post-release. One of the annoying things about the monuments in EU4 is that even where the game inevitably diverges into alt-history, there are these monuments on the map that only reflect real-world history. I think being able to build your own monumental buildings/locations/statues/etc would address that issue and make the whole mechanic more clearly about simulating some structures having unique cultural importance.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Red Bones posted:

I hope building your own monuments is something added post-release. One of the annoying things about the monuments in EU4 is that even where the game inevitably diverges into alt-history, there are these monuments on the map that only reflect real-world history. I think being able to build your own monumental buildings/locations/statues/etc would address that issue and make the whole mechanic more clearly about simulating some structures having unique cultural importance.
Better be able to build Tatlin’s Tower for the good Soviet ending.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Red Bones posted:

Monument designer DLC when?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Soylent Pudding posted:

Diplomatic play added: Bully the UK for some of the Stonehenge rock for your own monument project.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Arrath posted:

Diplomatic play added: Bully the UK for some of the Stonehenge rock for your own monument project.

Needs to be an achievement for doing this as Greece

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Soylent Pudding posted:

They did one for Imperator so I'd be kind of surprised if they don't do it eventually

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

RabidWeasel posted:

They did one for Imperator so I'd be kind of surprised if they don't do it eventually

The dev responses in the forums actually say the reason the game is launching with 11 monuments in pre-set locations, rather than allowing you to put a monument in a different province (or presumably create your own monuments wherever) is because they want to make sure the in-game models look nice on the map, and if you can put a monument in any province then you have to double-check none of the provinces make monuments spawn like, in the ocean or halfway inside a hill. Which is very understandable, there's much higher priority things to spend dev time on.

I'm guessing monument DLC will come whenever they have the time to get some poor intern to manually check every single province for correct monument placement.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1496892930979602460

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
So, literally just archeology from Stellaris.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
also just CK.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I like the grand exhibition mechanic that is mentioned in the same DD. Sometimes Paradox games aren't very good at giving a tangible sense of feedback for being successful, other than the numbers in an economy menu getting larger and the name on the map getting bigger. Even if the exhibition is just a slideshow of pictures and captions, I think it's still neat to have an additional non-military, non-numeric way of visualising the successes of the player. Maybe they can develop it further into a museum or something in a future expansion. Collecting copyright-free jpgs and mp3s of historical art and classical music was a nice way of enriching the cultural victory mechanics in Civilisation, in sort of the same vein.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

I can't wait for the mod in the first week that adds Lovecraftian expeditions to the Antarctic and the middle of the Pacific. :allears:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the system seems fine i guess. i feel like these types of minigames get stale after the first couple of times you play them though

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

VostokProgram posted:

the system seems fine i guess. i feel like these types of minigames get stale after the first couple of times you play them though

Yeah, like the first time you encounter some anomalies in stellaris it's really cool. Then it becomes just an annoying goodie collection mechanic you rapidly click through. The first time you encounter a particular archeology dig it's kinda neat, you don't know what's going to happen. then you do, and it's always the same and sucks.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Some of the digs and anomalies have a few random outcomes so it's not always the same. For example I think the trenchworld dig has at least three.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Even if they have random endings, repeating story content of that nature just teaches players to quickly click through them without paying attention, which is probably not what you want to encourage.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DrSunshine posted:

I can't wait for the mod in the first week that adds Lovecraftian expeditions to the Antarctic and the middle of the Pacific. :allears:

I'm as excited for the inevitable lovecraft mod as the base game. Especially as someone who likes his terrible prose. Modders can do it without the racism :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm as excited for the inevitable lovecraft mod as the base game. Especially as someone who likes his terrible prose. Modders can do it without the racism :v:

Why do I have the suspicion that modders will actually crank the racism up to 11 and overuse the word "swarthy" in that context? :negative:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Why do I have the suspicion that modders will actually crank the racism up to 11 and overuse the word "swarthy" in that context? :negative:

long experience

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I look forward to the mod that has things seeming extremely Lovecraftian, and then you send in an explorer who isn't racist and discover that the first guy was just a dumb racist

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I look forward to the mod that has things seeming extremely Lovecraftian, and then you send in an explorer who isn't racist and discover that the first guy was just a dumb racist

That's what the alternate endings are for! Alt 1: Racist ramblings, minor prestige bonus; Alt 2: enlightened (relatively) explorer finds some neat flora/fauna/local medicinal knowledge, more prestige and some research points; Alt 3: :cthulhu:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I don't know if it was common, but that era had at least a few notable scams, so it's plausible that you might finance an expedition from a con artist.

This guy sold bonds and land deeds to what turned out to be uninhabitable jungle:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_MacGregor

I kind of like the idea that you could send off an expedition with amazing and fantastical results, and a follow-up a few years later reveals that the first guy fabricated the whole thing. Not necessarily a disaster or waste though, maybe now that the expedition is really happening you'll get something different and actually real.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Seems like it'd do well as something like a Stellaris event sequence

e: finally reading the dev diary and i love it!

from the dev diary

quote:

The decision to trigger the Grand Exhibition will give you a Journal Entry and a countdown to make it as great as you can. You can do so by special exhibition events,

Can't wait to make some human zoos in Vicky3

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 28, 2022

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Desperate to hold an Exhibition as Greece where the centerpiece is Stonehenge.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Quorum posted:

:sickos:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Quorum posted:

This better be an achievement

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Quorum posted:

Same but for having a treaty port in the UK as China.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Quorum posted:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1498674434479169542

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Reasonable. Having Wonder races in a less abstracted gamey-game than Civ seems a bit odd.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Reasonable. Having Wonder races in a less abstracted gamey-game than Civ seems a bit odd.

It's more like CK special buildings/great projects and EU monuments, in that they're specific buildings that are in specific locations.

I don't have a problem with it, more game options is more good IMO, I just wonder why it's a problem in Vicky and not CK or EU.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I guess maybe some of the complaints are that it's just arbitrary buffs to specific countries? Especially since there's not very many of them. Like CK3 has a lot of special building options all over the place so there's always going to be one in the neighbourhood for you to build/conquer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Hellioning posted:

It's more like CK special buildings/great projects and EU monuments, in that they're specific buildings that are in specific locations.

I don't have a problem with it, more game options is more good IMO, I just wonder why it's a problem in Vicky and not CK or EU.

Vicky vibes/themes are different. It's supposed to be less "gamey" than EU and less in-character interpersonal than CK so the transposition of similar mechanics can clash with the overall narrative of the game if they're implemented poorly