Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they let me buy my laptop after remote disabling all the work crap for 50 bux

p good deal for 3 years ago mbp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

BRICKFACE posted:

I didn't and they remote bricked it and now I have a doorstop. check.

How "bricked" is it? Can you replace the hard drive?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Armauk posted:

How "bricked" is it? Can you replace the hard drive?

Doubt it. That's not how Apple MDM works from the big vendors that nearly everyone uses. It's bricked bricked.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
It's not bricked-bricked because you can always reactivate it via the MDM. It just won't let you boot until that's done.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

fourwood posted:

Yep, I get a very token WFH budget that just gets added into my usual W2 wages. So I will 100% never use it to buy anything work-related.

Oh, this was a seperate line item in one of the boxes

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Plorkyeran posted:

It's not bricked-bricked because you can always reactivate it via the MDM. It just won't let you boot until that's done.

Sorry, I meant from the perspective of "anyone who doesn't have admin on the MDM software".

BRICKFACE
Apr 20, 2002

I BITE

Motronic posted:

Sorry, I meant from the perspective of "anyone who doesn't have admin on the MDM software".
yes, sorry, this is the case with the thing. what's infuriating is someone gave me the secret secret local admin password once during a remote assistance session and I just ... didn't write it down. live and learn.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
In more than one place I've worked at the secret local admin password was [company name][current year].

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Went for the informal interview at the place where my ex project owner wanted to get me hired. Ran into another old colleague. Got the call today that they're very interested and asked me what I expected as far as compensation goes. I told them we can discuss it after nailing down the role some more (I have no idea what they want me to do) so we're going to have another talk.

While there's some cool people there I would like to work with, my current gig is super cushy. It's going to take some serious dough to get me to become a consultant. If I can get a competitive offer I could risk using that to negotiate better pay where I currently am, although having only been there for 7 months it would be pretty cheeky.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

thotsky posted:

Went for the informal interview at the place where my ex project owner wanted to get me hired. Ran into another old colleague. Got the call today that they're very interested and asked me what I expected as far as compensation goes. I told them we can discuss it after nailing down the role some more (I have no idea what they want me to do) so we're going to have another talk.

While there's some cool people there I would like to work with, my current gig is super cushy. It's going to take some serious dough to get me to become a consultant. If I can get a competitive offer I could risk using that to negotiate better pay where I currently am, although having only been there for 7 months it would be pretty cheeky.

You should know their ballpark: it'd suck to spend more time with them only to find out that they have $50k less budget than you thought.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

BRICKFACE posted:

yes, sorry, this is the case with the thing. what's infuriating is someone gave me the secret secret local admin password once during a remote assistance session and I just ... didn't write it down. live and learn.

If it makes you feel better, if the laptop has a T2 chip then that password wouldn't help you once activation lock is enabled. There's a separate bypass code which is used only for locally disabling activation lock.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ensign Expendable posted:

In more than one place I've worked at the secret local admin password was [company name][current year].

My favorite was "bluemoon[year password was last changed]"

It did not change the several years I was there

BRICKFACE
Apr 20, 2002

I BITE
only thing I remember about the password as I was typing it in was, "this is complicated" so I'm pretty positive I would not be able to guess it

Plorkyeran posted:

If it makes you feel better, if the laptop has a T2 chip then that password wouldn't help you once activation lock is enabled. There's a separate bypass code which is used only for locally disabling activation lock.

that does actually

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I have an offer for a job that sounds like a boring dead end to me but it’s 30% more than my current job. Current job that I am semi happy with based on work life balance but pays terribly won’t even come close to matching the offer. Just posting here because this is the worst first world problem.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

rally posted:

I have an offer for a job that sounds like a boring dead end to me but it’s 30% more than my current job. Current job that I am semi happy with based on work life balance but pays terribly won’t even come close to matching the offer. Just posting here because this is the worst first world problem.

That the 30% job, and use that position to get an even higher paid job that actually sounds alright.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

thotsky posted:

That the 30% job, and use that position to get an even higher paid job that actually sounds alright.

In the past I have taken the 30% better paying job where I couldn't use it to get a better job because it was a dead end job with no networking opportunities, no mentorship, and no overlap in the direction I wanted to take my career.

I might do it again, but I would only do so if I could come up with a solid exit plan before going in.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Don't take 30% dead-end job that boxes you in though. Like, don't become a Cobol jockey unless thats really what you want to do.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this differs a fair bit whether its 50k -> 65k vs 300k -> 400k tho

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

Don't take 30% dead-end job that boxes you in though. Like, don't become a Cobol jockey unless thats really what you want to do.

I keep hearing about how nobody can do Cobol so a small number of old people get paid a ton to write it. At work, though, I hear about our Cobol teams being composed of offshore contractors who don't know about version control.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I guess those don't have to be mutually exclusive :ohdear:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
In fact, I think you answered your own question about that scenario.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

bob dobbs is dead posted:

this differs a fair bit whether its 50k -> 65k vs 300k -> 400k tho

This is 100->130. My current employer MIGHT be able to get me to 115 with “the promise of a promotion this year” which would be another 8% bump. They claim I would be the highest paid engineer at my level in that case but I can plainly see job listings at my level where the salary range goes to the low 120s. told them if they can get to low 120s I would probably stay since the total comp would essentially line up but now I’m talking myself into leaving and just continuing the job search while I make 30% more. I could probably squeeze a few more thousand out of it too since silence got me from 125 to 130.

rally fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 18, 2022

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

cum jabbar posted:

I keep hearing about how nobody can do Cobol so a small number of old people get paid a ton to write it. At work, though, I hear about our Cobol teams being composed of offshore contractors who don't know about version control.

I'll give you a hint: there's a reason why no developers ever move into cobol for the pay raise, and it isn't because of anything related to cobol. The only people getting paid a ton to work on cobol are the people getting lured out of retirement to help out on a system that no one left at the company understands any more.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

rally posted:

They claim I would be the highest paid engineer at my level in that case but I can plainly see job listings at my level where the salary range goes to the low 120s. told them if they can get to low 120s I would probably stay since

Your employer is going to find out one way or the other that the market is going to move with or without them, and replacing valuable talent is $Expensive

Maybe tell them you'll sign a 2 year NDA about your salary if they get you to $122, or something, or that if you're the highest paid engineer at that level, go ahead and recommend you for a promotion. It's hard as gently caress to get anyone to move right now without paying top of market, dunno where you're at but $125 is not outrageous in most markets these days. If your reg date is 2002 then you can probably swing at least that, at any shop

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

rally posted:

This is 100->130. My current employer MIGHT be able to get me to 115 with “the promise of a promotion this year” which would be another 8% bump. They claim I would be the highest paid engineer at my level in that case but I can plainly see job listings at my level where the salary range goes to the low 120s. told them if they can get to low 120s I would probably stay since the total comp would essentially line up but now I’m talking myself into leaving and just continuing the job search while I make 30% more. I could probably squeeze a few more thousand out of it too since silence got me from 125 to 130.

:sever:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

rally posted:

Every company is different but I heard a lot of similar stuff from my employer when I was going to quit. When push came to shove, they caved. They couldn't exactly match what I had on the table (can't get public stock in a privately owned company), but they made up for it well enough for me to stick around.

My situation was fairly similar, too -- it would have been a step backwards career wise but for significantly more money and less job security, which didn't sit well with me because I'm risk averse. I hate upsetting routine, have a bunch of lame old man problems despite not quite being 40, and I like knowing exactly how far I can push slacking off while still being considered an outstanding employee.

If your risk tolerance is higher than mine, there's no reason not to aggressively chase maximum dollars.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hi friendly goons.

I am a Registered Nurse, currently working in Public Health. I am feeling the wear and tear of being ground into the dirt for the last 2.5 years while making considerably less than my peers working in the Hospital. However, I don't want to literally kill myself going back into patient care.

I'm interested in the possibilities of leveraging my interest in computers and background in healthcare into something health-IT-computer related. Like Health Informatics or some kind of health software field.

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to start with this? I don't have any knowledge of programming beyond high school C++ classes 15 years ago :v:

I just want something new, preferably that pays better and/or has some telework options.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I had a coworker who was an RN, went through a four year computer science program, then we hired him (our company is in what could loosely be called health informatics). My team's focus is on extracting information from patient records, which is very vague but I don't feel like doxxing myself. In this guy's case, all he needed was the basic programming ability, his domain knowledge was the standout.

(I use the past tense because he burned out and quit during the pandemic :smith:)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I had a coworker who was an RN, went through a four year computer science program, then we hired him (our company is in what could loosely be called health informatics). My team's focus is on extracting information from patient records, which is very vague but I don't feel like doxxing myself. In this guy's case, all he needed was the basic programming ability, his domain knowledge was the standout.

(I use the past tense because he burned out and quit during the pandemic :smith:)

Sorry to hear that. Its been a rough couple of years for everyone even remotely connected to healthcare.

So, I'm thinking I should start with getting some basic knowledge of programming - I hear a lot of talk about Python these days. Is that a decently useful language, or would there be something more useful from a health informatics point of view?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Annath posted:

Hi friendly goons.

I am a Registered Nurse, currently working in Public Health. I am feeling the wear and tear of being ground into the dirt for the last 2.5 years while making considerably less than my peers working in the Hospital. However, I don't want to literally kill myself going back into patient care.

I'm interested in the possibilities of leveraging my interest in computers and background in healthcare into something health-IT-computer related. Like Health Informatics or some kind of health software field.

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to start with this? I don't have any knowledge of programming beyond high school C++ classes 15 years ago :v:

I just want something new, preferably that pays better and/or has some telework options.

You could also swap into customer support side and try to pivot that into product. CSM probably won't pay more than RN, but you also won't be full in that environment.

That's the best way to do it without going back to school.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

kayakyakr posted:

You could also swap into customer support side and try to pivot that into product. CSM probably won't pay more than RN, but you also won't be full in that environment.

That's the best way to do it without going back to school.

I currently make about $62K/year, so it's not hard to beat my current pay.

What's the pay like for a "CSM"? Is that Customer Support Manager?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
My interviews went great. My contact wants me more in a managerial role though. It feels good to have someone else see you much further along then you do yourself, and I don't really love coding anyway. I guess I will see what their offer is like. It's a risk, but I probably can afford to take a year to risk at doing something way out of my comfort zone; going back to coding won't be a huge problem if it does not pan out.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Annath posted:

Sorry to hear that. Its been a rough couple of years for everyone even remotely connected to healthcare.

So, I'm thinking I should start with getting some basic knowledge of programming - I hear a lot of talk about Python these days. Is that a decently useful language, or would there be something more useful from a health informatics point of view?

He's alive and now has a kid but that's all we know, completely fell off the face of the earth :/

My team does python, it's the language of choice for machine learning and adjacent things due to the libraries. We also use python for a lot of one off scripts, data cleaning, and proof of concept apps that end up in production :shepface:

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Annath posted:

You're more than welcome to hang out and ask questions here, but you might have better responses in the Newbie programming thread (a lot of post there too!) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376083

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Annath posted:

Hi friendly goons.

How much would you be willing to leverage your experience as a nurse towards software in the medical domain?

I'm generally asking this without specifically knowing that domain at all and how that culture works, but I know there's a whole world around medical software and the finicky nature of compliance that they have to deal with in everything. That culture might be a just another Tuesday for you.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How much would you be willing to leverage your experience as a nurse towards software in the medical domain?

I'm generally asking this without specifically knowing that domain at all and how that culture works, but I know there's a whole world around medical software and the finicky nature of compliance that they have to deal with in everything. That culture might be a just another Tuesday for you.

Leveraging my experience with Healthcare into something tech/software related is exactly what I am looking for.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Annath posted:

Leveraging my experience with Healthcare into something tech/software related is exactly what I am looking for.

Friends don't let friends work in healthcare. It's a bigger meme in the industry than games re low wages, long hours, low quality code.

I forget the thread, but there's been a few where people described their experience in healthcare writing mumps.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

edit: I can't read this early. The market is such that you don't need to necessarily rely on that leverage if you'd like a clean break from healthcare. It may be a good foot in the door though.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I worked in that field for a while; I think as a project/technical project manager at software company in the field, your experience would be helpful. I occasionally came across ICD 10 codes but having the shark attack and jet engine ones memorized didn't do much for me beyond make people laugh around the water cooler. Given two equal candidates I'm sure they'd pick the RN through