Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

magic cactus posted:

Are there any "dreamlike" or "hallucinatory" action movies out there? Other than Only God Forgives and Valhalla Rising I can't think of too many.

Annihilation, The Thin Red Line, probably not quite action movies as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Oh, and speaking of Nic Cage, you might like Mandy. Not much of an action movie for a very, very long stretch but it gets there eventually, sort of

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

regulargonzalez posted:

Annihilation, The Thin Red Line, probably not quite action movies as such.

Seen both of these thanks for the rec though!

morestuff posted:

Oh, and speaking of Nic Cage, you might like Mandy. Not much of an action movie for a very, very long stretch but it gets there eventually, sort of

Mandy is fantastic, but I've already seen it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Mobile Suit Gundam post

Thanks for the rec, I dig mechs so Im going to check this out! The original MSG has a full series and an abridged 3 movie version: would you reccomend watching the full series or should I just watch the 3 movies?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

magic cactus posted:

Are there any "dreamlike" or "hallucinatory" action movies out there? Other than Only God Forgives and Valhalla Rising I can't think of too many.

Have you looked into Seijun Suzuki? He was a work-for hire director of Yakuza films, but eventually he got balcklisted by the studio because his movies got too weird. Like Tokyo Drifter, where the entire finale action set piece took place on this set

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kvlt! posted:

Thanks for the rec, I dig mechs so Im going to check this out! The original MSG has a full series and an abridged 3 movie version: would you reccomend watching the full series or should I just watch the 3 movies?

Since you are specifically after the portrayal of characters in war, definitely the series. The movies are fine if you just want the story, but the series goes way more in depth with the characters.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

magic cactus posted:

Aquire: The Wrath of God

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Since you are specifically after the portrayal of characters in war, definitely the series. The movies are fine if you just want the story, but the series goes way more in depth with the characters.

Sounds good, looks like one of my streaming services has the full series so I'm gonna jump in. Thank you!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Gripweed posted:

Tokyo Drifter

I love that movie. It's so weird. Good rec though, thanks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Looking for more genuinely hilarious and weird low budget movies, sci fi is a plus. I loved The American Astronaut and Dark Star for example.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

tuyop posted:

Looking for more genuinely hilarious and weird low budget movies, sci fi is a plus. I loved The American Astronaut and Dark Star for example.

The Alien Factor is my favorite of these and I love this genre. Hilarious, weird, as low budget as it comes, tons of charm and heart, and a lot of really cool aliens/monsters!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

tuyop posted:

this is more on the sci-fi end and less "hilarious" but God Told Me To is a very strange trip. Starts out as kind of police procedural and gets real weird real fast.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

tuyop posted:

History of Future Folk. It’s on Netflix.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Last Lovecraft

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tuyop posted:

Wild Zero
Zebraman
Technically the first season of Lexx is four movies that were edited into episodes for TV broadcast, so the first season of Lexx

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Looking for movies with extremely hare-brained plot twists, for example Serenity (2019), The Tall Man (2012), I See You (2019)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Stay’s ending is pretty notoriously stupid even as a riff on a more common twist

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

married but discreet posted:

Looking for movies with extremely hare-brained plot twists, for example Serenity (2019), The Tall Man (2012), I See You (2019)

Wild Things

Boxing Helena

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Absolutely, 100% Identity (2003). The recent Korean Netflix original The Call (2020). I dunno if A Perfect Getaway quite qualifies but I always loving hated its twist (just as I hated Serenity (2019)) so worth throwing out there, I guess :v:

Allyn fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 18, 2022

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Perfection

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

tuyop posted:

Maybe "Rubber" (2010). If you liked The American Astronaut, "Stingray Sam" (2009) from the same director is a second, similar low-budget musical space western.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I need some dumb jingoist movies for the upcoming war. Think Rambo 2 or 3, but made in the last ten years. Is The Expendables any good? Idk maybe something with younger actors would be cool.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a place I can find some of the "top" movies that are just slightly off the mainstream, like Birdman, Jojo Rabbit, Nightmare Alley, etc.

Whenever I try to look up movies I may have missed, I end up with movies lists containing like.. The Avengers.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a place I can find some of the "top" movies that are just slightly off the mainstream, like Birdman, Jojo Rabbit, Nightmare Alley, etc.

Whenever I try to look up movies I may have missed, I end up with movies lists containing like.. The Avengers.
They Shoot Pictures, Don't They has the 1000 Greatest Films list and the 21st Century's Most Acclaimed Films list.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I’d probably just look at like…SlashFilm’s end of year lists from the last few

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

busalover posted:

I need some dumb jingoist movies for the upcoming war. Think Rambo 2 or 3, but made in the last ten years. Is The Expendables any good? Idk maybe something with younger actors would be cool.

Maybe red dawn

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Black Hawk Down is probably the best dumb jingo bullshit movie, just a tremendous piece of war propaganda, but it doesnt' quite make the date cutoff.
Lone Survivor is another one, but it's not even a good movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

busalover posted:

Which side are you rooting for, Ukraine or Russia?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

busalover posted:

Black Hawk Down is probably the best dumb jingo bullshit movie, just a tremendous piece of war propaganda, but it doesnt' quite make the date cutoff.
Lone Survivor is another one, but it's not even a good movie.

I have to disagree with this. BHD is fairly accurate to the actual events and Lone Survivor is really more of a tale of survival than it is jingoist: if anything it kinda pushes the idea that the US military needs help from Aghanistan/Iraq locals because they're the ones who save Luttrell.

Act of Valor and American Sniper are the two ultra-jingoist action movies you want op, and Red Dawn as another poster suggested (tho watch the original, not the remake)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Jingoism in film isn't always about accuracy, it's also about perspective. And that's where people have issues with Black Hawk Down, it's so focused on the perspective of the American soldiers that it dehumanizes the Somalis.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, I can't speak to the accuracy of the film either way but it's jingoistic as all hell.

The most absurdly jingoistic bullshit I've seen lately was the "has fallen" films, especially the first two.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What are some good pro-Russia movies?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Come and See

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

What are some good pro-Russia movies?

Youll have to be more specific since Russia a hundred years ago is different than Russia today and that keeps going back into history forever

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kvlt! posted:

Youll have to be more specific since Russia a hundred years ago is different than Russia today and that keeps going back into history forever

pro-tsarist Russia, pro-Soviet Russia, pro-modern neoliberal Russia, any of it

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

pro-tsarist Russia, pro-Soviet Russia, pro-modern neoliberal Russia, any of it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Soviet_propaganda_films

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Belarus!

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I haven't seen American Sniper. That probably takes the cake. Also that Kathryn Bigelow film, something zero, probably ~questionable~ as well.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

busalover posted:

Mild subversion that still might fit what you're looking for: Starship Troopers is a science fiction film by Paul Verhoeven about war and jingoism. The whole thing is staged as a propaganda film with a series of in-universe propaganda films used as scene transitions occasionally. Some of the acting isn't great, and the plot is dumb as hell, but it enhances the satire (yet a lot of people still think it's a serious pro-fascist movie). Extremely over-the-top, some good comedic moments, excellent practical effects and modelwork, CGI that still holds up fairly well, and it has Michael Ironside in it, so y'know.

It's gory as hell if you're not into that kind of thing though. There's a new-ish 4K transfer and it's absolutely beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
I’d like to watch something in the vein of the Errol Flynn Robin Hood. Something adventure-y and fun, preferably with a really good sword fight. To help you refine your recommendations, some of my favorite movies that already fit this vibe are The Court Jester, The Scarlet Pimpernel (both the Leslie Howard version and the 1980s movie with Ian McKellan and Anthony Andrews), and The Magic Sword. (Yeah, the one from MST3k, with Gary Lockwood.) Thanks in advance.