Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caros
May 14, 2008

It has probably been mentioned in the thread, but on the off chance that it hasn't.

There is a special charge attack with the sword once you've unlocked charged backfist. It requires a huge amount of wind up, instantly destroys your sword and is generally useless since it can be blocked and dodged by most elite enemies.

However.

Any enemy that gives you dialogue options won't block or dodge your first attack, nor will they attack you while you stand there posing in preparation for their demise. In practice this means using the r2 dodge to quickly close to just outside of their 'activation' area (about a full body length), then holding down heavy attack through two animation changes. The attack has good range so you should hit them and instant kill.

This is useful on every stage once swords are introduced, but it is most useful on the two midbosses in the bottom section of stage 4. You can carry a sword into the first one, and find a sword on the wall in the second fight.

Once you're good enough you won't really have, to, but I hate the stupid long legged dancer enemies so I stab her every time out of spite at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

Carmant posted:

The last boss is going to give me a stroke. How the gently caress does anyone do this.

For phase 1 of the last boss, he is particularly vulnerable to Lightning fist, the one where you do H pause H. Duck the final attack in his combo to create opening, then lightning fist. After the final hit, do Lightning fist again. Even when he ducks the first hit, there's a good chance the flurry of blows will still nail him.

This doesn't work nearly as well in phase 2, but someone from earlier in the thread has a video of something he called the "rubdown" which is to get into the rhythm and stay aggressive while at the same time be ready to defend at drop of hat. I find that works very well.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Huh. So one thing that is worth noting regarding the earlier conversation about the structure break upgrade.

Apparently the taunt (number keys on the keyboard and right arrow on the controller) gives a big boost to your score multiplier. I knew for a while you could avoid and parry to boost it, but that was time consuming and not reliable. Taunt lets you jack your multiplier up on the first enemy in a stage, which on the first building is a difference between 330 max score and 550. It also lets you fix your score on the last enemy in a crowd if you take a smack, and if you're really desperate (I've been doing a bunch of full game runs) you can use it on midboss enemies if they clip you during the fight to boost yourself back up and guarantee you get the full 500 they're usually worth from max multiplier.

This pretty much only matters for trying to get the max structure upgrades, and in my case only when I'm trying to get two in one stage, but it makes it a hell of a lot more reliable to be able to throw out a trip, call someone a tosser, then go right back in.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I feel like I am physically unable to defeat this last boss, it is just completely beyond my capabilities. The second phase just destroys me nonstop and I can barely get even a hit in, the windows to actually hit him are so small that by the time I've realised its happening he's already moved on to another attack.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I think beating Isshin in Sekiro really prepared me for the final boss of Sifu, who I beat a few hours ago first try. Granted, I got to that level at age 36 so I had a lot of years available to burn. Once I got into the rhythm of attacking into his defense and parrying the followup he folded.

Hesitation is defeat.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Caesar Saladin posted:

I feel like I am physically unable to defeat this last boss, it is just completely beyond my capabilities. The second phase just destroys me nonstop and I can barely get even a hit in, the windows to actually hit him are so small that by the time I've realised its happening he's already moved on to another attack.

I felt like this for two sessions then started to get better, eventually beat him by the skin of my teeth.

On the second run getting to him again he was a roadblock, but getting better this time everything came together and I found beating him much more in my control this time.

I mean Sean felt like this the first session or two against him, and now I'm upset if he hits me.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

He does have few openings but one huge opportunity to counter is when you dodge his big lunge attack. Another is when you deflect his flurry of blows.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Complaining on the internet worked and I got him. Age 56, I was hoping to get him under 50 for the trophy but I'll do it again and better.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

These are the specific moves I am looking out for against the final boss:
- The big lunge attack - I wait for him to lunge and mash high dodge, even if you dodge too much you still have time to hit him. After you get used to this move I recommend trying to bait it out by keeping your distance, because the other long range move he has are..
- ...walljump kick, he normally follows up with a high kick, which you can dodge...
- ...or just the step kick, which normally is followed with a series of high attacks. If in doubt, just block or high dodge these.

Other moves
- His flurry of blows - best if parried, but even if you just high dodge you have enough t ime to at least squeeze in some normal move hits
- If in his combo string he does an elbow strike with his right elbow shining red that you block/dodge, he will follow up with a left elbow so dodge that high, free combo
- For sweeps, he sometimes opens a close combo with it or a high attack that's blockable...so just block/parry the first hit if you can. The sweep is partly why I like to keep my distance, so I don't have to do this kind of reactionary guessing game

It is of course overwhelming to get the timing and visual cues for all of these at once, so just pick one that you think you can identify consistently and tank the damage for the rest, even if you lose a lot of health for it. Once you have that one move down pat, you can choose another one, and before you know it, you'll beat him. You should be able to brute force your way through him with enough lives (and if you feel like it, you can have revenge on him in a future run and lose less lives)

EDIT: Looks like I took too long typing this out, congrats^^!!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
cleared the Club with no deaths so if I can just squeak past Kuroki’s first phase without getting killed then the plat might actually be within reach

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I think the fun thing about calling the last dude a final exam is that it mirrors how the whole game worked up to that point. For each stage, the boss of the stage has their regular attack patterns represented in the stage. The timing for Sean is the same as the timing for the martial artist who challenges you with the staff. That kind of "gameplay foreshadowing" or whatever, like the statues leading to Kuroki in the blue hallway, where you get the staff? That poo poo's all over the place, telling you what you need to know before you know you're being told. So it makes total sense to me that you have to deal with that fighting style for Yang.

also I still have not beat the game because I am pretty much considering arcade mode the most fun way to play right now and like every time I play I learn something and it distracts me and I get my rear end beat practicing something during a run

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 17, 2022

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

cleared the Club with no deaths so if I can just squeak past Kuroki’s first phase without getting killed then the plat might actually be within reach

You can do it! If you're looking for tips on that phase specifically, here's how I tackle it now which hasn't failed me yet (bring a weapon):

Artelier posted:

For those struggling on Artist 1, I have a safe but slow strategy - Stay out of range and bait an attack by walking into range and dashing/running out. Once she starts an attack string she cannot stop it until the combo is complete, so hover outside her range and then dash attack/forward forward heavy to get in and get a safe combo. If she does her long attack where she spins her weapon vertically, just keep running away from her (you don't even need the camera to be looking towards her), she'll get tired eventually.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Caros posted:

Huh. So one thing that is worth noting regarding the earlier conversation about the structure break upgrade.

Apparently the taunt (number keys on the keyboard and right arrow on the controller) gives a big boost to your score multiplier.

The calbot focus move also just sets your multiplier to x5, it's real nice

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I took a break from Sifu so I could... recreate a Sifu fight. It was in the back of my mind so I had to do it or it was going to keep bugging me. Now I can get back to getting better at Sifu and rejoining the convo about the most topical game on the world wide w--- sorry, what's that? You said there's some other game coming out tomorrow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBMfHlelf8A

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Well I got the last boss to his 2nd phase and actually almost beat him. I would have definitely gotten the win if I hadn't come into it at age 70 lol. The fact that the 2nd part is so much easier is a relief, if I can just improve my performance during the first phase (or come into the Sanctuary a little younger) I can do this.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
I almost managed my first non-stop, fresh file playthrough both kill all bosses then spare them but then at the very last part of the final boss I hosed up the button prompt and killed him instead of hitting spare :negative:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

THANK YOU to whoever said that the stage 2 enemies that throw an orange strong punch at my chest are actually going slower than it looks - wiped my way through Stage 2 with that change.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Narcissus1916 posted:

THANK YOU to whoever said that the stage 2 enemies that throw an orange strong punch at my chest are actually going slower than it looks - wiped my way through Stage 2 with that change.

I didn’t see that post but this finally just suddenly clicked for me and I immediately proceeded to no death stage 2. I was consistently dodging too soon and getting gagglefucked.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

YUP. The other tip that's game-changing is realizing that my standard combo Light-Light-Strong was actually knocking enemies AWAY from me and stopping me from doing more damage every time.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
The under-25 achievement is now my white whale, the youngest I've killed the last boss is 30 but getting through phase two without multiple deaths feels impossible.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Goodguy3 posted:

I almost managed my first non-stop, fresh file playthrough both kill all bosses then spare them but then at the very last part of the final boss I hosed up the button prompt and killed him instead of hitting spare :negative:

Hey guess what I did this on every single boss except the CEO on my (big spoiler)spare run

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Narcissus1916 posted:

you're very welcome and that's awesome!
stage 3 is my absolute fav, glhf

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Agnostalgia posted:

The under-25 achievement is now my white whale, the youngest I've killed the last boss is 30 but getting through phase two without multiple deaths feels impossible.

if you no-death every stage leading up to him you get three revives and I’m going to need every one of them

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

if you no-death every stage leading up to him you get three revives and I’m going to need every one of them

Three revives in a row puts you at 26, so I only can die twice on the second phase. I can get through phase one with no deaths consistently now, half the time with no damage; that's how much harder the second phase is.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Agnostalgia posted:

Three revives in a row puts you at 26, so I only can die twice on the second phase. I can get through phase one with no deaths consistently now, half the time with no damage; that's how much harder the second phase is.

As a suggestion, bring the staff in from right outside (trip the welder so he doesn't damage it on you). Then let him trip you early on in the first phase.

Kick the crap out of him, go back and grab it before the start of the second phase. This puts you in phase 2 with an undamaged weapon which should help a lot.

Or just keep beating your face against it. Best advice I have there is figure out which attacks you are best at dodging. Dodge those, block the rest and you can whittle his structure while maintaining your own.

On an unrelated note about the final boss Can you die on phase 3? It really feels like you can't, but I'm not sure if I just have his number or if it is impossible.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Caros posted:

Or just keep beating your face against it. Best advice I have there is figure out which attacks you are best at dodging. Dodge those, block the rest and you can whittle his structure while maintaining your own.
This is a very good strategy imo.

quote:

On an unrelated note about the final boss Can you die on phase 3? It really feels like you can't, but I'm not sure if I just have his number or if it is impossible.
Yeah, like you I'm pretty sure you can't

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Can't you press the Pickup Weapon button to drop it instead of having someone trip you? Or is there something else in that tactic I'm missing?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Caros posted:

I don't think you can and it's good, because it wouldn't make narrative sense that you could fail the fight by dying

I'm trying to do a no-death run and I just keep getting rinsed by groups. I can no-death every boss except Yang but the group with the two big guys in the museum and the group with the big kickboxer + boot lady underground almost always kill me at least once.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Lobok posted:

Can't you press the Pickup Weapon button to drop it instead of having someone trip you? Or is there something else in that tactic I'm missing?

Wait can you? I thought you had to pick up another weapon or get sweeped or pushed.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I stopped playing for a second during the Yang fight and realized he'll just stand there and let you think lol. Dude is just that confident.

Hylianbunny
Dec 31, 2007

TG: oh ok time travels involved
TG: thats all you needed to say everythings cool and under control then

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

Wait can you? I thought you had to pick up another weapon or get sweeped or pushed.

You can hold R1 for a moment to drop it in place, but if you hold it a little longer you'll huck it at your target's head instead. Great sometimes, not so much for Yang.

PantsBandit posted:

I stopped playing for a second during the Yang fight and realized he'll just stand there and let you think lol. Dude is just that confident.

You can also taunt to get him to stop idling around and hop back into it. Apparently he's easily provoked.

On that note, finally managed to finish Yang at 23. Great game that I'll happily recommend to anyone who likes getting their face beat in until enlightenment.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Alright, I think I figured out how to fully explain what's going on with the rhythm of this game. If anyone wants to have an idea of what I am talking about with the music poo poo, I found a good way to explain it in-game I think. Go to the club and just go in the first room and listen to the music for a sec and identify the kick drum. Tap L1 in time with that kick drum and just wait to be attacked, and see how close that timing is to parrying. I found the same style of pattern throughout the game not only for mooks but for bosses, too. It just so happens that in Club, that kick drum is the same as the protag's basic action speed, so it's the best place to show it.

In essence, you could say this game's AI runs on a sequencer, much like a midi sequencer, that has its timing rooted in the background music. I think that's why the music sometimes resets its time at the end of a fight. So anyway, here's a mock example of how 3 mooks might attack if you don't do anything.

And they just keep doing that on a loop. If you were to parry on beats 2, 3, and 5, you'd break them down in no time, eyes closed. The specifics of each fight change though, and a lot of the time, enemies can attack in really odd combinations. In those cases, it's generally because the fight hasn't settled into a rhythm that you dictate yet. The way to dictate the rhythm of the fight is to use those pauses, knowing that they will happen. The simplest way to do this, really, is to tap the heavy strike combo and link it back to itself somehow, while tapping parry or using avoid when necessary. That heavy strike combo is mean. For the timing though, every time you land a hit, you'll get an extension on the fight. This is good, not bad, if you are trying to stay fighting as fast as you possibly can. That pause allows you more time to check the fight, plan ahead, blahblah you knew that. The way it helps you time parries though is that by causing a pause on a consistent timing, you can watch for an appropriate time to input your parry where you are guaranteed to have it be spot on, regardless of how shittily you pushed the button.

The way this is done is by aligning your own action timing to the timing of your enemy's attacks. The timing that you use when you land attacks is the timing that you'll get when you are holding down the guard button and come out of an attack animation. Therefore, if you are planning to fight against the opponent's style, you should attack such that your attack will land just before their attack will land, and you can time that parry as hosed up as you want it'll give you the red dot. Parrying on reaction is not what my old rear end is about

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
platted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFSen7DRQWU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
and as it turned out, i only needed one revive for the final boss. speccing into weapon durability/resilience turned out to be the right call

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

and as it turned out, i only needed one revive for the final boss. speccing into weapon durability/resilience turned out to be the right call

Agreed. Weapon durability and damage to structure on parry are probably the best upgrades once you're used to the game. Then weapon damage, and maybe extra structure regain on dodge.

Trap skill I think is extra health refill on takedown - it doesn't add that much, and the big roadblocks of the game (elites and bosses) don't really have other enemies to health refill with, or they died very quickly before you're left with the elite.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
agree with the above shrine build takes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
additional note: besides yang, the part of the game where i got my rear end kicked hardest was the aquarium duo in the Club. those two were mean

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Aw yeah, I beat it under age 50. I don't think I'm gonna be able to manage the other trophy, under age 25, but I'm gonna go for the true ending and try at least until Elden Ring comes out. This game is very addictive, it keeps the hands and brain busy in a deep and meaningful way. Somehow sparing the bosses almost seems easier because I don't have to keep my age down.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Sparing Sean is giving me greys as I get trapped in his charge, overhand back off loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished a start-to-end run with all spares and no shortcuts, ended at age 40. with that I think I’m done

really superb. I had high hopes but nothing’s scratched my “gotta do better” itch like that since Sekiro