Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

admanb posted:

Pretty much. Ability stones have tiers and ilvls as well so unless you’re in high T2 you’re not getting anything of high value. If one has a skill you want see if you can hone it into something useful, if not just dismantle it.

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Yeah the difference in vitality boost between legendary T1 stones and garbage T2 stones is absolutely massive and you’ll basically be trashing all T1 stones immediately after making the transition

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Ok, how do the dispatch station elemental adaptation work in your stronghold? One mission with ice adaptation to which I have a pet and a crew linked to gives me 150%. But that same crew on another mission with the same adaptation is 102%. Googling has only covered that adaptation is the quality of the loot.

Another related question is the pirate coins. These runs are rewarding 6-8 coins per while costing 3 to run. Yet, I appear to be slowly draining coins. What did I miss?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
One of my favorite streamers has been having a mental breakdown (straight jacket mental asylum style) over the last few days as the end game progressing slowly dawns on him. 10/10 game just for the hilarious content.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Can you do island stuff with a friend?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I beelined a few maraton sessions into unlocking the sailing and it seems like it's not exactly open world but I still have to follow the main quest? I tried going on to some islands but there's nothing to do on them and the mobs are level 50. A friend tells me that you actually need to do some quests before you even get access to islands and can't just go around sailing on them randomly. How does this exactly work?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The boat is mostly just for sailing to your next msq destinations for now, until you get to level 50 & Vern at which point you have an opportunity to go a bit off the rails.
You do want to complete Vern and the following continent, Shushire, at some point, but there's no huge pressure since after that the game just throws you out the door and says "ok run some raids and explore random islands until you're ilvl 460".

There are islands with item level restrictions though. The Majority are 250 which you'll easily hit by Vern but some go all the way up to 1000+.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

TeaJay posted:

I beelined a few maraton sessions into unlocking the sailing and it seems like it's not exactly open world but I still have to follow the main quest? I tried going on to some islands but there's nothing to do on them and the mobs are level 50. A friend tells me that you actually need to do some quests before you even get access to islands and can't just go around sailing on them randomly. How does this exactly work?

Yeah the actual "island hopping" most of us are discussing is post-50. As you progress the main quest you'll visit a few new islands/continents but those are basically just the same as the rest of the MSQ up to that point.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Good Citizen posted:

Yeah the difference in vitality boost between legendary T1 stones and garbage T2 stones is absolutely massive and you’ll basically be trashing all T1 stones immediately after making the transition

Even before that the difference between a blue stone you get from questing and the purple stones you get from 340 Guardian/Abyssal is like 500 vitality.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
game owns. did my first abyss, guardian raid, island raid thing (a giant chicken and a pvp thing), and chaos dungeon.

starting to look into gear and stuff but im having trouble grasping the relationship between engraving, faceting, ability stones, and maybe theres another system im forgetting that also connects to those?

ill peep a guide or video but prefer goon words cause youtubers all talk like possessed dolls

edit: also i just love this game's position on story. everything goes. everything is "why not?" it's like nicholas cage movies. lord of the rings? why not? harry pottery? why not? yoda? why not? steampunk why? hot pirates? why not?

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 17, 2022

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

poemdexter posted:

Raids I've had no trouble with. Now that stupid loving scorpion fight? I still haven't found a pug that can do it.

If you can stagger it you can damage its tail with weak point abilities/destruction bombs. As a Gunlancer I was able to break it in a party by making sure I hit it with a flame round (with tripod for level 2 weak point) and a destruction bomb (level 3 weak point) each time it fell over. When its tail is broken it loses a lot of the really annoying electricity spamming moves. It still keeps its grab attack though. Fortunately I was able to tank all of those as a blue gunlancer.

thehandtruck posted:

starting to look into gear and stuff but im having trouble grasping the relationship between engraving, faceting, ability stones, and maybe theres another system im forgetting that also connects to those?

Engraving enables special abilities if you get 5 points of that engraving. You have two engraving slots on your equipment page, but you can only equip into those slots if you have consumed at least 20 engraving books for the skill you want. This early on you will probably want to equip your class specific engraving in both slots. This will give you 3 points per slot, for a total of 6, which gets you past the 5 engraving points needed for activation.

Engravings have three ranks, each rank requires five points to activate, for a total of 15 points to have a level 3 active engraving. For example, the grudge engraving only gives 3% boss damage at rank 1, but at rank 3 it gives a whopping 20% more damage vs bosses. Some engravings aren't worth their drawbacks at rank 1.

Your accessories and facet stones can also contribute towards your engraving points. They can also give you NEGATIVE engravings with things like reduced attack power, defense, or movespeed if any of those goes over five points. It's probably still worth having a "useless" faceted stone equipped since they will still give you a big chunk of vitality even if the engravings aren't doing much for you.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 17, 2022

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The melting gelato is a dirty trick and I'm glad I caught it before I used it and wasted my silver.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Daman posted:

so I mindlessly named a powerpass'd toon teemo with some accented characters, did my dailies being a bit chatty to help people learn abyssals & counters, come back the next day to:

that makes sense, their policy apparently doesn't allow names that are intellectual property. okay. filed an appeal, check out the support reply (yes this is their entire email)

lol and lmao, amazon game studios. there's no way they actually force me to pay 10bux after the ban expires... surely

Is this the first game that bans “IP” nicknames?? What the hell?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Rabid Snake posted:

i remember city of heroes would factory reset your appearance if you tried to recreate an actual superhero/villain with the character creator but this is the first ive heard a game make names illegal

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Rabid Snake posted:

Blizz does it for Disney names if they get reported.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Daman posted:

so I mindlessly named a powerpass'd toon teemo with some accented characters, did my dailies being a bit chatty to help people learn abyssals & counters, come back the next day to:

that makes sense, their policy apparently doesn't allow names that are intellectual property. okay. filed an appeal, check out the support reply (yes this is their entire email)

lol and lmao, amazon game studios. there's no way they actually force me to pay 10bux after the ban expires... surely

I honestly think it’s more likely you got mass reported by some guy since that’s all it seems to take lol pretty sure new world had the same issue since their report system is so automated

HungryHungryHobo
Jan 4, 2020
I changed my Stronghold name because I am way too addicted to this game to get banned for some dumb name poo poo. At least that only cost 100 gold.

LOL at banning people for their character names and then trying to charge them real money to change it

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Charles 1998 posted:

One of my favorite streamers has been having a mental breakdown (straight jacket mental asylum style) over the last few days as the end game progressing slowly dawns on him. 10/10 game just for the hilarious content.

It's a korean "f2p" mmo, kinda figured anyone planning on playing a ton would know this going in :shrug:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Charles 1998 posted:

Those of us who followed Lost Ark since its Korean release, tried to warn everyone that the end game was brutally challenging and grindy. The people playing on Korea that you see doing the top tier hardest content, have been playing Lost Ark really hardcore since day 1. The western release makes it easier to get to that tier of content, but not by that much. Those who didn't pay attention, thought this would seriously be like World of Warcraft where you would clear all content in a week or two.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Even then isn't top tier mythic raiding or whatever wow has pretty grindy itself to get into? And the raids themselves also marathons of synchronized swimming? Like I get that kmmos are probably still grinder but any of this should've been painfully obvious from the get go. Even if you thought this was an arpg you have PoE and d3 which are also just grind fests too. Any MMORPG or GAAS thing is gonna be a grind.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Yeah unless you're in the 1% Mythic raiding is a 6+ month affair where you're probably doing daily and weekly activities to keep progressing your numbers even outside of raid drops.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Elroy Jetson posted:

Do not trust the gum goblin, he will betray your family.

Is that the face of the hero of El Facil?.... disregard that.

Instead of going UP trying to race to the endgame, for this game would made sense to go sideways and complete maps, faction points, and make your character (all your characters, really, since is account wide). into savants-cool kids-monsters with lots of bonus from different content.

Or the moment the game become a second job, drop it, and just return for expansions or things.

I have yet to play the last expansion of FF14, is not like we lack good stuff :D

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Slider posted:

It's a korean "f2p" mmo, kinda figured anyone planning on playing a ton would know this going in :shrug:

I'm just glad that there isn't a chance to permanently blow up your item when upgrading past +10 without a cash shop consumable or whatever.
This is least-malicious korean f2p game I've ever played.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

i'm sick of this narrow rear end bridge

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hefty posted:

i'm sick of this narrow rear end bridge

You are gonna get banned for naming your kitty cat after a famous video game character.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
filing the report as we speak, good luck idiot

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

filing the report as we speak, good luck idiot

:negative:

e: wait, you can change your pet’s name?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

The Locator posted:

You are gonna get banned for naming your kitty cat after a famous video game character.
it's the default name and I know that's probably the joke

Hefty posted:

press alt+p and enjoy the name change as well as instantly repairing anything and accessing your storage from everywhere and a bunch of other stuff provided you have the crystalline aura

don't know if pet name changes cost currency because I haven't tried to change it

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I have admittedly paid attention to basically nothing in this game so far but what is this mechanic/resource/whatever for this dialogue option?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Garrand posted:

I have admittedly paid attention to basically nothing in this game so far but what is this mechanic/resource/whatever for this dialogue option?

it's one of the roster stats like wisdom/kindness/charisma/courage that you get from completing quests and stuff

you are not [whatever stat] enough to pick that dialogue option

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Hefty posted:

I can do this as much as I want, not sure if that's Crystalline Aura related or if it's always free for everyone

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's really funny that after changing your pet's name away from "Bunny Rabbit", you're not allowed to change it back because the default name has a space in it.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Can other players even see pet names?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

thehandtruck posted:

game owns. did my first abyss, guardian raid, island raid thing (a giant chicken and a pvp thing), and chaos dungeon.

ill peep a guide or video but prefer goon words cause youtubers all talk like possessed dolls

edit: also i just love this game's position on story. everything goes. everything is "why not?" it's like nicholas cage movies. lord of the rings? why not? harry pottery? why not? yoda? why not? steampunk why? hot pirates? why not?
this one is pretty concise on the general engravings system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu_ZP254DV8

but at t1, it's probably not something worth obsessing about, so just save your times and equip a stone of birth for that +777 vitality bonus

you'll need a bunch of books to really make use of the engravings, and the timing of engravings being introduced is just flat-out stupid imo. but i guess it's a relic of when it originally got introduced and mattered in the game i guess

if you're going to get into it, remember the distinction between general abilities and class abilities. the latter are simpler to focus on since there's probably only two for your class. all the other ones are a bit overwhelming and will make you even more scared to mess up

kliras fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 18, 2022

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I really love this game but it's at a weird crossroads soon.

More casual players will be getting into later T1 over the next few weeks and they will finally understand what the actual game is like, which is:

1) Gear honing will become much harder, fail often, and levels will be earned much more slowly.

2) They will see that you can increase the odds of honing by paying real money.

3) They will get into Abyss Dungeons and understand that this game asks more of the player than almost any MMO I can think of. They will see that one single person not doing a mechanic will wipe the entire group, even in tier 1. I like this content and think there are lots of people who will, but it probably asks too much of the player for the Western audience. There is no easy mode normal raids like there are in WoW. Experienced players will need to either get into a guild and have a static raid group, or be willing to fail continually in a pug where just one player not reading the strategies can doom a run if they aren't willing to learn fast.

and god forbid they watch Saint's video about difficulty of raiding in T3. Which is REALLY worth watching by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nww-9YAdbRU

At this same time Horizon Forbidden West and Elden Ring, two of the most anticipated games of the year, will release almost at the same time.

I'm hopeful for the future of this game but the further along I get in level (and therefore getting closer to the "real" experience of the game in terms of higher level Abyss Dungeons and the much higher rate of honing failure) the more I think this game is going to fail in the West, and that's before taking into account the other games coming out concurrently.

Amazon may be able to get the game changed so it can succeed in the West but it will have to, imo, be a significantly different game than it is now. Don't get me wrong, it can still be objectively successful if enough super dedicated players spend lots of money, but mass appeal seems like a big stretch honestly.

Just my opinion. I would be interested to hear other's opinions, especially if you're at least level 500 or above, where the game starts to ramp up. A lot of the best features of the early game that roped in players are effectively super reduced or removed fairly quickly in the grand scheme, which makes me think there will be a honeymoon period and then a decline, like other MMOs of this nature.

Again, if Amazon and Smile can completely redo the incentive and punishment structure of the game for the West, it could do fantastic, but it would be such a... frankly... better and easier game than the other versions, that those regions would likely complain. It wouldn't really be worth detonating the core of the game just to appease us, basically.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 18, 2022

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Taima posted:

and god forbid they watch Saint's video about difficulty of raiding in T3. Which is REALLY worth watching by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nww-9YAdbRU

this is absolute nonsense

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Is t3 raiding even like, "mandatory" I guess if you want to keep playing? Like in FFXIV I was cool just levelling all my different classes and totally ignoring savage raiding in its entirety. Can I still get up to a decent ilvl just by doing the more casual stuff like guardian raids/chaos rifts or is it really just that everything 500+ or whatever is ball-bustingly challenging?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

victrix posted:

this is absolute nonsense

it's cool

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

eat poo poo ark poors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

acumen posted:

Is t3 raiding even like, "mandatory" I guess if you want to keep playing? Like in FFXIV I was cool just levelling all my different classes and totally ignoring savage raiding in its entirety. Can I still get up to a decent ilvl just by doing the more casual stuff like guardian raids/chaos rifts or is it really just that everything 500+ or whatever is ball-bustingly challenging?
If it's anything like how T1 itemization works, the actual gear sets are raid-only but you can probably just wear random chaos rift garbage and accept your lower-stats-but-same-ilvl.
It seems like in T3 the raids are also the main source of accessories but those are auction-house-able.