Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

KomradeX posted:

I feel like whenever discussing LOGH or even Gundam the problem is these universe's are stuck in a repeating cycle of useless corrupt liberalism vs fascism because no one's ever heard of Karl Marx or invented class politics. So you get protagonists that know both of these systems don't work, but repeatedly trying to make them work because there's no alternative

most of modern society is stuck in this useless cycle so the shows are extrapolating this as well. you’re correct to say that the protagonists aren’t communist revolutionaries building a coalition and basis for a workers revolution, just well meaning libs or petty extremists

LOGH is extremely class conscious imo, the same way Planetes is, but both shows are in a non ideal neoliberal order which the shows don’t paint as some kind of sorkinesque ideal. I’m not sure that’s even a “problem” with the shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

I may have undersold how good Planetes is when it came up before, but it's so loving GOOD!!!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Gundam, LOGH, Planetes, all emphasize that these powerful long standing social hierarchies built on excess aren’t inherently good or evil as a whole but will always crush, de-prioritize, and take advantage of common people.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mr. Lobe posted:

I love LOGH but I can see how it would turn some people off. It's a slow burning, character-focused political drama set in a science fiction future. Not everyone is going to like that.
it's also like >100 episodes, which is the reason i can't get through it

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

a cyberpunk goose posted:

LOGH is extremely class conscious imo, the same way Planetes is, but both shows are in a non ideal neoliberal order which the shows don’t paint as some kind of sorkinesque ideal. I’m not sure that’s even a “problem” with the shows
A bourgeois revolution is also a class concussion revolution, against nobility. The LOGH ending is a happy one because while the current situation is not ideal the constitutional monarchy allows for a future of liberty and democracy. The Free Planets Alliance doesn't exist but there is no longer a need for a democratic beacon of freedom because the Empire it self has began to transform into one.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 23:24 on Feb 16, 2022

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

axe fights in space is pretty badass tho

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1494071736429654025?s=20&t=OhVKjQzQpk7k-zXNrRBhGQ

Ran 1994 to 2006, never got an official english translation. It's an amazing Iyashikei and one a lot of posters here might enjoy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Oh man, I read YKK scans a decade ago and loving loved it. It's such a good series. That is a day one buy for me

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
YKK hasn’t been licensed until now?!

how the gently caress did it survive the 00’s manga boom without one?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Julias posted:

Ran 1994 to 2006, never got an official english translation. It's an amazing Iyashikei and one a lot of posters here might enjoy.

It's my favorite post apocalyptic story ever.

I would actually suggest watching the OAV before reading the manga. There's only two works of film/tv media that have such compelling depictions of nature they triggered my sensory memory. One was Tarkovsky's Stalker, and the other was the hand-drawn YKK OAVs.

Lostconfused posted:

A bourgeois revolution is also a class concussion revolution, against nobility. The LOGH ending is a happy one because while the current situation is not ideal the constitutional monarchy allows for a future of liberty and democracy. The Free Planets Alliance doesn't exist but there is no longer a need for a democratic beacon of freedom because the Empire it self has began to transform into one.

I wouldn't exactly call it a happy ending so much as optimistic. It's to the story's credit that it didn't present Reinhard as the actual savior he appears to be. If Reinhard had his way, there would be no democracy whatsoever in the empire moving forward. It'd have been a liberal technocratic nightmare.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 03:43 on Feb 17, 2022

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Julias posted:

https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1494071736429654025?s=20&t=OhVKjQzQpk7k-zXNrRBhGQ

never watched the anime but the soundtrack is amazing

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

There's not much to the OAVs. They're a very short watch, and a perfect teaser for the manga.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

skipmyseashells posted:

never watched the anime but the soundtrack is amazing
you should watch and read YKK.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Doc Hawkins posted:

did you know? they translated all ten of the original LoGH novels. go read 'em.

Excuse me this is the anime thread.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

TenementFunster posted:

you should watch and read YKK.

if you say so :frogbon:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
This was my desktop background for years

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Tokyo 24th Ward got delayed, new episode releases next Wednesday. It's pretty good

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Also watch YKK if you haven't, it's a classic ghibli level series about gay robots. Great music, story, vibes.

I have a pic of the main character set as my phone background, found somewhere. Wish I could source it again

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
https://youtu.be/en6YIcNjb3Q

I’ve listened to the soundtrack for 12 years now and never once thought of watching or looking at the anime

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I wrote a paragraph about why I love YKK so much that I'll spoil, even though it's not even explicit in the manga. It's all hinted at and implied, but never explicit so it can't totally ruin the experience like a plot spoiler could.

I used to be a really big fan of post apocalyptic fiction, and still am in a lot of ways, but my favorite post apocalyptic story of all time is Yokohama Shopping Log. It's one of the only works I've ever seen that could be described as post apocalyptic optimism. For most stuff the best you can hope for is a dark world where the hero is restoring hope through bla bla yaddy yadda - but Yokohama doesn't have any heroes or villains. It's a meditation on death and its acceptance. Humanity is for the large part ok with its gradual decline and almost certain extinction, because the androids represent the continuation of a legacy that's more essentially human than the literal propagation of the species. The essential glue that holds society together is the certainty that their efforts aren't in vain.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

skipmyseashells posted:

https://youtu.be/en6YIcNjb3Q

I’ve listened to the soundtrack for 12 years now and never once thought of watching or looking at the anime

For the curious, here's a playlist of the 2nd OVA.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQL9Xn8Zhxqs_JqsipJkZIncIRLd6wboK

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Julias posted:

this is the anime thread, jules

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
manga is anime by other means

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

manga is anime in its larval stage

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Julias posted:

holy poo poo yesssssssssssss :swoon:

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

i guess I have something old to watch

this yokohama show and mango have been under my radar

i never even knew about the ost!

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

reading ykk now. thankyou thread, it's very sweet.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

wolfs posted:

i guess I have something old to watch
turn on your monitor

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

manga is anime in its larval stage

anime is the fruiting body of manga

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i still don’t understand why alpha needed a gun

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

TenementFunster posted:

I never finished the series, but maybe it was just to highlight that she didn't need one?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The way that the catastrophe reshapes flora & fauna is completely unpredictable, so even if there's nothing to fear from the human element there's no telling if some weird mutant could come out of nowhere and dismantle her.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Orb Crabmelt posted:

I never finished the series
you hosed up

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

what was up with the "sea god" or whatever- the human...rock...thing with a brainwave?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bitmap posted:

what was up with the "sea god" or whatever- the human...rock...thing with a brainwave?

The water god being described as marble w/ quartz may be too literal of a translation. It's more likely that they're describing its color. Later on in the manga there are fungal blooms that also eerily mimic human features & physiology, so it's likely that the water god is an early form of human-like mutation.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TenementFunster posted:

I thought in the first OVA, she dropped the gun in favor of a camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TenementFunster posted: