Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Having difficulty with Daemon Prince. Hard to build up my forces. Thinking of Rushing Slaanesh Realm to see if I can get that free 10 levels to all heroes and Lords thing, maybe that will make the difference I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Started up ogres. Once you put a camp down is it pretty much permanent? As in there is no way to grow it in one area and then move it somewhere else? Once you abandon, it is gone and you must start all over?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Nash posted:

Started up ogres. Once you put a camp down is it pretty much permanent? As in there is no way to grow it in one area and then move it somewhere else? Once you abandon, it is gone and you must start all over?

Wondering this too, I’m probably going to have to start my ogre campaign over because my only upgraded camp is too deep within my own space. Also wondering how to avoid running out of meat, it seems like that’s only really an issue in territory you own? Ogres feel heavily incentivized to avoid capturing settlements

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nash posted:

They are meant to be destroyable. Have one in a safe area to level it, use the rest to drop and abandon at key moments in expansion.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Ah yes the nomadic Ogres with their...fixed position camps in their starting area.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
You get a decent amount of camps, just sprinkle them throughout your kingdom or in areas you want to expand to. I dunno why you need to keep taking them down, just put them in areas you'll be spending some time, and then leave them. By the time you're moving on to a new part of the map, you'll have an extra camp to put down.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Frog Act posted:

Also wondering how to avoid running out of meat, it seems like that’s only really an issue in territory you own?

Just be in range of a camp I guess or upgrade that one meat building in a settlement all the way

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

As with most of my first time with a faction in one of these games, I will probably be re-rolling a lot once I get a feel for the mechanics and realize how badly I bungled the first 30 turns or so.

Majik Ninja
Jan 16, 2004
I understand that I don't have a new computer but I am unsure where I am being bottlenecked. I am unsure where to upgrade to make the game playable or if my system is just uncapable.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I know at least one hams poster is a steppe horde nerd here

Playing the prologue with my partner that is half-russian half-kazakh irl, she avoided spoilers but she's def pissed that Yuri the Ungol is just generic kislevite

The prologue was the one bit we avoided to experience firsthand.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
so are unbreakable turbo-morale enemies just a thing for kislev defensive siege/settlement battles or is that global because l o r d

OwlFancier posted:

Restarted as cathay and I think I like them more than kislev, the ying yang stuff is interesting cos it makes units that otherwise might be a bit meh, quite good if you position them properly. I think I am going to want some sky lanterns just so they can buff my melee infantry.

kislev's roster feels pretty weird yea

if you stumble across ogre mercs tho it becomes pretty hilarious

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't even know if I think they're weird, they're just lothern sea guard the faction, they're less weird and just seemingly very boring because every unit does every thing so you just get as many of them and the best ones you can and then throw them at the enemy.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Majik Ninja posted:

I understand that I don't have a new computer but I am unsure where I am being bottlenecked. I am unsure where to upgrade to make the game playable or if my system is just uncapable.

That's pretty weird. Are your drivers up to date?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

How do you form a confederation outside of beating a faction down? I don't see any option for it on the diplomacy screen.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
yeah Kislev is super weird and I'm not sure I like or dislike it yet

having a whole faction made up of Free Company and Lothern Sea Guard is much weirder in practice than you would think, I keep trying to lay out my standard lines of melee infantry in front of my ranged troops before remembering that I don't have to do that, on top of that I need to get a feel for when I should be sending guys into melee or hanging back and shooting because I have absolutely not figured it out yet

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

AnEdgelord posted:

having a whole faction made up of Free Company and Lothern Sea Guard is much weirder in practice than you would think, I keep trying to lay out my standard lines of melee infantry in front of my ranged troops before remembering that I don't have to do that, on top of that I need to get a feel for when I should be sending guys into melee or hanging back and shooting because I have absolutely not figured it out yet

try having a full stack of sea guard or sisters

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

try having a full stack of sea guard or sisters

now that I think about it maybe its just the gunpowder units throwing me, they're so insanely short ranged compared to the ice guard, I just built the building for ice guard so maybe its time to transition to full stacks of them with some little groms to taste

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dr. Clockwork posted:

How do you form a confederation outside of beating a faction down? I don't see any option for it on the diplomacy screen.

In WH2 not all factions can confederate, but it should be on there at the bottom with alliances, NAPs etc.

AnEdgelord posted:

now that I think about it maybe its just the gunpowder units throwing me, they're so insanely short ranged compared to the ice guard, I just built the building for ice guard so maybe its time to transition to full stacks of them with some little groms to taste

Put the armoured kossars at the front (or streltsi, presumably, direct fire still) and put the archers behind, but you can also just mash them all into the enemy if you want or when you run out of ammo.

I think you probably still want some armoured units just to eat enemy missile fire and do AP damage, but you can probably spam any unit and it would work, such is the nature of ranged/melee hybrids. Also ice guard are very strong generally and katarin gets them cheap so maybe she wants a full stack.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 18, 2022

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

So did that slaanesh tech bug make it into the release version?

Majik Ninja
Jan 16, 2004

Bedlam posted:

That's pretty weird. Are your drivers up to date?

I updated to 22.2.2 before I tried to play. I have 16gb ram I just can't figure out what is making it soo bad. I turned it off I'll try again tomorrow.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Omnicarus posted:

No performance problems on my 1080ti but for some reason the UI is more fuzzy at 1440p than it is in WH2

At 1440p it defaults the UI scaling to 200%, try turning it down to about 160%

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I'm enjoying it, but I think I haven't really clicked with minor settlement battles. You really need to approach objectives from multiple angles cause it feels like if you just try to go in one way you get all boxed up and the enemy just clumps in there too. I'm not really that big on that sort of play but you can just auto-resolve as you run over it. I haven't done any of the big survival battles yet but that's mostly just been cause they take a while I'm told and my free time is kinda limited right now, I figure I'll run on into it when I've got time to spare.

I've been liking them fine but mostly because my chaos undivided lord is a big aoe rear end in a top hat so he just kinda wanders in and fucks poo poo up constantly while the rest of his army chucks spells at him.

Campaign is a little rough. AI just keeps dropping everything to come hit settlements I have. On turn 4/5 I had 4 20 stack armies hit bay of blades. I just let it go and continued doing my thing, but drat that's early to hit someone who hasn't even gotten past two settlements yet.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Finally figured out the source of the blurriness: Turn Antialiasing to FXAA instead of either of the TAA settings. Much better.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Am I a weirdo if I just like doing endless skirmish matches against AI, and other players? I cant stand the campaign, but have hundreds of hours of watching armies whack one another.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Having a chuckle at Tzeentch rooting itself for 2 turns for "skrivers of insanity." First time was after I took Teracota Graveyard right before that sub-faction brought their 19 stack to help defend the city. They rooted themselves while suffering "no home" attrition..

Next time Kairos ran up to bang on my wall so I sent Meow to beat him up. He force marched away and rooted himself in force march. So I caught up, started the fight and his tired AI went insane at the sight of my army and the lone flyer sky junk. Most of his forces walked towards my combined forces checker pattern with 4 iron hail gunners before the normal front/melee split and Kairos flew ahead of everything to comically get shot to pieces, 100 to 0 in 5 seconds. I notice a silver rank sky junk can focus fire a single tzeentch unit down at artillery range even with a miss or two. The doomsaying of Tzeentch was really potent so now I swear a day 1 barrier patch nerf snuck in.

It's a really fun bunch of nonsense and I'm enjoying a leisurely pace. There's a glut of new content, guaranteed big DLC and I'm sure the great balancing will begin.

Speaking of balance Cathay's Yin/Yang building harmony is a little silly since you want to game it. +1 minors for extra income in a few settlements can't compare to the insane Balanced bonuses. You can do stupid poo poo like research every available tech to 1 turn remaining and hard swap it to drag out your balanced state and I find myself demoing buildings or leaving building slots empty just to maintain balanced.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

minor settlement battles are good, unit pathfinding is not.

The only thing i am personally nerd-raging about is making ogres cockney, tzeentch demons talk like skaven, and nurgle... also like orcs, with a little filter.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Yeah well maybe nurgle just taught a lot of English back in the day

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I had no idea how much of the Empire was going to be on the map. Is Mannfred hanging out down south or did they leave VC off?

Of course this also resulted in immediate amphibious assault from men and wood elves, but that wasn't the early-game exit I thought it would be.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

oh hey hold space bar on campaign map and if that has always been a thing fuuuuuuck me

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

I had no idea how much of the Empire was going to be on the map. Is Mannfred hanging out down south or did they leave VC off?

Of course this also resulted in immediate amphibious assault from men and wood elves, but that wasn't the early-game exit I thought it would be.

Yeah, Manny is down there. He's doing his dumb poo poo.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

AnEdgelord posted:

bows are still archers, just archers that happen to be able to hit dudes

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Eagerly awaiting the mod that turns off settlement battles. I can appreciate what they're going for but man, the only battles I ever like in TW games are big open field battles where I can mash big army against big army. I don't want to play DOTA splitting my army up and sending them up 3 different lanes past towers :( Totally breaks up the flow of the game. Sure I can autoresolve them but minor settlement battles are like... 90% of all of the battles in TW3, lmao

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Anyone finding the TAA setting tanking performance? I have a 3080 and I was getting 45 fps with it on. I disabled it and it actually looks better without the fuzziness and I get like 70 fps in battles.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Has anyone managed to play a multiplayer game with one on game pass for PC and another on Steam? My friend and I couldn't join each others games yesterday but the FAQ says they support cross store multiplayer.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We press the attack on chaos wolf man base and everyone does what we want except Yuri, who is running all the way around the walls

Ok, it’s a bug, but lmfao

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Am I a weirdo if I just like doing endless skirmish matches against AI, and other players? I cant stand the campaign, but have hundreds of hours of watching armies whack one another.

I would love to play more skirmish against AI and less campaign, but the army needs continuity between battles :( The pressure of wanting to preserve troops is a big part of what makes campaign battles fun for me.

I think Shogun 2's multiplayer might have worked that way, or maybe the multiplayer in all the Total War games idk, I'm not into competitive multiplayer stuff either way.

I've always wanted a roguelite mode where you hop from battle to battle with persistent troops in between, preferably even as a multi-faction army.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

deep dish peat moss posted:

Eagerly awaiting the mod that turns off settlement battles. I can appreciate what they're going for but man, the only battles I ever like in TW games are big open field battles where I can mash big army against big army. I don't want to play DOTA splitting my army up and sending them up 3 different lanes past towers :( Totally breaks up the flow of the game. Sure I can autoresolve them but minor settlement battles are like... 90% of all of the battles in TW3, lmao
Yeah I had been hoping for something more like 3K minor settlement battles. Or old WH2 city maps, but without walls and the defender could place a barrier in some roads to create bottlenecks. These minor settlement battles that we got are just so loving bad. They needed to iterate on what 3K did or just add basic minor settlements back in... these rats nests of winding roads, random hills, and towers popping up everywhere just goes way too far in the other direction. Maybe for major settlements but minors are just way too drat tedious to take when they are going to be the majority of the battles you fight.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah the towers are strong as gently caress

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I know it was a tutorial, but I felt Yuri needed a few more steps before jumping off the deep end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

personally Im glad it wasn't longer