Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

nomad2020 posted:

related, does anyone have a good recommendation for an obnoxiously bright flashlight with a random interval flash mode? I have to cross a 4 lane road with a median divider before dawn and find a lot of inattentive drivers.

You could get a bike taillight like the cygolight hypershot 350. Red flashies should make drivers alert, and it should be bright enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://i.imgur.com/l5CGbeO.mp4

:sickos:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

gently caress you and gently caress off, car lover

This thread is "Sinners in the Hand of an Angry Bicycle". Nothing but the most fiery sermons about how cars are bad. And yeah, cars are bad. But you have to live in this world. Sometimes you play the hand you're dealt. I want so bad to live in mixed use housing served by subways, trains, light rail, and rational bus routes. Instead my life forces me into a car box. I have no choice. Except for Hobson's Choice, where I can live as a serf in the parts adjacent to the inner city that haven't been gentrified yet. Or nothing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece has issued a correction as of 04:31 on Feb 18, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This thread is "Sinners in the Hand of an Angry Bicycle". Nothing but the most fiery sermons about how cars are bad. And yeah, cars are bad. But you have to live in this world. Sometimes you play the hand you're dealt. I want so bad to live in mixed use housing served by subways, trains, light rail, and rational bus routes. Instead my life forces me into a car box. I have no choice. Except for Hobson's Choice, where I can live as a serf in the parts adjacent to the inner city that haven't been gentrified yet. Or nothing.

This thread needs an IK who instantly probes anyone who comes in to seriouspost about the PROPER way to drive an automobile. Say one of these bike-loving or car-hating things or gently caress off.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

This thread needs an IK who instantly probes anyone who comes in to seriouspost about the PROPER way to drive an automobile. Say one of these bike-loving or car-hating things or gently caress off.
What did I say that was worthy of probation? What was against the sprit of the thread? Just because I mentioned that things beyond my control make me a car user then I'm wrong? gently caress you! I have these things I can't control I have this life decided by a context over which I have no agency and you want to make me feel bad about it?? gently caress off!!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

actionjackson posted:

I remember seeing quite a few super luxury cars in that area of paris when I was there seven years ago, including that porsche spyder that is 950K and I think is not street legal in the US. Had dubai plates of course. this was either on the champs d' elysees (however you spell it) or rue de rivoli
https://twitter.com/grescoe/status/1494332219577421828?s=20&t=kLqTbpC114QBdhWjB4UDPA

mystes
May 31, 2006

What did I say that was worthy of probation? What was against the sprit of the thread? Just because I mentioned that things beyond my control make me a car user then I'm wrong? gently caress you! I have these things I can't control I have this life decided by a context over which I have no agency and you want to make me feel bad about it?? gently caress off!!

If you want to drive slow, that's fine, but don't drive in the leftmost lane. I don't think speeding is or should be mandatory but I do think people who want to drive slower should stay to the right.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Say one of these bike-loving or car-hating things or gently caress off.

lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Better post on page 162 of the car hating thread about how cars are actually okay.

I am positive my take is fresh

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gonna go into the cars are bad thread to say "cars are bad because they get in my way while I'm driving" I'm very smart

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Instead my life forces me into a car box. I have no choice.

there are plenty of car-havers in this thread, myself included. the key is to understand that everything about this demon cracker contraption is absolute dogshit, and the things it does to your brain when you drive it is dogshit, and you're running into resistance in this thread because you're looking at someone who wants to go 90 mph getting mad at someone who's 'only' going 80 mph and saying they're right to be mad.

but the thing is, they're wrong

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

there are plenty of car-havers in this thread, myself included. the key is to understand that everything about this demon cracker contraption is absolute dogshit, and the things it does to your brain when you drive it is dogshit, and you're running into resistance in this thread because you're looking at someone who wants to go 90 mph getting mad at someone who's 'only' going 80 mph and saying they're right to be mad.

but the thing is, they're wrong

I don't think I've said anything against that point of view

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Stop melting down and hate cars or get out.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Cars bad, my apologies

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

:hmmyes:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

thread success story

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

actionjackson posted:

so everyone who lives in that area will still be able to drive their cars in and out?

basically, yeah, and since it’s (as far as i know) A Nice Part Of Town they’ve basically just mandated it so poor people can’t get in the way of all the loving shitass lambos or whatever french assholes drive

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
You're surprised there's no acceptance of cars in a thread titled "i hate cars"?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

what is up with jeeps... in the past 10 decades jeeps have morphed from "cute tiny suvs" into spiky mad max designs, with mandatory punisher decals

losers are much more frightened of the world than they were 10 years go

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cugel the Clever posted:

I get the argument for short term harm reduction through accommodation of psychos, even if I don't think it's always the best approach, but regardless of its merits, it shouldn't be where the discussion stops about eliminating dangerous driving more broadly. There are steps society can take to not only limit the psychos' ability to harm, but to reduce the number of psychos behind the wheel. Technical impediments like speed limiters on cars can be mandated, just like other safety features.

That's not a safety feature dumbass. You sound like a liberal trying to mandate gun-control using idiotic "common-sense" approaches that at best do nothing, and in all other cases exasperate the societal problems you are ostensibly trying to address. If cars are such a huge problem (which they are), you need to think beyond the car itself. Even discussing the technical features of a car shows you don't actually understand the problem, and you are simply driven by spite, or less charitably jealousy.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Anyone driving is a psycho

Got some bad news for you then.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

That's not a safety feature dumbass. You sound like a liberal trying to mandate gun-control using idiotic "common-sense" approaches that at best do nothing, and in all other cases exasperate the societal problems you are ostensibly trying to address. If cars are such a huge problem (which they are), you need to think beyond the car itself. Even discussing the technical features of a car shows you don't actually understand the problem, and you are simply driven by spite, or less charitably jealousy.
sir, this is an Arby's

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Not gonna lie, this sounds great tbh. I wish Chicago did that too.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Got some bad news for you then.

Being right is already bad news enough

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://i.imgur.com/3iDaL9u.mp4

sweet firebird u got :c00lbert:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bi crimes posted:

thread success story

yeah goldmine

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
car bad, train good

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, there is a bit of an equity issue still allowing the cars of residents but at same time I assume parking and speed limits will be heavily restricted and it will hardly be a delight to drive. It really also depends if j-walking is still a thing or not.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:38 on Feb 18, 2022

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, there is a bit of an equity issue still allowing the cars of residents but at same time I assume parking and speed limits will be heavily restricted and it will hardly be a delight to drive. It really also depends if “j walking” is still a thing or not.

Yeah, like that whole heirarchy of road users thing is a rad idea that does double duty to kneecap these luxury car too

You Gunna look a right idiot trying to honk and edge your way through traffic , doesn't matter how cool your car is

With an emergency siren being a clear enough signal to scatter and allow a vehicle through

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
rome has had that thing going progressively since the early 2000s. there are areas in the center that are only accessible from like 2 am to 8am and a couple hours in the afternoon. pedestrianization was going fine while the centrist technocrat party held the city government, but inevitably got rolled back by the rightwingers who love carbrain
also a lot of places in italy, especially smaller medieval cities, straight up ban cars from going through. if you wanna visit you leave your car at a parking lot outside the walls and cover the distance on foot or with city sponsored shuttles

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

I hate cars

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Polo-Rican posted:

what is up with jeeps... in the past 10 decades jeeps have morphed from "cute tiny suvs" into spiky mad max designs, with mandatory punisher decals
it's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand :smug:

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
here's the thing... there are so many different modes of transportation people could invent that AREN'T 2 ton steel boxes of mutilation and death.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Jestery posted:

Yeah, like that whole heirarchy of road users thing is a rad idea that does double duty to kneecap these luxury car too

You Gunna look a right idiot trying to honk and edge your way through traffic , doesn't matter how cool your car is

With an emergency siren being a clear enough signal to scatter and allow a vehicle through

Also, Parisians are infamous for not giving a poo poo about walking in front of cars and I would assume it would only be more so in that zone.

It depends on how they do it obviously (which lanes are being taken out etc), but if some guy has to creep his lambo around at 20km an hour, then it is going to be a pretty significant disincentive.

It is also putting more pressure on Berlin to actually do something.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Those parts of Paris are well off, but there are plenty of other parts of Paris that are also well off. I'd hazard a guess that the people inconvenienced by this (people driving through the center, commuting into the center by car) are better off on average than the group of (people commuting into the center on public transport, local residents, public transport visitors).

In any case it's hard to do stuff if we rely on transport and urban policy to fix financial inequalities - gotta tackle problems via direct policy/action!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Seems fine if you charge those people a huge tax for owning a car, limit the number they can own, and ensure that cars aren't prioritized by infrastructure.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
owning a car should be a pain in the rear end the same way owning a boat is: a problem that the person having it can afford to have

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Seems fine if you charge those people a huge tax for owning a car, limit the number they can own, and ensure that cars aren't prioritized by infrastructure.

France has a really cool tax scheme on new cars. You pay by fuel efficiency, and a base model Clio pays nothing or almost nothing. A sports car or luxury truck can end up paying about 20k EUR though (going up to 40k this year). There's also a fee for every kg over 1800kg.

If you import an f150 the government probably makes more money off it than ford does

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

who makes that treadmill bike? I have never seen anything like that

also got an email this morning lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i was waiting with some parents outside the school for pickup yesterday and listened to two people talk about the new car one of them just bought

him: "I could hear you coming when you revved your engine! it was loud! and I don't mean that as a bad thing!"

her: "oh yeah and there's a button I can press that makes it even louder!"