Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The game itself defines Flamethrower and Doton and Salted Earth as DoTs therefore the whole top row of that chart counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Firebert posted:

give whm enochian
Make Superbolide castable on party members.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Make Superbolide castable on party members.

Sure, but it’s always the GNB that goes to 1

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I was so mad when I found out you can't use poison potions on yourself like you could in XI :mad: So much for my poison self > superbolide macro.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cicadalek posted:

anything but the Sonic Break definition renders the term so vague as to be useless

That is the joke, yes.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There's a bit of leeway with poo poo like Doton and Living Shadow because:
a: they snapshot their damage at cast time
b: they require no further input or interaction from the caster
c: they actually deal damage

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I can see the logic lumping Reaper debuff in with dots because it's something you want to constantly keep rolling with efficiency limited by clipping duration rather than how often the game lets you hit the button. It's the same niche as bard dots.

It's wrong, but I can see the reasoning.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There's a bit of leeway with poo poo like Doton and Living Shadow because:
a: they snapshot their damage at cast time
b: they require no further input or interaction from the caster
c: they actually deal damage

It's in the name too DoTon.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's in the name too DoTon.

Whenever I put it down on a trash pack the mob immediately drags them Dotout.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ever one shot the door boss and then spend the entire lockout + another 40 minutes wiping to the very last mechanic?

Anyway, P4S finally down.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thundarr posted:

Ever one shot the door boss and then spend the entire lockout + another 40 minutes wiping to the very last mechanic?

Yeah Curtain Call is a brutal healer check. Congrats though.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The chart makes jokes, but Living Shadow absolutely is a DOT. It's an effect that you hit once and deals damage over time to the enemy you put it on. It ticks seven times, even!

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It functionally works like a DoT yeah, though I would argue there's a few technical differences (it needs to path to the target, it can also change targets)

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

jalapeno_dude posted:

Whenever I put it down on a trash pack the mob immediately drags them Dotout.

DoToff was right there imo

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Shadow of Death/Death's Design is culinarily a dot.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So, I just got back into the game and hit level 83 in the story and the first trial, and if I never hear another antagonist say some variation of "you've fallen right into my trap!" that'd be great. like every time I do anything he just likes to appear and be all "my entire plan revolved around you doing that exact thing!". Its maybe the worst thing in all of fiction and at this point I think he's just making it up as he goes along and just says that to annoy me. I think I'd even prefer him just giving me the Ozymandias speech from the end of Watchmen, at least acknowledging I could have done anything about it.

Also for some reason the rotating platform mechanic in the trial breaks my brain. I got the circle AoEs down but I might never really understand how the snakes work without following someone else. like I've read how it works, I know what it does but its like the larboard/starboard thing from Omega where there's 2 different levels of thought (which way is he hitting, and then which way is he facing) and I only have time to make it through 1 of those thoughts before I have to move and sometimes I move the right way by accident

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

A Moose posted:

So, I just got back into the game and hit level 83 in the story and the first trial, and if I never hear another antagonist say some variation of "you've fallen right into my trap!" that'd be great. like every time I do anything he just likes to appear and be all "my entire plan revolved around you doing that exact thing!". Its maybe the worst thing in all of fiction and at this point I think he's just making it up as he goes along and just says that to annoy me. I think I'd even prefer him just giving me the Ozymandias speech from the end of Watchmen, at least acknowledging I could have done anything about it.

Also for some reason the rotating platform mechanic in the trial breaks my brain. I got the circle AoEs down but I might never really understand how the snakes work without following someone else. like I've read how it works, I know what it does but its like the larboard/starboard thing from Omega where there's 2 different levels of thought (which way is he hitting, and then which way is he facing) and I only have time to make it through 1 of those thoughts before I have to move and sometimes I move the right way by accident

He literally says the opposite of that though? He says soemthing along the lines of "Well I planned for the other guy to do this but this will work as well." If you mean the poo poo afterward that's not really a reveal when his first encounter with you has him scream "I want all of you to die and I'll do anything to do it"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just witnessed Y'shtola straight murder a guy god drat.

RIP Magnai

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The scions have all probably murdered many people

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

the aforementioned murder was clearly a warcrime i m o

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Countblanc posted:

The scions have all probably murdered many people

All the bodies vanish so there's no way to confirm.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

did the other two 90 dungeons blind yesterday, and happily i had rather a better time of it than in the MSQ 90 dungeon and trials

for me the trick seems to be just dropping everything but 123 during Mechanics on the first go through a boss, so i'm not overwhelmed by trying to manage reaper burst at the same time

i didn't really grok the first boss of Smileton tho; like i got the basic idea but where exactly to stand to implement said idea didn't seem to work. don't the statues hit in a straight line?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 18, 2022

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ciaphas posted:

did the other two 90 dungeons blind yesterday, and happily i had rather a better time of it than in the MSQ 90 dungeon and trials

for me the trick seems to be just dropping everything but 123 during Mechanics on the first go through a boss, so i'm not overwhelmed by trying to manage reaper burst at the same time

i didn't really grok the first boss of Smileton tho; like i got the basic idea but where exactly to stand to implement said idea didn't seem to work. don't the statues hit in a straight line?

They fire a straight line, but from random sides. And they can swap colours between rounds.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

the sides aren't random they are indicated by the purple lines going from the boss to the side that's going shoot a laser

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i was looking dead at them and noticed the swaps, lining myself up with an opposing tethered statue, but twice that got me hit. do i need to also be on their side of the arena? both times i was standing on the right and the tethered statues left, and i got smoten to the right and stunned when it went off

e: maybe i misjudged my alignment due to the distance, that seems plausible

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 18, 2022

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

The side you're on doesn't matter, they hit all the way across. Just stand in line with one of the opposite color of your debuff and you'll be fine. (Unless "Get off my lawn" is about to cast, then you need to stand in the adjacent row so get off my lawn blows you onto the right one. Or just stand on the right one and use arms length/surecast)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

anyway that was a really fun & cool dungeon; ditto the other one whose name i can't recall. hearing that music again :allears:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Badger of Basra posted:

the sides aren't random they are indicated by the purple lines going from the boss to the side that's going shoot a laser

Yeah, and either side is randomly chosen.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

A Moose posted:

To be fair, his plan up to that point had been unsealing Zodiark and then he immediately beelines into taking over it. It genuinely was established to be his plan from the outset. Either he gets to destroy the world himself as Zodiark, or he dies and Zodiark's protection disappears from the world and leaves it vulnerable to the Final Days.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah Fandaniel didn’t decide that was his plan now, that was his plan the whole time.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Ciaphas posted:

anyway that was a really fun & cool dungeon; ditto the other one whose name i can't recall. hearing that music again :allears:

It's called The Stigma Dreamscape, and it has one of the best premises for why you're there to begin with.

"This alien supercomputer from Omega's homeworld is gearing up to invade your world, so we're going to upload you and your friends into its mind and create a memory of you beating the poo poo out of it to make it reevaluate that decision." :allears:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ciaphas posted:

i was looking dead at them and noticed the swaps, lining myself up with an opposing tethered statue, but twice that got me hit. do i need to also be on their side of the arena? both times i was standing on the right and the tethered statues left, and i got smoten to the right and stunned when it went off

e: maybe i misjudged my alignment due to the distance, that seems plausible

Your issue is you didn’t get hit by the opposite color. The first blast to hit you will give you a debuff that matches the color of the eyes. If you get hit by the same color when you have that debuff, it fucks you up. The gimmick is if you have a blue debuff, get blasted by red eyes and vice versa.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, typically speaking, if there's a boss with two colored attacks, the idea is to get hit by the opposite color of the debuff you have.

Extremes or Savage might play with your expectations of that, though. I don't remember if Neo Exdeath was the opposite.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Yeah, typically speaking, if there's a boss with two colored attacks, the idea is to get hit by the opposite color of the debuff you have.

Extremes or Savage might play with your expectations of that, though. I don't remember if Neo Exdeath was the opposite.

Regular Zurvan has you match up with the same color. Although that's elements so probably not the same mechanic.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

To be fair, his plan up to that point had been unsealing Zodiark and then he immediately beelines into taking over it. It genuinely was established to be his plan from the outset. Either he gets to destroy the world himself as Zodiark, or he dies and Zodiark's protection disappears from the world and leaves it vulnerable to the Final Days.

Yeah its not even as though he "tricked" us really, he maneuvered us into a situation where we have no choice. If we don't fight him, or he kills us then an all powerful primal gets to go on a rampage until being killed and then starting the final days anyway. We did successfully manage to prevent an even worse scenario by beating him, it's just he knew all along that he'd got the better of us by having things work out either way.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Thundarr posted:

congrats to you and your wild freaks

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Reminder since it might not be entirely clear, tonight's Live Letter will be a 10 year road map for the game and MSQ Q&A, so don't expect too much in the way of 6.1 news until March.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah its not even as though he "tricked" us really, he maneuvered us into a situation where we have no choice. If we don't fight him, or he kills us then an all powerful primal gets to go on a rampage until being killed and then starting the final days anyway. We did successfully manage to prevent an even worse scenario by beating him, it's just he knew all along that he'd got the better of us by having things work out either way.

Yup, all he needed to do was unseal Zodiark. Preventing him from doing so is the one thing that would foil his plans, and that didn’t involve the WoL falling for anything. Once you fail to stop him doing that one thing, every outcome is equally agreeable to him. His one regret is not getting to take the WoL out.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I've been leveling some DPS with squadrons and I do not understand why people like them more than trusts. Sure they do a bigger share of damage than trusts once they've leveled tactics a bit and can theoretically get through dungeons quicker, but otherwise they're worse in every way. The most annoying thing is having to manage tank enmity with Engage because they won't pick up every mob in a pack, and sometimes will lose enmity on things they already picked up. Trust tanks will pick up anything that gets near them and that's that.

The thing where boss mechanics that target non-tanks will only target you can be pretty obnoxious too, depending on the fight. Tioman is annoying as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cleared P1S last night. This is my first time doing savages, and it's neat to figure out what I can improve by taking all the different resources and putting them together.

"Okay, xivanalysis says I had 85% GCD use, but ffxivtracker says 99% uptime so I always hit something but sometimes I got flustered and hit an oGCD instead of a GCD. Looking at the full breakdown there's an occasional missed one here or there, but the only large gap is at 7 minutes. Akhmorning has a timeline... oh THAT mechanic, where I needed to swap and my partner was slow to notice and we both panicked. That explains it."

I wish some of the xivanalysis notes had "how much does this actually matter" though. Apparently I'm hitting some buffs in my 2-min window the wrong way round (it says to use Radiant Finale and Battle Voice after Raging Strikes, I was hitting them first because I figure group buffs take priority), and I guess it considers that major enough to have a specific callout but do I need to care?