Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Luneshot posted:

I used a Kinect for full-body tracking in VRChat for a while. It was the economical solution compared to lighthouses + tracker pucks (I had a Rift S).

It did work for basic things like swaying your hips or low-energy dancing or whatever, but foot location was very jittery and turning around or sitting were pretty janky. Laying down was definitely a no-go.

I got so used to standing in one place facing towards the Kinect and using thumbsticks to turn around that I basically only do that in VR, which makes having my decent-size roomscale space kinda pointless.

I've seen some friends use Kinects for full-body tracking. Turn to your side and you become an instant mermaid! :v:

Also it's kinda fascinating how blatant Facebook is with what they want out of VR, because they've pretty much said the reason their avatars don't have legs is because they can't capture that data from your real body (and sell it).

Inverse Kinematics? What're they gonna get out of fake legs?! :confused:

quote:

They also predict that, rather than seeing an increase in VR legs, there will be fewer people asking about VR legs over time.
"The problem is the closer it gets to real, the more it starts to bug people that it isn't real," West said.

If we ignore it, the problem will go away! :pseudo: Also they off-hand mention VRChat at the end and take care not to mention THEIR avatars having legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

BrainDance posted:

Can you? Because this is a legitimate issue for me, if I want to play anything PCVR with the Quest 2, the Oculus software needs to be running, the Oculus software will never actually start without an internet connection. Since I'm in China and Oculus is Facebook, it's technically blocked so it will never actually start without my VPN being up. My VPN is always up but, it'd be nice to not be at the whims of the government censors and left unable to play PCVR the week of National Day or whatever.

Everything I've read seems to indicate that yes, you should be able to play Oculus PC VR games if you aren't connected to the Internet. It might be like Steam where you need to run it at least once while online first, but the only time I've seen somebody say otherwise is when there is a bug. It also might need to be on the stable branch instead of the beta branch.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know any good horror games for VR? PC I guess, cause there's squat in the Oculus store.

Red matter was pretty cool, and had a great setting and some spooky places. Just looking for something that's more creepy and dread than 900 jump scares.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Phasmophobia is fantastic, but it's really meant to be multiplayer, and you have to play it with people you know instead of pubbies.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Sagebrush posted:

Phasmophobia is fantastic, but it's really meant to be multiplayer, and you have to play it with people you know instead of pubbies.

I joined their discord and tried to play with pubbies and that was the fastest game start to gamer words I've ever encountered. gently caress, gamers are terrible.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RandomBlue posted:

I joined their discord and tried to play with pubbies and that was the fastest game start to gamer words I've ever encountered. gently caress, gamers are terrible.

It's funny that I almost never encounter Gamer Words in Pavlov; a game you'd expect to draw in those types in droves.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Crap. Sounds cool, but I'm the only one of my friends to have a gaming PC and VR. I quit public multiplayer about 6 or 7 years ago after I had a HALO match on with pubs and literally it was just good people congratulating each other on good kills and whatnot. I guess it was a Canadian server or something. Decided to stop while I was ahead. There was no way it wasn't downhill from there.

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone know any good horror games for VR? PC I guess, cause there's squat in the Oculus store.

Red matter was pretty cool, and had a great setting and some spooky places. Just looking for something that's more creepy and dread than 900 jump scares.

Resident evil 4 can be pretty stressful.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Crap. Sounds cool, but I'm the only one of my friends to have a gaming PC and VR. I quit public multiplayer about 6 or 7 years ago after I had a HALO match on with pubs and literally it was just good people congratulating each other on good kills and whatnot. I guess it was a Canadian server or something. Decided to stop while I was ahead. There was no way it wasn't downhill from there.

On the other hand, some pub games can be a rich source of entertainment for how bonkers people get.

I had one chap in Mechwarrior Online complain about getting killed by xyz weapon he deemed unfair or whatever. I can't keep my mouth shut, so I told him that xyz weapon is just a fact of the game and he'd be better off just chilling out.

He proceeded to have a meltdown, and declare that, essentially, having a tantrum about things like a giant pissbaby was a sign of strength, and that the current generation are "weak" for not doing so. Outstanding. Never seen anything like it in my life. Also could not stop laughing.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah, stepping into a public area of RecRoom gets me n-bombed almost immediately.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

It's funny that I almost never encounter Gamer Words in Pavlov; a game you'd expect to draw in those types in droves.

Yeah, Pavlov of all places is oddly chill, perhaps because by nature of VR shooters you can't really go super competitive and it's more focused about loving around. Even in Onward, where I'd expect the most sweaty wannabe online operators, everybody was pretty welcoming and supportive. Though it's also filled with a weird amount of actual children.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm convinced that the more restrictions a game puts on player communication, the better it is.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Also on Quest
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/...MuCOrvc5mMLbEUw

and notably cheaper than VVR2.

Also, Virtuoso (music creation app thingie) is coming to Steam/official oculus store
https://www.roadtovr.com/virtuoso-quest-2-steam-vr-release-trailer/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Outlier will be out (in EA) on March
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1596690/OUTLIER/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jatKF4LuCHY&t=13s

This will be the *fourth* game still on Early Access from same same developer.

Pistol Whip announces... something. could it be coop?
https://twitter.com/PistolWhipVR/status/1494377857765756929

Condimentalist
Jun 13, 2007
Speaking of Pavlov, it’s on sale for $5 for the next 4 hours.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/555160/Pavlov_VR/

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've seen some friends use Kinects for full-body tracking. Turn to your side and you become an instant mermaid! :v:

Also it's kinda fascinating how blatant Facebook is with what they want out of VR, because they've pretty much said the reason their avatars don't have legs is because they can't capture that data from your real body (and sell it).

Inverse Kinematics? What're they gonna get out of fake legs?! :confused:

If we ignore it, the problem will go away! :pseudo: Also they off-hand mention VRChat at the end and take care not to mention THEIR avatars having legs.

lol i can't wait for facebook to crash and burn

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Improbable Lobster posted:

lol i can't wait for facebook to crash and burn

The article didn't actually say anything like that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Well, that's kind of a no-brainer even if I'm hesitant to play with strangers in VR. Hell I don't even play VRChat socially which is the entire point of that game.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
vrchat is a million times more interesting than the metaverse, it's impressive to pull of that level of failure

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
PCVR Pavlov is such a great game. It's literally CSGO/Day of Defeat in VR and people arent awful. This is the lowest price it's ever gone and I am hoping it leads more people to play

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The article didn't actually say anything like that.

We can dream though. At the very least it's very entertaining how each time they trot out this bland PR spiel of "this is the future, our human avatars make VR like reality, but it's hard to do right you guys. Please clap :geno:", and everyone just dunks on them effortlessly with a snippet of VRChat or NEOS.

All I can say is legs are hard? Sorry, I can't hear you over my eight-legged Final IK-powered spider VRChat avatar scurrying about. (Incidentally they're a real bitch and a half to set up right).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://store.steampowered.com/app/503580/Duck_Season/

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All I can say is legs are hard? Sorry, I can't hear you over my eight-legged Final IK-powered spider VRChat avatar scurrying about. (Incidentally they're a real bitch and a half to set up right).

VR chat leg tracking is mostly pretty fussy and requires a bunch of external hardware that itself is really not mainstream ready.

Like yeah they could just animate legs with no tracking, but lots of social stuff (big screen, rec room, etc) just skip legs. Trying to spin it as some weird thing where facebook wants to sell your leg data (what leg data? to who?) seems crazy. They just don't track legs because leg tracking still isn't very mature and isn't a standard feature on quests yet.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I honestly don't see the point in leg tracking

Most people aren't playing in empty warehouses large enough to translate actual walking to game locomotion, so the movement is abstracted anyway. So it's either floating torso or your avatar gliding around in whatever pose you're doing in that cleared spot in your living room

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

VR chat leg tracking is mostly pretty fussy and requires a bunch of external hardware that itself is really not mainstream ready.

Like yeah they could just animate legs with no tracking, but lots of social stuff (big screen, rec room, etc) just skip legs. Trying to spin it as some weird thing where facebook wants to sell your leg data (what leg data? to who?) seems crazy. They just don't track legs because leg tracking still isn't very mature and isn't a standard feature on quests yet.

It's about a more complete image of your body language and physical health. Leg tracking's also a standardized thing in SteamVR with multiple methods to drive it existing. Rec Room's a different case, because they go for as optimized an experience as possible and ditch IK altogether in favour of floating hands.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Facebook doesn't have avatars with legs for the same reason that for years they advised against having full arms: because they were in the belief that IK systems aren't good enough. Their stance was that even if they work 96% of the time, the 4% that fails makes people break immersion and people would fixate in how sometimes it doesn't work, so it's better to abstract them away.
Now, obviously they changed opinion about arms at some point, but given there is no tracking for legs, the IK would fail a bigger % of time, so it fits their beliefs that they won't do it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Still sad the Sword Art Online thing died in the water. I wanna lay down comfortably and enter the Game Zone

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Now, obviously they changed opinion about arms at some point, but given there is no tracking for legs, the IK would fail a bigger % of time, so it fits their beliefs that they won't do it.

Actually the IK fails less on legs in my experience. There's less to go wrong compared to the range of motion arms can have trying to solve for hand position and rotation. Especially on a standardized armature like what Facebook would be using.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

The new level of walkabout mini golf is out and right beside it was Golf+ for 25% off so they got me to get both.

I never realized how relaxing VR golf could be.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The reason they don't like legs is because they can't get leg data from just the headset alone. They need a mirror or some external sensors to do it and they want an experience where you just put on the headset and you are done. It is impossible to use the headset cameras because all of our goon bellies are going to block any view down under.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

The new level of walkabout mini golf is out and right beside it was Golf+ for 25% off so they got me to get both.

I never realized how relaxing VR golf could be.

Ha, are we playing the same game? I also just picked up Walkabout, and I haven't been angrier at a game recently than when I shank short puts after difficult obstacles.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's about a more complete image of your body language and physical health. Leg tracking's also a standardized thing in SteamVR with multiple methods to drive it existing. Rec Room's a different case, because they go for as optimized an experience as possible and ditch IK altogether in favour of floating hands.

I get facebook being the evil empire but this seems like a really unclear underpants gnome style thing to get freaked out about.

1) Facebook scans our legs
2) somehow gets health data from that
3) ????
4) sinister profit.

There is lots of VR avatar things that don't animate your legs, It doesn't seem like some sort of giant plot to steal your leg health. Like even you say that legs are part of body language, which is why they don't want to just fake it, they want to add legs when the quest has some actual leg tracking, not some 3rd party 3d printed thing some guy hand assembles for you.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I get facebook being the evil empire but this seems like a really unclear underpants gnome style thing to get freaked out about.

1) Facebook scans our legs
2) somehow gets health data from that
3) ????
4) sinister profit.

There is lots of VR avatar things that don't animate your legs, It doesn't seem like some sort of giant plot to steal your leg health. Like even you say that legs are part of body language, which is why they don't want to just fake it, they want to add legs when the quest has some actual leg tracking, not some 3rd party 3d printed thing some guy hand assembles for you.

If data exists Facebook wants it, this isn't an unclear, pants gnome whatever, it is quite literally what they do.

Facebook is so *Facebook* that you can't even conspiracy theory about them anymore because truth is beyond what conspiracy theories were even 20 years ago.

I think it's more that they just don't get how to do things and are acting like they are making the rules for how VR is supposed to be whole ignoring other innovations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
When you're as big as Facebook, it can be tempting to roll everything yourself because a) you have the resources and b) you won't need to share anything with anyone that way. It's often a trap though, especially if you're trying to drive something new because reinventing the wheel always takes time and money and even for an organisation like Facebook those are limited.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I would guess that the no legs justification is leaning heavily on some poorly designed experiment or research involving the act of perceiving people and how much attention is paid to their legs. Then this paper just gets repeated over and over in the office as accepted wisdom

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
You can speculate about Facebook's "intentions" all you want, but it probably just comes down to them being lazy and out of touch. :shrug:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Legs are bad in VR because you don't have any direct control of your legs, except in extremely limited circumstances (extra trackers and you're in a space where there's enough room to walk around), but floating torsos are also dumb, because they look extremely stupid and it puts you really far away from things you can interact with

Raccoon Lagoon has pretty traditional stick locomotion but puts the torso near the ground, it doesn't seem to cause any extra motion sickness and it means you don't need long range force grabs because you can just directly go up to everything and interact with it

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
counterpoint: people in vrchat spend literal hours looking at their legs they have no motion control of. There are hundreds if not thousands of people playing vrchat right now doing it. I think you're right that the best solution is to deemphasize the legs rather than pretend they dont exist

Condimentalist
Jun 13, 2007
Humble bundle VR bundle. I have synth raiders and I love it.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/vr-discovery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

KakerMix posted:

If data exists Facebook wants it, this isn't an unclear, pants gnome whatever, it is quite literally what they do.

WHAT data though?

Like say quest 3 has an ankle bracelet tracking thing, who is buying like ankle x/y/z/roll/pitch/yaw data? what could someone DO with that data? What health information does that give away that already wearing a quest in general isn't giving away?