Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

FishBulbia posted:

steak, in most cases, is not worth the fuss people make over it

don't get me wrong, it can be good and even excellent, but so can a burger or chicken thighs, for that matter.

The only bad steak-likers are the ones who think your manliness hinges on how low of a temperature you eat it at. I don't like well done steak that much either but I also don't like chewy raw cold meat. Medium rare (when you're at a place that can do it well) or medium (for when you're getting steak at applebees or something) is the sweet spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That steak should not be well done is the WASPiest of WASP idiocies.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I admittedly like blue steak, but the problem is that eating steak blue really reveals the quality of the meat, so a poo poo steak tastes extra poo poo.

A poo poo cut of meat is better served by being cooked longer.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That steak should not be well done is the WASPiest of WASP idiocies.

You would not believe how much I put the WAS in WASP. Irish, Scottish and English, plus the 1-in-3 chance that I've got Viking genetics that all English have, and I'd be incredibly surprised if there isn't some Dutch or German in there.

I am faintly lumenescent in the dark.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

I admittedly like blue steak, but the problem is that eating steak blue really reveals the quality of the meat, so a poo poo steak tastes extra poo poo.

A poo poo cut of meat is better served by being cooked longer.

You would not believe how much I put the WAS in WASP. Irish, Scottish and English, plus the 1-in-3 chance that I've got Viking genetics that all English have, and I'd be incredibly surprised if there isn't some Dutch or German in there.

I am faintly lumenescent in the dark.

That's the parasites from uncooked meat.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
phuo: It's not possible to conduct a civil conversation about steak.

I have to wonder what the raw crowd will do with the next wave of fake meat. I'm not sure blue texture is their primary goal.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Seafood when done properly is better than the best steak.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

yeah I eat rear end posted:

High quality surf and turf with a twice baked potato is the height of mankind's culinary achievements combining ingredients with origins from all over the world.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's the parasites from uncooked meat.

Rubbish. I CHOOSE to sit on the tip of this long grass blade.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

phuo: It's not possible to conduct a civil conversation about steak.

I have to wonder what the raw crowd will do with the next wave of fake meat. I'm not sure blue texture is their primary goal.

The problem with steakchat is that it gets caught up with how it's cooked, when the real insufferability is people who view steak as the apex of the culinary arts.

Steak's good but I can't say I crave it like Hainese chicken rice or a good burger.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Oh god it just depends on the cut. Some cuts are generally at their best when well done*. If you don't like well done then don't get that cut.

*Does NOT mean cooked to dryness.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Elissimpark posted:

Steak's good but I can't say I crave it like Hainese chicken rice or a good burger.

Exactly!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I remember years and years ago, when they were first trying to figure out how to make money on the internet, there was this idea of micropayments. Like, if you wanted to read a magazine article online you'd pay like ten cents for it. Or if there was a popular blog, you'd pay like five cents to unlock each blog post. The basic idea being it would be all tiny little amounts of money you wouldn't mind paying, but it would add up for the provider.

there are obvious drawbacks to that scheme, mainly how easy it would be to spend a ton of money without realizing it. But I gotta think it would be better than the current scheme, where every loving newspaper and website wants you to make an account and pay a loving monthly fee if you want to read a single article.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bring back beenz

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Mediocre goat is better than the best steak. But steak is still good and deserves a place in this world.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Mediocre goat is better than the best steak. But steak is still good and deserves a place in this world.

Posted by a person who's never had actually mediocre goat.

Good goat is better than good steak though, hands down. Lamb too. And I say that as a guy who loves steak.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Gripweed posted:

I remember years and years ago, when they were first trying to figure out how to make money on the internet, there was this idea of micropayments. Like, if you wanted to read a magazine article online you'd pay like ten cents for it. Or if there was a popular blog, you'd pay like five cents to unlock each blog post. The basic idea being it would be all tiny little amounts of money you wouldn't mind paying, but it would add up for the provider.

there are obvious drawbacks to that scheme, mainly how easy it would be to spend a ton of money without realizing it. But I gotta think it would be better than the current scheme, where every loving newspaper and website wants you to make an account and pay a loving monthly fee if you want to read a single article.
People wanted "all the benefits of streaming content!" and they gravitated toward centralized providers. That opportunity to build reasonable infrastructure for micropayments meant no smaller industries could independently manage to build something more equitable to their customers. IE, no one is filling out a standard online payment form for a 5¢ download, especially when the large providers had constant security issues.

Other than WSJ and NYT, I don't recall many news sites charging before 2020. Many had started down the path of registration requirements above 3 per month or whatever, but it feels like the mad rush to full registration happened in the last two years. Maybe that was just chronological coincidence.

I don't know if individual paywall sites are really gonna last. With advertising you have a hook to draw in a future customer; I still ignore most of that noise (if YouTube won't let me skip, and sometimes even when it does, I just check the commercial time and go do something else). Since ads turn me off, what does a news site have? A headline... "well I guess you don't want me to know your opinions since I can't read it", which isn't going to turn me into a customer. Unless they're winning Pulitzers, how is a potential customer going to know they "want" to be reading it?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

"Well-done is the real way to eat steak actually" is the goofiest, gooniest opinion I've seen in a while

Like eat whatever garbage you want but getting smug about that is absolutely wild

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Hallucinating? No one said that.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gripweed posted:

I think most micropayment schemes evolved into in-app payments based around consumables and currency obfuscation, along with framework support of more traditional subscription models.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
Steak sucks. So does red meat in general

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Well, there's a UO if I ever heard one.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Honestly I'm ready to give it up myself. Between the rising prices and dropping quality, I'm not super interested in keeping the beef habit going

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
My "Where's the BEEF?" shirt has a lot of people asking questions already answered by my shirt.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Manager Hoyden posted:

Honestly I'm ready to give it up myself. Between the rising prices and dropping quality, I'm not super interested in keeping the beef habit going

Hire better gigolos

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Some delicious junk food that goes sadly unappreciated:

Matoni's non-alc Mojito
Any of Crunky's over-complicated chocolates
Frutopia's Pink Lemonade Euphoria (RIP)
Grace's massive cans of coconut juice
Those gray brauts they sell at street vendors in Toronto
Funnel cakes. Period. They will eventually kill me and it will be a sweet, oily death
Citra (this might be worse than I remember it's been a long time since I tried it)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Sending your dog to a trainer should be a mandatory part of dog ownership

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Steak is the most boring meat, worse than baked chicken breast, since it does worse with actual flavourings and summons far more assholes, and non-meats are almost universally better.

Seafood is the only class of animal bits that are actually better than the equivalent with beans, tofu, pure veg, etc.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 01:51 on Feb 18, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress that no not even. Tofu seitan et all are no substitute for real meat

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I mostly eat veggies on account of my vegetarian wife, tofu is one of my favorite foods to cook with, and seitan is okay too with the right recipe

But tempeh is straight up nasty

There is no way to cook it that unnastifies it. The best you can hope for is to cover it up with other tastes and textures enough to not notice it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tempeh used to be my favorite, it tastes like cardboard, but you can just go hard on sauce which made it tolerable. Once I hosed around with Tofu and Seitan enough to learn how to do em up well then they became the superior option.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gaius Marius posted:

gently caress that no not even. Tofu seitan et all are no substitute for real meat

They're not substitutes, they're better

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I guess my phuo is that tempeh is loving delicious and should be a standard offering everywhere.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Tempeh has a nice mushroomy dimension due to the rhizopus. Funnily enough, the fungus that ruins strawberries (and durian) is also a rhizopus. Great in one context, not great in another. But decay is also a bit of an acquired taste. I normally can't stand stinky tofu and rauchbiers but when I was functionally vegan because I was dating a vegan they absolutley hit that "good gamey meat more like horse or deer than lamb but on that spectrum" and "bacon!" respectively. I know stinky tofu isn't vegan but my partner at the time had no idea and no interest in eating it so it was a victimless crime.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The thing that puts me off of tempeh is the "h" at the end. I don't know why it bothers me but it does.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Millenials are gonna feel bad about blaming everything on the boomers when we start getting blamed for destroying the economy by spending too much money on drawings of apes.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Tempeh has a nice mushroomy dimension due to the rhizopus. Funnily enough, the fungus that ruins strawberries (and durian) is also a rhizopus. Great in one context, not great in another. But decay is also a bit of an acquired taste. I normally can't stand stinky tofu and rauchbiers but when I was functionally vegan because I was dating a vegan they absolutley hit that "good gamey meat more like horse or deer than lamb but on that spectrum" and "bacon!" respectively. I know stinky tofu isn't vegan but my partner at the time had no idea and no interest in eating it so it was a victimless crime.

Holy poo poo. I don't know a lot about tempeh other than how good it is and I'd certainly never heard of rhizopus (lol what a name for something edible). So, I like eating this creepy looking stuff?

Anyway yeah, it is gamey! No wonder I like it so much.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Holy poo poo. I don't know a lot about tempeh other than how good it is and I'd certainly never heard of rhizopus (lol what a name for something edible).

Well, that is the latin binomial. It has much more pleasant sounding names in places like Indonesia and southern China. Colonialism and Orientalism are a bitch and language and science are loving riddled with them like fleas.

I really like mixed-fermentation products. You can buy Peuyeum started on Amazon. Chop up some cassava (purists say frozen pre-chopped cassava isn't as good and ... maybe? I can't really tell a difference) or put it on cooked rice. If you let it go for a little bit it is sweet and with juuust enough tartness to take the edge off. Like a pre-modern sweet-tart. If you let it go longer it becomes a complex, sour, slightly boozy drink. Great stuff.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

thetoughestbean posted:

Sending your dog to a trainer should be a mandatory part of dog ownership

Sending? Training classes are for the owner, not the dog. You need to go with them.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Mr.Chill posted:

Some delicious junk food that goes sadly unappreciated:

Matoni's non-alc Mojito
Any of Crunky's over-complicated chocolates
Frutopia's Pink Lemonade Euphoria (RIP)
Grace's massive cans of coconut juice
Those gray brauts they sell at street vendors in Toronto
Funnel cakes. Period. They will eventually kill me and it will be a sweet, oily death
Citra (this might be worse than I remember it's been a long time since I tried it)

I haven't seen Fruitopia around here in ages and I miss it.

Never heard of Crunky's but I am down for whatever 'over-complicated chocolate' is.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

prom candy posted:

Sending? Training classes are for the owner, not the dog. You need to go with them.

THANK YOU. What's more dogs are hyper-focused on their human friends*, and they really love training. Teaching a dog commands doesn't feel mean to them as long as treats and love come at the end. You owe it to your dog to give them all they need. Part of that is commands and praise.

Semi-related: my partner fosters service puppies and one just graduated to go be a dog hero. I know you all love cute dog pics. Our baby just graduated and went to dog college to help people. So here's dog pics. I miss her. And it's been like two days.

*mostly, don't post sad stories about Maremma Sheepdogs again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

prom candy posted:

Should have said bringing, yeah. But my point stands: too many people don’t train their dogs, especially their small dogs

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

THANK YOU. What's more dogs are hyper-focused on their human friends*, and they really love training. Teaching a dog commands doesn't feel mean to them as long as treats and love come at the end. You owe it to your dog to give them all they need. Part of that is commands and praise.

Semi-related: my partner fosters service puppies and one just graduated to go be a dog hero. I know you all love cute dog pics. Our baby just graduated and went to dog college to help people. So here's dog pics. I miss her. And it's been like two days.

*mostly, don't post sad stories about Maremma Sheepdogs again

Good dog