Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm not sure if my setup was particularly special but I feel like I was getting 30fps with the TV smoothing any rough spots and upscaling. It worked well for playing monhun before it was ported to Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
sorry if this has been asked before but are there any deep cut 3ds store exclusives to get before the system is cast into the outer darkness? haven't messed with my 3ds in a while.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

uber_stoat posted:

sorry if this has been asked before but are there any deep cut 3ds store exclusives to get before the system is cast into the outer darkness? haven't messed with my 3ds in a while.

Not sure if theyre deep cuts per say but I'd recommend everything in the 3D Classics collection.

I also recommend the Dillon's Rolling Western duology and Pushmo trilogy.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 18, 2022

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

If you like Ace Attorney, the last 2 are digital only exclusives. Not exactly deep cuts.
Pokemon Picross, but you have to pay to unlock new puzzles.
Twilight Princess Picross that you can only get with platinum coins.
Pocket Card Jockey.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pilotwings Resort is another good pickup. I feel like it got overlooked since it was a launch game that was a bit too expensive but it's a great sequel.

I saw tons of used copies going for $5 a few years ago but not sure about that now.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 18, 2022

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

SeANMcBAY posted:

Not sure if theyre deep cuts per say but I'd recommend everything in the 3D Classics collection.

I also recommend the Dillon's Rolling Western duology and Pushmo trilogy.

What about that third Dillon game, ever play it? Dead Heat Breakers?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The games in the Pushmo series as well as the Box Boy games are great. I didn't put much time into it but Pocket Card Jockey was a thread favorite.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

PlushCow posted:

It's great, and it's also available physically which is why I guess it wasn't mentioned since the topic's about what to grab before the eShop goes poof.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

It's great, and it's also available physically which is why I guess it wasn't mentioned since the topic's about what to grab before the eShop goes poof.

Physical in PAL territories.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PlushCow posted:

I didn’t even know there was a 3rd one! Guess I’ll grab it.

Oh yeah, the BoxBoy games are all great too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I am venturing into the wide open world of 3DS homebrew AS WE SPEAK, here's hoping I don't brick my 3DS!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Xenomrph posted:

I am venturing into the wide open world of 3DS homebrew AS WE SPEAK, here's hoping I don't brick my 3DS!

Recovering from most bricks isn't very hard if you have the right equipment and know what you're doing.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

endlessmonotony posted:

Recovering from most bricks isn't very hard if you have the right equipment and know what you're doing.

Bing bong so simple

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xenomrph posted:

it's very unlikely, have fun!

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Can you read a GitHub readMe and install software? If yes, you can hack a 3ds.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

BattleMaster posted:

Bing bong so simple

It really is. Bricks take a bit more work to find someone with the right tools, but they're hardly the end of the world.

And they're a lot less common than hardware failures at this point.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Question, are the servers for the 3DS, Wii U and Switch eShop separate, or do they all share server?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Willo567 posted:

Question, are the servers for the 3DS, Wii U and Switch eShop separate, or do they all share server?

Switch is separate. 3DS/WiiU share.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

BoxBoy 1/2/3
Pushmo/Crashmo/Stretchmo
The Guild games, especially Crimson Shroud and Attack of the Friday Monsters IMO.
Picross 3D round 2 is only digital in some reasons. The My Nintendo zelda picross game and the Picross E series.
Denpa Men 1/2/3 - I haven't played these myself.
Pocket. Card. Jockey.
If you love Cinq games, like LOVE them, there was a little game they put together, Cold Case Investigations.
Rusty's Real Deal Baseball

Probably worth considering DLC to be a store exclusive too. The final fantasy theatrhythm games have a ton of songs. Fire Emblem Fates has a bonus campaign. Smash 4 and everything from Atlus (SMT4, 4A, Persona Q/Q2, etc) has a boatload. NSMB2 had a bunch of DLC levels. Ace Attorney 5 and 6 are eshop titles with DLC cases (but they're both on mobile). Rusty's Real Deal Baseball is DLC-focused game. There's also some demos, like Bravely Default, Bravely Second, and Pokemon Sun/Moon, with unique content (rather than just being the intro levels of the full games).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

drat how did I forget about Rusty. That’s a great one.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The original Senran Kagura Burst ($19.99) is a digital only download in North America. The sequel Senran Kagura 2 is $29.99 on the eShop and shows up around $50 loose, $75 CIB.

The duology actually has a good story and gameplay behind it. When the series made the jump to Vita they kept pushing the envelope until Sony told them to stop.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I had to grind up an additional five levels to beat Neo ExDexth since I couldn't kill him when I first reached him.

Also used decided to use Mighty Guard.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Can't wait to buy the FE Awakening DLC and never actually play it.

E: And the Smash 4 characters :shepface:

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Is Rusty worth it? The freebie game he gives you seems like something I could probably get on my phone for free. IIRC you can game the system in a way to cheapen the DLC.

Can’t remember if it’s in 3D…that would probably make me get it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Xenomrph posted:

SUCCESS!

I don’t even know what to do with my now hacked 3DS. Like, do I load emulators on it? If so, how do I use them? Does it just add an icon to the Home Screen?

Am I going to have to unscrew the back of the 3DS and pop out the microSD card any time I want to do anything? Because that’s, like, a pain in the rear end

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

SUCCESS!

I don’t even know what to do with my now hacked 3DS. Like, do I load emulators on it? If so, how do I use them? Does it just add an icon to the Home Screen?

Am I going to have to unscrew the back of the 3DS and pop out the microSD card any time I want to do anything? Because that’s, like, a pain in the rear end

yeah, put some emulators + roms on there. snes9x is really good, and picodrive can run genesis and even sega cd games. these'll work better for you if you have a *new* 3ds though (which you do since it's microsd and you have to unscrew it). uh there are really good mario 64 and quake ports. and you can install gba games and play them natively, don't bother with the gba emulators, the virtual console way is just miles ahead. and people like playing ds games over the sd card using twilight menu, it's supposed to be pretty good now. honestly at this point you can kind of do most anything you could realistically want to with a hacked 3ds. it's cool.

you can either install stuff to the home screen or access it through the homebrew launcher. .3dsx files open though the homebrew launcher, .cia files install to the home screen via FBI.

for transferring files, i only unscrew the back if i'm going to transfer several gigabytes of stuff (like 12gb+) because its so easy to break the area around the screws and tear up the paint on the back case when attaching and detaching it. otherwise, you can use the program ftpd to ftp them over wifi, which is slow but honestly not that bad, especially for things like roms.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fly Ricky posted:

Is Rusty worth it? The freebie game he gives you seems like something I could probably get on my phone for free. IIRC you can game the system in a way to cheapen the DLC.

Yes it’s worth it and they’re all 3D.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

SUCCESS!

So, you can put emulators on it. I personally wouldn't recommend it, but I'm more of a type of guy who'd rather have a billion different devices with a specific purpose than one that does a lot of things.

If you go the emulator route, it'll add one icon to the home screen and you just load up the application and play off a list. The other option is a software injection tool. This will put an individual ROM on your home screen, using Nintendo's emulators.

If you're looking for 3DS games, you can't just drop them on the SD card and boot them up, you gotta get them in a .CIA file which can be installed into the home screen using a program called FBI, which you'll download and install when using the 3DS Guide process.

Keep in mind, you cannot have more than 300 applications on your home screen. This includes games and utility apps. Now, this doesn't mean you can't have more than 300 things installed at once, but you'll lose access to the earliest things installed if you go past the 300 mark. (You'll regain access to something that disappeared from the home screen if you uninstall something.) I say try to keep it under 280 things installed.

Installing games using FBI can take a lot of time. It will continue to install while you have the system closed. I recommend connecting it to the AC adapter, setting to install all and deleting the CIA file, and letting it run overnight. JRPGs can take forever. I believe the New 3DS is a bit faster than the older hardware.

Yes, it's a pain in the rear end with the New 3DS systems to have to unscrew it and stuff every time you take the MicroSD card in and out, which is a few times during the hacking process. But once you got everything you want installed you don't gotta worry about it much after that.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

Keep in mind, you cannot have more than 300 applications on your home screen. This includes games and utility apps. Now, this doesn't mean you can't have more than 300 things installed at once, but you'll lose access to the earliest things installed if you go past the 300 mark. (You'll regain access to something that disappeared from the home screen if you uninstall something.) I say try to keep it under 280 things installed.

Can't you launch the games that disappeared via FBI if you go over the 300 limit?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think so. I remember messing around with it a while ago and my system settings disappeared and this was how I was able to recover it. I personally prefer having them on the home screen. And at that point I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yes, it's a pain in the rear end with the New 3DS systems to have to unscrew it and stuff every time you take the MicroSD card in and out, which is a few times during the hacking process. But once you got everything you want installed you don't gotta worry about it much after that.

If you didn’t just leave the back off during that process, I don’t know what to tell you.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wouldn't want to risk the battery falling out while it's in the middle of doing its thing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Another little eshop only gem I’ve discovered is Aero Porter. It’s an airport baggage sorting sim by Yoot Saito, of Yoot Tower and Seaman fame. It’s actually the latest game he’s made.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

For a SD card that's 64 GB and up, what size cluster should they be? I'm aware that the card needs to be formatted to FAT32, but didn't know if the cluster size makes a difference in speed.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Willo567 posted:

For a SD card that's 64 GB and up, what size cluster should they be? I'm aware that the card needs to be formatted to FAT32, but didn't know if the cluster size makes a difference in speed.

if it’s 64 gb or more, use the 64kb cluster. if it’s less use 32kb clusters. if you use 32kb clusters on big cards it’s slower and it can mess up running gba games.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I thought Rusty's Real Deal Baseball was some shovelware title but it's surprisingly charming and fun.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Fly Ricky posted:

Rusty’s is one of the best games on the system. The baseball mini games are surprisingly diverse and everything in the game is so satisfying to execute.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Xenomrph posted:

SUCCESS!

You can install a homebrew FTP app to handle file transfers now, it's not lightning fast but IMO better than constantly having to remove that faceplate. Also if you have the CIA for what you want to install on the 3DS you can network install it through FBI.

As for emulation, you can just directly inject roms into the official Virtual Console emulator for NES/SNES/Genesis/Game Boy (Color)/GBA. GBA and DS games you can play using the 3DS backwards compatibility and Twilight Menu.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I actually prefer emulators on the 3DS. They let you use cheats and save states, they load quicker and they generally work well. Only inject the games that don't run well.

Also I prefer an R4 over Twilight, pretty much for the opposite reason.

Also, also, your 3DS games have native cheats and patching through Luma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I only suggest injecting GBA games since its native but I use SNES9x, VirtuaNES, and mGBA (for original GB and GBC) otherwise.