Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orbis Tertius posted:

this paper owns

im in awe of their doombrain, it’s spectacular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

lizards drink water by lapping it with their tiny tongues like dogs

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

With the rapid depletion of this chemical energy, the earth is shifting back toward the inhospitable equilibrium of outer space with fundamental ramifications for the biosphere and humanity. Because there is no substitute or replacement energy for living biomass, the remaining distance from equilibrium that will be required to support human life is unknown.

they forgot one thing: we don’t need chemical energy if we’ve got nuclear energy :getin:

but we don’t. gently caress

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

when i water my plants, flying bugs gather to bathe in the droplets on the leaves. one bug per droplet. they roll around, lie on their backs, wave their legs, get their wings nice and clean, it's mesmerising to watch. i refuse to believe they have no capacity for joy

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

as a great man once said: have no fear of atomic energy, for none of them can stop the tide

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

oh no what the gently caress

help

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

"as soon as you are dead the people will turn to idol worship, and it will be the ruin of them, and it will be far funnier and more stupid than you could ever possibly imagine". and moses said lol. lmao

mahershalalhashbaz has issued a correction as of 01:20 on Feb 25, 2022

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
nuclear powered post apocalyptical Disney themed enclaves

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

imagining some ancient prophet being struck with a horrific ezekiel-esque vision of disney suburbs, blockchain, ikea, pacific trash gyre, plastic rainbows

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
no seriously the disney things are great, it gets all the insane disney fans in one place which they don't want to leave and no one else ever has to go there. it's perfect

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

no seriously the disney things are great, it gets all the insane disney fans in one place which they don't want to leave and no one else ever has to go there. it's perfect

yeah but it's gonna create a bizarre underclass of like doordash and uber drivers who have to dress in half-assed Goofy costumes

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

yeah but it's gonna create a bizarre underclass of like doordash and uber drivers who have to dress in half-assed Goofy costumes

they already have to dance on doorbell cam for their tips, this is only a half-step worse

well, until the next half step. and the next and the next and the

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/938617374339366973/944055949302329424/1645074618639.webm

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

emTme3 posted:

i found this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4534254/

it's maybe the best summary of the planetary thermodynamics of our situation i've ever found. these guys are maximally doom-brained.

the whole thing is extremely good poo poo, and it doesn't take long to make the case.

You're supposed to cackle madly when reading this, right? Because I ddid

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol at "2021: COP26 Goals blocked by China and India"

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

emTme3 posted:

it's maybe the best summary of the planetary thermodynamics of our situation i've ever found. these guys are maximally doom-brained.

the whole thing is extremely good poo poo, and it doesn't take long to make the case.

Tempora Mutantur posted:

literally without, they say that the 1029 is actually the super optimistic take because humans cannot actually eat significant portions of the biomass they're using for that calc (it's pure caloric energy counts by mass if I understand) nor is it counting the energy needed to actually harvest and convert the mass into food (such as the energy to fuel cannibal hunters in your example, or the energy to use a stove, or the energy and resources to repair existing stoves for example)

what a time to be alive!
lol no

There were 1200 years of biomass consumption at the opimistic take left in 1990 and then 1020 or so in 2000. Given growth since 2000 that means we have something like 600-800 years left or less. At that rate I'd say we have a good solid 60-80 years of unlimited growth left before the line crosses the zero marker so it's obviously not that bad, yet. Plenty of time for everybody who's alive to enjoy themselves without reservation before our great grandchildren flex their unlimited human ingenuity and solve the problem at the last minute like all the cool movie heroes do.

Complications has issued a correction as of 03:41 on Feb 18, 2022

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Complications posted:

lol no

There were 1200 years of biomass consumption at the opimistic take left in 1990 and then 1020 or so in 2000. Given growth since 2000 that means we have something like 600-800 years left or less. At that rate I'd say we have a good solid 60-80 years of unlimited growth left before the line crosses the zero marker so it's obviously not that bad, yet. Plenty of time for everybody who's alive to enjoy themselves without reservation before our great grandchildren flex their unlimited human ingenuity and solve the problem at the last minute like all the cool movie heroes do.

If it dropped by 180 years from 1990-2000 and we assume the following decades are the same (and not, say, worse), we optimistically have 36.666 (repeating of course) years left until the remaining biomass can sustain humanity at a basic metabolic rate for precisely zero years. Many of us will still be alive to get made fun of some more for our doomerism and relive society's turnaround in heroic docudrama form

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

RIP Syndrome posted:

If it dropped by 180 years from 1990-2000 and we assume the following decades are the same (and not, say, worse), we optimistically have 36.666 (repeating of course) years left until the remaining biomass can sustain humanity at a basic metabolic rate for precisely zero years. Many of us will still be alive to get made fun of some more for our doomerism and relive society's turnaround in heroic docudrama form

:hmmyes:

I need to stop doing math when tired because you are correct. Death by 2050!

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Complications posted:

Death by 2050!

:tipshat: Carry on

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
thinkin about who gets to eat the last reeses peanut butter cup in existence

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Laterite posted:

wouldnt be worth it without refridgeration. omg why are they so good cold? idgi

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Laterite posted:

think about this: humanity goes extinct before the last reeses peanut butter cup can be found and consumed

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Complications posted:

Death by 2050!

now there's a platform i can get behind

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Paradoxish posted:

think about this: humanity goes extinct before the last reeses peanut butter cup can be found and consumed

The thing is, once you run out of biomass to feed people, shortly there will be more biomass and fewer people.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

emTme3 posted:

lol goddamn. thermoeconomics strikes again

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
soylent green is a documentary from the future

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Cloks posted:

soylent green is a documentary from the future

Yeah its good people

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Violent overnight attack at Coastal GasLink site in B.C. leaves workers shaken, millions in damage

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Protagonist posted:

Maybe the honorable thing for our species to do is deny our programming, stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction, one last midnight - brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal

:yeah:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Trabisnikof posted:

lol at "2021: COP26 Goals blocked by China and India"

COPE26

and reference to IQ levels too, lol

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Yeah its good people

Tasty, at any rate.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Sometimes I think about this graph and wonder where we are on it:

Personally, I believe that we are in overshoot territory. Far, far into it. Most posters in this thread probably agree, maybe not as much elsewhere.

I think it’s rather obvious, though, that It’s just a matter of time before we burn through energy stockpiles and go bankrupt - we are consuming too much too fast. Technological advances pushed that carrying capacity line up and allowed our population to grow too rapidly and unsustainably. But our resources are limited, even with further advancement in tech. Also, the environmental degradation we are causing is exerting downward pressure on that line at an exponential rate. I really enjoyed reading that earth-is-like-a-battery paper and I think it describes our situation quite well.

So the questions in my mind are: (1) when do we hit die off, and (2) how hard is the correction going to be?

For #1, the average thread reader thought 2035, based on that poll someone ran a month or two ago. I think I responded with 2050 but really, it’s impossible to know. Maybe we’ll have some “top of the rollercoaster years” before the plummet begins. Maybe those years are now. Maybe they’re further ahead than we think. I have kids so I hope for their sake we have a lot more time on the clock, but… I’m not that optimistic. You can already see warning signs, what with changing climate, record breaking weather disasters, and the like. I’ve heard some people argue we are pretty secure in the US because we produce way more food than we consume, but I question that logic when the amount of food we have available is directly dependent on a JIT economy which may suddenly degrade and climate conditions that are rapidly changing.

For #2, the correction will probably be pretty severe - seems the further we are above the carrying capacity line on that graph, the more severe the correction will be. I don’t think humans are going to go extinct unless we render our planet completely inhospitable - unlikely but not impossible. That said, if a major correction does occur, it’s likely to send survivors back into the dark ages. Our global economy is too interdependent to weather a mass die-off.

To me, all of this is motivation to try to enjoy things while we can - live in the moment more, treat yourself and others as well as you can right now, because you don’t know what the future can hold. We are some of the luckiest people to ever live, being alive during what may very well be the zenith of human civilization - the modern equivalent of living in Rome during its peak. As doomer as this all sounds, it’s a pretty freeing perspective. Basically, “how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb” for today’s world.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Well, I guess we now know when the start of oil and gas related terrorism is.

Who had BC in the pool?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

:sickos:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

I re-watched The Big Short the other day and had something of an epiphany about this and maybe why our society is so catastrophically bad at undervaluing risk and overvaluing optimism.

When you 'go long' on a stock (or buy into/espouse/act in accordance with) the notion that something will be better in the future you are effectively making yourself a prophet of good news. This thing is good, and specifically, I (and you!) can benefit from my foresight on this subject. There are many ways that prophetic foresight manifests social value, like "buy these stocks and you'll make money" or "buy a house, you'll have a secure future" etc. but the basic premise remains the same: I know something is going to be good, and I can use that foreknowledge to profit myself by joining that venture and by sharing my insight so that others join as well. The social utility of people who display this behavior is obvious; you don't have much of a community or society without people banding together for common benefit.

When you 'go short,' the premise is inverted: you are making yourself a prophet of bad news. This thing is bad, you shouldn't participate in it, you should bet against it, you should avoid it. The thing is, this isn't symmetrically valuable to being the bringer of good news. There's no immediately obvious way that others can profit from a forecast of a bad outcome the way that they can from a forecast of a good outcome. So what's the value of the bad news bringer to the community? If everyone listens to them, and the thing they are warning about doesn't happen/bad outcome avoided, the obvious value is zero. Even if they were clearly, obviously correct (and that often isn't the case), you don't profit by listening to the guy who says the '08 housing bond market is hosed or who says the barn being raised is going to collapse (I'll get to short-selling in a sec) and staying out of it, you simply avoided some potential hypothetical losses - but the people tied to those endeavors are pissed because you kept others from supporting you. If no one listens and the event happens, everyone is pissed at you anyway because you knew and didn't stop them.

In the financial markets they had to specifically legalize short selling equities in the 30s because there was no incentive to step up and publicize even a very accurate forecast of bad news. Sure, you could avoid losses and maybe help others avoid losses, but avoiding losses is not a symmetrical incentive to gaining profits. Legalizing shorts helped balance that out by creating a financial vehicle for people to make huge piles of money if they were right (according to the market, in the future) that something was not going to work out. But there's something interesting about the way short sales are structured (partially fixed by options trading) that I think speaks to the asymmetry of optimism and pessimism in our society: if you go long, your gains are potentially unlimited but your losses are capped. If you go short, your gains are capped, but your losses are potentially unlimited. Betting a good outcome will occur is structurally less risky than betting a bad outcome will occur.

Now apply the same exact lens to poo poo like COVID or climate change. Where is the social or economic penalty for being wrong over and over and over on the side of optimism? It's extremely limited. Now look at the other side: you err on the side of caution (or hell, don't even make any errors but just talk about it a little too much) and you're a doomer, a chicken little, etc. Bottom line is, you can prognosticate incorrectly many many more times on the side of optimism and get away with it because we are socially conditioned to treat 'going long' and being optimistic as both more inherently valuable and less risky than 'going short' and being pessimistic. And when you can consistently profit from pathological optimism without suffering the consequences of your rosy view of the world, regardless of the actual outcomes, you can leverage that profit into greater and greater influence on the rules of the game - you can protect your bets by making it harder to bet against you. The status quo of our economic system is pathological optimists making pathologically optimistic bets and hiring other pathological optimists to run the optimist betting machinery, do PR for the bets being made, and write that no one could have predicted a bad outcome in the charred aftermath when those bets fail.
Pathological optimism at some point stops being the most profitable strategy and becomes the only acceptable strategy.

So what's the value of any of this navel-gazing?

In the 08 market collapse, the big optimistic betters almost all got cover from the government first to unwind their bets and then to sell off the crap they couldn't unwind when they turned out to be catastrophically wrong because our entire social and economic order is based on optimism being the default correct stance. Think about this for a second: we have baked in the correctness of pathological optimism into our culture to such a radical extent that even when we knew it was wrong to a degree that put the entire country's financial system in jeopardy of total collapse, the response was to pause the whole machine, change the rules, and make sure we protected the pathological (even fraudulently pathological) optimists from the consequences of their own terrible wagers before we started the machine up again.

That was in a system where the outcomes could be rigged to protect the gamblers when they were on the 'right' side. So what the gently caress happens when the system is the global climate or a pandemic and you can't bully it or cheat it or rig it so that the pathological optimist bet always pays out the way our society needs it to? In this society, anyone who says "things are going to get worse" becomes the equivalent of a crazed doom-saying prophet on the street corner because our society is no longer equipped to deal with the possibility of optimism being wrong. The prediction of the possibility (or likelihood) of a bad outcome is automatically apocalyptic because we can no longer prepare for or fix bad outcomes.

So don't be a doomer, you're really harshing everyone's vibe.

:nsa:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

just lol if you think adaptation is actually better or easier, especially at a local level

spent years volunteering with a group that lobbied/worked on climate-related resiliency projects and it's a loving dead end where you just constantly run into people with an immediate economic interest in preventing any kind of change whatsoever

the reason everything is poo poo and completely vulnerable to even relatively minor climate disruptions is because that was the cheapest way to do it, and absolutely no-loving-body is ever willing to consider the possibility that a costlier alternative is worthwhile

yeah but i just want to get it over and done with so we can move to doomer acceptance

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

awesome

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

emTme3 posted:

gracias, as has been mentioned i was wondering if someone had done this sort of analysis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i'm surprised that bit of reporting is as detailed as it is; usually PR folks work to make reports of attacks vague and sounding unsuccessful or minor

e: because that was organized as hell