Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol there’s nothing harvard loves more than bulldozing eastern europe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Destroy the ivy league

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fly Molo posted:

lol there’s nothing harvard loves more than bulldozing eastern europe

I was more lmao'ing at how Romanian had old-growth forest... because it was a Soviet state

and after the "post-Soviet liberation period".... all that forest disappeared

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
yeah but on the other hand, IKEA sells one billy every five seconds and as long as you don't stop to think about the limited nature of resources on this planet, it's fine

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cloks posted:

yeah but on the other hand, IKEA sells one billy every five seconds and as long as you don't stop to think about the limited nature of resources on this planet, it's fine

Excuse me? Ecofascist much??? We can EASILY provide enough furniture for everyone on the planet.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rime posted:

They're looking at bringing in gasoline pricing restrictions in BC, despite fuel not even being close in adjusted terms to the record highs of '08 (but massively high relative to our lovely deflated purchasing power situation).

That tells me that things are getting exciting.

Step one in America was straight up subsidizing money-losing oil operations. Step two is gunna be a repeal of the absolutely plithy 0.10 cent gas tax to say They Did Something. Step three is gunna be another iran war to get Saudia to give us more oil. Step 4 ??

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Fly Molo posted:

god drat it ikea :negative:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingvar_Kamprad#Fascist_involvement

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
i found this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4534254/

it's maybe the best summary of the planetary thermodynamics of our situation i've ever found. these guys are maximally doom-brained.

quote:

The implications of past localized collapses and global growth are of questionable relevance to the current situation, however, because now, for the first time in history, humanity is facing a global chemical energy limit. The earth-space battery paradigm provides a simple framework for understanding the historical effects of humans on the energy dynamics of the biosphere, including the unalterable thermodynamic boundaries that now pose severe challenges to the future of humankind. Living biomass is the energy capital that runs the biosphere and supports the human population and economy. There is an urgent need not only to halt the depletion of this biological capital, but to move as rapidly as possible toward an approximate equilibrium between NPP and respiration. There is simply no reserve tank of biomass for planet Earth. The laws of thermodynamics have no mercy. Equilibrium is inhospitable, sterile, and final.

the whole thing is extremely good poo poo, and it doesn't take long to make the case.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Ooh yeah I love earth-space battery

Sapience is a short circuit :science:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Car Hater posted:

Ooh yeah I love earth-space battery

Sapience is a short circuit :science:

quote:

Maybe the honorable thing for our species to do is deny our programming, stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction, one last midnight - brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

emTme3 posted:

it's maybe the best summary of the planetary thermodynamics of our situation i've ever found. these guys are maximally doom-brained.

the whole thing is extremely good poo poo, and it doesn't take long to make the case.

how on earth did you not choose this image instead

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
pea brained doomer: we have to live sustainably/rollback to stretch this sh*t out

human sized brain: don't look up guy was right about using the asteroid as a jobs program, we need outside energy

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

This is great.
Also, I love your stuff.

Loddfafnir has issued a correction as of 12:42 on Feb 17, 2022

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

emTme3 posted:

That is some spectacular doombrain. They should have sent a poet.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I was more lmao'ing at how Romanian had old-growth forest... because it was a Soviet state

and after the "post-Soviet liberation period".... all that forest disappeared

Uncle Joe was the first green leader.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Homeless Friend posted:

how on earth did you not choose this image instead

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

emTme3 posted:

i don't see the issue here, we just toss the battery in the trash and buy a new one at the store when it's depleted

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
If the problem is batteries then Tesla is making progress with batteries, probably. They get a lot of money and are researching ways to make their cars not explode so battery anything is probably a solved problem maybe.

The free market wants better batteries. Stop being worried about batteries.

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

emTme3 posted:

loving hell, that was a fun read

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Cloks posted:

i don't see the issue here, we just toss the battery in the trash and buy a new one at the store when it's depleted

we are the new battery, in 60 million years

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

The Wisest Moron posted:

Every day I get sadder that Jean Baudrillard isn't around to witness this incredible content.

skooma512 posted:

Really wish we had his take on NFTs and crypto. :smith:

Found Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyYBrywHmvg

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Cloks posted:

just save up to get good furniture, or buy used decent furniture of craigslist (not ikea stuff)

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
https://twitter.com/zlabe/status/1493949226513944579?s=21

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

only americans like ice in their drinks, this is just returning to normal

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
The earth was once mostly molten so no one should find fault with my plan to nuke every volcano on earth simultaneously. A molten earth is a natural and understood phenomenon.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

emTme3 posted:

holy poo poo i've been looking for a paper about exactly this for some time now, with actual numbers to back everything up. thanks!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

1,029 theoretical maximum years of food left lol

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

actionjackson posted:

Is this number with or without cannibalism after we've nibbled through the last remains of biomass in earth?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

actionjackson posted:

Bharatrocity posted:

Is this number with or without cannibalism after we've nibbled through the last remains of biomass in earth?

literally without, they say that the 1029 is actually the super optimistic take because humans cannot actually eat significant portions of the biomass they're using for that calc (it's pure caloric energy counts by mass if I understand) nor is it counting the energy needed to actually harvest and convert the mass into food (such as the energy to fuel cannibal hunters in your example, or the energy to use a stove, or the energy and resources to repair existing stoves for example)

what a time to be alive!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tempora Mutantur posted:

what a time to be alive!

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Tempora Mutantur posted:

what a time to be alive!

Not for long!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

lol

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1494385528300572685

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
There were honey bees swarming in my compost dumpster at work today.
I'm in Massachusetts. We shouldn't have bees until mid-April at the earliest. There is nothing at all for these poor ladies to eat- the ground is still brown and dead, not a hint of any early flowers emerging yet.
Guess our wild pollinators are going to die of cold when normal temperatures return in a week if they don't starve to death first.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Honey Bees are generally ok with it, as long as it doesn’t drop back below freezing. hopefully whatever bee farm they come from either left enough honey or is laying out snacks for them.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Car Hater posted:

Particle board, particle board

Replace the wood we cannot afford

How long's it last? Not important

Particle board

Kal
Jun 3, 2007

emTme3 posted:

C-SPAM > [Biosphere Collapse] rapidly approaching the chemical equilibrium of outer space

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Mayor Dave posted:

Destroy the ivy league

Ivy is an invasive species where I live, so I think you might be onto something.

:hmmyes:

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Kal posted:

C-SPAM > [Biosphere Collapse] rapidly approaching the chemical equilibrium of outer space

quote:

The logic presented above is indisputable, because the laws of thermodynamics are absolute and inviolate. Unless phytomass stores stabilize, human civilization is unsustainable.

this paper owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
can't wait for this thread to discover nicholas georgescu-roegen