Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Right now it's blue skies over Bristol. However with my experience of storms this is often how it can be mere minutes before it all goes to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Got an all staff email to say at home, not that I was going to go in anyway but now I can wear a dressing gown without feeling some pangs of guilt for my colleagues.

Except all the people who have to be on campus because it’s in their contract tho I’m sorry for them

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Forget the storm, just pulled the ol sacroiliac joint in the gym, been awhile since I last did that. Last time it took me about a year to get over properly, so really, really hoping this was just a twinge and not something more permanent

My partner had to help wash and dress me when I got back in. I genuinely feel a bit like vomiting from the pain right now lol

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Given the UK is full of idiots who don't know the difference between paedophile and paediatrician

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/aug/30/childprotection.society

IIRC this one was investigated and found to be an urban myth. What actually happened was two local yoots scrawled some graffiti on a wall. The rest is typical over-inventiveness published as fact.

For some reason I think it was The Register that did the actual investigating.

Ed: it was actually Vice.

Biggus Dickus fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 18, 2022

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
men up scaffold on the building site opposite work and cranes still operating, this whole storm is overblown

there is a man whose job appears to be fasten the bits of plastic safety netting back to the scaffold and they last like 30secs and he's been going back and forth for maybe an hour now, i assume his boss hates him

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm getting small bits battering my window now. I'm thinking of drawing my curtains. :stare:

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
you've missed the most vital piece of info there: bits of what? leaves? people?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Barry Foster posted:

Forget the storm, just pulled the ol sacroiliac joint in the gym, been awhile since I last did that. Last time it took me about a year to get over properly, so really, really hoping this was just a twinge and not something more permanent

My partner had to help wash and dress me when I got back in. I genuinely feel a bit like vomiting from the pain right now lol

poo poo dude, hope you recover quickly.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I have REMOVED the garden umbrella from its stand. Nothing more I can do, good luck out there everyone.

Necrothatcher posted:

Storm my arse.

:wink:

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Had to rush out to retrieve neighbours'* wheelie bins from the road. Experienced lots of invigorating sea air in less time than usual, would recommend if firmly anchored down.

*Is there a better word for people with flats in the same house as you?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Told the lady at the newsagent that maybe she should bring the postcard rack and lottery stand inside today.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

poo poo dude, hope you recover quickly.

thanks bud, me too...

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I’m looking to get on the BBC live blog, wheelie bins out with lids open and trampolines strategically positioned across the garden.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Needed to get some butter, glanced out the front door and all seemed calm apart from the jumbo-jet noise of wind blowing through the big building going up at the end of the street - but it sounds like that all the time so I didn't pay it too much mind.

Walked round the corner of the block, out of the lee of the building, and the wind said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gr0pKI-eeg

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Necrothatcher posted:

Told the lady at the newsagent that maybe she should bring the postcard rack and lottery stand inside today.

This you?

Necrothatcher posted:

Seems pretty calm in central London rn. Storm my arse.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Necrothatcher posted:

Storm my arse.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

David Duchovny's great-great-grandad peeping them revolutionary titties on the left there

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Ouch, how did you do that? Squats? Hope it improves soon

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Really starting to pick up here. Next door have so much garden paraphernalia it'd make a B&Q foyer blush, so it'll be fun to see where all that ends up later.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

goddamnedtwisto posted:

David Duchovny's great-great-grandad peeping them revolutionary titties on the left there

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Biggus Dickus posted:

IIRC this one was investigated and found to be an urban myth. What actually happened was two local yoots scrawled some graffiti on a wall. The rest is typical over-inventiveness published as fact.

For some reason I think it was The Register that did the actual investigating.

Ed: it was actually Vice.

The Vice article seems to be distorting things a bit, quoting the Guardian as saying the pediatrician was "hounded from her home" when that exact quote wasn't actually used in the article. It says that the local police speculated that the graffiti might have been the work of some local teenagers, but the inspector actually quoted in the Guardian article says nothing of the sort. So even if the police did speculate as such elsewhere, it doesn't appear to be the case that we can assume that's what actually happened.

Further, it links that event with the events in Portsmouth, which it describes as follows:

quote:

It turned out that around the same time, on a Portsmouth estate called Paulsgrove, residents had set fire to a car, whose 55-year-old owner was not a pediatrician. He was, however, on News of the World’s sex offender list.
But if you look at the linked article used to back this up:

quote:

At one point a woman, thought to have been Burnett's sister, came on the scene. Her car was turned over and torched.

That's not the same thing, VICE!

The article then finished off by referencing the events that led to the News of the World's closure:

quote:

Payne’s killer was sentenced to serve a minimum 40-year prison term, and News of the World would be forced to close in 2011 as a result of another kind of mob: public outcry over the paper hacking into the phones of the victims of the 2005 London bombings, as well as relatives of British soldiers killed in action and a 13-year-old who was murdered.

The allegations came by way of the more upmarket Guardian, which claimed News of the World had deleted crucial last voicemails from the slain teenager. But the Guardian ended up having it wrong. As authorities came to realize, the messages had probably been auto-deleted by the service provider.

Which is a skillful bit of misdirection--even if it is true the messages were auto-deleted, it doesn't change the fact that the NotW was hacking into people's voicemails! But apparently people being upset at such a flagrant violation of people's privacy makes them a "mob"?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Still perfectly still out. Unfortunately there's a cm of snow on the ground and it looks like it doesn't plan to stop anytime soon.

First snow that's actually lay on the ground here this winter.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

killerwhat posted:

Ouch, how did you do that? Squats? Hope it improves soon

Yup, squats. I was a bit tired and probably should've stopped one rep earlier, but no. Got loose, bent the wrong way, bam. It was deadlifts that caused the initial injury all those many, many years ago though

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Necrothatcher posted:

Storm my arse.

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's called a grunt hole you tory gently caress

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am never not going to imagine the gym attenders as looking like the guys from the meme.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Barry Foster posted:

just pulled the ol sacroiliac joint in the gym

It really is the worst place for a moveable joint, mine goes *twinge* on a semi-regular basis if I sleep in a wrong position but luckily nothing extra debilitating yet. If I leave it 24h of ache and then do a very specific lying down roll-twist-and-clench manoeuvre it will clonk back into place like a heavy car door closing.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I am never not going to imagine the gym attenders as looking like the guys from the meme.

I fuckin' wish lol, I am a lot closer to Buff Boy #4 in that picture

NoneMoreNegative posted:

It really is the worst place for a moveable joint, mine goes *twinge* on a semi-regular basis if I sleep in a wrong position but luckily nothing extra debilitating yet. If I leave it 24h of ache and then do a very specific lying down roll-twist-and-clench manoeuvre it will clonk back into place like a heavy car door closing.

Yeah, there was some other thing I used to do to relieve it, can't remember what it was, like bending the leg in a certain way

just gonna leave it the gently caress alone for now though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Everyone looks like their avatar unless they say they go to the gym in which case they look mega hench, and possibly also still sort of like their avatar, that's how it works, sorry.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

OwlFancier posted:

Everyone looks like their avatar unless they say they go to the gym in which case they look mega hench, and possibly also still sort of like their avatar, that's how it works, sorry.

Makes whatever noise a croctapus makes and returns to his bath.

They shut all the schools around here today, so I'm looking after the lad. We are supposed to be driving down to waymouth tonight, but may postpone until tomorrow morning at this rate.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
watch out everyone!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

I am not a dog.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just seem 3 recycling bins blow down the street like they were a family out for a walk.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

Top right looks like he's naked apart from a cushion. I will not be changing my mind on this.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's exactly how I'd browse the internet if I looked like that.

forkboy84 posted:

I am not a dog.
A likely story.

bessantj posted:

Just seem 3 recycling bins blow down the street like they were a family out for a walk.
Ah the useless trash receptacle family off to create problems for somebody else to fix.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Why is the guy lying down in the bottom-left not wearing any trousers?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Revolution started mid wank.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Why is the guy lying down in the bottom-left not wearing any trousers?

French worker revolts are all about not wearing trousers

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
UK citizens were ‘not fully informed on implications of Brexit’, EU report concludes

quote:

“British citizens had scant knowledge about the European Union and were not adequately informed about the far-reaching consequences of the decision to leave the union,” the report said.

“Citizens were never given a clear picture of the relationship that their country would have with the EU once it left, and were often misled about the implications of the withdrawal, especially as regards Northern Ireland.”

MEPs regretted the “restraint and limited engagement of the European Parliament and its committees in the run-up to the UK referendum”, saying it had left UK citizens “without full access to information on the functioning of the EU and the implications of the withdrawal”.

quote:

MEPs said “misinformation” had influenced the UK’s vote to leave and warned that future referendums were at risk of “disinformation, foreign interference and funding irregularities”.

The report said Brussels had achieved its “key aims” in the Brexit talks through EU unity in the face of a British “rejection of the obligations linked to EU membership”. It praised the bloc for swiftly identifying its objectives of securing the financial settlement, or “Brexit bill”, protecting the rights of citizens and the circumstances of Ireland.

In contrast, it attacked the UK Government for failing to plan for Brexit, which it said raised “the spectre” of no deal.

“The political and economic consequences of the decision to leave the union are significant,” the non-binding report said. “These were not genuinely and fully assessed by the UK prior to its decision to withdraw.”

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Strom Cuzewon posted:

French worker revolts are all about not wearing trousers
Contrary to popular belief, that is not what sans-culottes means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I mean the takeaway for everyone concerned should be ‘referenda are poo poo’