Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

From this week's Monday Meeting Notes, looks like Awakening isn't actually vaporware!

It feels like it’s taken ages and it’ll still take ages from now. I could be remembering wrong, but I thought it was announced while I was still running an Awakening game around two years ago. At some point you start to wonder why it takes so long to get to the point of layouts and then you still don’t get to see it for 6 months. This is not me calling out any individuals, but 6 years in almost since 2e was out and it just feels like there’s not much point in ever looking for it. Which is extra disappointing because of the good job that was done with 2e.

But don’t worry, they’ll have another 2 Ascension books out in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

cptn_dr posted:

From this week's Monday Meeting Notes, looks like Awakening isn't actually vaporware!

Genuinely pumped about this!

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm mostly just wondering to myself whether I'm going to buy it out of a sick fascination and a general sense of "well, it can't possibly be worse than some of the 'authentic' Ascension books I've already collected."

Based on the previews, it's not really enough of a car wreck to be worth considering just for that purpose. I think the final product is going to be kind of bad, but largely not in a way producing a lasting impression. It's not really feasible to commit to the sort of metaplot-neutrality M20 claims to represent, resulting in significant word count describing who's in charge depending on which timeline you're in (a thing no table has ever cared about) in some cases, and "no metaplot just kidding" situations like "your character's guardian order has left the Chorus" in others. M20's ongoing problem of not being sure if the Trads ought to exist at all is also still present, which is an unfortunate thing to say about the book that really ought to consider making a case for them.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Five Eyes posted:

Based on the previews, it's not really enough of a car wreck to be worth considering just for that purpose. I think the final product is going to be kind of bad, but largely not in a way producing a lasting impression. It's not really feasible to commit to the sort of metaplot-neutrality M20 claims to represent, resulting in significant word count describing who's in charge depending on which timeline you're in (a thing no table has ever cared about) in some cases, and "no metaplot just kidding" situations like "your character's guardian order has left the Chorus" in others. M20's ongoing problem of not being sure if the Trads ought to exist at all is also still present, which is an unfortunate thing to say about the book that really ought to consider making a case for them.

Yeah, that's about what I figured.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Five Eyes posted:

Given what all the Traditions have gone through it feels like the entire book could just be made Oops All Sidebars with "Okay, but if Horizon has fallen here's what the Verbena/Brotherhood/Chorus look like."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rand Brittain posted:

"but none of these will work because mages can't roll more successes than God."

Well, first of all through God all things are possible, so jot that down.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I never heard of Near Dark (1987) in relation to WoD, but after seeing the RLM review it's basically What If Thinbloods Are The Only WoD Vampires https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCU21cRMGgk

well except for the happy ending, Rich clearly gets it right

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Jhet posted:

It feels like it’s taken ages and it’ll still take ages from now. I could be remembering wrong, but I thought it was announced while I was still running an Awakening game around two years ago.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 16, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The best part is that the rules to be a Mage Revenant didn't exist before the guy went on a rant about how much of a bad idea it was... giving it rules.

It's a very 90s/00s RPG kind of thing for companies to put out books whose core premise they obviously hate and want to put out terrible rules for in order to invalidate them and act like there was never any other way.

Actually there's a bit of a toxic theme with RPGs, D&D 5e's development comes to mind, where there's an idea that game 'design' is not and should not be a thing at all- that the game's mechanics and rules are self-evident and the author simply writes them down, and if they actually let players do cool things they are obviously badwrongfun.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Can't wait for my children to read this with me when it comes out after they start high school in 2035.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Well, first of all through God all things are possible, so jot that down.

Said the hunter with True Faith as they smash a vamp in the face with a Bic pen imbued with the power of God.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That Old Tree posted:

Can't wait for my children to read this with me when it comes out after they start high school in 2035.

It'll make a great double feature with the Kith and Kin book for Lost.

Unrelated, that story about Ericsson locking the claustrophobic person in the wardrobe during his Kult LARP, I've heard some people say that he just had the character locked in and not the person but it feels like the hitch in that it was the... you know, live-action roleplay. Has anybody heard that was actually what happened?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Dawgstar posted:

It'll make a great double feature with the Kith and Kin book for Lost.

Unrelated, that story about Ericsson locking the claustrophobic person in the wardrobe during his Kult LARP, I've heard some people say that he just had the character locked in and not the person but it feels like the hitch in that it was the... you know, live-action roleplay. Has anybody heard that was actually what happened?

Based on the context of the story as-told, at least when it became something we all know, it would be weird to tell it the way he did if he didn't actually lock someone in an actual closet or whatever. If he didn't, it would make the whole thing less horrifying but 90% more pathetic, as he'd basically be lying about something to prove his 90's edginess. So either way not great.

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012
just popping in to say I really like Geist: The Sin-Eaters. fav splat line.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

"goratrix's balls is that your skin" was an incredibly wholesome reaction there in the book

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

Psh, that's what they think.

Facts: If there is a roll made by God, as it says, then no matter how infinitely large a number of dice he rolls — under the rules, so long as he doesn't spend a Willpower, he can still botch. I'm ashamed and proud to have thought that up the second I read it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Misandry Cannon posted:

:hmmyes:

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Misandry Cannon posted:

Same. With Changeling the Lost they hit the sweet spot of personal horror.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Ataxerxes posted:

those two are my favs

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012

Ataxerxes posted:

havent gotten to play changeling yet but ive heard nothing but good things. geist just really cuts to the core of what i want from an urban horror game. it has some of the best tone-setting of any nwod/cod book ive read too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I have wanted to run a Geist game that was just a cover for what is essentially a JoJo game with Geists being Stands for years.

Yes it's stupid. No gently caress you I won't apologize.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Fuzz posted:

I have wanted to run a Geist game that was just a cover for what is essentially a JoJo game with Geists being Stands for years.

Yes it's stupid. No gently caress you I won't apologize.

Honestly, if you emphasize the weird mystery and horror parts of Jojos and de-emphasize the fights it wouldn't even be a bad fit.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Honestly, if you emphasize the weird mystery and horror parts of Jojos and de-emphasize the fights it wouldn't even be a bad fit.

Most good Jojo's fights are just weird social anxiety nightmares that happen to end in a million punches anyway

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yeah a lot of jojo fights can be summed up as "oh god what is happening, why is it happening, what the gently caress, how is this even possible" body horror inspired by something the author Araki watched recently or read about or heard about and copied down, with each encounter ending when someone finally manages to land a punch on whatever is doing the horrible awful terrible thing.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

as a brazilian, the idea of stumbling into a bathroom stall with a portuguese-speaking sascha vykos asking to have sex is completely loving hilarious/terrifying while also completely appropriate to ambience, context and character

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah a lot of jojo fights can be summed up as "oh god what is happening, why is it happening, what the gently caress, how is this even possible" body horror inspired by something the author Araki watched recently or read about or heard about and copied down, with each encounter ending when someone finally manages to land a punch on whatever is doing the horrible awful terrible thing.

Yup. It's perfect for Geist.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

dead gay comedy forums posted:

as a brazilian, the idea of stumbling into a bathroom stall with a portuguese-speaking sascha vykos asking to have sex is completely loving hilarious/terrifying while also completely appropriate to ambience, context and character

lol

Which book is that?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FirstAidKite posted:

The first Jojo series is basically Dracula with more punch magic and melodrama.

And even with the introduction of Stands emphasises how strange, poorly understood, unpredictable and even dangerous to the user and everyone around them they can be. Hamon is incredibly difficult to use properly and requires intense and specific training and focus. So much of the series is the protagonists not only figuring out and working around their enemies' powers, but their own.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

ZearothK posted:

lol

Which book is that?

Beckett's Jyhad Diary for v20

fun for that VtM pulp only, though. Horror Recognition Guide it ain't, imho (and nWoD thus remains champion)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I have been reading the Changeling 20th anniversary over the last few days, and God help me I am considering trying to run a game of it. Has anyone actually run this thing and how did it work out? It seems tons better than the older version that we never quite got around to playing in high school.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I have been reading the Changeling 20th anniversary over the last few days, and God help me I am considering trying to run a game of it. Has anyone actually run this thing and how did it work out? It seems tons better than the older version that we never quite got around to playing in high school.

We did it by going just straight up urban fantasy. Somewhat embarrassingly in hindsight we were playing virtuous nobles, which, you know, nuts to that now but that was <cough> years ago. It's got some fun stuff you can do.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

That is definitely an angle I think would probably work. One of the guys in my group is a big fae stuff guy, so I think it is something that could actually get him into more games that are not standard fantasy adventures.

One big plus is he can probably pronounce all the names for things, which is more than I can do.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I have entirely too much Irish heritage to treat anything fae-related with a method other than "distract it with a bowl of milk before whacking it with a horse-shoe" so i never really bothered with CtD. What changes did they make?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

citybeatnik posted:

I have entirely too much Irish heritage to treat anything fae-related with a method other than "distract it with a bowl of milk before whacking it with a horse-shoe" so i never really bothered with CtD. What changes did they make?

basically old old changeling was...bad...It wasn't a great game in general but to make it worse it did the thing where ~creativity~ and ~emotion~ were key to changeling identity and they tied that to...basically being childish...You lost a lot of magic changeling points if you did things like...have a job...anything to 'stifle creativity' and all. Plus they got into some REAL lovely 'and also psych drugs were invented by evil anti-fae don't take your meds kids!!!!!' poo poo but that's par for the course for old WoD, I think every game wound up with a Pantex-esque 'maybe vaccines are the real monster' thing...

The new version fixed it by just leaning into urban fantasy tone instead of bullshit very forced ~whimsy~. Your fae self is powered by acting how a fae like it 'should' act, satyrs get blotto on the weekends and party it up but that's enough to keep them going if they have a normal job and life and all, pookah love to play tricks but that can be done in any way from doing Real Fae poo poo or just like...silly workplace hijniks with your friends, either way you get the nice glamour of going 'see how fun it is to be a rascal', etc.

Plus they shifted the focus hard. Old changeling was about nobles and fae nobles...loving suck to play. They're just like...shitheads, fae nobles suck and are boring. In the new one you're just a normal rear end fae, obviously nobility and all can be earned and that's typically a goal of a lot of folks but the whole 'thing' now is the struggle of nobility and what you want out of life and balancing your real life vs your fae life and all like any vampire or werewolf or mage would, instead of bullshit 'if you're a functional human being your fae side will DIE!!!!'.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

citybeatnik posted:

One of the biggest inconsistencies of the setting was that 'science = Banal.' Not a spark of Glamour to be found in a lab or around engineers or anything and yet what sparks off a big change in the setting with a bunch of sidhe noble houses coming back to Earth was... the moon landing because everybody's imagination was so taken with it it sparked a huge swell of Glamour and etc etc. So a tremendous scientific feat that reawakened imagination more than Woodstock (I know, I know, but it was mid 90's White Wolf) would also have seen to it that nobody working on it or even the astronauts on the shuttle would be the most banal people ever because of all those Numbers and Technology.

Now it's much more about not losing your sense of wonder. Like if you have an accountant who loves being an accountant and seeing what sums and figures can do, that's as good as being a performance artist to C20.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Literary and thematic competence in a whole were never a strong suit of white wolf back then I suppose. The whole "imagination and wonder! good things!" were highly prevalent in Mage too. I don't think it's particularly surprising, given what was being actually conveyed are the bougie notions of creativity and expression, but this is really demonstrative imho

So the space race, a massive endeavor that required a tremendous collective effort in many different fields of science, is not awe-inspiring because of that process, but because of the result. Since this is oWoD, it also must probably be some Technocratic time-table thing where they allow that tech to the present time. Humans never do amazing stuff on their own, there are only individual feats of history pushed by other creatures. Humankind is just there, for some reason.

Reading these discussions remind me one thing that flared up my mind years ago when enjoying the fluff: when bringing stuff like that together, there's a whole lot of loving spite against humankind in oWoD, even when they are trying to do otherwise, which is because of those notions of creativity I said above; humankind sucks but not you, because you are special, and you must defend what makes you special! Cue mages/fae/everybody else doing incredibly stupid poo poo to defend that while harming a lot of people. This is the most consistent tone I pick up in the entirety of oWoD, personally.

(and of course holy gently caress when we bring Vampire and Werewolf about this)

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

dead gay comedy forums posted:

when bringing stuff like that together, there's a whole lot of loving spite against humankind in oWoD

You can actually watch this attitude wax and wane in the games lines, it sounds like it probably peaked in CtD (although WtA also goes in on how it would have been better for existence itself if they had kept up with their brutal human culling) and just started to turn corner in Demon: The Fallen, when humanity was so amazing most of angels watching over them were willing to throw down with god. Of course, in DtF main book you have screeds and screeds about their wasted potential and the misery of modern society(TM White Wolf), offset by how the only reason your demon character is sane is due to experiencing human memories.

Humanity is treated far more neutrally in NWOD.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pakxos posted:

You can actually watch this attitude wax and wane in the games lines, it sounds like it probably peaked in CtD (although WtA also goes in on how it would have been better for existence itself if they had kept up with their brutal human culling) and just started to turn corner in Demon: The Fallen, when humanity was so amazing most of angels watching over them were willing to throw down with god. Of course, in DtF main book you have screeds and screeds about their wasted potential and the misery of modern society(TM White Wolf), offset by how the only reason your demon character is sane is due to experiencing human memories.

In the words of Rose Bailey (I think) who developed Requiem 2E, "Humanity runs the show, vampires just buy the popcorn."

The Revised editions did scale this back somewhat as well like emphasizing that all the large stuff humanity did on its own (at least Werewolf and Vampire did) but that of course only applies to the lines that got Revised.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Pakxos posted:

Some of the nWoD gamelines take a fairly humanist viewpoint, where horror emerges from humanity being cosmically insignificant and unimportant, but the gameline is interested in celebrating the human condition as meaningful nonetheless: Promethean, Changeling, Demon.

Hunter and maybe Deviant, ironically, kind of skew in the other direction, where humanity is empowered by its ability to organize and gather knowledge, but is afflicted by a violent, exploitative nature and a tendency towards mobs and vendettas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
W:TF 2nd edition has "Keeping yourself grounded by engaging with explicitly human activities for their own sake" as an important part of the gameplay loop. Because 1st edition was really loving bad about "Humans are the problem and the solution is death rage."