Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DigitalPenny posted:

I was really surprised at the time. After being primed about how it was going be a hard kore space Sim focused around a story living on carrier, I took the mature comments to be leaning towards the DCS or MS Flight kind or route. (Not space rape and packing bodies into boxes more effecintly)

I got a plucky rookie F22 pilot goes of mission in his multi million dollar fighter, parks it in down town Bagdad to knife fight ISIS in order to save his girlfriend.

Ultra cheesy plot written by a school boy, what ever it's a game but like mr.vision man how come your words of what you are trying to achieve from what you do. Just say cheesy over the top Hollywood quick action game and own it.

So... you're not wrong and you're not right.

Cig sold the Game to that demographic as being exactly what you described, DCS.

What cig sells and what cig makes are two very different things that rarely coexist in the same realm.

But it's all designed to do one thing: get you to buy the game because it's the genre you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

The Titanic posted:

With that said, I sure hope watching people react to winning an arcade game in the dynamic ai mess hall is really impactful gameplay, because that's apparently what Chris thinks is going to be the winning formula. :rolleyes:

Well, that's the kind of gameplay that their backers apparently cherish above anything else: just strolling through an environment casually, taking in the sights. So far they've been denied the full experience there, between parts of the world not loading in or NPCs T-posing on chairs or whatever, so you know that if CIG can manage to pull off an animation of some NPC fist-pumping to celebrate their high score on Super Sataball Commander, it'll be in every Star Citizen streamer's highlight reel for the decade.

Plus, Tony Z's magic quantum powers mean that some NPCs will get so good at winning arcade games that Star Citizen will spontaneously create its own in-game eSports sensation. (Quick, someone get Monocle Cat to whip out a tight 5,000 words on how players will be able to bet in-game currency on arcade championships!)

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
It's really something to look at the comments on youtube videos of gameplay that are like "Yeah, it's in development hell, but it'll be amazing," and then you see that the comment is 4 years old.

When I first joined this thread in 2015 everyone was looking at the nonsense surrounding this thing and posting this smilie :psyduck:

The tempo has slowed, but it hasn't gotten any less profoundly :psyduck: as the years go by

.random
May 7, 2007

Trilobite posted:

(Quick, someone get Monocle Cat to whip out a tight 5,000 words on how players will be able to bet in-game currency on arcade championships!)

It’s funny to me how supposed “backers” can continue to deny what is evident in front of their eyes. If they were to approach things in good faith, do you have any doubt they would discover how wrong they are? But that’s the thing: they refuse to engage “in good faith” and instead prefer to throw “bad faith after good.”

Some “original whales” come around and say how “arcade AI isn’t what CIG promised to spend my money on!” “My money” as though their contributions are very meaningful to this day when I have shown - through many well researched and sourced posts - that the majority of funding continues to be new backers and small backers… and not these huge “whales.” But that’s the thing. They think this game is being made for them, and they get angry when they hear it’s actually being made for all of us - those of us here in this subreddit now and those who have yet to find out about Star Citizen - and there are very many of those, fear not! But they will and funding will only accelerate.

But let’s take a look at the premise - that somehow arcade gameplay AI is not “important” to the ‘verse. At first, this seems valid - after all, some people in this world we live in may in fact never live to see - much less play - an arcade game, but their lives aren’t necessarily empty and meaningless. So, surely it’s ok if people (notice I don’t say “NPCs” or even “quanta,” since we all should realize by now what is being built here isn’t some lifeless Skyrim V clone or FIFA COD flavor of the week, but rather a living, breathing universe as Tony Z has said, where these INDIVIDUALS (yes, they are individual! Each with their own life and backstory and face and personality!) will live their life and what is the difference whether there is a human behind that or not at this point, so let’s just call a spade a spade) don’t get to play arcade games in the verse, right?

Wrong. The ‘verse is not our world (or else how boring would it be!) but rather what the future we can only hope for, and as such let’s consider even today’s trends. Today, we see sites like YouTube and Twitch featuring handsomely recompensed streamers playing games before huge audiences - some even playing Star Citizen, I’ll remind you. And their viewers feel engaged in the gameplay sometimes even more so than if they were even playing the game themselves. What is the logical next step here? Well I don’t know, maybe that we can begin to watch people play games within the ‘verse, live in person or streamed over Spectrum? How interesting that they are building core artificial intelligence so that not only can we have humans competing in such events, but other people now too.. almost as though they are planning to fulfill their promise such that you won’t know when you’re competing at the highest levels of ‘verse eSports, “hey, is my opponent another human? Or ‘just’ an NPC?”

It’s funny how people who supposedly want CIG to succeed magically appear to question these critical blocks to making the world one we all want to live in before they’re able to become implanted into the core gameplay loops, before they’re able to be fully realized and celebrated for what they are. It’s almost as if these bitter hate squads are worried that once these pieces of the game are fully implemented, it will be too late because we, the true supporters of the game, will finally see how amazing CR and Tony Z’s vision really is and we will fight tooth and nail to keep it. It’s almost like there’s a conspiracy to stop CIG before they can do these things, before it becomes too late to call Star Citizen a failure (whoops! It’s already too late for that, as I have shown in repeated posts demonstrating that CIG is on more solid ground than ever before and Star Citizen is more advanced than any other game out there but also still so full of possibility that the only failure here is their reading comprehension or their morality, you decide) and the public at large celebrates it for the success it is. It’s almost like that indeed.

.random fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 18, 2022

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

it really is simply amazing all these hacks have managed to 'get paid' (quite comfortably too I'm sure) for the past 10 years of utter failure

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Clearly he got his hands on some of Crobert's special vitamin blend

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UnripeAssuredBuckeyebutterfly-mobile.mp4

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

.random posted:

It’s funny to me how supposed “backers” can continue to deny what is evident in front of their eyes. If they were to approach things in good faith, do you have any doubt they would discover how wrong they are? But that’s the thing: they refuse to engage “in good faith” and instead prefer to throw “bad faith after good.”

Some “original whales” come around and say how “arcade AI isn’t what CIG promised to spend my money on!” “My money” as though their contributions are very meaningful to this day when I have shown - through many well researched and sourced posts - that the majority of funding continues to be new backers and small backers… and not these huge “whales.” But that’s the thing. They think this game is being made for them, and they get angry when they hear it’s actually being made for all of us - those of us here in this subreddit now and those who have yet to find out about Star Citizen - and there are very many of those, fear not! But they will and funding will only accelerate.

But let’s take a look at the premise - that somehow arcade gameplay AI is not “important” to the ‘verse. At first, this seems valid - after all, some people in this world we live in may in fact never live to see - much less play - an arcade game, but their lives aren’t necessarily empty and meaningless. So, surely it’s ok if people (notice I don’t say “NPCs” or even “quanta,” since we all should realize by now what is being built here isn’t some lifeless Skyrim V clone or FIFA COD flavor of the week, but rather a living, breathing universe as Tony Z has said, where these INDIVIDUALS (yes, they are individual! Each with their own life and backstory and face and personality!) will live their life and what is the difference whether there is a human behind that or not at this point, so let’s just call a spade a spade) don’t get to play arcade games in the verse, right?

Wrong. The ‘verse is not our world (or else how boring would it be!) but rather what the future we can only hope for, and as such let’s consider even today’s trends. Today, we see sites like YouTube and Twitch featuring handsomely recompensed streamers playing games before huge audiences - some even playing Star Citizen, I’ll remind you. And their viewers feel engaged in the gameplay sometimes even more so than if they were even playing the game themselves. What is the logical next step here? Well I don’t know, maybe that we can begin to watch people play games within the ‘verse, live in person or streamed over Spectrum? How interesting that they are building core artificial intelligence so that not only can we have humans competing in such events, but other people now too.. almost as though they are planning to fulfill their promise such that you won’t know when you’re competing at the highest levels of ‘verse eSports, “hey, is my opponent another human? Or ‘just’ an NPC?”

It’s funny how people who supposedly want CIG to succeed magically appear to question these critical blocks to making the world one we all want to live in before they’re able to become implanted into the core gameplay loops, before they’re able to be fully realized and celebrated for what they are. It’s almost as if these bitter hate squads are worried that once these pieces of the game are fully implemented, it will be too late because we, the true supporters of the game, will finally see how amazing CR and Tony Z’s vision really is and we will fight tooth and nail to keep it. It’s almost like there’s a conspiracy to stop CIG before they can do these things, before it becomes too late to call Star Citizen a failure (whoops! It’s already too late for that, as I have shown in repeated posts demonstrating that CIG is on more solid ground than ever before and Star Citizen is more advanced than any other game out there but also still so full of possibility that the only failure here is their reading comprehension or their morality, you decide) and the public at large celebrates it for the success it is. It’s almost like that indeed.

.random confirmed as monocle cat which mean monocle cat is Derek? (who is in the wheel chair?)

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

.random posted:

At least that is how I see it.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3sXyeuScN8

Some quotes:

quote:

What we currently have in Star Citizen is a lot of really cool environment, but pretty much no AI.

quote:

we are at what we call Phase Zero, the Engineering Phase.

Early years

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

LOL, they've also invented this never-before done before thing called a "navmesh"! What sorcery is this????

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL
Is phase zero before or after tier 1?

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Rugz posted:

Is phase zero before or after tier 1?

Buy an Idris

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

.random posted:

I love the new theory that the gameplay feels simplistic and arcade-style because Sony is licensing Star Engine to prototype all their new games.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

"sadly we can't scan more people's faces"
...do you not have 3D artists at CIG?

also this comment:

quote:

Fantastic work so far. Curious if dynamic pupil sizing is planned in the future.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

.random posted:

It’s funny to me how supposed “backers” can continue to deny what is evident in front of their eyes.
[...]
It’s almost like that indeed.

:five: :crobear:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Trilobite posted:

Well, that's the kind of gameplay that their backers apparently cherish above anything else: just strolling through an environment casually, taking in the sights. So far they've been denied the full experience there, between parts of the world not loading in or NPCs T-posing on chairs or whatever, so you know that if CIG can manage to pull off an animation of some NPC fist-pumping to celebrate their high score on Super Sataball Commander, it'll be in every Star Citizen streamer's highlight reel for the decade.

Plus, Tony Z's magic quantum powers mean that some NPCs will get so good at winning arcade games that Star Citizen will spontaneously create its own in-game eSports sensation. (Quick, someone get Monocle Cat to whip out a tight 5,000 words on how players will be able to bet in-game currency on arcade championships!)

So I'd have to question if this is true or not.

I know for the MMO side it's at least somewhat true and people want this.

But do they also want it for their very obviously on-rails single player mission based game? I'm not sure there.

I'd be curious to see what people actually react to once the thing is released, if it ever releases.

In my head, I imagine somewhat of a backlash as people get upset that it took cig 10+ years to make whatever they are going to deliver to people, and that people won't see the value of all of this incredible fidelity and attention to stupid detail that was put into the single player part of the game.

I feel that will be partially fueled by people realizing the game is boring and terrible and not fun to play, mixed with the knowledge that as they thought they were buying ships to fund star citizen, most of that money (that wasn't put to alternative use or pockets) went to sq404.

But I guess we'll find out, if we live long enough to see it release if it ever does.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jonny Shiloh posted:

LOL, they've also invented this never-before done before thing called a "navmesh"! What sorcery is this????

Something that was really annoying to set up in UnrealEngine (1… back in 1998), although in many cases it wasn't actually all that needed unless you wanted the AI to do very specific things or come at the player in specific ways.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

marumaru posted:

"sadly we can't scan more people's faces"
...do you not have 3D artists at CIG?

also this comment:

They seem to have some amazing architectural modelers. Their artists who make the textures seem a little less exciting.

The ones making the organic sand people though are not super amazing though. Outside of a handful of the characters based on real actors, their generated and created art seems to be less than stellar and borderline ugly.

They are nowhere near the level of uncanny valley and light years behind what stuff like Unreal is doing with humans.

They seem to be stuck in that late-2K era where characters started to look better but still look like a 3D model crossed with something out of Poser.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i really dont like how there seems to be several different artstyles in sc, even if individually art assets look technically good (its gotten a bit better in recent years though)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

meanwhile in bad & unfidelitious character creators (that probably dont even use 5000+ hours of mocap)

https://twitter.com/jadedpublic/status/1493980428662976514

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

What did the cat ever do to you to deserve this comparison.

Apex predator ≠ nadir developer.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I've only just realised he's in an omni-treadmill

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
What happened to sunk cost galaxy

where is binkyATX

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
hey

i'm drunk and i love you all.
tomorrow i won't be drunk anymore but i will still love you all.

because, you know, we like to hate star citizen because we love to be in this thread.

peace out.

edit: scrap the "peace out" i must be on vitamins are something...the rest is valid though!

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 18, 2022

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

marumaru posted:

Fantastic work so far. Curious if dynamic pupil sizing is planned in the future.

dare to dream

quote:

It would be nice to add more work to the reality of locations, for example on planets and stations. Why wouldn't someone be able to pick up a job, such as a cleaner to relax. Take people like a taxi. It would add more atmosphere and liveliness. If people played a song, for example, etc ... Of course, it would be a paid job. Of course when you add a hairdresser it will be great.

edit: are you really drunk if you don't post 30 times in a row?

L. Ron Hoover fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 18, 2022

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
You people were joking at mocapping janitors but apparently that's a highly requested profession and gameplay loop for players diving into a game that takes place in the year 3000.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Rad Russian posted:

You people were joking at mocapping janitors but apparently that's a highly requested profession and gameplay loop for players diving into a game that takes place in the year 3000.

I think my favorite profession is "medical gameplay" which, if implemented as they hope, would literally make the game extremely aggravating and nearly unplayable for anyone playing any sort of combat role.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

marumaru posted:

meanwhile in bad & unfidelitious character creators (that probably dont even use 5000+ hours of mocap)

Speaking of bad & unfidelitous character creators, has Dragon Dogma ever been outdone?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Man Dragon's Dogma was such a cool collection of concepts that was over much too soon. It's a shame it hasn't been iterated and expanded on yet except for that dire, dire Netflix anime.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think it's been heavily rumored, if not outright confirmed by the capcom hack, that dragon's dogma 2 is in development. I'm certainly looking forward to it

marumaru
May 20, 2013

FishMcCool posted:

Speaking of bad & unfidelitous character creators, has Dragon Dogma ever been outdone?

is it PSO2 where half the game is literally the character creator and the other half is clothes?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

marumaru posted:

Don't compare this trash with the SC hi-fidelity DNA2 system.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think it's been heavily rumored, if not outright confirmed by the capcom hack, that dragon's dogma 2 is in development. I'm certainly looking forward to it

It's Capcom though, they've been known to let projects just kind of flounder internally for years without any real support and then quietly cancel them. It doesn't mean anything until we have it in our hands.

Hell, it's entirely possible the anime was Capcom's litmus test of how interested people are in the IP. They've been known to do really stupid poo poo like that.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Man Dragon's Dogma was such a cool collection of concepts that was over much too soon. It's a shame it hasn't been iterated and expanded on yet except for that dire, dire Netflix anime.

I've heard Dragon's Dogma described as "the best bad game ever made," and I'm inclined to agree with that.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Itsuno is a game maker god and allegedly it went something like hey can you make Dragons Dogma 2 and he said I wanna do DMC5 first, and DMC5 was god tier good and surely made bank, so hopes are he started working on DD2 after that. Covid and weird console cycle prolly aren't helping though :negative:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I would not call it bad. It's a bit mechanically dense, ala Monster Hunter, and it's over well before you expect it to be, but it is a good game.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

haha holy poo poo :tviv:

SC is going to be the last game we ever need *faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arseface
Oct 13, 2021

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And thats like half the stuff that happened. And im barely scratching the surface of the game itself.

It's good to see the oral tradition alive and well. I barely remember what happened last week.